• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dani Mathers (former Playboy model) may face jail time for invasion of privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

I thought gaf was against US jails and prisons? Shouldn't she get rehabilitated into society instead of getting tossed in jail?

Ideally, yes. I think jail is a harsh sentence for anything non violent.

That said, the system is what it is currently and it's more about celebrities and the wealthy getting off scott free more than anything. She should have to do the time because I would if I did this.

Da-Kid

I wouldn't put her in jail for six months or anytime. At this point I think the backlash she faced is pretty much enough.

And people were worried about transgendered people 'faking' it to take pictures in a woman's bathroom.

Ridiculous.

She's not getting jail time, but community service could do a world of good here.

riotous

Banned
Isn't that an actual defence for those kind of things? I thought the crime was always about distribution of images?

No. People get caught doing it and then have their phones searched. Read an article once every few months about a perv getting busted at a Starbucks. Has nothing to do with distribution.

MC Safety

Isn't this the same as what paparazzi do everyday? Why aren't they all arrested?

This is a private citizen photographed naked in a shower in a private gym.

There's a reasonable expectation for privacy that exists for private citizens in private places.

Public figures and celebrities have less of a right to privacy in public places. But they're certainly protected against being photographed while naked in a shower in a private setting.

I thought gaf was against US jails and prisons? Shouldn't she get rehabilitated into society instead of getting tossed in jail?
It is very clear that what she did was malicious, and when caught, she tried to change her story. She isn't remorseful in every sense of the word. Prison punishment is exactly for people like her. Throw the books at her.

Update: Her motion to dismiss was rejected and now it's likely to go to trial.

http://www.thewrap.com/dani-mathers-loses-motion-to-dismiss-playboy-body-shaming/

No remorse even after? What a piece of shit.

The city attorney cited Mathers’ perceived lack of remorse in its argument.

“Defendant petitions the court for diversion … however, she does not qualify nor merit such leniency. Her post-crime behavior is indicative of the fact that Defendant has never shown remorse for her behavior and therefore she should face the consequences of her cruel and criminal act,” the city attorney contended.​

Kettch

Jail time for shaming someone? Seriously? Seems a bit excessive.

It's not for shaming. As per the OP it's for "Dissemination of Private Images". Turns out that taking and publishing pictures of someone changing in a locker room is against the law.

TBiddy

It's not for shaming. As per the OP it's for "Dissemination of Private Images". Turns out that taking and publishing pictures of someone changing in a locker room is against the law.

I think the topic is confusing people. This has next to nothing to do with bodyshaming, which is in no way illegal.

KonradLaw

6 months for something like this? Jeez, you Americans are scary as hell.
Just hit her with a big damages, will her as much and at least the old lady will benefit from nice paycheck

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
This entire thing is gross. Dani for taking the picture in the first place, the justice system for how often it throws non violent offenders in jail, and this thread for the gross bloodthirsty glee over someone getting locked up in an awful horrid place. Jail should be the last resort, we are so fucked up with our sense of justice in the US. Dani should be paying a massive fine to lady she photographed and that be the end of it.

What the hell at so many people saying "good" and "no sympathy".

It's jail... For... Body shaming. This is some Brave New World utopian/dystopian society shit.

Greddleok

She took a nude photo of an old lady

For shaming yes, for taking unsolicited pictures in a changing room? Fuck no.

She took a naked picture without permission and sent it out to people.

Thirteen posts for the OP, one for the bump. For God's sake it's a nude photo from a locker room posted to social media. What do you think?

She posted the photo of a naked stranger on social media.

I'm not defending her...I know what she did, but 6 months in jail...armed robbery, assault and armed burglary all carry a 1 year sentence. They're not of the same order in my opinion. Just fine the shit out of her, sue her for damages and give her 12 months of humiliating community service.
Just seems a drastic measure to give her a similar punishment as a violent criminal.

Chuckie

It's jail... For... Body shaming. This is some Brave New World utopian/dystopian society shit.

It is not for body shaming, it is for taking an unsolicited nude picture and posting it online.

Not saying I agree with a jail sentence, just saying it is not for body shaming.

entremet

I think people are focusing too much on the shaming aspect instead of her committing a crime, recording someone from a locker room discretely.

Kwixotik

Im not in favor of a jail sentence here, but the crime here wasn't bodyshaming. That's just the label that's been attached to the scandal. The crime was secretly taking and publishing online nude photos of an old woman in a changing room.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

If someone secretly took naked photos of your mother and released them on Facebook you are saying there should be no penalty?

I think you actually need to read the charge because it sure as shit isn't for body-shaming. It was part of the scandal but not for that.

I'm not defending her...I know what she did, but 6 months in jail...armed robbery, assault and armed burglary all carry a 1 year sentence. They're not of the same order in my opinion. Just fine the shit out of her, sue her for damages and give her 12 months of humiliating community service.
Just seems a drastic measure to give her a similar punishment as a violent criminal.

What? I just googled it, and here in Florida, the sentencing for robbery is 15 years and armed robbery is 30 years.

Edit: It's the max sentencing, but still, it's not 1 year across the board.

John_B

If somebody secretly took photos of your mom showering in the gym and put them online you would probably feel like it deserved more than an apology.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
If someone secretly took naked photos of your mother and released them on Facebook you are saying there should be no penalty?

Of course there should be a penalty. That person should be paying out the ass for emotional damages and doing community service to help make her community a better place.
Her being in jail helps nobody except people who want to metaphorically poke her with sticks as she sits in shackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom