• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating-Age |OT3| Positivity, Confidence, and Not Being a "Nice" Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Passive aggressiveness isn't a good couple dynamics either ;)

Each couple has their own rules such as how old relationship pictures should be dealt with. Or how much time together each individual needs. Or their viewpoints of opposite gender friendships.

There is a big gray area in many issues and it doesn't mean a sign of insecurity or immaturity. This negotiation is the process in which folks find out if they share similar worldviews and values.

K, each couple has their own rules, you already said that. Saying it again doesn't make it any less insecure.

To me you either trust your partner or you don't and if I have pictures that doesn't mean I'm holding on to the past, and if I happen to be doing so, deleting the pictures isn't going to solve that problem. And in all honesty it sounds like a method of control not a valid relationship issue.
Sent you a PM. :)

If it matters, I was never going to ask her to delete the photos. I was puzzled why she kept photos of someone who did her so wrongly. I know that what she does or doesn't do with them is ultimately her business. I may have my insecurities, but I'm not an asshole.

We are also taking things slowly. We see each other two days a week at best, and I have school, work and friends on top of her. Having her on my mind at all times would be rather prohibitive in those aspects of my life, but I am happy whenever I think of her. People tell me I smile a lot more.

She's done nothing wrong. Unfortunately I'm projecting past issues onto her, and I know that it's my burden. I know that all that matters is now. I won't bring it up again. Besides, she's cuter when we're not talking about ex drama. :)

I wasn't gonna post here, but I can't help myself. My (first) girlfriend of six months just broke up with me last night. She said she was unsure about everything, her life, her school, and us. A week ago we were fine. She had her moments, where she'd rather I left her alone, which I did. I know her. We had a great time at the prom last week. On sunday she became sullen and depressed while we were at her family, and she didn't want to tell me what was up. I figured, OK, I'll give her some time. Let her know I was there for her.

She asked me to come to the birthday party of one of her friends. A lot of our mutual friends were there. She gave me a kiss when I came in, but then basically acted as though I wasn't there. Other people were starting to notice, too. At one point I just went outside, and after a while she followed... And we talked. She told me that. And then she said she didn't want to string me along, so she did what she thought was best. And I didn't see it coming.

I... I'm pretty much a wreck right now. I just need to vent. Somewhere, anywhere I can. Here.

Darklord

Banned
I was having a pretty shit night but just got a message from a girl saying she's like to chat, and she's cute too! That definitely brought my mood up a bit. Are there any do's or don't's with online dating messaging/chat? Or just normal?

You have enemies?

I've seen some 45% enemies show up. I guess they are a massive prude or very religious. After remaking my profile I didn't answer as many questions, seems to have balanced out more now.

SeanR1221

I wasn't gonna post here, but I can't help myself. My (first) girlfriend of six months just broke up with me last night. She said she was unsure about everything, her life, her school, and us. A week ago we were fine. She had her moments, where she'd rather I left her alone, which I did. I know her. We had a great time at the prom last week. On sunday she became sullen and depressed while we were at her family, and she didn't want to tell me what was up. I figured, OK, I'll give her some time. Let her know I was there for her.

She asked me to come to the birthday party of one of her friends. A lot of our mutual friends were there. She gave me a kiss when I came in, but then basically acted as though I wasn't there. Other people were starting to notice, too. At one point I just went outside, and after a while she followed... And we talked. She told me that. And then she said she didn't want to string me along, so she did what she thought was best. And I didn't see it coming.

I... I'm pretty much a wreck right now. I just need to vent. Somewhere, anywhere I can. Here.

A similar thing happened to me in high school, and it turned out the girl was cheating on me.

Sorry to hear that dude. Seems like she's been having some doubts for a while. Probably for the best, it'd be worse if she had these feelings and just repressed them and allowed them to fester. It'll hurt for a while, but you'll be fine.

I was having a pretty shit night but just got a message from a girl saying she's like to chat, and she's cute too! That definitely brought my mood up a bit. Are there any do's or don't's with online dating messaging/chat? Or just normal?

I've seen some 45% enemies show up. I guess they are a massive prude or very religious. After remaking my profile I didn't answer as many questions, seems to have balanced out more now.

I'm just trying to wrap what exactly 45% enemies means. I have no idea what you are talking about.

K, each couple has their own rules, you already said that. Saying it again doesn't make it any less insecure.

What he's trying to say is that there's no objective rule of what's insecure to someone in an relationship & what's not. Too you it may be insecure, which is your opinion but that's all it is, an opinion.

I may not be comfortable with swinging while in a committed relationship, and to a couple who is, it may look like i'm insecure. But couple dynamics are different.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

It happens. Nothing we are going to say is going to have toooo big of an impact on you right now, but hopefully you remember some advice when you actually are in a place where you can absorb it.

Don't talk to her or see her if you can avoid it - not because she's a bitch, or whatever, but because it will make the whole process take longer, it will drag out and it will hurt more. You need to spend as much time away from her as possible right now, spend your time grieving.

And at your first opportunity, do something. Anything. Hang out with friends, spend some time playing video games (socializing is probably the best thing to do at this point though) - try to keep your mind off of those thoughts that really don't do anyone any good.

And as soon as you think you're ready (no one is really going to know when this is other than you, could be a week from now, or months) - start thinking about other girls. I know some people are against this as being part of the healing process, but I couldn't disagree more with those people. When the time comes you need to remind yourself in the simplest ways that

A) You're single now, and there are benefits that come with that
B) You're going to meet a lot of new girls, this ex is your first, but she will not be your last
C) For all I know, you're the type of person that will move on easier/better after you have... relations with someone else

All in all, we feel for you - a lot of us have been there. But don't let it keep you down too long, as soon as you can, start thinking positive, start thinking about the good you can make out of this situation, and eventually, start thinking about girls.

It happens. Nothing we are going to say is going to have toooo big of an impact on you right now, but hopefully you remember some advice when you actually are in a place where you can absorb it.

Don't talk to her or see her if you can avoid it - not because she's a bitch, or whatever, but because it will make the whole process take longer, it will drag out and it will hurt more. You need to spend as much time away from her as possible right now, spend your time grieving.

And at your first opportunity, do something. Anything. Hang out with friends, spend some time playing video games (socializing is probably the best thing to do at this point though) - try to keep your mind off of those thoughts that really don't do anyone any good.

And as soon as you think you're ready (no one is really going to know when this is other than you, could be a week from now, or months) - start thinking about other girls. I know some people are against this as being part of the healing process, but I couldn't disagree more with those people. When the time comes you need to remind yourself in the simplest ways that

A) You're single now, and there are benefits that come with that
B) You're going to meet a lot of new girls, this ex is your first, but she will not be your last
C) For all I know, you're the type of person that will move on easier/better after you have... relations with someone else

All in all, we feel for you - a lot of us have been there. But don't let it keep you down too long, as soon as you can, start thinking positive, start thinking about the good you can make out of this situation, and eventually, start thinking about girls.

This is the most important. I am still struggling to have some socialization with all my friends at different colleges, and the friends I got through my ex being off limits for now. Really sucks.

This Spring Break has been especially bad since I thought I would do something with some friends but no one has invited me to anything yet, and barely anyone returns my texts. Have a feeling like I am wasting what are supposed to be the best time of my life in my home and on my computer...

I know it only gets better from here with the summer and nice weather coming, and I am dorming next semester. Just incredibly boring for now.

This is the most important. I am still struggling to have some socialization with all my friends at different colleges, and the friends I got through my ex being off limits for now. Really sucks.

This Spring Break has been especially bad since I thought I would do something with some friends but no one has invited me to anything yet, and barely anyone returns my texts. Have a feeling like I am wasting what are supposed to be the best time of my life in my home and on my computer...

I know it only gets better from here with the summer and nice weather coming, and I am dorming next semester. Just incredibly boring for now.

I know that feel. Just keep putting yourself out there. When my ex broke up with me, I contacted old high school friends and hungout with them. If someone asks you do to something with them, do it. Even if you don't want to. It'll get better in time.

I know that feel. Just keep putting yourself out there. When my ex broke up with me, I contacted old high school friends and hungout with them. If someone asks you do to something with them, do it. Even if you don't want to. It'll get better in time.

Yeah people were around last week on break and called me a couple of times to hang out but I was either working or working early the next morning. Like I said it will get better.

Not doing anything for St. Patricks day is kind of depressing though. No one replied to my texts :(

Minamu

Yeah people were around last week on break and called me a couple of times to hang out but I was either working or working early the next morning. Like I said it will get better.

Not doing anything for St. Patricks day is kind of depressing though. No one replied to my texts :(
Apart from one night out last week I think, I haven't been out properly in almost a month now. On St. Patrick's, I've been studying Swedish and EU copyright laws instead. So don't complain :D

Apart from one night out last week I think, I haven't been out properly in almost a month now. On St. Patrick's, I've been studying Swedish and EU copyright laws instead. So don't complain :D

Hey I'm studying too :)
I feel like I just need one big event and I will be satisfied until summer.

Xun

You're in college man, be glad about that. You've got plenty of time.

I'm currently unemployed and which doesn't help my situation at all to be honest.

I also feel there's a hole in me missing that'll never be filled because I barely went out during college.

I wanted to, but a combination of things stopped that from happening.

equap

Banned
help me.

so there's this girl and she works at a Banana Republic in the mall. i ran into her in the changing room and then again during checkout, she wasn't my cashier though. we exchanged looks a few times during check out and i left.

i actually want to go back to return a shirt i bought today. I want to know how to approach her and strike up a conversation and ultimately get her number.

in my mind i'm keep thinking "dont be creepy, don't be creepy" and it kinda holding me back. she seems pretty friendly but i guess it's her job.

SHOW ME GAF!!

help me.

so there's this girl and she works at a Banana Republic in the mall. i ran into her in the changing room and then again during checkout, she wasn't my cashier though. we exchanged looks a few times during check out and i left.

i actually want to go back to return a shirt i bought today. I want to know how to approach her and strike up a conversation and ultimately get her number.

in my mind i'm keep thinking "dont be creepy, don't be creepy" and it kinda holding me back. she seems pretty friendly but i guess it's her job.

SHOW ME GAF!!

"Hi. My name's equap."

Start with that. As for where to go next... I guess you could say an absurd statement to get her to go 'Wha' before apologizing and saying you wanted to make her laugh, but you got nervous. Or straight out ask if she'd like to go have coffee with you or something.

Alternatively, here's an idea: Walk up to her and hand her your cellphone. Tell her the call's for her. Be really mysterious. On the other end of the line is me. I'll Cyrano that shit for you, no worries.

mcrae

"Hi. My name's equap."

Start with that. As for where to go next... I guess you could say an absurd statement to get her to go 'Wha' before apologizing and saying you wanted to make her laugh, but you got nervous. Or straight out ask if she'd like to go have coffee with you or something.

Alternatively, here's an idea: Walk up to her and hand her your cellphone. Tell her the call's for her. Be really mysterious. On the other end of the line is me. I'll Cyrano that shit for you, no worries.

lol i like option 3

another way is to just be completely forthright: hey! listen, im sure you get this all the time but i remember you from the last time i was here and think it would be an absolute shame if i left the store twice without having asked for your number'

on another note,

anyone have any good links or thoughts on the saying 'thrill of the chase' ? does the whole concept just stem from innate immaturity, or what? i'm sure everyone has experienced it on both sides to varying degrees.. not being interested in someone because they've been incessantly texting you or becoming more curious and intrigued about someone cause they are flippant and haphazard about how fast and when they respond to your texts... up to not being interested in someone after having sex with them. normally im really opinionated about... everything... but im not sure what i think about the whole psychology behind that term and am interested in everyone's opinion as to why it even exists

mcrae

working early the next morning? stop being a mr excuse maker, go out till midnight and just have a nap after work the next day. thats the kind of thing that makes people slowly forget to invite you places cause you never respond ya know

You're in college man, be glad about that. You've got plenty of time.

I'm currently unemployed and which doesn't help my situation at all to be honest.

I also feel there's a hole in me missing that'll never be filled because I barely went out during college.

I wanted to, but a combination of things stopped that from happening.

My original plan was to commute every year and be a perfect little student and come out with barely any debt and not "regretting" any decisions. It's amazing how your views and plans change after a something small like a breakup.

I met some people through work that did just as I originally planned and all of them were depressed, bored, and basically friendless. I started to see that I was basically like my parents. I acted way too old for too long in my life. I want to make mistakes and dumb decisions. If I don't do it now, then I will make dumb mistakes an decisions when everyone else my age is grown up.

I have come to the conclusion that I am not ready for a relationship. Working on a lot of things right now like identity, and strength/body. Man I can't wait until the day I am ready though....

working early the next morning? stop being a mr excuse maker, go out till midnight and just have a nap after work the next day. thats the kind of thing that makes people slowly forget to invite you places cause you never respond ya know

I am really good with not caring about sleep or time. 10 hour shifts blow when not hungover though... I see your point though, I always made excuses when people invited me throughout high school and now it is catching up to me.

mcrae

My original plan was to commute every year and be a perfect little student and come out with barely any debt and not "regretting" any decisions. It's amazing how your views and plans change after a something small like a breakup.

I met some people through work that did just as I originally planned and all of them were depressed, bored, and basically friendless. I started to see that I was basically like my parents. I acted way too old for too long in my life. I want to make mistakes and dumb decisions. If I don't do it now, then I will make dumb mistakes an decisions when everyone else my age is grown up.

I have come to the conclusion that I am not ready for a relationship. Working on a lot of things right now like identity, and strength/body. Man I can't wait until the day I am ready though....

I am really good with not caring about sleep or time. 10 hour shifts blow when not hungover though... I see your point though, I always made excuses when people invited me throughout high school and now it is catching up to me.

i assume you meant to say that they blow when hungover, and true, but thats why i said just go out till 12, not 3 am. just to hang out and maintain the friendship.

maybe you should consider moving into a student house. might be an extra 7k/year but i know hundreds of kids who gladly pay that price for the social freedoms

i assume you meant to say that they blow when hungover, and true, but thats why i said just go out till 12, not 3 am. just to hang out and maintain the friendship.

maybe you should consider moving into a student house. might be an extra 7k/year but i know hundreds of kids who gladly pay that price for the social freedoms

Im dorming next year. I said fuck it with the money. I am too young to worry about it and if society collapses in the next 5 years it wont matter if I am 5000 in debt or 10000 in debt.

And no I meant when not hungover :p I have never experienced a hungover yet but I have heard terrible things about them. And I didn't even see the calls until the next morning. Those were just my excuses to myself so I didn't feel like I should have looked at my phone before I fell asleep.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
lol i like option 3

another way is to just be completely forthright: hey! listen, im sure you get this all the time but i remember you from the last time i was here and think it would be an absolute shame if i left the store twice without having asked for your number'

It's a bad idea to ask for a number without establishing a connection/rapport first.

mcrae

It's a bad idea to ask for a number without establishing a connection/rapport first.

exchanging a bunch of glances would be enough of a connection for me to act on, assuming shes busy behind a cash register. if shes working cash you dont have time for a conversation anyways. i'm assuming she'll remember him as the guy she thought was cute from last week but didnt talk to.

if she doesnt, then yeah it could be weird. and if she isnt working cash, might as well try and chat her up by asking opinions on -whatever- article of clothing.

its a bad idea to ask for a number without establishing a rapport, its a worse idea to not ask for a number at all, learn from your mistakes and all that jazz

Xun

Same as me.

When I started college back in 2008 my outlook for things was completely different, and despite making a few friends at college I really do wish I went elsewhere to justify living in a dorm. The final year of college I especially wish I went elsewhere, since the place went further downhill when it moved a bit further away.

I felt trapped living at home, and still do. But I've just got to ensure I move out as soon as possible, and live the life I missed when I was at college. I want to go to parties, go out in evenings, meet new people, but I fear having a full-time job will ruin all of this from happening. Unless it is possible? I currently feel like my life from 16-21 is completely missing, and needs to be filled.

I'm going to try and go to some meetups (meetup.com), life drawing classes, and maybe even dance classes as suggested by people.

I just feel presently there's a hole inside of me that'll never be filled and it does admittedly get me down quite a bit. I'm also not at all looking for some serious, especially when I've yet to have a girlfriend.

Same as me.

When I started college back in 2008 my outlook for things was completely different, and despite making a few friends at college I really do wish I went elsewhere to justify living in a dorm. The final year of college I especially wish I went elsewhere, since the place went further downhill when it moved a bit further away.

I felt trapped living at home, and still do. But I've just got to ensure I move out as soon as possible, and live the life I missed when I was at college. I want to go to parties, go out in evenings, meet new people, but I fear having a full-time job will ruin all of this from happening. Unless it is possible? I currently feel like my life from 16-21 is completely missing, and needs to be filled.

I'm going to try and go to some meetups (meetup.com), life drawing classes, and maybe even dance classes as suggested by people.

I just feel presently there's a hole inside of me that'll never be filled and it does admittedly get me down quite a bit. I'm also not at all looking for some serious, especially when I've yet to have a girlfriend.

I can see why there would be a hole. I am glad I saw this sooner rather than later.
You are still young though correct? And it seems like you are making all the right choices to meet your goal. You will get there.

jvalioli

Hey gaf. On friday I met these 2 girls at a bar. 1 of them is unattractive and seemed like she was super into me but the other is pretty cute but shy and I couldnt read her. She was laughing at my jokes and making her own though. I danced with both of them but the place was closing so we exchanged numbers. Next day I texted the cute one asking if they wanted to join my group at the sa,e bar again, but she replied that she was at home (spring break started this weekend). Meeting her the day before spring break was pretty bad timing, but do you guys think the timing completely killed it? Would it be weird to text her again when school is in session in a week?

Mr.City

So, I just had a girl who contacted me on OKC saying she viewed me from afar during her freshman year of college and always had a crush on me. This should be interesting.

So what is everyone's opinion on leaving a voicemail? I called her last night and she didn't answer, but i didn't leave a message. Did i mess up? I want to speak to her and I feel like leaving a message makes it easier to reject me. But I can see how it can be rude to call and not leave message.

Should i leave a girl a message every time i call her, as a rule? I plan on calling her again tonight.

I personally don't leave voicemails unless I call my boss/company/mechanic etc. Let the person see the missed call and call you back.

Hylian7

She has similar interests to mine, although the parts about the sex swing and S/M fetish could be troubling.

Not exactly something I would call troubling. More people probably have fetishes like that than are willing to admit it.

On that note, I had a girl contact me on OKC yesterday, all it said was "Hey, what's up?" She kind of looked to be a "meh"/10. Looked at her profile though, and saw "Christian and very serious about it". I get the feeling she didn't read my profile at all. Then she used the "local" thing on the OKC phone app to try to meet me at Hastings....I obviously did not go.

On the reverse side though, I got a response back from a girl I messaged on OKC, in the process of setting up a date. Hopefully this turns out well.

So what is everyone's opinion on leaving a voicemail? I called her last night and she didn't answer, but i didn't leave a message. Did i mess up? I want to speak to her and I feel like leaving a message makes it easier to reject me. But I can see how it can be rude to call and not leave message.

Should i leave a girl a message every time i call her, as a rule? I plan on calling her again tonight.

She'll call you back after seeing the caller ID. Probably.

Hylian7

I personally don't leave voicemails unless I call my boss/company/mechanic etc. Let the person see the missed call and call you back.

I pretty much do something like this. Although it's still a giant grey area. With friends, usually I don't because they will probably just text me or something. I would say with meeting a new girl like that, go ahead and leave one. After all, (assuming you don't sound desperate or crazy) I seriously doubt a voicemail is going to ruin your chances, so what can it hurt?

hipgnosis

Got three dates planned with different girls. Two of them I met at a bar this weekend and one is from school. This shit is getting hard to organize. Not gonna lead any of them if one turns out to be great, just wanna increase my chances in finding a great gf.

low-G

Got three dates planned with different girls. Two of them I met at a bar this weekend and one is from school. This shit is getting hard to organize. Not gonna lead any of them if one turns out to be great, just wanna increase my chances in finding a great gf.

Yeah really, it's dating. Yet, I'm having extreme difficulties organizing my stuff at this point... On the edge. But it is nice having multiple girls that want to see you during the same period of time.

Hylian7

Update: She's can't do dinner until next week, but she would like to meet me on campus during the day one day. So lunch is probably happening this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom