• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Schlomo

After playing through half the game on my PC, I finally found a cure for the game's permanent judder/choppiness. It's gone if I just leave Firefox open in the background! Smooth 60fps, at last! WTF, how random is that? I couldn't believe it, but I tried it several times with Firefox open and closed, and it really works. So if you're having similar problems, it might be worth to give it a shot.

Salaadin

Erasus said:
Just completed this on PC and I really like it. The graphics and artstyle really fit together, while not technically impressive it is a fine looking game. I love the style of it. The gameplay is great, and I actually like the combat though I really never used the secondary weps in combat. Though not as deep as DMC or Ninja Gaiden the game does not need to be really. The story is nice a epic!

This is exactly how I feel. The game does just what it needs to do to be fun. I thought it was very enjoyable.

My only complaint was that theres not
enough horseback stuff. It makes sense for the story but I wouldve liked it if Ruin was introduced earlier and they incorporated him into some puzzle solving stuff or added some regular enemies where he would be useful against.

chixdiggit

About half way through and really enjoying this game. I also can't believe how much better this game plays with a mouse and keyboard than a controller. Do other 3rd person action games control this well or is it an exception? I always assumed games like DMC and the such were better with a controller.

Salaadin

chixdiggit said:
About half way through and really enjoying this game. I also can't believe how much better this game plays with a mouse and keyboard than a controller. Do other 3rd person action games control this well or is it an exception? I always assumed games like DMC and the such were better with a controller.

I thought the exact opposite. I couldnt touch the game on keyboard. Things like doding and blocking were such a pain to do although I loved the faster aiming.

ArjanN

chixdiggit said:

It depends. DMC4 really needs the controller. But stuff like Ninja Blade, the Prince of Persia games works just as well with mouse and keyboard.

LQX

Just finished it. What a great fucking game. Sleeper hit for sure and I don't know how t didn't get more positive review buzz from sites like IGN, Gamepro, and Gamespot.

So true when some say its its like Zelda and Devil May Cry had a baby. As a huge Zelda fan I kind of agree.

I paid only $12 for it but it would have been so worth the $60 if I bought it on release day. The sequel will for sure be bought day one and what a great setup that ending was for it. Will be interesting to see how they implement the other horsemen.

Finished this game this past weekend. Liked it well enough to be there for the sequel. I'm not versed in puzzle heavy adventure gameplay, but somehow I got by. Although that last dungeon almost had me quit the game.

mbmonk

Darksiders would crash when I tried to load a save. I had to turn of my Anti Virus in order to get it to work properly. Other than that I am enjoying the game. Combat is clicking for me.

Hesemonni

Banned
...I'd really like to have a word with the designer who came up with the Black Throne...

I'm currently redirecting the third beam and eventhough I'm pretty sure I'm somewhat close to the end of this hell hole I'm tempted to just put down the controller and be done with it.

Does the game pick up the pace or is the whole end of the game like this?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
How is the pc version of this versus the console? I actually got it cheap for PS3 a while back but haven't started it yet, so I'm thinking of grabbing the Steam version during this weekend sale and taking advantage of my new PC.

Dascu

Hesemonni said:
...I'd really like to have a word with the designer who came up with the Black Throne...

I'm currently redirecting the third beam and eventhough I'm pretty sure I'm somewhat close to the end of this hell hole I'm tempted to just put down the controller and be done with it.

You're pretty much at the end of the game once you finish up the Black Throne.

theRizzle

Hesemonni said:

You are more or less done with that stuff, and also you are more or less done with the game. Once you finish the Black Throne, the rest of the game is just like it was before the Black Throne.

There isn't really a big, epic ending though.

agrajag

Banned
Gvaz said:
If I got to Tiamat, about how long do I have left in the game? I've spent about 6 hours so far...

Tiamat is the first boss, if I remember correctly... so you're probably about 30% done with the game

Gvaz

Banned
agrajag said:
Tiamat is the first boss, if I remember correctly... so you're probably about 30% done with the game

There were a few other bosses, but I'd say Tiamat is the Big Daddy so far.

HYDE

Banned
Just finished the game:
I liked all the borrowed elements from the game, such as the item that was like the portal one, the gun that was like the resistance 2 pistol with remote detonation, and the shadow of the colossus style boss fight. It was a great game at a cheaper price. Once I remembered to use Ruin during the final boss, finishing it was easier (forgot about the horse for some reason).

Hesemonni

Banned
Just watching the ending credits as I'm writing this.

Over all, I really liked the game. Yes, the story limped a bit and War's constipated VA was a bit awkward at times. Yes, the Black Throne was a big pain in the ass and almost a game breaker for me and overall I'd say pretty much every dungeon was a chore to go through in the end. With different design choices the game would've been fantastic. Too bad about the sequel not coming until 2013 :(

I'd do Apocalyptic difficulty if there was a NG+ option but that not being there I retire with my 705 Gp and call it a day.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hold Caps Lock + [number] for powers? Who in their right might would think that's a great idea? It's completely counter-intuitive.

DonMigs85

Hesemonni said:
Just watching the ending credits as I'm writing this.

Over all, I really liked the game. Yes, the story limped a bit and War's constipated VA was a bit awkward at times. Yes, the Black Throne was a big pain in the ass and almost a game breaker for me and overall I'd say pretty much every dungeon was a chore to go through in the end. With different design choices the game would've been fantastic. Too bad about the sequel not coming until 2013 :(

I'd do Apocalyptic difficulty if there was a NG+ option but that not being there I retire with my 705 Gp and call it a day.
You didn't collect the Abysal Armor set? You can at least play through with that on a new game.

Hesemonni

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
You didn't collect the Abysal Armor set? You can at least play through with that on a new game.
Yeah that carries over, but having weapon exp and bought upgrades carry over would've been nice touch since grinding them in one playthough is a pain thus giving extra incentive for the second one.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Doing my first playthrough right now, on Apocalyptic, and I'm having a great time with this game. Only thing that's really frustrating me is the one-time achievement Aerial Predator, which I totally missed out on. So maybe I'll try for a 100% run on Easy when I'm done.

Edit: Screw it, I'll just do another Apocalyptic run when I get my Razer Onza. Too fun.

This tremors like section where you have to run to platforms with out getting attacked by the sandworm is pretty fucking annoying. I'm really not a fan of 1 hit kills in games at all. I keep really wanting to like the game and then it throws a section like this at me, that frustrates me to all hell and makes me knock it down a peg. Figured out how to get past it with the timing of when the worm goes underground. It was just frustrating that ever time you died it had to play that same intro again, got really sick of not being able to skip that.

Ywap

How do i get this one?

xpyq9s.png

forrest

formerly nacire
Ywap said:
How do i get this one?

You need the hook shot to access the top platform of one of the drill platforms in the Ashlands. It removes the drill from the ground revealing a hole.

This thread made me start on my third or fourth playthrough. Im already at the Iron Canopy! Love this game! PC connected to 60 inch samsung with my wireless 360 controller!

Ywap

nacire said:
You need the hook shot to access the top platform of one of the drill platforms in the Ashlands. It removes the drill from the ground revealing a hole.

This thread made me start on my third or fourth playthrough. Im already at the Iron Canopy! Love this game! PC connected to 60 inch samsung with my wireless 360 controller!

Thank you very much sir! Awesome game indeed :)

Maybe i can bother with another one?

How do i get a fire bomb for this one:

rsg7de.jpg

Dascu

Ywap said:
Thank you very much sir! Awesome game indeed :)

Maybe i can bother with another one?

How do i get a fire bomb for this one:

http://i54.tinypic.com/rsg7de.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
You get an item later in the game for that one. Can't get into too much detail without spoiling anything.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
nacire said:
Looks gorgeous right? I feel like this is a great game to play on PC on a TV with a pad.

forrest

formerly nacire
Stallion Free said:
Looks gorgeous right? I feel like this is a great game to play on PC on a TV with a pad.

Yeah it really does! I know art is entirely subjective, but this game's artwork, world, characters, environments, etc. just shine for me. I really do wish we could get an AA option. I couldn't even get morphological to make much of a visible difference. But with the higher resolutions the lack of AA really isn't too terrible.

I absolutely love the tunnel that leads to the Griever's dungeon. The water, plants, rocks, tree roots and shafts of light just really make that little area incredible.

Also I probably should have spoiler tagged that hint in regards to the collectible in the Ashlands! My bad!

Vorg

Banned
still have to finish this but the world and characters remind me of the legacy of kain games. awesome game so far.

Is there a way to pick where the game installs to? I have steam on my secondary hard drive and it keeps trying to install to my primary which I don't want it to. I'm using the disks so it doesn't take 50 million hours to download.

Edit: Nvm, got it. Just had to do Run prompt to tell it where to install.

Vorg

Banned
I have to finish this but I can't seem to be able to figure out a way to
kill that annoying teleporting spider boss.
Is there an easy way? some kind of pattern I'm missing?

Mooreberg

Machado said:

2013 Supposedly.

I am very close to finishing this after playing a majority of it in January and then kind of playing it here and there. Where is
Azrael in the desert area? The map isn't particularly helpful. This is after getting the Armageddon Blade.

Alright, Tiamat is as far as i go. I have to pick up a sticky bomb, aim it at a moving target that is shooting fire at me, aim at a torch, and again aim at a moving target that is shooting fire at me. When you go into aiming mode you can't move or aim for shit. I can't believe they built a boss fight around such a broken mechanic.

Mooreberg said:
2013 Supposedly.

I am very close to finishing this after playing a majority of it in January and then kind of playing it here and there. Where is
Azrael in the desert area? The map isn't particularly helpful. This is after getting the Armageddon Blade.

It's very possible they'll speed this up now, as thq have to be thinking cafe may well force sony/ms to release new hw earlier then expected.

Ledsen

CaptainAhab said:
Alright, Tiamat is as far as i go. I have to pick up a sticky bomb, aim it at a moving target that is shooting fire at me, aim at a torch, and again aim at a moving target that is shooting fire at me. When you go into aiming mode you can't move or aim for shit. I can't believe they built a boss fight around such a broken mechanic.

I never had a problem with that boss and I played on the hardest difficulty... could you be doing something wrong? Can't you just lock on (can't really remember if it's possible or not) or throw at him when he's stationary? From what I remember, that first part was really easy.

edit: Yeah this is how I did it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2qCSZYG82M&t=1m

ArjanN

Ledsen said:
I never had a problem with that boss and I played on the hardest difficulty... could you be doing something wrong? Can't you just lock on (can't really remember if it's possible or not) or throw at him when he's stationary? From what I remember, that first part was really easy.

edit: Yeah this is how I did it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2qCSZYG82M&t=1m

If I remember correctly the boss pattern has a bit of a pause in it after he shoots at you 3 times, giving you a bit more time to stick the bomb on him.

Daigoro

CaptainAhab said:

have some patience. this battle aint that hard man.

i just did it last week. it took a few tries to figure out the pattern, but its easy enough after you get it down.

keep at it.

CaptainAhab said:

I'm going to say I found the Tiamat boss fight an absolute pain in the ass as well. Are you playing on a PS3? I have to wonder if it was partially the awful Sony analog sticks, or just dual analog aiming in general.

I have to say, I think the Boss fights are some of the worst parts of the game. I'm ready to fight the Spider boss and I just haven't gone back to the game yet to fight her. Mostly cause I know on some level its going to be frustrating and annoying. I haven't gotten the sense of "WOAH that was an awesome boss fight, it was hard and challenging but so much fun!" from any of them in this game so far. Hopefully soon I'll get back to it.

I'm not trying to say that I don't want a challenge or for the bosses to be hard, or anything like that. I just find in this game, the boss fights tend to be tied to a particular mechanic that isn't as thought out, or refined as it needs to be. The Tiamat boss fight is a prime example of this.

The game has some really awesome parts, its just typically not the boss fights. If you can push yourself to power through the Tiamat one, and continue with the game I think you'll be glad you did. I'm looking forward to seeing what these guys do with the sequel. While I may harp a lot on the boss fights, and some other just frustratingly annoying parts in the game, I actually do like it. I think its just really rough around the edges.

Daigoro said:
have some patience. this battle aint that hard man.

i just did it last week. it took a few tries to figure out the pattern, but its easy enough after you get it down.

keep at it.

I gave it another whirl and couldn't do it. The crossblade is godawful. It's horribly slow to aim it at multiple targets. The bombs sometimes just fall off of him for no discernable reason. I can always get past that part, but i'm low on health. I would power through if there was a checkpoint somewhere in the fight. I love hard games, but they have to be mechanically sound or it's just too frustrating.

Truant

Ragequit the PC version after I discovered there are literally NO GRAPHICS OPTIONS besides gamma and resolution.

Fuck this. I'm out.

sn00zer

Truant said:
Ragequit the PC version after I discovered there are literally NO GRAPHICS OPTIONS besides gamma and resolution.

Fuck this. I'm out.
That seems like a rational reason not to play a game

Truant said:

Fuck this. I'm out.
It looks great, runs great, and I haven't hit any bugs. It sucks if you are trying to turn things off to run it on an old pc, though.

Truant

You're probably being sarcastic, but it's the goddamn truth. I can't waste my time on this stuff. I need options. It's a PC game.

Truant said:
You're probably being sarcastic, but it's the goddamn truth. I can't waste my time on this stuff. I need options. It's a PC game.

Not being sarcastic. I thought it was going to be a shitty port when I saw that there weren't any options, but it runs at 60fps, looks decent because of the artstyle, and isn't buggy. The gameplay is kind of jacked, though.

Top Bottom