• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 - XBOX 360 Demo [Out Now]

Yeah, I finally got to play. The visuals are way too rough right now. The LOD is brutal on models and shaders. The game feels incredibly glitchy and the gameplay feel is really simplistic. COD has better everything, let alone Halo and a myriad of other FPS games like Battlefield BC2.

I'm really dissapointed. Right now EA should delay this game to August and have Crytek do a 4 month cleanup, editing, and tuning pass to it then use the rest of the time to bug fix. There is no reason right now why this game needs to come out soon.

LQX

Warm Machine said:
Yeah, I finally got to play. The visuals are way too rough right now. The LOD is brutal on models and shaders. The game feels incredibly glitchy and the gameplay feel is really simplistic. COD has better everything, let alone Halo and a myriad of other FPS games like Battlefield BC2.

I'm really dissapointed. Right now EA should delay this game to August and have Crytek do a 4 month cleanup, editing, and tuning pass to it then use the rest of the time to bug fix. There is no reason right now why this game needs to come out soon.
Are you sure you are playing the game that's in the threads title? I don't think you are and if you are then something is wrong with your 360 and TV.

LQX said:
Are you sure you are playing the game that's in the threads title? I don't think you are and if you are then something is wrong with your 360 and TV.

The cascaded shadows are drawing really poorly and close up on the buildings across the gaps. The props in the environment fade into existance 10 feet from your view. The texture LODs are popping all over the place. The control and game play feel like an improved Quake 4. Maybe I was just in a bad game but it didn't click for me at all.

On the plus side the framerate was rock solid.

Stripper13 said:
Wut.

I mean, I really have no idea either way - but there is no indication that the PS3 version will be superior - especially given the complete lack of attention the PS3 version is being given hype/demo wise.

I'm calling it here, IF the PS3 version is 720p it will have some serious technical/performance flaws.

I am pretty sure that EA has some kind of exclusive deal with MS on Crysis 2. I remember them doing that with Mirrors Edge (and DS1?). Only the PS3 version was shown to the public.

Warm Machine said:

I think the game has a lot of potential, but yes, it could use a few months of polish based on this demo. A lot of elements feel half baked (And you haven't even mentioned the awful netcode).

sinnergy

Warm Machine said:
The cascaded shadows are drawing really poorly and close up on the buildings across the gaps. The props in the environment fade into existance 10 feet from your view. The texture LODs are popping all over the place. The control and game play feel like an improved Quake 4. Maybe I was just in a bad game but it didn't click for me at all.

On the plus side the framerate was rock solid.

Correct, but I think they are not major. I haven't had any major pop-in @ 10 feet. I do see the shadows but they are pretty far. There is some pop-in when respawning, but more games have this issue.

I think the game plays brilliant. I am as addicted as I was with Modern Warfare.

The visuals are pretty amazing on consoles imo.

Kevtones

The stat overload is kind of lovely.

Shooting/assuring the kill makes me fee noobish but the game feels different in a good way.

Might pre-order.

sinnergy said:
There is some pop-in when respawning, but more games have this issue.

Even in the interior sections there is aggressive pop in/lod changes. For a game that aspires to be a technological showcase this is not good.

sinnergy

schennmu said:
Even in the interior sections there is aggressive pop in/lod changes. For a game that aspires to be a technological showcase this is not good.
Haven't had any major issues while playing. I can depend on your X360, my older ones had all kinds of weird issues with games. I now have a new slim.

As far as I can see it's the same as Killzone 2, which also has this...

sinnergy said:
Haven't had any major issues while playing. I can depend on your X360, my older ones had all kinds of weird issues with games. I now have a new slim.

My 360 is a Jasper Elite and I never had any problems with it. Also I've seen many complaints in this thread, you're probably just not very sensitive towards the issue.

Don't remember anything like that in KZ2 to be honest.

Afrikan

OuterWorldVoice said:
Global Illumination.

is that the same meaning as using a "Global Lighting model" for a game? or is that the next advanced method?

I ask this because a poster on Beyond3D thought MLB The Show was the first console game to be using GI.

here is what a Sony Programmer who worked on MLB The Show 09 blogged awhile back talking about their game.

and it goes into detail as well as shows various screens.
Lighting was a major focus for us this year, and we implemented a Global Lighting model. What does that mean? It means that objects are lit by their surroundings. It means that when players are in shadow, they can still get light from the sunlight hitting the dirt just beyond the shadow’s edge, or a bright wall behind them. It means that in stadiums, red floors cast red light on neighboring objects. It is another step towards that realism we all want in our baseball game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Temporal AA is GARBAGE and is not a positive. It blurs the image. It makes things look like shit.

The jaggies are no problem for me but then I am running over vga in 1080 mode, I know the game is not 1080 on consoles but it's helping somehow, no overscan on the image is making it look higher res then most tv's with component cables.

For the 360 and this gen's consoles the game is quite amazing, only big flaw is things like shadows and misc level items seem to pop or fade within about 10 meters of the player, would explain why this demo is on a tight small map instead of some open street.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Kibbles said:
What is 'real time GI'?

Nobody else got "Pier 17" yet? Are they going to unlock this thing or what. Sucks there are videos out there of people getting it, but I have yet to get it... looks like a far better map to play on =(

"I'm not sure where the information regarding Pier 17 is coming from but i was actually of the understanding that it's not included in the demo.

But as there seems to be a lot of confusion around this subject i'll endeavour to get a concrete answer on this today." Cry-adam said

apparently someone opened the demo folder and got:
c2demoffooz.jpg

Someone on my friends list said that he was able to play it once, as he joined a lobby there was a vote screen, going by what he said.

I've never seen it.

Rebel Leader

Diablohead said:
Someone on my friends list said that he was able to play it once, as he joined a lobby there was a vote screen, going by what he said.

I've never seen it.

There is indeed a vote screen.

When it pops up is anyone's guess.

I have yet to play the other multiplayer level. The only one that pops up is Skyline. I think the visuals are pretty decent for a console game. I mean, remember they probably are ironing out things out still, but the game in motion looks pretty fucking fantastic. My only gripe is you die to quick. I've unloaded into others and they fire off one or two shots and I'm down. Headshots? Probably. Overall, it's on my must buy list. I haven't played Crysis on PC even though I have one to run it, but now I think I'm going to have to check it out.

I dont know how or why it pops up but Pier 17 is definitely playable. Looks much better than Skyline too and probably would have been a better map to demo the game with. I dont have a 360 myself, but a buddy that does spent about 4 hours straight trying to get that map to come up and it didnt happen.

Anyway I didn't see anyone post a video of it yet so here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuTKio8-jnQ

I <3 Memes said:
I dont know how or why it pops up but Pier 17 is definitely playable. Looks much better than Skyline too and probably would have been a better map to demo the game with. I dont have a 360 myself, but a buddy that does spent about 4 hours straight trying to get that map to come up and it didnt happen.

Anyway I didn't see anyone post a video of it yet so here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuTKio8-jnQ
That map looks 10 times more fun then the rooftop we have right now, more space, better visuals imo, not a shotgun paradise with open spaces like that.

homegrowndub said:
I have yet to play the other multiplayer level. The only one that pops up is Skyline. I think the visuals are pretty decent for a console game. I mean, remember they probably are ironing out things out still, but the game in motion looks pretty fucking fantastic. My only gripe is you die to quick. I've unloaded into others and they fire off one or two shots and I'm down. Headshots? Probably.Overall, it's on my must buy list. I haven't played Crysis on PC even though I have one to run it, but now I think I'm going to have to check it out.

Lag :(

manzo

MazingerDUDE said:
Yep, it's running sub HD, but not without a reason.

I believe it is mostly due to the 10MB EDRAM limit, as 3 RTs of Crysis 2's deferred renderer would require 3 tiles to fit in with 22MB G-buffer size. (too much loss in performance) 1152 x 720 res will yield 19.9 MB G-buffer. (2 tiles) It'll be interesting to see how PS3 version turns out.

BTW, the game looks absolutely amazing. I was extremely impressed how good this game looks in such boring generic environment, all possible with real time GI the first time ever in video game!

I was never a fan of Crytek and their game, but I'm a believer now!!

That 10mb EDRAM limitation is really starting to show. :(

mintylurb

sinnergy said:

Jonsoncao said:
but you were ok with GT5, weird
Haha. KZ2, GT5..I wonder which game is going to be brought up next..

Y2Kev said:
Temporal AA is GARBAGE and is not a positive. It blurs the image. It makes things look like shit.
Well, sheet is too harsh a word but yeah wish there's an option to disable t-aa and play it at a higher res.

Rebel Leader

Diablohead said:
That map looks 10 times more fun then the rooftop we have right now, more space, better visuals imo, not a shotgun paradise with open spaces like that.

Even then the shotguns are crap

qirex99

Banned
I first played and finally got a game after 5 disconnects. I was so pissed that when I played I thought the game was utter crap. Halo reach looks miles better I thought.

The next day, implode in reach and played a BTB on hemorrhage. I was amazed at how low LOD it looked.

So I pop cry2 back in...relTivity is such an amazing thing!

The graphics, lighting and interaction were amazing. Destroying physical objects and climbing up stuff after a Mad dash were simply amazing.

Yeah, simply incredible what crytek has done here...

DieH@rd

Banned
Lostconfused said:
This lag is so great that apparently I can get shot through a wall.

Never played Counter Strike i see... Or you never know that AK47's bullet can shred trough entire tree/walls/etc.

kodt

Banned
1. The graphics are not impressive. It looks low res and horribly aliased. I am playing on a 106" projection screen so I am sure that doesn't help, but COD and Halo games do not have this issue.

2. It does not feel smooth, combination of framerate and lag.

3. I found it difficult to separate people from the environments.

4. Overall felt laggy and was unimpressed with the visuals.

DieH@rd said:
Never played Counter Strike i see... Or you never know that AK47's bullet can shred trough entire tree/walls/etc.
Um ok I guess, honestly I am stumped, I have no idea how to reply to you.

Edit: Um ok I got one, how many feet of brick wall can an ak47 round punch through?

unimpressed.. deleted it right away after playing a round

noticed texture pops, though textures are great.

pc perhaps but no go on the 360

Warm Machine said:

Yes.

I thought it was going to be a May or even July release. I'm fine if they post pone it. Hell, I'd be glad if they did.

I could use a bit more polish in my Crysis experience. Right now, it seems like it's going to fall short.

vocab

DieH@rd said:

He's probably experiencing interpolation, and not true paper de_nuke walls. Basically, his hitbox is getting shot, while his model is behind the wall.

PEER 2 PEER BABY

Mad Max

Major Williams said:
Yes.

I thought it was going to be a May or even July release. I'm fine if they post pone it. Hell, I'd be glad if they did.

I could use a bit more polish in my Crysis experience. Right now, it seems like it's going to fall short.

They just need to improve the P2P netcode, which causes about 75% of the problems this game seems to have.

But I'll be buying the PC version anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
I've put more play time in, and I'm starting to enjoy the game. Pressing Armor at the right time helps you survive. To detect people using cloak use nanovision? I find it difficult to go from nanovision back to normal vision. The controls for it don't seem crisp, but I might be doing it wrong.

There is no bullet penetration? I was firing at a person that was going up some steps and the side wall just absorbed the bullets. Obviously you can shoot thru glass, but other materials I'm not sure about.

It can be difficult to tell friend from foe. Personally I like online games that clearly differentiate between a red and blue team.

I still haven't figured out what your supposed to do with the 3 radar dish things?

The killstreaks in this game are totally broken. Why do you have to pick up the dog tags when they're only visible to you anyways? After playing so much Black Ops everything feels really slow and laggy.

Brimstone said:
I've put more play time in, and I'm starting to enjoy the game. Pressing Armor at the right time helps you survive. To detect people using cloak use nanovision? I find it difficult to go from nanovision back to normal vision. The controls for it don't seem crisp, but I might be doing it wrong.
I'm put a ton of playtime in now. (Been level 10 for some time now) I'm REALLY enjoying the game, despite the sometimes maddening flaws. The sniper rifle with Reflex sight is awesome!

However, nanovision, I never use it. I have to stop moving in order to press the d-pad. No way, and it's easier to just understand how to look out for invis foes.

There is no bullet penetration? I was firing at a person that was going up some steps and the side wall just absorbed the bullets. Obviously you can shoot thru glass, but other materials I'm not sure about.
Yep. Lameness.
It can be difficult to tell friend from foe. Personally I like online games that clearly differentiate between a red and blue team.
Yeah, I agree. The names don't necessarily pop-up as red right away on enemies, and I've wasted precious time scoping in on friendlies because information didn't come to me fast enough.
I still haven't figured out what your supposed to do with the 3 radar dish things?
Don't know what you mean by this...? The 3 kill streak reward? You hold down Y.

Rebel Leader

Cry-tom from mycrysis forums
Some players may have noticed a map other than Skyline enter into their map rotation. This is not in error, but due to us testing playlists and backup systems. However, this other map will not be widely available in this demo period, and therefore you will not be able to unlock it yet. During this demo and the period up until launch we will be adjusting and balancing the game and fixing bugs, and we will announce in the coming days what happens after the end of this 360 exclusive demo on Feb 4th

Top Bottom