• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could this be the first real PS4 info? (pc.watch.impress.co.jp)

Delio

I dont see the big deal over it only being a slight upgrade. The games will still look great anyways right? Plus sticking with older hardware they came max it out pretty well. I suppose for the people that get off to graphics it would be horrid but then if you did that wouldnt you game only on your PC?

pirahna1

soco said:
if all the major players go wii-style, with consoles only slightly more powerful than what exists today, will this be the beginning of a PC resurgence? hardcore gamers move back to the PC ;)

I'd rather spend $250 on a new vid card every 2.5 years than $1,000 on new consoles every 6 years. I'm thinking of becoming a die-hard PC/handheld gamer... Damn piracy killing my buzz. Where's my GoW2 PC, Epic???

herod

re-using cell has been on the cards since they closed their fab and sold the designs to toshiba hasn't it?

re-iterating my previous point, no mention of the GPU (which is clearly the PS3 bottleneck) means this speculation is baseless.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
except that deadmeat presents all of that as rumors originating from developers, when most if it is actually pc watch's speculation

i mean, they may be right for all i know, but the original post seems to be inaccurate

edit: wait, isn't gamecyte the place that was just outed as a viral marketing operation for some pr firm? this thread is just bursting with reliable sources :(

somebody do a proper translation pls

smurfx

get some go again
sony needs to dump ibm and go with intel. they seem to want to get into the console business and sony would have a way easier time getting ports of games if they have a platform that would be practically the same as pc. since sony doesn't believe in BC anymore then i don't see a problem with going with intel. most pc game makers are starting to rely on console games the most and a intel sony box would make it the primary box for pc ports.

Darkman M

Delio said:
I dont see the big deal over it only being a slight upgrade. The games will still look great anyways right? Plus sticking with older hardware they came max it out pretty well. I suppose for the people that get off to graphics it would be horrid but then if you did that wouldnt you game only on your PC?

Why a slight upgrade though? Makes no sense really when the PS3 hasn't even been fully utilized yet.

Narag

Wow at some of the reactions.

Private Hoffman said:
I honestly see no reason why Sony would launch the PS4 early, especially if it's only marginally more powerful than the PS3.

Being first to market has its benefits.

Angelus said:
I'll be buying a fully realized gaming PC if these companies dare pull this shit.

Its your loss as a gamer if you don't have a capable machine as is. I don't follow why you'd threaten to buy a good PC if they don't offer a stripped down PC for you though.

camineet

Banned
smurfx said:
sony need to dump ibm and go with intel. they seem to want to get into the console business and sony would have a way easier time getting ports of games if they have a platform that would be practically the same. since sony doesn't believe in BC anymore then i don't see a problem with going with intel.

Intel Sandy Bridge + Intel Larrabee FTW :D

Unless Microsoft goes with that tech first.

GreekWolf

pswii60 said:
There won't be the resolution difference we've seen this gen which makes the Wii look so bad in comparison to 360/PS3 - especially on LCD TVs.
I wouldn't be so quick to assume that. Four or five years from now, 1440p and 2160p televisions should be hitting the mainstream for the first time and, with it, the demand for consumer products which take advantage of the new standard. If one of the next-gen consoles is equipped to display in these considerably higher resolutions, while the others do not, then history may very well repeat itself.

On a more somber note, it will be interesting to see if Microsoft continues down this new-found path of catering to Wii-casuals, with the avatars and party games, or if this is just the proverbial "sticking their toe in the water" in an effort to cover all bases.

Barso

Banned
If sony go down this route then the xbox360 sequel will be the console for me.
I actually feel there is some credibility to this story. The PS3 is slowly killing sony and I am sure they would love nothing more than to move on. But a wii sized slightly more powerful PS3 will not be under my TV, thats for sure.
I have always trusted sony to push the boundries and without krazy ken I really do think sony will go the wii route.
They will want hardware profibility from launch and so will their shareholders.
I want my HD console to really push the boundries.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
DeathNote said:
do you know what a life span is?
ps2 is on it's 8th year and still going.
it doesn't mean the successor won't come out.

ps2 is/was a success...ps3 ? not so much till now...

kenta

Has no PEINS
As long as the PS4 gets the same kind of games I enjoyed with my PS1 and PS2 and am continuing to enjoy on my PS3, it can have whatever specs it wants. I do want a more full-featured OS right from launch, though, with a bunch of features I didn't even know I wanted

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
drohne said:
so...the actual information is just that sony is exploring the possibility of

a. reusing the cell architecture in some form

and

b. using JEDEC memory, whatever that is exactly

and everything about the low performance target is speculation. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOUR SOURCE IS DEADMEAT

Deadmeat? Seriously?

OP, youse a bad boy.

Narag said:
Wow at some of the reactions.

Being first to market has its benefits.

Being first to the market may have some benefits, but it's largely irrelevant; didn't work for the Dreamcast or Saturn.

And now, for this gen, it's helped Microsoft's position in the sense that its received more third party support, but ultimately the first one out of the gate hasn't been the winner; that's been Nintendo, which launched a year later.

Barso said:
If sony go down this route then the xbox360 sequel will be the console for me.
I actually feel there is some credibility to this story. The PS3 is slowly killing sony and I am sure they would love nothing more than to move on. But a wii sized slightly more powerful PS3 will not be under my TV, thats for sure.
I have always trusted sony to push the boundries and without krazy ken I really do think sony will go the wii route.
They will want hardware profibility from launch and so will their shareholders.

How is the PS3 slowly killing Sony when their market position (at least in the west) has been getting better?

How would simply "starting over" make any bit of sense when the PS3 still remains at a price point of $400?

And yet all we hear from the company is that they are planning a 10 year cycle around the PS3. With the amount of money they've spent invested into the PS3, and with the gains its already made, it would be ridiculous to just start over and rush a product out on the market at an even higher price point that is only marginally more powerful. Sony's bread and butter audience expects competitive technology in their gaming devices.

duk

Banned
Fuzz Rez said:
2xPS3 ? It would still be power house.

3 years from now, not so much. But I would think it can be sufficient enough. Sony is smart to go the Wii route. Cheaper it is the better.

camineet

Banned
GreekWolf said:
I wouldn't be so quick to assume that. Four or five years from now, 1440p and 2160p televisions should be hitting the mainstream for the first time and, with it, the demand for consumer products which take advantage of the new standard. If one of the next-gen consoles is equipped to display in these considerably higher resolutions, while the others do not, then history may very well repeat itself.

Next-gen won't go beyond 1080p, no way, no how. What we need for 1080p is better framerates, greater complexity/detail, more AA and overall higher image quality from post processing. Not higher screen resolutions.

Raistlin

camineet said:
http://www.gamecyte.com/ps4-based-on-existing-cell-processor

In a long technical analysis following the report, PC Watch voices the opinion that the PS4’s performance would not increase significantly from that of the PS3 if this is true. While Moore’s Law and the historical rate at which Sony has shrunk processors size would suggest that the Cell processor could reach as many as 32 cores, PC Watch expects that the cost of redesigning the Cell’s layout — which has apparently remained the same as it has shrunk from 90nm to 65nm, and from 65nm to 45nm — would be prohibitive enough that Sony will stick with around 10 cores for the PS4.

I'm pretty sure IBM has already made CELL's with a lot of cores (because it was designed to scale) ... I don't see what supposed redesign would be needed.

Darkman M

GreekWolf said:

On a more somber note, it will be interesting to see if Microsoft continues down this new-found path of catering to Wii-casuals, with the avatars and party games, or if this is just the proverbial "sticking their toe in the water" to cover all bases.

I seriously doubt we see those resolutions for a long long time 1080p isn't even standard with games or cable yet, and most people who bought 1080p tv's this gen arent gonna jump and buy a 1440p tv in the next 4 years.

Vagabundo

Sounds good. Now if they can put an IR pointer into their, currently crap, controller I'll consider buying an PS console for the first time ever...

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Yeah i dont see why they would abandon the Cell, seems to be doing what its meant to do and looks like PC CPU's are going down that route as well so yurrr.

Yazuka

Well if its true, its a bit sad that they would take this road. Not very surprising.
I just hope they continue with the regionfree games.

Wollan

Barso said:
If the console has games running natively at 1080p (well, as often games run 720p today) with memory enough to have textures that take full use of that screen fidelity. What can extra power do exactly? The competition would have to raise their game budgets to $200m if they were to put it on another level assuming they have significantly better spec consoles. Budgets and time are starting to hit the wall with 360/PS3. They can not raise the development cost unless the number of games sold comes closer to movie sales.

To capture the hardcore they cant be a year late again and MS are probably well aware as well. I'll bet both consoles come out in 2011.

DeathNote said:
do you know what a life span is?
ps2 is on it's 8th year and still going.
it doesn't mean the successor won't come out.

Yeah and Sony has stop making games for the system. Theres nothing coming out for the PS2 anymore.

Cesar

Banned
I would be dissapointed if this was the case. I want Sony to push the graphical edge. I think that devs like Naughty Dog would be dissapointed to as they always manage to make the best looking games in the industry.

herod

Can the human eye even tell the difference in resolutions above 1080p at reasonable size/distances? Anything over 1080p is wishful thinking by screen manufacturers.

at most it will just be for easier upscaling, and not relevant to gaming.

GreekWolf

Darkman M said:
I seriously doubt we see those resolutions for a long long time 1080p isn't even standard with games or cable yet, and most people who bought 1080p tv's this gen arent gonna jump and buy a 1440p tv in the next 4 years.
We're talking roughly half a decade here. That's the difference between Genesis and Playstation tech.

Besides, 1080p won't be phased out of market for a very long time, regardless of what else is introduced in the meantime.

Wollan

herod said:
Can the human eye even tell the difference in resolutions above 1080p at reasonable size/distances? Anything over 1080p is wishful thinking by screen manufacturers.
at most it will just be for easier upscaling, and not relevant to gaming.
I believe a screen has to be 40" or more for people to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p (from normal viewing distance).

camineet

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
To capture the hardcore they cant be a year late again and MS are probably well aware as well. I'll bet both consoles come out in 2011.

I agree, probably 2011, and absolutely no later than 2012 for any of the next-gen consoles.

People need to forget the idea of "10 year lifecycle" before any successor, which Sony never said.

sankao

camineet said:
Next-gen won't go beyond 1080p, no way, no how. What we need for 1080p is better framerates, greater complexity/detail, more AA and overall higher image quality from post processing. Not higher screen resolutions.

AA is not needed anymore with very high screen resolution (for equal screen surface).

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Darkman M said:

Is 1440p even going to be standard ? QUAD HD (2160p) will be next standard and it hit mass markets in 2015.

camineet

Banned
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multim...ature_Improved_Version_of_Cell_Processor.html

Sony PlayStation 4 Likely to Feature Improved Version of Cell Processor.

Sony Expected to Look at Lower Cost Hardware for PlayStation 4
[09/29/2008 10:03 AM]
by Anton Shilov

Sony PlayStation 3 features a significant amount of rather exotic technology, but while this enables the video game system to offer exclusive capabilities, this also means that the system is rather expensive to manufacture. According to a Japanese web-site, for the next-generation PlayStation 4 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. plans to use more affordable components.

In order to maintain backwards compatibility and not to substantially shift the way of programming for the PlayStation 4, Sony intends to utilize substantially improved version of the Cell central processing unit (CPU), reports PC Watch web-site. The chip can potentially have as many as 24 or even 32 synergetic processing units, though, at this point actual specifications are hardly set by SCEI itself.

While Sony PlayStation 4 is years away, its developer already has a goal of making it more affordable than the predecessor in order to compete against the successor of Nintendo Wii, the most popular current-generation video game system, the web-site claims.

Considering the fact that PlayStation 3 already features technologies like Blu-ray optical drive, Cell processor, XDR memory and some other, it is very likely to expect the PS4 to sport them as well, but this time at a considerably lower price. This will also allow the next-generation video game console to take advantage of the PlayStation 3 infrastructure and heritage.

It is unknown when the PlayStation 4 hits the market, but introducing it ahead of its rival from Microsoft Corp. will give Sony an advantage. In fact, utilization of already known components, such as improved version of Cell, will help Sony to bring the next-generation game console faster to market.

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. did not comment on the news-story.

Brashnir

Much like how MS and Sony targeting the exact same demographic opened the door to the Wii's dominance, I think if everyone rushes to copy the Wii, it will open the door for someone to take over the market by targeting the traditional console gamer.

It would be especially funny if MS and Sony rush to copy the Wii, and Nintendo bitchslaps them again by going the other way.

Wollan

PS4 to come as a separate console as well as built into certain OLED 40" tv models, release: 10/10/10.

Brashnir said:
It would be especially funny if MS and Sony rush to copy the Wii, and Nintendo bitchslaps them again by going the other way.
Sony and MS (well Sony at least) are actively developing those 'hardcore' games.
You won't see anything one-sided from those two (SCE has been putting out games in the whole spectrum for years now).

Lince

Banned
day one if it's 100% backwards compatible with PS3 games (and uses the extra power to reduce loading/improve framerate/upscale everything to 1080p), just by adding 512 MB more of memory and swapping the RSX with a CELL-optimized 9800GTX+ the performance leap would be huge.

Darkman M

Brashnir said:
Much like how MS and Sony targeting the exact same demographic opened the door to the Wii's dominance, I think if everyone rushes to copy the Wii, it will open the door for someone to take over the market by targeting the traditional console gamer.

correct answer.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
TheHeretic said:
Yeah and Sony has stop making games for the system. Theres nothing coming out for the PS2 anymore.
I love how you guys are throwing in all these irrelevant variables.

Life span is simple. It means how long it will be sold despite the successor. People now who never been gaming can buy a cheap ps2 and enjoy games(I know multiple people who have). And in 5-7 years poor people can get a cheap ps3 based on Sony's 10 year life cycle and play the games on their first and new HDTV if they so choose. ...Unlike Microsoft who drops and stops making their consoles... And even if it's sitting on the shelf's(no way to predict that), it doesn't matter, it can live up to the 10 year life cycle claim easily. The only benefit is for Sony anyway by making money rather than the used consoles only being circulated. Nothing to get bothered about.

Fuzz Rez said:
Is 1440p even going to be standard ? QUAD HD (2160p) will be next standard and it hit mass markets in 2015.

Highly debatable. Average joe isn't going to want to own anything bigger than 60", and the difference between 1080p and 1440p isn't noticeable until you're closer than 8 feet.

Higher than 1080p would also use excessive amounts of bandwidth when the current cable infrastructure has trouble handling too many HD channels even though most are still 720p.

The next possibilities are 3D HDTV(not likely) and higher framerate video for higher detail.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If you reuse the same architecture, doesn't that mean you won't be able to make any significant PS2 > PS3 type jumps again?

camineet

Banned
VERY few games are native 1080p this generation. I can almost promise you that next-gen XB3, PS4, WiiHD etc won't go beyond 1080p.

1080p will be "more standard" next-gen, with more if not most games being rendered at 1080p natively.

It makes zero sense for games to go beyond 1080p for at least another 15-20 years, not until UHDV / Ultra High Definition Video / Super Hi Vision (7,680 × 4,320p) is consumer technology. That's probably decades (and several console generations) away.

Tenbatsu

Brashnir said:

Listen to this man.

_Angelus_

Banned
Nintendo would still find a way to gimp the potential of having the most powerful hardware though. Like using fucking 8 track cassettes as their choice for media storage.

camineet

Banned
Oblivion said:
If you reuse the same architecture, doesn't that mean you won't be able to make any significant PS2 > PS3 type jumps again?

PS1 to PS2 was a bigger leap than PS2 to PS3 in terms of overall visuals/graphics.

That's not even an opinion really, more like fact based on specs, but did also translate to realworld ingame improvements. PS2 to PS3 is pretty big, but just not like PS1 to PS2 which was overwhelmingly huge. PS2 was like 2 orders of magnitude stronger than PS1 (100x) whereas PS3 is barely 1 order of magnitude stronger than PS2 in graphics. Now if you talk about floating point power of CELL over Emotion Engine, PS3 is maybe like 1.5 orders of magnitude but that doesnt translate into a difference you can always see. The PS3 graphics processor is really holding it back because RSX is like a midrange GPU from 2005, its not even highend by 2005 standards, much less when PS3 launched in 2006.

PS2 graphics in 2000 were far beyond the highest-end PCs equipped with GeForce2 or Radeon cards.

Oblivion said:

Well they will simply be re-using a highly advanced CPU architecture. They will likely have upped the memory, and heavily upgraded the video card. It would be a decent jump going from 2 generation old PC tech to what will then be 3-4 generations from the current point. a rather substantial jump.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
SIP YEK NOD said:
Highly debatable. Average joe isn't going to want to own anything bigger than 60", and the difference between 1080p and 1440p isn't noticeable until you're closer than 8 feet.

Higher than 1080p would also use excessive amounts of bandwidth when the current cable infrastructure has trouble handling too many HD channels even though most are still 720p.

The next possibilities are 3D HDTV(not likely) and higher framerate video for higher detail.
Endurance of TV's and cheap upgrades will play a role for average joes. My tube tv lasted 15 years before we got a decently priced 720p 1080i HDTV.

I'm thinking a lot of people will be stuck at 1080i, 720p, and 1080p and not upgrade for a while. I think 1440p will take longer to be as common as 1080p nowadays.

Top Bottom