• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz 2 breaks PPV record, biggest fight in MMA history

Status
Not open for further replies.
image87.jpg

Well I think its safe to say McGregor is a draw. That is now 3 PPV's in a row he has headlined that have broken 1 million buys. Got to give props to Nate as well he helped market this thing like crazy. The trilogy when it eventually happens will be enormous

Current estimates indicate that UFC 202, the Aug. 20 show headlined by Conor McGregor's decision win over Nate Diaz, will be the most successful non-boxing pay-per-view event in the history of the genre.

Current estimates have the show doing 1.65 million buys on pay-per-view, putting it slightly ahead of UFC 196, the first McGregor vs. Diaz fight, which was estimated at 1.6 million. Both would be ahead of the prior record set at UFC 100 for the second Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir fight.

Sources close to the situation reveal that the DirecTV numbers were the highest in the promotion's history. UFC's own pay-per-view orders through the Internet were believed to have also broken the record set at UFC 196.

The 1.65 million projected number would not include orders directly through the UFC for streaming rather than traditional television.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/7...-looks-to-have-broken-ufc-pay-per-view-record

klonere

Banned
Grats to Conor, even if he is a bit of a cunt.

Hope he gets his huge WWE payday whenever he wants to do that as well.

Tom_Cody

Wow that's good for them.

How does this compare to some of boxing's best numbers?

Mayweather Pac was like 4.6, then it drops to 2 million.
Boxing and MMA are both star driven, meaning you will always see spikes for the biggest matchups in each sport.

I think the bigger story is how much the average numbers for UFC PPVs have grown. The UFC has been built into a formidable brand. There is no equivalent in boxing.

Well deserved money, what a fight. MMA is the new boxing.

LOL No it's not. MMA is the new MMA. Boxing is Boxing. The only difference is Boxing has already reached it's peak of popularity and is no longer a massive mainstream sport. MMA is relatively new and is still growing so there's no telling where and when it peaks at.

Boxing and MMA are both star driven, meaning you will always see spikes for the biggest matchups in each sport.

I think the bigger story is how much the average numbers for UFC PPVs have grown. The UFC has been built into a formidable brand. There is no equivalent in boxing.

This is spot on.

BobLoblaw

Banned
They couldn't have asked for a better rematch. It was insanely good even though I didn't agree with the outcome. Part 3 is gonna be great.

darscot

Nate is the luckiest fighter in the UFC. He was completely mediocrity and both him and his brother were going nowhere. Connor changed his entire life. I liked the Dias brothers as fighters but they are both dumb as sticks and would never have gotten a real pay day.

Norml

Nate is the luckiest fighter in the UFC. He was completely mediocrity and both him and his brother were going nowhere. Connor changed his entire life. I liked the Dias brothers as fighters but they are both dumb as sticks and would never have gotten a real pay day.
Wasn't Nick getting paid the most besides GSP and Silva before Coner shows up and got busted for weed?

nilbog21

Banned
LOL No it's not. MMA is the new MMA. Boxing is Boxing. The only difference is Boxing has already reached it's peak of popularity and is no longer a massive mainstream sport. MMA is relatively new and is still growing so there's no telling where and when it peaks at.

This is spot on.

Wrong. Boxing has lost its prestige.

KingBroly

Banned
3rd fight's going to break over 2.5 million considering how good that fight was. People definitely want to see it again.

VoxPop

How is the CM Punk fight tracking?

I don't think it'll do more than 700K. Punk was never a draw even in WWE and doesn't really have that look that Brock had. Hopefully he does well though.

Well deserved for Conor and Nate though. Glad they finally topped that 100 number even if it wasn't by much.

smurfx

get some go again
lol never thought nate diaz would be one of the main headliners in the biggest ufc ppv ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom