• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Jangaroo said:
WHAT? Dear god... not another Triforce hunt.

The end game fetch quest for the game is only an hour long. It's one of the most tame fetch quests ever.

Dreavus

Majukun said:
my only problem with the game is:Why so much empty long hallways ?they really didn't find a better way to make the level design "match"?

I think they use some of the hallways to hide load times; same with the "serpent hole" fast travel areas you travel through in between Vulgrim's portals.

Haunted

Jangaroo said:
WHAT? Dear god... not another Triforce hunt.
That's what always shuts people up when they're arguing that this isn't a Zelda game. :p

jett said:
Finished it. I was expecting more from the ending after all the gushing praise about it. :p Overall a good game.
How badass was the last line?

That's right. So badass.

Dreavus

So... does this game have problems saving properly?

Once I got to the Ashlands I spent about half an hour going back and looking for ice to break with my new fist weapon. Found a bunch of items including the ignite weapon enhancement, and portal'd back to the Ashlands to save the game for next time. I distictly remember saving too. When I reload it's as if I never did any of that back tracking (no ignite enhancement in my inventory and no 4th wrath pip, which i also finished).

It's not a HUGE loss this time but I'm hoping it was somehow my fault so I don't have to worry about crap like this in the future. =(

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
That happened to me a few times though I chalked it up to me not hitting a check point or something. That's actually a good question. I usually stopped playing once I saw a blue skull icon flash on the bottom left corner of my screen.

Peterthumpa

Enjoying the game a lot and thinking about 100% it, but was checking the achievements and saw one of the stupidest ever - "beat the game on easy" - and no, beating on higher difficulties doesn't unlock it.

Volcynika

felipepl said:
Enjoying the game a lot and thinking about 100% it, but was checking the achievements and saw one of the stupidest ever - "beat the game on easy" - and no, beating on higher difficulties doesn't unlock it.

Odd, because I beat the game on Apocalyptic and it gave me both the Normal and Easy achievement completion ones. (PC version)

Jangaroo

I beat the game on PC and I realized that I missed out on like half of the achievements that I should have had including the one for beating the game. Guess something was up on Steam's end or something.

Volcynika

Jangaroo said:
I beat the game on PC and I realized that I missed out on like half of the achievements that I should have had including the one for beating the game. Guess something was up on Steam's end or something.

Not Steam's end at all. A good bit of people didn't get credit for things they did even with a good connection to Steam that did not break. Seems to be something that Vigil both hasn't responded about on the forums and won't fix.

Jangaroo

Volcynika said:
Not Steam's end at all. A good bit of people didn't get credit for things they did even with a good connection to Steam that did not break. Seems to be something that Vigil both hasn't responded about on the forums and won't fix.
Oh yikes, I didn't know that. Oh wells, what can you do.

Dreavus

I just beat the game. It had pretty cool ending if I do say so myself. Didn't really reveal a whole lot but at the very least it leaves the series wide open for a sequel.

The last boss was a bit disappointing in terms of difficulty, although I chalk that up to my obscenely huge health bar and badass armor. Funny how I went from having my face ripped off in only a few hits from the earlier bosses like Tiamat (apocalyptic difficulty), to shrugging off anything the game throws at me with several health potions in reserve that I never use.

I went back into my save after the credits and find I'm still stuck with the
Armageddon blade
. I know it's awesome and everything, and probably way better than the
Chaoseater
ever could be, but I can't stand that you can't put any enhancements on it. I had JUST found
War's glory
(which i previously missed) and was reveling in how awesome it was before the switch... Makes me wish I had kept a save from before forging. I want my cool glowing sword effects, damnit! =(

EDIT:

Also, not sure if I just missed this or if it was never intentionally revealed but I was wondering...

Story spoiler:
Who was it that Abbadon was making his "serve in heaven, or rule in hell" deal with, to become the destroyer? I thought it might be Samael at first, but I think it was a woman's voice that was speaking to him in the cutscene. Sounded kind of like Uriel actually, but that doesn't really make much sense. Was this ever revealed?

duckroll

Volcynika said:

Yeah. I probably won't ever get the two achievements for beating the final boss and beating the game, simply because it glitched out when I beat the game, and I couldn't be bothered to do it again before I uninstalled it to free up more space. :lol

Rolf NB

DonMigs85 said:
It's fairly decent but leaves a lot of loose ends. Voice acting is top-notch though.
Speaking of which, the main guy has the same voice as Grimoire Weiss in Nier. So awesome.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
seady said:
How is the story in this game?

The actual story told is pretty standard comic book stuff. The voice acting and cut scenes are excellent, though.

Rolf NB said:
Speaking of which, the main guy has the same voice as Grimoire Weiss in Nier. So awesome.

He does Gaara in Naruto, as well.

KevinCow

Banned
Dreavus said:
Also, not sure if I just missed this or if it was never intentionally revealed but I was wondering...

Story spoiler:
Who was it that Abbadon was making his "serve in heaven, or rule in hell" deal with, to become the destroyer? I thought it might be Samael at first, but I think it was a woman's voice that was speaking to him in the cutscene. Sounded kind of like Uriel actually, but that doesn't really make much sense. Was this ever revealed?

It was never revealed. Speculation is that it was Lilith, Samael's right-hand chick who only appeared in the preorder comic. But that's just speculation.

Hey guys. Playing the PC version with a wired controller. How the fuck do you aim the crossblade. It's driving me nuts! I was able to get through first door using a lucky ricochet. But I can't aim at the fucking bomb by the statue.

duckroll

The_Inquisitor said:
Hey guys. Playing the PC version with a wired controller. How the fuck do you aim the crossblade. It's driving me nuts! I was able to get through first door using a lucky ricochet. But I can't aim at the fucking bomb by the statue.

You press down on the right analog to go in and out of aim mode. While in aim mode, you hold L2 to lock on to multiple targets.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
The_Inquisitor said:

click the right stick in.

vocab

What the hell is up with summoning Ruin, and instantly getting off? Is this a bug? Or is it because I summon him in the middle of battle? I get fucked a lot because of it. If I stand still he seems fine.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just finished this (finally), great game had a real good time. Getting the Abyssal Armor makes the end boss a freaking pushover though, holy crap.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
KCHusker33 said:
If $14.99 at Amazon wasn't convincing enough it is now only $12.99 at Amazon :D

Ordered.

Holy shit, I had no idea this game had gotten so cheap. Alright, so which version do I order? Any major/minor issues between the 360/PS3 versions?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm stuck at The Broken Stairs where I fight that dumb ogre/troll on that crumbled bridge. It's a little off-putting after dying several times in a row (especially since there's no retry option, only load from last checkpoint, which isn't particularly far away, just annoying when you have to do it again and again). It shares a few things with Zelda so far, but otherwise it's actually closer to a more open God of War or any other hack'n'slash than Zelda, so the topic title isn't strictly true.

But that's so far. We'll see if it opens up a bit.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
StarEye said:
I'm stuck at The Broken Stairs where I fight that dumb ogre/troll on that crumbled bridge. It's a little off-putting after dying several times in a row (especially since there's no retry option, only load from last checkpoint, which isn't particularly far away, just annoying when you have to do it again and again). It shares a few things with Zelda so far, but otherwise it's actually closer to a more open God of War or any other hack'n'slash than Zelda, so the topic title isn't strictly true.

But that's so far. We'll see if it opens up a bit.

You haven't even made it to the first dungeon yet. Trust me, the Zelda comparisons are very apt.

Zizbuka

Banned
Is there any word on how the PC version sold? I'm not far in, just beat the first boss, but so far it's a great game.

Hopefully the sequel will be on PC too.

sn00zer

Playing A LOT of this lately (finished off the fourth Guardian)....really fun....some of the dungeons can be bit annoying, but satisfying combat and it actually being difficult are huge pluses in my book... cant wait for the sequel

rpgb46

I've just started this and while it is enjoyable I think it's a little too difficult to be classed as normal. Also the art direction leaves a lot to be desired.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hey there!

Just got this a couple days ago and I'm so far enjoying it quite a bit. I'm somewhat bitter at the obvious padding like
the challenges to open the stone doors
and somewhat shallow upgrade/RPG mechanics but it's an old school blast - Legend of Zelda + God of War combat.

Working up my way to the second guardian.

vocab

Bitmap Frogs said:
Hey there!

Just got this a couple days ago and I'm so far enjoying it quite a bit. I'm somewhat bitter at the obvious padding like
the challenges to open the stone doors
and somewhat shallow upgrade/RPG mechanics but it's an old school blast - Legend of Zelda + God of War combat.

Working up my way to the second guardian.

Yup, there's a lot of padded filler. If they took out a lot of the repetitive shit out of this game, it would be a better play for some people.

Anyway, I beat it. It's a decent game. Not a great port job though. Had some CTD's, and the game doesn't like my hardware (i5-750, 5850, 8gb ddr3), or the game is supposed to freeze for no reason to represent a fake loading screen. If they took the Capcom approach to the PC port, it would of been a ridiculous looking game.

Also, that problem I had with Ruin kept happening during the final battle. I think it's intended or there's some bad coding for the PC port in that regard.

vocab said:
Yup, there's a lot of padded filler. If they took out a lot of the repetitive shit out of this game, it would be a better play for some people.

But that's kind of what the Zelda formula is. A lot of filler and fetch quests. At least most of the time isn't spent traversing a nearly empty world.

vocab

AceBandage said:
But that's kind of what the Zelda formula is. A lot of filler and fetch quests. At least most of the time isn't spent traversing a nearly empty world.

Kind of. My biggest problem with Darksiders is that I didn't feel the need to explore any where, while Zelda is all about exploring to find some crazy shit. Maybe I'm just getting older, or maybe because the world in Darksiders isn't all that interesting. The one time I did explore in Darksiders, I found this human guy dressed up like a Mime, and he starting swinging at me. I turned into chaos form, and he says 2vs1? that's unfair. And he jumped into a top hat and disappeared. I couldn't find him again :lol It kind of felt out of place because I wasn't expecting it at all.

vocab said:
Kind of. My biggest problem with Darksiders is that I didn't feel the need to explore any where, while Zelda is all about exploring to find some crazy shit. Maybe I'm just getting older, or maybe because the world in Darksiders isn't all that interesting. The one time I did explore in Darksiders, I found this human guy dressed up like a Mime, and he starting swinging at me. I turned into chaos form, and he says 2vs1? that's unfair. And he jumped into a top hat and disappeared. I couldn't find him again :lol It kind of felt out of place because I wasn't expecting it at all.

... I need to find this guy.

Red

rpgb46 said:
I've just started this and while it is enjoyable I think it's a little too difficult to be classed as normal. Also the art direction leaves a lot to be desired.
Man, opinions. I thought the rest of the game had trouble living up to the art.

I like the cartoony style.
AceBandage said:
He crops up in a few places. Three or four, I think. He's just a stronger skeleton-zombie thing that wears a top hat and speaks with an English accent. You get a soul bonus for beating him. It's a fun little easter egg.

Volcynika

AceBandage said:

:lol

I found him too, but had no idea what he was for.

If you want to know where I found him:
Use the hookshot or whatever right outside the Twilight Cathedral.

vocab

Volcynika said:
:lol

I found him too, but had no idea what he was for.

If you want to know where I found him:
Use the hookshot or whatever right outside the Twilight Cathedral.

I found him in drowned pass in the one tunnel at the end of the lake.

The artstyle is pretty great.
I've been having fun finding good screens to put in the PC thread.

darksiderspc2011-01-09yher.png

Top Bottom