• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Dusknoir

I had nothing to buy this week just have to wait for my dcbs shipment(Omegaman, Superman: Loris and Clark, Batgirl vol 3.). So today I went into back issues and got Midnighter #1 and 7. I already own a CMX version but I want it in my hands. I also got Vader #24.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
OH, it is super savage at first haha. When I started out, I just read Hellboy obviously, until I got up through volume 6. At that point I'd figured out I was going to buy it all, but I also had the bug, so I couldn't really be patient about it. I bought Hellboy 1-6 quite slowly. But then, when you want to go over to BPRD you look at it, and it's like, oh dear haha. At the time Plague Of Frogs had jsut finished so at least a) it was just those 14 or whatever, and b) they were literally just doing the big collections, so I just got those. Jumping in now, there's relatively not THAT many more pure hellboy books. But there's another 13 volumes of BPRd on top of Plague Of Frogs, the 1940s books, now the 1950s books haha. And all the other stuff.

To be honest though, if I could go back, I wouldn;'t mind having it all there to read fresh again. It was so exciting having SO much stuff there to buy and all of it being so good each time. That's why I want to try the goon, there's a whole bunch of that.

I'm following that Multiversity reading order, just finished a few of the Lobster Johnson books

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
A comics thread in OT?

JtWSyBk.gif

I'm following that Multiversity reading order, just finished a few of the Lobster Johnson books

Aweosme have you got a link for that? I have no idea what they recommend. Lobster is so pulpy and awesome ahaha beware my claw! The iron prometheus is a really good book to read too, lots of things later you will recognise from that, it seeds a few things haha

Mindwipe

Damned straight.

We're in a golden age.

If you read CMX sales and Humble Bundles comics are dirt cheap and we have a more varied, interesting output of different genres and books than we've had ever.

The industry is almost certainly in a growth period too, but the channels are fragmented. That's not without problems, but ultimately the numbers are going up. It's just not particularly in any publisher's interests to collate and publish them publicly. The only audience who might be relevant is the direct market, and they probably don't want to hear the news "actually this book sells great, you should order more. But people haven't been buying it from you because your store is badly decorated and kinda stinks."

You wanna write an article that Marvel and DC are still too focused on books that sell well now and not things that will create a nice collection that gives long tail sales? I'd completely agree with that piece (but they're hardly the only media companies to do so). But the industry "dying"? Nonsense on stilts.

Donnie why'd you have to disappear when I was getting into Mignola LOL

I'm glad I got into it when I did at least. Looks like Library Edition 5 is getting hard to find now, at least if Amazon is to go by. I hope they do another for all of In Hell, it deserves one.

Whew been a busy few days. Today was my kid's first day back in school. I'll have to go through the last few pages and see what I missed.

I think Tom Taylor wrote All-New Wolverine Annual #1 on the toilet so he could take two dumps at the same time. Do not buy.

Donnie why'd you have to disappear when I was getting into Mignola LOL

I'm glad I got into it when I did at least. Looks like Library Edition 5 is getting hard to find now, at least if Amazon is to go by. I hope they do another for all of In Hell, it deserves one.

I am fairly sure I spotted someone ask mignola this on his twitter today, and he said in hell would be included in further library
editions, so you gotta nada to worry about!

Haha I'm sorry man! I'm sticking around this time. I am always down to shoot the shit over mignola and I need very little excuse for reread so just give.me a heads up whenever you guys are reading stuff and we can have a bit of a book club or whatever, discuss whatever you're on!

Lashley, you've made good headway already, have you got all this digitally or are you buying them as you go? I bet that reading order is spot on, those guys do food stuff over there. I provably would never go so in depth but if there's a perfect order that's not published order, I wouldn't be surprised if that's it.

So Spider-Man #7 was a good read. Kind of still illustrates where Bendis' strength lies, the character dynamics when he has his own sandbox to play with. I dug the heart-to-heart talk between Miles and Bombshell over whether Miles' should feel obligated to participate in the incoming fight in Civil War II. Of course, going by the future solicitations, it looks like he's going to have no choice thanks to Ulysses' vision.

Ms. Marvel #11 sucker-punched me in the feels. Like, damn that was a heartbreaking read.

Hey welcome back Messi :)

When I get some more expendable cash and have less of a backlog I'll look into his creator owned work. The Goddamned seems really cool.

Still making my way through the thread but if you haven't tried it yet Hagi, you gotta. The Goddamned is fucking awesome. Sadly it hardly ever comes out. If you can deal with that I heartily recommend it.

Having a tag is overrated. Really overrated.

bwa ha ha ha ha

That's a hell of a description.

In better news, Ms Marvel is still excellent. Miyazawa is a great fit for the character.

Glad to hear Ms. Marvel is great. Looking forward to that one.

Yeah it was just so lazy man. Laziest book I have read in a long time. There are weird inconsistencies in the story, the underlying plot is poorly thought out, weirdest cameo ever by
the Wolverine of Earth-8311, whose name he doesn't even get right and
which should have been hilarious but isn't. There are I think three good laughs in the book, so you're paying about $1.63 per laugh. There have already been a lot of fantastic, hilarious
body swap stories
so if you're gonna do one, you need to put some effort in.

There is one really funny bit though. I'm tempted to post it but I feel bad posting the best panels of a book.

Seems I'm not the only one who came to a certain conclusion after the latest issue of Detective Comics. Is this really gonna happen? Wow.

Nighthawk has been canceled, but according to Walker, "Marvel/Axel has been very supportive" and the company "has made it clear that they want more of Nighthawk and Tilda".

I loved the book, but it started off poorly in terms of sales so I expected this and I can only hope that the characters end up in a cool book with better sales potential.

Clearly the least surprising cancellation ever because almost nobody even reacted to this news but it still fucking sucks. The latest issue was great, too.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seems I'm not the only one who came to a certain conclusion after the latest issue of Detective Comics. Is this really gonna happen? Wow.
Regarding Tims death? Curious how Bruce will react, the last years since Damien came back it felt like he didnt cared the slightest for the boy he called his son once.

Superman #5
One of the best things about this issue was
Lois in the hellbat, and an inside view of the suit

That was really fucking cool but it bothered me that
The goddamn Batman didn't have better security on his BatMech

Also that it was soooo much better than the suit he used in Court of Owls and he...keeps it on the fucking moon?
Still it was a nice bit of fan service.

whats this

Looks to me like
another Robin is about to bite the dust.

Hey BLL did you post about your D&D game and I missed it?

Not sure I'll go for extraordinary x-men. Lemire is a fantastic writer on his own stuff but work for hire is up and down. Old man logan or moon knight look more likely as fitting him than x-men.

EXM is a fine comic book but OML and Moon Knight are a cut above. Two of the best Marvel books going at the moment.

I'm not sure if anyone else is reading it but got to say
having X-Haven in Limbo and relying on Magik to never get knocked out in the field is the kind of ridiculousness I can get behind. Savage Land would likely have been less of a hassle lol

Yeah it shouldn't work but they sell the shit out of it, in art and story. I fucking love it though I imagine it's a concept on its way to the dustbin.

Am I the only one who doesn't care for a lot of the more popular classic X-Men?

Beast? Terrible
Angel? Terrible
Xavier? Glad he's gone
Ice Man? Nobody knows what to do with him
Wolverine? Got milked dry and the current status quo is better
Storm? She keeps getting written opposite of characters I support/like more

I can take or leave characters like Cyclops and Jean.

I miss classic Wolvie. I do. Iceman was a favorite as a kid (probably because he was one of Spider-Man's amazing friends) but he hasn't been interesting in a long time.

Angel is the only one I am going to really have to disagree with you on...provided we are talking about the character throughout his history, both Angel and Archangel. He has been the focus of a lot of cool stories, most recently the Dark Angel Saga which people were raving about in here a few days ago. He was boring as fuck initially but few characters have suffered as much for mutantdom as much as Warren.

Also he's Psylocke's bae

Can we all agree that Miles has no chance with Kamala and should hook up with that Danica girl?

This was a terrible post

All right I just realized this is probably pretty boring for you guys, and also that a bunch of my favorite Image books came out all at once so I'm gonna go read some comics. But I want to talk about Klaus and a couple of #1s from last week later.

H

EXM is a fine comic book but OML and Moon Knight are a cut above. Two of the best Marvel books going at the moment.

Haha I managed to find an issue with OML too, at least that's more stupid trade decisions rather than judgements on the book. I'm still trying to chisel down the marvel books I'm going to grab from the all new all different wave. I have too much to buy.

Not boring at all man, nothing wrong with catching up on the chat

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Hey BLL did you post about your D&D game and I missed it?

It's happening on Sunday! Last weekend I gave them their character sheets (the pre-made ones from the Starter Kit, they'll make their own if they have fun), and I've been fiddling with the adventure for the last few days. I'm beyond excited, I think they're getting pretty into it. I'll let you know how it goes!

TheFlow

Banned

Also that it was soooo much better than the suit he used in Court of Owls and he...keeps it on the fucking moon?

Looks to me like
another Robin is about to bite the dust.

yea, it was way to easy to easy for
lois to use it

ElNarez

Banned
"it would be cool if people worked 20-hour workdays for a comically low amount of money" god that OT thread is SO BAD

SO

BAD

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is this the first time a book distributed by one if the big two is on Humble Bundle?
And please tell us if you participate if the Comic beeing added to Comixology

MG310

Some of the NYCC panel schedule is up on the app.

Nothing too exciting up there yet...DC panels bumping into each other with the Batman family one starting 45 minutes apart from the Young Animal one.

Looks like Erica Henderson, Babs Tarr and Terry & Rachel Dodson were added to the artist alley last since the last time I looked.

Fucking facts right here

I miss classic Wolvie. I do. Iceman was a favorite as a kid (probably because he was one of Spider-Man's amazing friends) but he hasn't been interesting in a long time.

Angel is the only one I am going to really have to disagree with you on...provided we are talking about the character throughout his history, both Angel and Archangel. He has been the focus of a lot of cool stories, most recently the Dark Angel Saga which people were raving about in here a few days ago. He was boring as fuck initially but few characters have suffered as much for mutantdom as much as Warren.

Also he's Psylocke's bae
Hal Jordan's been a part of a lot of cool stories, too, but it doesn't make him any more or less boring. That's not the main point, though. My main point is that my issue with Warren is currently what's happening in All-New X-Men, which is actually both interesting and frustrating. SPOILERS FOR ANXM #12
On the frustration side, it feels like Warren suffers from the Jean Grey problem: we had one cool story revolving around a singular character-exclusive plot element, and now every story we tell afterwards with this character is going to involve that element. Or we just end up skirting around it. In Jean's case, that was the Phoenix and in Warren's, it's Archangel. Now, that's not to discredit any of those stories. They're good fucking stories, but it doesn't change my ultimate point of "We don't know what to do with this character, so we'll just keep doing the same thing again and again." Same thing with DC and Red Hood and Arsenal. "What do we do with Red Hood? Don't know? Have we done a story about him being the angriest Robin and how he was killed and he's not dead? DO THAT!" or "Arsenal? Have we done a story about him being an addict? Something along those lines? DO THAT! Wait, he had a kid? We killed her though, right? So now he's an addict? DO THAT!"

Now, on the side of interest: I find it incredibly interesting that the O5 are falling into the same traps that their adult selves did. I brought it up before with Hank going behind his team members' collective backs by experimenting with time travel in order to bring them back. Something that adult Hank was called out for and subsequently ostracized. So now young Hank, despite pushing that he and the rest of the O5 would choose their own paths, they are actually doing the same shit. Actually, it's happening to them even earlier in life due to their premature exposure to their futures. This little revelation is proved to be even more interesting given that Warren, the one that was the absolute biggest proponent for changing his future due to the whole Archangel-into-tabula-rasa future he has going for him, is actually going through a similar thing to Archangel yet again. His cosmic powers that he chose to keep have now taken a hold over him, as they get hotter and hotter which is forcing him to find a release. Obviously, that means burning the shit out of bad guys. Laura even comments on how he looked (something along the lines of crazy) when he was fire blasting all those demons, which I think is even more interesting that she'd be the one there, given that she's worked with adult Warren before on X-Force and has seen first hand what the Archangel persona would do to him.

Basically, I'm getting exhausted of these characters showing up and getting the same stories again and again, but I'm forgiving this one because the whole arc of these characters falling into the same traps regardless of age or motivations is an intriguing one and really is the only reason why I'm still reading ANXM.

And no, I'm not even bothering to bring up the current Uncanny book, because that shit is terrible and incredibly stupid.

I love the
Hellbat design. Aside from that issue the only time it's been seen was in Tomasi and Gleason's Batman and Robin run to invade Apokolips.

hXEXtoX.png

Top Bottom