• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

Messi

You're trash

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Don't really mind that Del Toro stole some concept, because Niel Marshall and Mike Mignola are stealing Hellboy from Del Toro, the creator of the character

Jesus Christ you people will turn on anyone.

I mean...

Yeah.

When people do shitty things they get "turned on." That's how it works. Shouldn't really matter who does the shitty thing, it's still shitty.

Hardly turned on him lol

Shitty what he did, or is stealing alright now?

Edit: time to drop nightwing and pick up green lanterns and justice league

Oh man, you haven't been reading GLs? It actually got pretty good after the first arc.

Sandfox

So event fallout continues to affect Ms. Marvel and probably causing its sales to drop like last time.

How I wish it, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl and the other lighter books got their own Earth to do what they want on.

There's no "event fallout" in the Legacy arc of Ms. Marve, or at least nothing based on that article.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I mean...

Yeah.

When people do shitty things they get "turned on." That's how it works. Shouldn't really matter who does the shitty thing, it's still shitty.

Oh man, you haven't been reading GLs? It actually got pretty good after the first arc.
Fuck really? I'll pick up the volumes on comixology

My backlog is insane haha

jackdoe

"The Shape of Water" creature is practically a carbon copy of the Creature from the Black Lagoon, so if anything, Del Toro is stealing from that movie rather than from Hellboy.

You wouldn't steal a...car

Of course not. Too much work.

But I'm saying he grabbed a character.....wait a minute. Are you guys talking about THAT movie? The one with doppel-Abe that is not actually Abe? He borrowed a design and not a character. You act as if comic companies don't do this shit literally all the time. I bet someone at DC did it fucking this morning. This is purely in Mignola's court. If he wants to push the issue legally, fine (he would lose, or Universal would have sued ages ago for Mignola ripping off the creature from the Black Lagoon.) But don't get upset over it as if you're the one being wronged and not Mignola. I think the movie looks cool. Though I would have titled it "When Abe Met Liz."

tl;dr: Ya'll a complainey bunch of complainers. :3

"The Shape of Water" creature is practically a carbon copy of the Creature from the Black Lagoon, so if anything, Del Toro is stealing from that movie rather than from Hellboy.

He's very specifically cribbing from his own Abe. The rotten eggs and classical music are both ticks he picked out for Abe in the HB movies (not characteristics of Abe in the comics) so it's kind of hard to deny the similarity. No point in going deeper since these conversations are just circular at this point but yea, denying it is silly. It's there to a degree, and it isn't just a pure visual thing either, in relation to Freeza's post about just stealing designs.

He's very specifically cribbage from his own Abe. The rotten eggs and classical music are both ticks he picked out for Abe in the HB movies (not characteristics of Abe in the comics) so it's kind of hard to deny the similarity. No point in going deeper since these conversations are just circular at this point but yea, denying it is silly. It's there to a degree.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely thought it was an Abe Sapien movie when I saw the trailer, but so what?

Wanderer5

Of course not. Too much work.

But I'm saying he grabbed a character.....wait a minute. Are you guys talking about THAT movie? The one with doppel-Abe that is not actually Abe? He borrowed a design and not a character. You act as if comic companies don't do this shit literally all the time. I bet someone at DC did it fucking this morning. This is purely in Mignola's court. If he wants to push the issue legally, fine (he would lose, or Universal would have sued ages ago for Mignola ripping off the creature from the Black Lagoon.) But don't get upset over it as if you're the one being wronged and not Mignola. I think the movie looks cool. Though I would have titled it "When Abe Met Liz."

tl;dr: Ya'll a complainey bunch of complainers. :3

Well they already have Lagoon Boy.:p

Don't get me wrong, I definitely thought it was an Abe Sapien movie when I saw the trailer, but so what?

In all honesty I don't care either, I think it's something to poke fun at rather than get too upset about (although the vice versa clamouring from GDT fans that Hellboy has been stolen IS insufferable lol), but I do also think it's silly to pretend it's not obviously there.,and slightly beyond just looking similar. Obviously Abe has inspiration from the classic fishman too so it's a wash in the end. Looking forward to The Shape Of Water.

tim1138

I would like to point out how fucking rad it is that in those preview pages for the Priest/Woods JL run, they purposefully show Simon on some Tatooine looking moon doing his best to face Mecca and pray before helping that kid. That is awesome and I hope there's more of it.

Since I seem to have accidently posted this evening haha I'll just say I am so excited that Rumble really actually genuinely is coming back. Shame to see Harren go; I'm starting to suspect he hasn't made the jump to the big league because he struggles to do more than an arc a year. Even the 10 issues a year Image style seems to have been a problem (it could have been for any other reason he left though, just a guess). Rubin is a great replacement though, it's going to be really fun.

I would love Harren back on BPRD with Campbell obviously lol

MvC:I collector's edition with the stones.

I keep flip-flopping on whether I want that game. I think I could use a new Marvel fighter, but then I watch some videos and get reminded of how awful it looks visually, then I'm reminded of Capcom's usual costume DLC antics and am completely turned off.

Top Bottom