• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

Guess who did a cover for that crossover book:
hughescoverdlkuu.jpg

VanWinkle

So I didn't love every single thing King did in Batman Rebirth Deluxe Vol 1 (Batman Rebirth #1 and #1-15), but there was a LOT of great stuff there. And man what a great idea it is to have those little interjecting stories. It works really well, yet flows naturally from one beat to the next. Mikel Janin was just as fantastic as I thought he would be, but David Finch more than prove his worth and impressed me a lot (thanks in large part to Bellaire's colors). There were neat little things sprinkled throughout that would come up again later and I thought it worked well.

Overall, I'm a lot happier with it than I thought I would be. 9/10.

VanWinkle

Too many crossovers, DC, too many crossovers. Makes it hard for collected edition people like myself. And have any of them even been good?

Night of the Monster Men was supposedly one of the worst things ever
Lazarus Contract was supposedly trash
I don't know about Superman Reborn but if it was very good I probably would have heard a little more about it
The Button was alright, but too decompressed

Not a good track record so far.

Messi

Too many crossovers, DC, too many crossovers. Makes it hard for collected edition people like myself. And have any of them even been good?

I don't know about Superman Reborn but if it was very good I probably would have heard a little more about it

I loved Monster Men. Rossmos art was dope as were the other artists.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Venom Inc by Nick Lowe?

Whats up with the weird Venom push lately?

VanWinkle

I loved Monster Men. Rossmos art was dope as were the other artists.

While I'm happy to hear that, you're the first person I have ever heard say they liked it. I will read it for myself to form an opinion on it when Detective Comics Deluxe and Nightwing Deluxe release. Who knows; maybe I'll like it, too.

Monster Men was fun! In a way the most generic event but it was designed that way, just a fun giant monsters on the run in Gotham thing.

No idea about Lazarus.

Apparently Supes Reborn was quite good? Although it depended on if you were following Tomasi's N52 stuff onwards. I felt The Button was alright, nothing great but neat enough for a thing that lasted one month. It ain't that bad : /

Malyse

Monster Men was fun! In a way the most generic event but it was designed that way, just a fun giant monsters on the run in Gotham thing.

No idea about Lazarus.

Apparently Supes Reborn was quite good? Although it depended on if you were following Tomasi's N52 stuff onwards. I felt The Button was alright, nothing great but neat enough for a thing that lasted one month. It ain't that bad : /

I liked Lazarus Contract, but I hated Monsters Unleashed enough that I just avoid any Monster comics.

I liked Lazarus Contract, but I hated Monsters Unleashed enough that I just avoid any Monster comics.

Lol fair enough.

I enjoyed it for what it was, but I wouldn't recommend it. Reading Batman Deluxe there's nothing really lost by not having the other issues from that crossover. I feel like Detective Comics' Villain Syndacite would have made for a more interesting Batfamily crossover.

Gonna read LAzarus Contract when I collect Titans + Deathstroke. Have you read Teen Titans beyond the first arc?

Malyse

Lol fair enough.

I enjoyed it for what it was, but I wouldn't recommend it. Reading Batman Deluxe there's nothing really lost by not having the other issues from that crossover. I feel like Detective Comics' Villain Syndacite would have made for a more interesting Batfamily crossover.

Gonna read LAzarus Contract when I collect Titans + Deathstroke. Have you read Teen Titans beyond the first arc?

I have read all of it. I like it quite a lot, though Damian is still a little shit. I think Teen Titans > Titans. But Deathstroke >>>>>> any Titan book.

Wow, this was quite a obvious hint to Metal in hindsight.
The first time was frightening wasn't it? Look! Look! Here it comes, seeeee? Yesss, Joker is here with you in the dark. We're watching it come for you, as I'm sure it did that first time. Ooohh it wantssss you! Wants you bad! No. There is no reasoning with it… it was the same for me, when I saw it coming… When I saw you coming. No reasoning! And so you called out there in the dark! Even though you knew you were seeing it! Your face, the real bone and tooth face beneath it all. You knew it in your soul but still you called out to someone, anyone, to pull you up from the darkness.

I have read all of it. I like it quite a lot, though Damian is still a little shit. I think Teen Titans > Titans. But Deathstroke >>>>>> any Titan book.

I would not want Damian any other way. Apart from th appearance in Metal #2, that was awesome.

I read the rebirth issue of Titans and enjoyed it. I like Teen Titans' first arc so I will probably pick up Vol 2. And I agree about Deathstroke. In the nicest way, Priest writes the shit out of it to the point where comparing it to the Titans books is kinda unfair. I am so psyched for his JL run.

I want to diversify what I pick up from DC and use things like the Rebirth mysteries and Wally West as hooks, hence my interest in Titans.

I'd agree with this lol. MM isn't the worst. It's biggest crime is just existing to give the main creative time to catch up so it doesn't really do anything significant with the characters involved. There's some great art though, especially Rossmo's end of things and you get a few good madcap moments like the clayface armor haha

I love monster comics though so

Aizo

Banned
On Teen Titans and related books, Deathstroke always confuses me with the timeline. It is so well written, but the way it jumps around so much is very confusing. There have been several threads left unconnected where I am in the story. They just abandoned those plots to tell a random (but good) story in Chicago that was completely unrelated. I hope everything makes sense when I catch up.
Is Metal worth reading so far? It sounds very edgy try hard to me
Because of the Metal theme? It's not edgy at all... weird post.

Messi

I literally got to the final line of the October OT and looked up the release day....delay.

Archie....we were so close this time....so close.

Messi

Woah, Bendis has kept on the weight loss train and looks really slim now. Good for him.

qbuIoey.png

This was him at the powers premier

Brian+Michael+Bendis+Powers+Premiere+AyYIn6KLPEYl.jpg

Yo, a little lttp here but Black Hammer #1 - #6 was awesome! Great art, colouring, lettering and world building. The pacing was good and Lemire didn't use the "origin" of the characters as a crutch to pad the story. Just enough glimpses to show what led them to where they are. Hopefully v2 comes out soon.

Messi

Yo, a little lttp here but Black Hammer #1 - #6 was awesome! Great art, colouring, lettering and world building. The pacing was good and Lemire didn't use the "origin" of the characters as a crutch to pad the story. Just enough glimpses to show what led them to where they are. Hopefully v2 comes out soon.

How do you feel about spinoffs? Because...the first spin off starts next month

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-black-hammer-spinoff-will-explore-the-secret-1796780454

How do you feel about spinoffs? Because...the first spin off starts next month

[ul]http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-black-hammer-spinoff-will-explore-the-secret-1796780454[/url]

YsFaEJz.png

Hopefully Lemire has the main series mapped out with a clear end in mind. But at least it looks like this will run parallelly with the main series unlike a few other series we know. (looking at you Bitch Planet).

I bought both volumes of X-Men Blue and Gold and I think Gold might be the better book. It's ok so far.

I guess I gotta eat crow after trash talking Guggenheim.

VeeP

Monster Men was great

Lazarus Contract was decent but people (including me) disliked it because they regressed Damian Wayne into a little piece of shit

Superman Reborn was good

Button I agree with you.

So far Metal is great, and the Teen Titans tie-in was great.

Top Bottom