• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I'm behind on New Avengers so I don't know what that version of Wiccan was like, but this is the one from Battle of the Atom.

I'd completely forgotten he was in that. The one I was talking about was literally in two pages. One he was just talking from off screen, the other was a full page splash.

Edit:mWait, why would Wiccan be in the Future X-Men, anyway? And are you basing that on something or just that he was wearing the same cloak in the cover that was released?

Sandfox

Do we even know wtf happened with the uncanny one?

Last time I remember him was at the end of WATXM where he died and came back to life wuth no memories and back with angel wings, he was "pure".

Did I miss some Archangel story somewhere?

According to the wiki it's explained in the current Uncanny run.

Do we even know wtf happened with the uncanny one?

Last time I remember him was at the end of WATXM where he died and came back to life wuth no memories and back with angel wings, he was "pure".

Did I miss some Archangel story somewhere?
It's explained in the current run, but it doesn't make a lick of damn sense. It basically ignores previous continuity. Here's what I said about the most recent issue:
Uncanny X-Men #10
So this was a strange end to the arc, but let's recap so I see if I can understand how this all works:

-Warren's wings begin to grow back, and despite him being tabula rasa'd long ago, he remembers them
-He goes to Genocide, leader of the current Akkaba, who promises to remove his wings and keep him from changing
-Warren then uses his healing powers (which he has) to masquerade as a priest
-Magneto somehow gets a hold of the "true" Archangel and uses it as a personal predator drone
-Magneto then, at some point, pretends to be Betsy and summons Archangel
-When doing this, a whole swarm of Archangels appears, because it turns out that the Akkabas were making an army of potential Apocalypses.
-Betsy helps Warren and the "true" Archangel fuse back together, since apparently they were separated somehow.
-Warren now has a church in his head

That sound about right? Because that shit was nonsense and the ending was even more nonsense. I know some books avoid previous runs, but this us just stupid.

Or am I just really stupid that I'm confused by this? Also,
what were Mystique and Fantomex doing for Mags? I literally don't remember. They showed it during the Land issues, but that's probably why I don't remember

Yo, Rich Ryder is coming back? This is fantastic news. Fucking love that guy.

Does anyone have the Animal Man omnibus? Worth getting? HAve my eye on it

Sandfox

I'd completely forgotten he was in that. The one I was talking about was literally in two pages. One he was just talking from off screen, the other was a full page splash.

Edit:mWait, why would Wiccan be in the Future X-Men, anyway? And are you basing that on something or just that he was wearing the same cloak in the cover that was released?

He looks exactly the same and that Wiccan was Sorcerer Surpreme complete with the Eye of Agamotto, which fits the premise of the book.

Messi

I really don't like Wiccan and Hulkling but I understand their importance.That Wiccan story in New Avengers was yawn worthy and he was easily the most boring Young Avenger.

Where is Karolina from Runaways these days? Also Gert

My wife really enjoyed the female Thor series. It seems to continue with Thors... is this where she should go to continue the female Thor story?

TheFlow

Banned
Ok guys let me know what you think about these books

Gotham academy: does it improve past the first volume?

Lumberjanes: still solid in the later issues?

Zombine

Banned

I can't speak in regards to Academy, I only read an issue or so. Lumberjanes is just...amazing. It's genuinely one of my favorite books.

Mafro

My wife really enjoyed the female Thor series. It seems to continue with Thors... is this where she should go to continue the female Thor story?
Thors was the Secret Wars tie-in. If you're not reading that crossover then you can just skip that and start from the Mighty Thor relaunch.

Messi

Gotham Academy was amazimg from issue 1 if you didn't like that it won't change your mind now.

Lumberjanes isn't as good anymore imo lost a step when Noelle Stephenson left

TheFlow

Banned
Gotham Academy was amazimg from issue 1 if you didn't like that it won't change your mind now.

Lumberjanes isn't as good anymore imo lost a step when Noelle Stephenson left

I can't speak in regards to Academy, I only read an issue or so. Lumberjanes is just...amazing. It's genuinely one of my favorite books.

Ah gotcha. I have the first trade of both , but wondering if I should read them since I gotta take them back today

I will let yah know what I think

lol.

1KHj1Um.png

Zombine

Banned
If people give me a list of books they want to see in the Comic Start Up Guide I'll add them in.

Removing Valiant entirely.

Messi

If people give me a list of books they want to see in the Comic Start Up Guide I'll add them in.

Sunstone and Death Vigil please. I'm not joking just make sure people are aware of sunstones disgusting lewd elements. Wouldn't want to accidentally lure people in again.

Also Manifest Destiny and Birthright

Messi

Yeah all of those will go on there

It's outdated by about 2 years now.

Is iZombie on there?

4 kids walk into a bank
We can never go home
The Fix
Giant Days
I hate fairyland
Lazarus
Low
Monstress
Paper Girls
Rachel Rising
Rumble
Shutter
Velvet
Wayward

Theres a few for you.

Deadly Class and Revival should be on the list too!

Messi pretty much covered anything else I read.

Edit: Transmetropolitan too and Morrison's Doom Patrol

Just watched all 8 episodes of Stranger Things yesterday in one sitting. That show rocked. I want more Goonies/stand by me influenced media. The vibe of the adventures in the 80s of the movies we got is not something you see a lot of anymore. Kids riding bikes, going on adventures and stuff. Love it!

Boogiepop

Okay, so someone (presumably Launchpad) help me out with this Valiant sale on comixology. Looking things over, here's what I have: Harbinger Deluxe Edition Vol. #1, Eternal Warrior vol. #2, Harbinger Wars, Rai Vol. #1-3, and issues #1-4 of Faith. I also have in print the first volume of Bloodshot (which was okayish IIRC), Shadowman (which I found kind of not very good), and Quantum and Woody and Archer & Armstrong (neither of which I've read yet). Though with those print ones I wouldn't be opposed to getting the series in digital if need be as well just to consolidate everything, though it'd of course be lower priority.

So yeah, with that in mind, what should I be looking to grab if I want to catch up on the current Valiant universe, with maximum cost efficiency? Would really appreciate a little help.
Screw it, I'll figure it out myself, then. (To be honest, the biggest thing intimidating me is how I don't recall why I own Eternal Warrior vol. #2 specifically, but I'm sure there was a reason, so I'll just tough it out and do the research). I guess I'll report back what the damage was once I have it all figured out...

Edit: I can't recall if More than Meets the Eye is on that list, but if not it deserves to be, especially since it's such a damn good comic that's so incredibly easy for people to overlook.

Here's 3. Might add more later.

Usagi Yojimbo -

1) First the FB collection

Physical - http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Fan...PECIAL-EDITION-SC-BOX-SET-(C-0-1-2)/JUL151374

2) Then the Dark Horse Saga collections

Physical - https://www.amazon.com/dp/1616556099/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Digital - https://www.comixology.com/Usagi-Yojimbo-Saga/comics-series/22945

Love & Rockets -

Digital - https://www.comixology.com/Love-Rockets-Library/comics-series/9149

1) Locas , Jaime Hernandez - 5 books

Maggie the Mechanic
The Girl from H.O.P.P.E.R.S.
Perla la Loca
Penny Century
Esperanza

2) Palomar, Gilbert Hernandez - 3 Books

Heartbreak Soup
Human Diastrophism
Beyond Palomar

Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck (Don Rosa Library)

Volumes released every 6 months. 5 volumes out currently.

Physical - https://www.amazon.com/dp/1606997424/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Zombine

Banned
Thanks! Those are great. Also going to be looking for Rebirth pulls for the list. We're all over the place in regards to what has been considered "good" so far. I personally love most of the books.

Boogiepop

Welp, it was expensive, but I am officially 100% caught up on Valiant (I think. I believe there was one title in the list at least that wasn''t in the sale, like something about a Geomancer, and maybe a handful of one shots? But still, yeah). On the plus side, with Dark Horse, Dynamite, DC, and now Valiant essentially having "buy whatever the hell you want from us", and Image also having a damn big sale, the only thing I can imagine proving at all dangerous to my wallet on Comixology is, like, an Invincible sale that catches all the way up (and I'm already caught up to the point that the last sale went up to, so even that wouldn't be too bad).

But yeah, after that, my wallet is going into freaking hibernation for a bit. No more crazy and expensive purchases out of nowhere for me, because I just spent waaaaaaay too much on Comixology when you add together all those sales.

Zombine

Banned
Welp, it was expensive, but I am officially 100% caught up on Valiant (I think. I believe there was one title in the list at least that wasn''t in the sale, like something about a Geomancer, and maybe a handful of one shots? But still, yeah). On the plus side, with Dark Horse, Dynamite, DC, and now Valiant essentially having "buy whatever the hell you want from us", and Image also having a damn big sale, the only thing I can imagine proving at all dangerous to my wallet on Comixology is, like, an Invincible sale that catches all the way up (and I'm already caught up to the point that the last sale went up to, so even that wouldn't be too bad).

But yeah, after that, my wallet is going into freaking hibernation for a bit. No more crazy and expensive purchases out of nowhere for me, because I just spent waaaaaaay too much on Comixology when you add together all those sales.

I've been taking it slower myself because NYCC is coming up quick and I have to come up with the $900 for the hotel by myself this year. I get paid bi weekly, so there's only about 5 more pays until NYCC
:(

VanWinkle

You know what I think would be really cool? If Comixology made a feature where you could make custom collected edition "playlists". Like, where you could put multiple single issues together in whatever order you want and then you can title it, and when you're in the "playlist" all of the issues just come one right after the other with no break. That way you could put tie-ins and stuff in proper reading order and just read them all together without having to go through the interface for each one.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #1: Never cared much for Venditti before but this was a really solid issue. It is infinitely better than Green Lanterns (worse Rebirth title imo). I was bummed when I saw the gorgeous Kevin Nowlan cover because I wish he did more interior work but Sandoval's art was actually fairly reminiscent of Nowlan throughout the issue. I expected to drop this title quickly because of Venditti but I like it a lot. 3/5

Detective Comics #937: I'm not as high on this series as everyone else seems to be but this was the best issue so far. Looking at the superb artwork, the number of bat characters and the action-packed story with big reveals and cliffhangers, this kind of feels more like the flagship Batman title than the weird (but enjoyable) side-story King has been telling so far. My one criticism: I understand that there's always going to be a lot of repetition in mainstream superhero comics but now suddenly we have two new super secret societies that have been operating in Gotham for years without anybody noticing? The Batman writers have used that trope a little too much in the last few years. 3/5

I'm finally done ith DC for this week! Now it's back to Godzilla, Supreme and Don Rosa.
Edit: I didn't even notice Don Rosa was mentioned a few posts earlier. Definitely a great suggestion. He deserves more respect than he has gotten, his work is super popular in Europe but few people know his name.

Screw it, I'll figure it out myself, then. (To be honest, the biggest thing intimidating me is how I don't recall why I own Eternal Warrior vol. #2 specifically, but I'm sure there was a reason, so I'll just tough it out and do the research). I guess I'll report back what the damage was once I have it all figured out...

Edit: I can't recall if More than Meets the Eye is on that list, but if not it deserves to be, especially since it's such a damn good comic that's so incredibly easy for people to overlook.

I'd grab the book of death, armor hunters and rai deluxe editions

Is it possible for you to include the black panther book club link. New arc starts August 10
Possibly

I'll second whatsinaname and say Love & Rockets

I'd also recommend taking Rachel Rising and Strangers in Paradise out of the Image section since they're not Image titles.

For more suggestions:
-Lady Killer (Dark Horse)
-Shade, the Changing Man (Vertigo)
-Power Girl: Power Trip
-Catwoman by Brubaker
-Daredevil, Elektra Lives Again, and Elektra: Assassin by Frank Miller
-X-Force/X-Statix by Milligan (surprised you don't already have this listed)
-Paper Girls
-We Can Never Go Home (Black Mask)
-Megahex (Fantagraphics)

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't like Wiccan and Hulkling but I understand their importance.That Wiccan story in New Avengers was yawn worthy and he was easily the most boring Young Avenger.

Where is Karolina from Runaways these days? Also Gert

Gert died, and was teased about coming back but then Runaways ended and doesn't look like it's ever coming back. Karolina started dating Julie power and shows up in the background of any issue where they want someone awesome looking, I.e. young Avengers 14 and 15.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again. Speed is the most boring Young Avenger, by a country mile.

Messi

Hey where is Isak_Borg now that his NDA is over with Comixology. He promised dirt the day it ended and he never showed. So was he just full of shit... Probably.

Top Bottom