• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - March 2014

Booshka

Are they anything like the old school Mega Man games? Those games (like most old school games) involved a lot of memorization and timing, but once you got the hang of it, it was like a freaking drug. I got to the point where I could literally beat any level in mega man X blindfolded.

Great, now I got the feels. I'm going to have to go bust out the snes.

Every enemy and area is static and able to memorized. Enemy patterns are also very exploitable, there is still some RNG in there, but it's is pretty consistent. It lends itself to Speedruns very well because of how it is designed.

On high levels of play in PvE it is all about memorization and timing, and your game knowledge and mechanics are directly related to your success. It just has very confusing and hidden RPG mechanics that take a lot of time and some research to learn. Once you figure out all that though, it's all about your gameplay.

Grief.exe

With a release date like that and no ps4 release, I don't understand.

The install base will be fairly small at that point.

The x86/x64 architecture will make for a fairly simple port. If they aim for a Fall release for PS4/Xbone versions they could make some good money.

From probably committing all of their resources to the 3 versions right now, releasing with 5 versions would be biting off more than they could chew.

Seanspeed

Banned
Except for the first game I'm right there with you friend. I'm actually downloading dark souls as I type this. Wish I had a ps3 so I could play the first one though. ='(

Question: Are these games really as hard as I hear everyone acting like they are?
For a first-timer to the series, probably yes.

Enjoy yourself. You're in for a treat. And visit the Dark Souls threads in the Community section. People love talking about their experiences and helping one another. For people playing it for the first time, it basically functions as a support group. :)

Servbot24

Banned
Are they anything like the old school Mega Man games in terms of difficulty? Those games (like most old school games) involved a lot of memorization and timing, but once you got the hang of it, it was like a freaking drug. I got to the point where I could literally beat any level in mega man X blindfolded.

Great, now I got the feels. I'm going to have to go bust out the snes.

It's somewhat comparable. Both series can be fairly easy (or manageable at least) once you learn how to be cautious, though MegaMan has a lot of twitch gameplay sections which DS doesn't really have. And of course you can grind in DS if you want.

That's far away :( It's weird to not get it in October like the two other titles.
But well, if it means the game will be great, I can't complain much I guess :)

RoeBear

I thought it would be out sooner from all the stuff they showed on the IGN exclusive. Hopefully good things come to those who wait.

kortez320

Dark Souls is my favorite game this generation. I played it late on PC thinking I wouldn't like it. It held my attention for four playthroughs before I even touched another game.

Little disappointing it's not coming this year but I'm happy to give From as much time as they need. Especially with Miyazaki (?) not directing this one.

Also thrilled about the fact that PC is the lead platform this time around. Will allow everyone to get the best version possible.

Didn't expected it in 2013 anyway.

With marketing in full force I hope sales will be up to standard. 2.2 millions was a little disappointing for the game of the generation.

When will Torment be released, again ? 2014 = glorious year for RPG ?

March?! Oh well, something to look forward to. Though i wonder what platforms it will be on now, should find out at E3.

Awesome to see the game being given the marketing and budget it deserves, but i hope compromises aren't made to the fundamentals of the series.

I don't see a PS4 or Xbox One logo on there. Is it still possible for a next gen release? When I saw gameplay that looked way too good for current gen.

For a first-timer to the series, probably yes.

Enjoy yourself. You're in for a treat. And visit the Dark Souls threads in the Community section. People love talking about their experiences and helping one another. For people playing it for the first time, it basically functions as a support group. :)

I'm a glutton for punishment. ;) I like to see how far I can get before I go for help. As of now I know next to nothing about this game except the genre and that it's hard.

I'm so freaking hyped right now, it's going to be like watching a movie that you know is going to be good without having spoiled yourself on the trailers.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It sure is far off- but will it be shown during one of the conferences? Super intrigued!

I'm sure it will be in one of the inevitable montages. Would be surprised if they demo'd it during the conference. Too many XBone and PS4 games to show instead.

Mileena

Banned
to those complaining about no next gen, PC is what we're gonna have to settle for. I loved the super active community of the PS3 version of DS (that forest is still poppin, I dare you to go in there human alone ;]) but it's not worth giving up the 60fps goodness on PC. I can't imagine DS2 looking better and running at an acceptable framerate, FROM ain't that great.

I'd personally double dip on a Wii U version for off TV Dark Souls 2 but that seems unlikely with how shitty the software sales are for third parties on it.

GOTY 2014

Yea this. I've got no doubts it would smash X or SSB4 if they come out next year.

Frodo

At least I'll be able to save some money until there, because this year is looking like it is going to be a bloodbath to my wallet.

\[T]/

i-Lo

I have always wondered what if you could fit different games with the utilization of Demon's/Dark Souls game mechanic, like perhaps:
  • A Star Wars game
  • A new System Shock game

Frodo

May I also join the small chorus wanting the game on the Wii U? Would love to have the inventory on the GamePad and go HUD free on the big screen, not to mention that since I gathered almost 200 hours playing Dark Souls, Off-TV play would be very, very handy.

Please, From Software!

Iwata, where is that moneyhat when we need it?

Mileena

Banned
May I also join the small chorus wanting the game on the Wii U? Would love to have the inventory on the GamePad and go HUD free on the big screen, not to mention that since I gathered almost 200 hours playing Dark Souls, Off-TV play would be very, very handy.

Please, From Software!

Iwata, where is that moneyhat when we need it?

We're like two out of the 15 people that would buy it, sadly.

I suspect I'll be incredibly busy near the end of this/beginning of the next, so I can safely say they can take as much time as they like. I imagine how hard the wait would be otherwise. This is a game I would buy a new console for if I had to (but thankfully already ready for PC!).

Calamari41

41 > 38
My immense backlog remains largely untouched thanks to Dark Souls. Almost every time I take a look at my Steam games list in the hopes of whittling it down, I see Dark Souls sitting there and inevitably put another 30 hours into a new character.

This is the game that will break that cycle! I'm literally scheduling a play through of Dark Souls a couple weeks before this drops, just so that I'm not rusty.

Top Bottom