• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yet to read Thor: God of Thunder, might check it out since it's highly praised

Which trades are recommended?

Mafro

So, I've taken it upon myself to attempt to catch up on the Marvel universe. I've always wanted to be up with continuity, but have never actively tried. So, I found a "reading order" for Marvel NOW! to Secret Wars. "This will be easy!" Oh dear. I was wrong.

http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/marvel-now-checklist/

Take this. Then knock out things I don't care about (Ex: Fantastic Four) and holy shit its still a lot. So far I've carved my way down the list to Avengers Arena over the course of roughly two weeks. I've skipped a few like FF and Gambit, quit some others because I wasn't into it like X Men Legacy and Dark Avengers. Still a lot... But I'm gonna do it. I'm going to conquer this beast.
Fraction and Allred's FF was one of the best books of that relaunch.

Uh oh.....

dc-comics-black-canary-premium-format-figure-300287-05.jpg

She's only $450. Hmmmmm......

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
All New Wolverine continues to be a joy to read. I hope the sisters don't die. It was nice seeing Taskmaster again.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Well I'm about to head to a cabin on a lake for Fourth of July. So long, turkeys. Stay safe, have fun. Don't read comics. The usual.

anaron

Batgirl #1 by Hope Larson and Rafael Alburquerque (July 27) - Eisner Award winning writer Hope Larson teams up with super cool artist Rafael Alburquerque for this relaunch of Batgirl. When Barbera Gordon is feeling lost, she does what any privileged white 20-something American would do: backpack around foreign countries! Japan! Martial arts! Old friends! New Enemies! Rafael Alburquerque!

lmao

1K comics in a year seems a lot easier than the 50/50 I've done the past three years. Let me count up my total so far this year. I'm probably ahead of the pace.

1K comics in a year seems a lot easier than the 50/50 I've done the past three years. Let me count up my total so far this year. I'm probably ahead of the pace.

Are we talking about single issues? If so, it's easy. It would average to about 20 issues per week, but between weekly pick-ups and whatever trades we read throughout the year, it's not that high a number.

TheFlow

Banned
That lying cat statue is amazing! like damn

Anyway guys I am reading Uncanny X-men from the beginning and damn is it fucking amazing.

From the first 27 pages we are introduced to Storm, nightcrawler, banshee, wolverine, sunfire, Colossus, and thunderbird.

I love how the Professor got each one of these people to come with him by playing to their personalities. Colossus had the most touching departure since he left his family including a young Magik

Sandfox

Alonso low key called out Rich in the newest Axel in Charge as well as some of the more toxic fans on the internet lol.

McBryBry

You should actually go back and read Fantastic Four and FF if you want some of the threads leading into Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers which lead into Infinity and Secret Wars. Really all you need to read are those books and Bendis's All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men.

Fraction and Allred's FF was one of the best books of that relaunch.

I've just never been into the Fantastic Four. I can try them I guess, but no promises.

I know there's only a few books needed, but there's so many I'm interested in that I'm willing to give this giant thing a shot. Plus I like events so I'm excited to hit all of the newer ones.

To the 1000 issue challenge... I doubt I'll pull it off, but maybe this will make it happen.

I lazily linked to the whole page of AVC's comic features for this week already, but I just wanted to highlight this marvelous interview with Eisner award-winning colorist Jordie Bellaire (Journey Into Mystery, The Manhattan Projects, Moon Knight). Coloring and inking are both still kind of a mystery to me...I don't know much about the process and I have no eye for it; it's not often I can look at a page and say "this page sucks/rocks because of the colorist/inker." So I found this quite fascinating and edifying as well. She seems like she'd be a cool person to meet, too - down to earth and a great sense of humor. It's amazing to me that one of the best colorists in the industry knew literally nothing about the field five years ago.

Hope you guys enjoy it. Some highlights:

I met Declan [Shalvey, a comics artist] in New York City not even two months out of school. Him and I were talking, and he was asking me what I wanted to do with my life, and I just said, “I just want to be happy.” He said, “You’re aimless.” I was like, “Fuck you.” He was all like, “You really like comics. You should try to work in comics.” So he encouraged me to keep drawing. It was hard when you start dating this magnificent titan of talent like Declan who can draw a horse when you say, “Draw a horse.” It took me a long time to draw a horse. So, I started thinking, “I just don’t have it in me to draw fast.” He doesn’t like to hear it, but I think that kind of waned on my dreams of being an artist-artist. I don’t blame him for it. Again, he sometimes takes insult to that. It’s just, you know, I started realizing maybe I really don’t have what it takes.

One day, he was talking about getting colors for something. I was like, “What do you mean getting colors for something? Don’t you…?” Because I had also gone to school where I colored my own stuff. He was like, “No, no. There are colorists and letterers.” It’s weird for someone who’s been such a big fan of comics all my life—I never put together that those were different jobs. It was really bizarre. It’s one of those weird moments where I was really ignorant. I was like, “I can do that.” He was all, “I guess you can try, but you’re not going to get the gig, but you can apply for it anyway.” So, I applied for it but didn’t get the job. He was like, “Don’t let that stop you, though. Go in.” So, I kept trying mostly to also make rent. I was really, really, really broke in New York City. My illustration gigs weren’t going too well.

It’s really hard to make it as a freelance illustrator in New York City sometimes, especially when you’re right out of college. So I started coloring practice things to see if I could get jobs, and then who’d hire me. Stephen Mooney hired me on an IDW short that he was doing for Angel: Yearbook, which was the last big thing that came out there. After that, it was awesome. A lot of these artists that knew me from college—Chris Samnee, Tom Fowler, Ramón Pérez, and Declan—they knew me from my art-art, and when they started seeing I was coloring comics they were like, “You’re coloring comics? That’s weird. Why aren’t you drawing anymore?” I was like, “Well, you know. Whatever.” They were like, “Well, if you’re coloring, why don’t you color my stuff?” I was like, “Sure. I’ll color your stuff.” It kind of took off from there.

I got hired on Journey, and I just went for it. Kathryn was really open. She didn’t say things like, “I need orange light” or anything. I just got Valerio [Schiti]’s inks, and I was like, “I’m just going to do my best John Carter/space impression of this.” I went kind of mental, but I have to say the response was really cool. I didn’t expect people to like the blue-blooded guy, too. When I colored it, I honestly was in such a rush that issue. I was not rested, and that blue blood felt like a great idea at the time with those orange backgrounds. And then after I was done, I was like, “People are going to fucking hate this.” People are going to be like, “Why is this character blue-blooded?” I just felt really stupid. After that, I sort of made it a rule to not have characters have normal-colored blood. I love pink blood, purple blood—I think it’s fun. I just think it looks... it’s something unexpected for the reader. I played a lot with that in Manhattan Projects back in the day, too, using weird blood colors. I just think it’s fun.

I love those reds and those yellows. Again, I think if another colorist does that kind of stuff, you think about it in relation to comics or even a filmmaker, they can use a darker red wall, or like an oxblood red wall. But there are some people who just say “Red wall? Cool, you got this.” And they just go, “Here. Active red.” I just like those bright colors. I think they get a more instantaneous reaction if used well and used sparingly. So, in Manhattan Projects, it was a narrative device suggested by John very specifically for his own meanings of things that I still never got to know the whole story on, because John kind of was a wizard. He was writing on the page and thinking on the page, so we just kind of went by with his driving force.

He was the conductor to this song that, on other things, like Journey Into Mystery, I felt very much a part of the project. On the other books, if I ever used those bright, saturated colors, it’s normally because I’m making my own personal narrative decision and trying to carry that kind of signal throughout the book. Like Moon Knight #3 just came out, and somebody was asking me in the first two issues of Moon Knight, “There’s a lot of red in there, is it for any particular reason? Like, I notice that it kind of comes up again.” I’m like, “Yeah, it’s a narrative color.” I like that kind of spot color treatment in film and in comics. I think I’m trying my best to rip off good movies and put it in comics.

All those quotes are from the first half of the interview, there's a lot more at the link.

Top Bottom