• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Press Event Discussion: Embargo - 8am CST (03/01/)

Zaventem

Ah i remember when there was only one japanese streamer on justin tv when the game came out.Doing cartwheels and shit that sure was fun alright.

I still have my screenshot, fun times. edit, found it, one of the earilest streamers to get the game.

ONIONBRO.png

Some say it ruins the experience but i love getting hyped with the community when there's a delay.

idonteven

i dont like how they give streamers a game early,i mean reviewers yeah but dude twitch is like the worst place to be for spoilers and be sure they are gonna go spread spoilers like crazy

i dont like how they give streamers a game early,i mean reviewers yeah but dude twitch is like the worst place to be for spoilers and be sure they are gonna go spread spoilers like crazy

One word: Marketing.
Capcom did the same with RE Zero HD, they gave it to famous Twitch RE streamers early so they could get the attention higher.

Kolx

I'd laugh and cry at the same time if DS3 somehow got leaked from these versions and was pirated while we have to wait until release. It probably won't happen since it was handed to a very few known people but imagine if that happens. The outrage will be glorious.

If someone could make a spoiler-free impressions thread for those importing or buying the JPN version, I would be most grateful.
THIS.

Zaventem

I'd laugh and cry at the same time if DS3 somehow got leaked from these versions and was pirated while we have to wait until release. It probably won't happen since it was handed to very a few known people but imagine if that happens. The outrage will be glorious.

I'm betting it will happen, i don't mind spoilers though.

Jobbs

Banned
To my importing bros...

What starting class on Wednesday?

I'm leaning heavily towards Herald. I normally play cleric on my first Souls run, but I feel like I don't want to raise Luck, and the few extra points in dext do not bother me because, as a first play, I may want a hair of dex to meet equipment requirements since I don't know yet what's out there.

The other thought is to avoid spells/miracles because determining what spells to buy will slow me down in the JP version since I can't read the names or descriptions and google translate may or may not be rock solid for it. In that case, Warrior is the best choice bar none, because it has the fewest points spent in spellcasting stats (add attuntement, int, and faith together.. for warrior, the total is 23, which is the lowest of any class, ergo the least points "wasted").

putarorex

To my importing bros...

I'm leaning heavily towards Herald. I normally play cleric on my first Souls run, but I feel like I don't want to raise Luck, and the few extra points in dext do not bother me because, as a first play, I may want a hair of dex to meet equipment requirements since I don't know yet what's out there.

The other thought is to avoid spells/miracles because determining what spells to buy will slow me down in the JP version since I can't read the names or descriptions and google translate may or may not be rock solid for it. In that case, Warrior is the best choice bar none, because it has the fewest points spent in spellcasting stats (add attuntement, int, and faith together.. for warrior, the total is 23, which is the lowest of any class, ergo the least points "wasted").

I am not importing (I live in Japan and will pick up the game on Thursday morning), but I am leaning toward the mercenary since I would like to try out a dex build this time around and the starting armor is pretty cool looking. I wonder how important attunement will be for non caster classes. It governs max FP, which is used for weapon arts. I guess it depends on how easy the weapon arts are to use. Videos I've seen seem to suggest that some of the attacks have long wind up times.

I am also tempted to play a pyromancer, which was the class I played in the first dark souls.

Majin Boo

To my importing bros...

Already decided I would start as a Knight and make a Claymore quality build without a shield (unless there is something like the Grass Crest Shield).

I considered the warrior for the reasons you mentioned, but apparently attunement affects focus points, so I guess that even for a melee character attunement could be more useful than luck.

I still have my screenshot, fun times. edit, found it, one of the earilest streamers to get the game.

ONIONBRO.png

Some say it ruins the experience but i love getting hyped with the community when there's a delay.

I wish that these streams were archived somewhere. I remember checking in only once for an hour, the guy died like 30 times to the Capra Demon.

convo

ONIONBRO.png

Invisible bridges and giant dragon butts sure were a riot when nobody knew about it.

Carl7

I am not importing (I live in Japan and will pick up the game on Thursday morning), but I am leaning toward the mercenary since I would like to try out a dex build this time around and the starting armor is pretty cool looking. I wonder how important attunement will be for non caster classes. It governs max FP, which is used for weapon arts. I guess it depends on how easy the weapon arts are to use. Videos I've seen seem to suggest that some of the attacks have long wind up times.

I am also tempted to play a pyromancer, which was the class I played in the first dark souls.

FOUND OUR TRANSLATOR, BOYS.

I will pick Pyormancer and make a dex/int build

To my importing bros...

I am going with the Knight.

silva1991

Fucking hell, I was searching for a DS2 boss name, but by mistake I googled Dark Souls 3 bosses instead of 2(fucking typos)

I open the wiki page and thankfully my eyes only looked directly at Voldt.

I think I noticed a
flaming boss so, we probably have a lava level in this game

I wonder how will lava levels will look on Bloodborne engine

Zaventem

Fucking hell, I was searching for a DS2 boss name, but by mistake I googled Dark Souls 3 bosses instead of 2(fucking typos)

I think I noticed a

Hopefully no shitty bloom.

Ryan7556

Neo Member

I think I noticed a

Not just that, in the undead settlement near Siegward, there's a taurus demon (which looks like it kind of merged with the bed of chaos), so we could have a whole section of fighting demons again.

Finalow

I actually never realized until now that these games have only english VA, even in the japanese versions. then again they always do a great job in that regard so I really have no complaints.

-
At least people won't complain about hitboxes this time.
nah, I'm positive as soon as someone on the internet notices a slightly bigger-than-what-it-should-be hitbox, coming from a random enemy charge attack, people will start pretending the whole game has a glaring issue of bad hitboxes.

What's the issue here? Are you made uncomfortable by the fact that some people have an easier time with the games then you? Don't be I'm just good at videogames.
kek, only good? I'm at least amazing. some would say I was born with such a gift, I remember finishing smb blindfolded when I was 5, my family and friends were shocked at the time but to me it was just as simple as scratching my nose.
I'll be streaming this game if anyone wants to witness miracles.

takoyaki

To my importing bros...

Knight (or whatever is closest to Royal from DeS), haven't read up on the classes yet and want to stumble my way through the first play-through without knowing too much. That's half the fun for me with Souls games.

Jobbs

Banned
I'd avoid knight if only for how played out it is! Herald has the cooler armor anyway. That cape...

Yep! I will post the thread in like 8 or so hours.

Nice. I'll be there with bells on, good sir.

You understand Japanese, right? I haven't been a close Yoshi follow so I'm not sure.

Probably mercenary for DEX based character.

The Mercenary starts with a great cape too, and the scimitar moves are crazy in DS3 (some are familiar, some are new).

vilmer_

I wish that these streams were archived somewhere. I remember checking in only once for an hour, the guy died like 30 times to the Capra Demon.

I remember those early Japanese streams fondly. Just a bunch of players having a total blast with the game. The videos that kept pouring into Nico Nico were so damn good as well.

Sansviedotcom, you know what to do.

TitusTroy

anyone know if Dark Souls 3 is going to have the same mechanic as DS2 where enemies stop respawning after a certain number of kills??...I hope not...I hated that mechanic...was just another example of them dumbing down or making the game easier for new players

anyone know if Dark Souls 3 is going to have the same mechanic as DS2 where enemies stop respawning after a certain number of kills??...I hope not...I hated that mechanic...was just another example of them dumbing down or making the game easier for new players

If I remember right, Miyazaki said in an interview that the mechanic was not present in DkS3.

And yeah, is for the better.

J-Skee

Would you guys say that the Mercenary class is the closest thing to Hunters from Bloodborne? That's the game I'm coming from & I wanna use a class similar to that in proper Dark Souls before I dig into the other classes.

Jobbs

Banned
Would you guys say that the Mercenary class is the closest thing to Hunters from Bloodborne? That's the game I'm coming from & I wanna use a class similar to that in proper Dark Souls before I dig into the other classes.

This depends highly on if raising attunement to a certain level is deemed to be a good idea for pure melee fighters (because it apparently affects focus used for arts).

If it's not all that important, then warrior is the best (unless you want to maintain a really low strength). Otherwise, merc and thief are good choices.

That would be thief since (weapon arts spoilers)
the dagger weapon art is a sidestep similar to bloodborne
but yeah is limited to a dagger, unless other weapons has the same weapon art.

Outside of that, it will be hard to replicate BB gameplay on DkS3, BB is an evolution path of DkS combat and as so, you won't find it in DkS3, but probably Thief is your best bet.

Man. I really like the idea of trying to best this in Japanese, as well as playing it three weeks early, but the price difference, 60 FPS, and having it on PC for the foreseeable future (in case I sell my PS4) makes this really a tough sell.

Jobbs

Banned
Man. I really like the idea of trying to best this in Japanese, as well as playing it three weeks early, but the price difference, 60 FPS, and having it on PC for the foreseeable future (in case I sell my PS4) makes this really a tough sell.

I'm doing both... PS4 JP, then PC NA.

I don't splurge in an impractical manner often, but you only live once, Dark Souls games only come out so often

Top Bottom