• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dani Mathers (former Playboy model) may face jail time for invasion of privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
http://www.tmz.com/2016/09/05/playmate-dani-mathers-police-investigation/

Mathers originally had her membership to an L.A. Fitness gym revoked when she "privately" took a photo of an older woman in an the facility's showers, posting the photo to social media with the caption "If I can't unsee this then you can't either." Mathers claimed it was meant to be a private photo and that "she's not that kind of person." Her apology can be found here.

The lady in the photo has come forward, which now means Mathers can face legal action.

The LAPD has finally tracked down the woman Playboy Playmate Dani Mathers body shamed and they'll ask prosecutors to nail her.

We've learned the woman -- in her 70's -- wants Mathers to feel the full force of the law for taking a pic of her while she was changing clothes in the locker room of an LA Fitness. The woman is more than willing to testify and cooperate in any way she can to bring Mathers to justice.

As for the likely charge ... we're told it's Dissemination of Private Images, a misdemeanor punishable by 6 months in jail. The L.A. City Attorney is reviewing the case and will make a decision soon.

Original thread (locked)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You do the extremely shitty and awful crime then you gotta do the time. It rhymes you see. I learned that from the best lawyer ever.

I do look forward to the white knight brigade to come to her aid. it was all over twitter when it initially broke. Yea dudes, she's totally gunna let you pick her up in your miada and go to the red lobster after you defended her.

The ignorance tech-literate people like her plead when one of their mean, humorless missives goes viral really annoys the shit out of me.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Good. Send a fucking message.

dhMeAzK.gif

inky

I hope so, taking pictures of people like that in a gym (or any other place for that matter) is so disrespectful. Only a terrible person would do it and they deserve punishment for it.

ThisGuy

6 months for a photo?

Am I wrong for thinking that's a bit much? I don't know what the standard is, but half a year is long enough to really mess you up. Housing, bills, work. All that.

Well, after seeing those replies, I think I am wrong. Nvm.

ohhhh noooo her poor financial situation....who put her there in that situation again, oh yeah she dud

😂

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
6 months for a photo?

Am I wrong for thinking that's a bit much? I don't know what the standard is, but half a year is long enough to really mess you up. Housing, bills, work. All that.

ohhhh noooo her poor financial situation....who put her there in that situation again, oh yeah she did

Say "If I can't unsee this then you can't either."

And then say, "it was meant to be a private photo and that 'she's not that kind of person.'"

How does this make any semblance of logical sense? She knew exactly wtf she was doing.

You know it never occurred to me that someone would do something this disgusting to someone else in a change room like she was until this story broke. The logic jumps one would have to take to follow through on taking the pic, writing a quip then actually posting it.

I hope she is convicted.

Aselith

6 months for a photo?

Well, after seeing those replies, I think I am wrong. Nvm.

😂

No, considering people don't want to let transgender people go to the bathroom for fear of it

aliengmr

She deserves it.

This jail time defense force certainly has been on the rise on GAF lately.

Normally I would be against jail time for petty nonviolent crimes, but in this case I can't muster any defense, she crossed that line, maliciously, and deserves what she gets.

She's awful and should be punished but the "lock em away" decision for every little thing is why our prison populations are out of control.

Jenov

She's a fucking idiot. Body shaming a 70 year old woman? Really? I hope the judge throw the book at her.

I love that her defense is, "But it was supposed to be a PRIVATE violation of someone's privacy during a vulnerable moment!" I mean, that's straight up confessing to the crime, right? How does the intention to share something like that privately make it any less criminal?

Glad that the other woman came forward. Good on her for facing this down.

I thought gaf was against US jails and prisons? Shouldn't she get rehabilitated into society instead of getting tossed in jail?

She'd be a waste of space, her time should be better spent doing back breaking community service and banned from all social media.

I guess the latter couldn't be regulated though...

Aselith

I love that her defense is, "But it was supposed to be a PRIVATE violation of someone's privacy during a vulnerable moment!" I mean, that's straight up confessing to the crime, right? How does the intention to share something like that privately make it any less criminal?

Glad that the other woman came forward. Good on her for facing this down.

It's a valid defense. That's why I only take up skirt panty shots for my private collections.

Jarrod38

Now if the woman wants to press charges then her name will become public and we know what some people will do with that information.

I thought gaf was against US jails and prisons? Shouldn't she get rehabilitated into society instead of getting tossed in jail?

I'm against prisons because I feel they house more victims than criminals. People who, were they given the same chances and privileges I was, would have been good productive people to society. Privileges a successful model likely has. Yet despite that she decided to be a terrible person. So while I don't particularly support prisons and her possible sentencing, I'm also not going to waste my time fighting that fight.

Paz

It's weird they are focused on the body shaming here and not the super creepy act of taking a photo of someone in a shower and releasing it on the internet, regardless of why.

I guess it was a bit of a double whammy, body shaming a 70 year old, while they are literally at the gym.

Well when there's a possibility of a massive payday involved anyone would have come forward.

You seem awfully cynical about this. Even if there's a chance at a "massive payday", it's actually okay for a victim of a crime to come forward and cooperate with an investigation.

In fact, by getting the suspect convicted of criminal charges, the victim stands an even better chance of winning in a civil suit. If those with privilege and money want to think they can get away with anything they want, hit them in their freedom and their checkbook. It's the only way to make an impression.

Bottom line: I have the quite controversial opinion of thinking that the elderly shouldn't have to be victims of body shaming as a result of criminal photos being taken of them in a private setting. And I won't apologize for that position!

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Haha, didn't her apology involve saying something along the lines of: "It was supposed to be a private message!!!"

sorry I cant read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom