• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 - XBOX 360 Demo [Out Now]

MiDNiGHTS said:
The killstreaks in this game are totally broken. Why do you have to pick up the dog tags when they're only visible to you anyways? After playing so much Black Ops everything feels really slow and laggy.
To stop campers, if you get a kill you need to retrieve the tag thus making you move, I prefer this to someone cloaking in the corner with a sniper (not that this demo map is actually any good for snipers, it's not)

I think the tag system works well.

I did notice quite a bit of camping. One guy would dominate every round by sitting at the top of the building in Skyline. No matter how many times I tried to unseat him, he just kept retreating back. Sucks bad. I wish someone would implement a feature that if you sit in a position for more then say 30 seconds, you suicide. Plain and simple.

Klocker

Diablohead said:
To stop campers, if you get a kill you need to retrieve the tag thus making you move, I prefer this to someone cloaking in the corner with a sniper (not that this demo map is actually any good for snipers, it's not)

agreed

NIN90

MiDNiGHTS said:
The killstreaks in this game are totally broken. Why do you have to pick up the dog tags when they're only visible to you anyways? After playing so much Black Ops everything feels really slow and laggy.

So people keep moving and don't camp in corners like little bitches.
Killstreaks in CoD are mainly so annyoing because they encourage camping.

angelfly

Diablohead said:

I still find people camping with cloak and sniper. Not collecting the tag doesn't prevent the kill from counting so I doubt they care as long as they're racking up large amounts of kills.

angelfly said:
I still find people camping with cloak and sniper. Not collecting the tag doesn't prevent the kill from counting so I doubt they care as long as they're racking up large amounts of kills.
It's better then camping snipers & a gunship from said player :p it might not completely remove the camping but it helps.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
They can't keep camping from being an effective strategy, but they've reworked the killstreak concept to reward mobile run & gun tactics to offset it, rather than campers being rewarded on top of the kills they're already getting.

I don't see the problem.

angelfly said:
When I felt like racking up kills, collecting tags was not an issue. Besides, in the full game there's gonna be a perk to help offset this.

I think it's a great system.

Klocker

yep, dog tags prevent campers form racking up killstreak bonuses.. Makes them have to move onto the battlefield if they want them.

i love it.

plus it's like a little collection bonus. you have a risk reward going for a tag and when you get it, it's like collecting an green orb or a star. ;)

It's hard to judge the game because of the lag and the fact that it's only 1 level. Are they going to improve the graphics as well? I thought Crysis was supposed to be the benchmark for FPS graphics? The gameplay feels a lot like Call of Duty but with sci-fi elements. It was decent but just made me want to go play Black Ops instead of wanting to purchase the full version of this whenever it comes out.

Synth_floyd said:
It's hard to judge the game because of the lag and the fact that it's only 1 level. Are they going to improve the graphics as well? I thought Crysis was supposed to be the benchmark for FPS graphics? The gameplay feels a lot like Call of Duty but with sci-fi elements. It was decent but just made me want to go play Black Ops instead of wanting to purchase the full version of this whenever it comes out.
the 360 is more or less maxed out with this sort of game, I would not expect much more out of the old console but I still think (console wise) it's a stunning looking game though jaggy in areas. PS3 might have a few more tricks up it's sleeve but we don't know yet.

The most impressive thing is the lighting, go inside the builds in the demo level and just look around, it makes reach and black ops feel bland.

qirex99

Banned
Diablohead said:
the 360 is more or less maxed out with this sort of game, I would not expect much more out of the old console but I still think (console wise) it's a stunning looking game though jaggy in areas. PS3 might have a few more tricks up it's sleeve but we don't know yet.

The most impressive thing is the lighting, go inside the builds in the demo level and just look around, it makes reach and black ops feel bland.

Precisely how it grew on me as well. Go inside and cone back out. The lighting is amazing. The detail is stunning - and the physics!!!

SpudBud

I'm really enjoying the MP, though I'm not sold on how they are handling the suit powers in 2. Sprint is a joke compared to Speed in 1.

I just hope they release a PC demo at some point.

Gui_PT

Only thing I don't like about this game so far is the netcode.

I hate seeing that killcam, knowing I should've gotten the kill but ended up dead instead. (which happens 80% of the time)

McLovin

EviLore said:
They can't keep camping from being an effective strategy, but they've reworked the killstreak concept to reward mobile run & gun tactics to offset it, rather than campers being rewarded on top of the kills they're already getting.

I don't see the problem.
True, I was kind of annoyed until I realized why they did it. It's a really creative solution.

Klocker

Gui_PT said:
Only thing I don't like about this game so far is the netcode.

I hate seeing that killcam, knowing I should've gotten the kill but ended up dead instead. (which happens 80% of the time)

agreed. I love the graphics, love the jump/traversing, love the nano suit gadgets and power ups....hate, hate, hate the netcode and the random kill/death hitbox issue.

I didn't even get to play, since it froze my Xbox twice while going from the lobby into a game.

2GB download + two console freezes before even getting to see a single frame the actual game = me never thinking about this game again. Crytek sure knows how to make a great first impression to console gamers.

Klocker

Sharkington said:
I didn't even get to play, since it froze my Xbox twice while going from the lobby into a game.

2GB download + two console freezes before even getting to see a single frame the actual game = me never thinking about this game again. Crytek sure knows how to make a great first impression to console gamers.

are you on wi-fi?

One place where this game utterly fails is particle physics and explosions.

I played the variant where you have to defend the drop pods.

Wow.

The Drop Pod's explosion looks terrible, and it falls into 6-7 pieces like it's got fault lines and a pre-determined falling pattern.

Please learn from Reach's awesome explosion tech for next game. Immersion is greater this way.
breakpoint+map+halo+reach+explosion.jpg

OK, I'm getting the hang of the game a bit better. Got to call in my first gunship (7 dog tags) during a Crash Site game. Still haven't found a practical use for the slide move, and I replaced the air stomp with the perk that beeps when an enemy is nearby. Some other impressions from someone who mostly plays Black Ops these days:

- The controls feel great to me. Not sure what people mean about them being sluggish or laggy. The super jump and the way your guy climbs up ledges is really cool.

- Shooting people just isn't as satisfying as in Black Ops. I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it's because people take longer to die due to the armor.

- I'd like dog tags to be easier to see on the ground, and for the HUD to make it more obvious when you pick one up. I'd also like a way to check how many tags you currently have on this life. Sometimes I'll mow down a group of people, then spend longer than necessary running back and forth trying to figure out if I picked up all the tags or not.

- The radar screen seems less useful than in Black Ops, even when you have a spy plane up. Maybe it's because guys are stealthed. Finding enemies will probably be easier in the full game though, with perks like the one that lets you see the paths enemies are following.

- Melee feels off, like others have said. I get a lot of melee kills, but it never actually looks like I'm hitting the guy. I just click the right stick and I know it worked because points pop up.

- Another thing that feels weird is when I'm being shot from the back or side at medium-long range. I hear the thunk, thunk, thunk of bullet impacts, and it sounds like the enemy is hitting me with semi-auto single shots. But on the killcam, I see that he was firing full-auto and missing with most of his shots. I never heard all those other bullets whiz by or saw tracer rounds while I was being shot at.

- I like that we can put 3 attachments on a gun. I hope the full game has plenty to choose from.

- Some people will probably hate me for this, but I want bigger, louder UI spam. When I complete a challenge, the message that pops up is barely even noticeable. Crank that shit up!

- Both the music and sound effects are ultra sexy, at least on the menu screens.

Parallax Scroll said:
- Some people will probably hate me for this, but I want bigger, louder UI spam. When I complete a challenge, the message that pops up is barely even noticeable. Crank that shit up!
Dude instead of some lame ass linkin park guitar solo for when you level up like in black ops. For Crysis they should make it just a sexy ass saxaphone solo.

Slide is too short to do anything with it really, by the time I get sliding and start to aim I am back on my feet, I think it should be like sprint where you keep sliding but use up energy to do so, let me slide 30 meters lol.

practice02 said:
What physics are you referring to?
rag doll physics of the dead players. The original crysis has probably the best ever. Nothing like knocking down 5 guys with a shotgun to see them stumble around while you clean up.

Krauser Kat said:
rag doll physics of the dead players. The original crysis has probably the best ever. Nothing like knocking down 5 guys with a shotgun to see them stumble around while you clean up.
Meh I think BFBC2 is better on it's physics.
Plywood said:
Wow, this demo has crashed on me 3 times in a row when trying to play with my brother. :|
Clearly your brother is the cause of this sacrafice him to the console GODS.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
like see, if only there was a pc-demo. Soo much of this thread is dedicated to how good/bad it looks, if only there'd been a fucking pc demo then ofc nobody would say it looked bad, only varying grades of good.

Call of Duty melee: Slicing sound, blood spray, big yellow +100 on screen. It's obvious you killed the guy.

Halo melee: Loud, heavy thunk as you smack the other guy. Bright flash of his shields if he's not dead yet. Ragdoll flies backwards in exaggerated animation if he is dead. It's pretty obvious what happened.

Crysis 2 melee: Your guy flails his arms around and points pop up on screen if you got the kill. You can look down and see the guy on the ground and conclude that you must have somehow hit him.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Parallax Scroll said:
Crysis 2 melee: Your guy flails his arms around and points pop up on screen if you got the kill. You can look down and see the guy on the ground and conclude that you must have somehow hit him.

and there's a huge delay from the click to the action

I crouch faster than that... That's not right

Parallax Scroll said:
Agreed. We don't need an aggressive distorted guitar solo necessarily, but some more pomp and circumstance would be nice.

Diablohead said:
Slide is too short to do anything with it really, by the time I get sliding and start to aim I am back on my feet, I think it should be like sprint where you keep sliding but use up energy to do so, let me slide 30 meters lol.
- Used slide to slealth behind enemies on an objective and assassinate both of them.

- Used slide to run away from shots fired at me from a distance to get around a corner.

- Used slide to confuse enemy and close the 10ft gap between us, then shotgun to death.

Slide is awesome. Just gotta use it tactically

Mad Max said:
Crysis' explosions were way more awesome than anything in halo reach, but I think they got lazy on the 360 and just turned it off so the CPU wouldn't melt.

Random example from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FekWcbFMHSA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-0MWls-C5A&feature=related
OH I remember :D I have a great video card and was completely immersed and impressed with all of the explosions. But that was on PC. Apples to Apples, Reach is on the 360

Why For?

Banned
Didn't enjoy this MP demo much at all.

Just seems...off. No consistency either. Unless that was a lag issue. Not sure what IGN were talking about with performance though.

Seemed to run ok to me, and the controls seemed fine. But there was just inconsistency (I assume from lag).

The old 'I unload a clip into a guy who doesn't die', and then I get done by a bullet or two.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Why For? said:
Didn't enjoy this MP demo much at all.

Just seems...off. No consistency either. Unless that was a lag issue. Not sure what IGN were talking about with performance though.

Seemed to run ok to me, and the controls seemed fine. But there was just inconsistency (I assume from lag).

The old 'I unload a clip into a guy who doesn't die', and then I get done by a bullet or two.

A hole shotgun clip with armor activated and I die

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
orbital strike has to be the most worthless kill streak. Ive used it about 4-5 times now on crash site(Objectives mode) and it never hits anything.

Team grabs the point, I activate orbital strike. Nothing!

I NEED SCISSORS said:
You're thinking of QAA, and there is no change in resolution.

No. Quaz51 made a post about the topic here. Too lazy to search for it though.

Erm, the resolution is 720p or higher when the system is set to 1080p. You misunderstood my post.

GeneralIroh said:
I am in.

And that's not the same BWOOOOM from the trailer. That's actually from Hans Zimmer's track from the OST. The trailer music was only brass, composed by Zack Hemsey. If he ever went into video game composing, I'd buy the whole game, no matter how crappy.

Top Bottom