• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating-Age |OT3| Positivity, Confidence, and Not Being a "Nice" Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Honestly, I would just say to not put SO much effort into it. Look at it as simply something to do. Don't put more effort into if things don't work out you will beat yourself up for. Realize that these women aren't going to put effort into it simply because they're most likely being bombarded on these sites from men in general. Until they get to know you, you're just one of the many. If they're not going to put so much effort, why are you?

Obviously when you meet someone and actually begin a relationship then you can put effort but don't go wasting your time, energy, and focus on a person that you most likely will never speak to again.

That's my problem I set high expectations, and have to realize that I'm not the only person out there trying to win over a woman's heart. Also most women don't put a lot of effort they usually send out short text messages, or refuse to talk on the phone. It took 4 times but I'm learning.

Don't sweat it man. You say you put effort in but do you see the female putting effort in as well? Don't make it seem like your desperate to hang out/see the female at first.

Yea I probably should be more relaxed. But I've never seen myself as a clingy type though.

Do you want to run through what happened in those 5 minutes? If you get to an actual date, they're at least interested, and going through what happened might help to ensure you keep their interest running next time :)

And for online dating, 4 rejections in 1.5 years isn't too bad!
Basically we met up at a store parking lot. Asked her if anything was wrong because she told me she was running late. This store had 30 min parking rules so I wanted to play it safe and not get towed, so we agreed to go down the block to park. Once we went in our cars I get these 2 bullshit text about her mother and thats about it.

a. she might not have seen you
b. even if she did see you, how do you know she knew you were looking for her?
c. even if she did know you were looking for her, maybe she found it cute or flattering and not creepy

you don't really have any information right now to be worried about that, and it isn't really worth worrying about it because you haven't done anything wrong.

Fair enough, I guess it's up to fate to decide whether or not we run into each other again.

MTE

Hi guys.
I haven't been following this thread for a few weeks now, but I just wanted to post a big thankyou to everyone that's giving out advice here. I met a girl through match.com about 6 weeks ago. We went out a few times, and even got to third base. She put a hold on it though, as she was having some emotional problems. I put her on the back burner and 4 weeks later, we're texting up a storm and hitting home runs.
She's really into me, and I her. It's such a great feeling.
Guys, my first ever date was when I was 25. I'm now only 26. It's not like I necessarily believe this is going to last for ever, but this is the first time I've had any relationship like this. It'll happen, if you focus on yourself, as I have been. Believe you're worth it.

She sounds like a great person who still loves you despite all your flaws. It wouldn't surprise me if she pretended to find someone else to make you clean up. Never let her go.

Women, man. When we say they can't change guys, that's if they go in with that mentality. But seeing if we see that we're hurting them, and we love them... basically, we'd do pretty much fucking anything for 'em.

I'm meeting up with my ex this Thursday which will be a month since we broke it off. I still really care about her and I'm hoping we get back together but I not sure how I'm suppose to act when we meet up. I'm not going to be begging her to come back. I have to leave some kind of impression with her.

Can I get some advice please?

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Hi guys.
I haven't been following this thread for a few weeks now, but I just wanted to post a big thankyou to everyone that's giving out advice here. I met a girl through match.com about 6 weeks ago. We went out a few times, and even got to third base. She put a hold on it though, as she was having some emotional problems. I put her on the back burner and 4 weeks later, we're texting up a storm and hitting home runs.
Guys, my first ever date was when I was 25. I'm now only 26. It's not like I necessarily believe this is going to last for ever, but this is the first time I've had any relationship like this. It'll happen, if you focus on yourself, as I have been. Believe you're worth it.

Good stuff! Bolded=Truth

Hi guys.

Congrats man!! Just have fun.

Digishine

Banned
Hi guys.

Congrats man :) have fun ;b

Is it a mistake to offer your number within the first day of talking to someone online? I usually put it out there after a few back and forths to make sure the other person isnt completely insane.

I'm meeting up with my ex this Thursday which will be a month since we broke it off. I still really care about her and I'm hoping we get back together but I not sure how I'm suppose to act when we meet up. I'm not going to be begging her to come back. I have to leave some kind of impression with her.

Can I get some advice please?

People will probably say it's a bad idea. And they aren't wrong. But if you're going to go through with this, just be yourself. Remember the dates you had, and how you were. Don't forget to be you, because you are likable. Or hell, the new you, with lessons learned from the break up. As you said, you can't beg her to come back, but you can show off you. Don't look too much like you're begging for her back.

Simply:
Best advice is to be calm, and be you. The current you.

Hylian7

Something weird happened:

I ran into an acquaintance from another class on the way out of the library (he's gay), and after conversing a bit we decided to go back inside to work on our papers. As luck would have it, he happened to be sitting with the girl in question. We didn't get a chance to talk, really (it's a library after all), but I suppose a connection has been established.

The only thing I'm worried about is the high possibility of her having seen me pass through the reading room looking for her...

How would she know you're looking for her? You're in a library. If she asks, you were looking for a book. Bam. Done.

How would she know you're looking for her? You're in a library. If she asks, you were looking for a book. Bam. Done.

Well the thing about Berkeley's library is that we have two gigantic reading rooms without books, and I was scanning one of those--I feel like it'd be pretty obvious as to what I was doing if I just walked from one exit to the other. I guess I shouldn't worry about it because if she was turned off by the fact that I looked for her then I probably never had a shot anyway.

People will probably say it's a bad idea. And they aren't wrong. But if you're going to go through with this, just be yourself. Remember the dates you had, and how you were. Don't forget to be you, because you are likable. Or hell, the new you, with lessons learned from the break up. As you said, you can't beg her to come back, but you can show off you. Don't look too much like you're begging for her back.

Simply:
Best advice is to be calm, and be you. The current you.

Thanks. I'll probably post a follow up after the meet up.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Hi guys.

Congrats baby Jebus! Keep at it.

Hylian7

....I may have just done a bad thing. I'm not sure.

Weeks ago, I was going to meet this girl on OKC (not the one I'm currently seeing). She said something "unexpectedly happened" and she is seeing someone, and didn't feel comfortable seeing more than one person at a time. I got her phone number before this. She just messaged me on OKC today and asked me if I have any instant messengers. I told her I have AIM and Skype, and could get anything else.

She gave me her AIM and Skype names. Seeing how I'm currently seeing a girl, I kind of feel bad about this, because I don't know what the girl I'm actually seeing would think, and even if I just talk to her as a friend, I don't want to lead this girl on.

So the way I see it, my options from here are:

1. Say nothing in response.
2. Respond with my IM names, talk to her, but don't say anything about the other girl, potentially leading her on.
3. Respond with my IM names, but make it clear that I'm seeing someone but would still like to be friends.

I think I done goofed, didn't I?

Edit: Forgot to mention the girl in question here changed her OKC status back from "seeing someone" to "single". Obviously the other guy fell through.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
....I may have just done a bad thing. I'm not sure.

Weeks ago, I was going to meet this girl on OKC (not the one I'm currently seeing). She said something "unexpectedly happened" and she is seeing someone, and didn't feel comfortable seeing more than one person at a time. I got her phone number before this. She just messaged me on OKC today and asked me if I have any instant messengers. I told her I have AIM and Skype, and could get anything else.

She gave me her AIM and Skype names. Seeing how I'm currently seeing a girl, I kind of feel bad about this, because I don't know what the girl I'm actually seeing would think, and even if I just talk to her as a friend, I don't want to lead this girl on.

So the way I see it, my options from here are:

1. Say nothing in response.
2. Respond with my IM names, talk to her, but don't say anything about the other girl, potentially leading her on.
3. Respond with my IM names, but make it clear that I'm seeing someone but would still like to be friends.

I think I done goofed, didn't I?

Edit: Forgot to mention the girl in question here changed her OKC status back from "seeing someone" to "single". Obviously the other guy fell through.

You ain't dun goofed yet. 1 or 3. Don't lead her on in any way if you feel guilty about it.

DominoKid

I'd like a second opinion on this...

Been after this one girl from my class for a date a few weeks now. Sweet girl and she seems genuinely interested. But she's one of those super-involved types so she's always busy.* Haven't really talked to her ~2 weeks outside of class cause I figured I'd let the situation cool off and see what's up in a bit. Thinking about hitting her up tomorrow to see where she's at.

Worth it to try again?

*I try to be understanding about these things w/ people in general because its not fair to expect everyone to have as much free time as I do, or that they're as willing to ditch a commitment to do something.

Hylian7

I didn't realize there were two steps to changing from "single" to "seeing someone" on OKCupid. She told me that's fine, she wasn't looking for anything serious and just wanted to chat.

For future reference: To change, you have to uncheck anything that's related to dating in the "I'm looking for" section on your profile. I know, a clusterfuck.

I'd like a second opinion on this...

Been after this one girl from my class for a date a few weeks now. Sweet girl and she seems genuinely interested. But she's one of those super-involved types so she's always busy.* Haven't really talked to her ~2 weeks outside of class cause I figured I'd let the situation cool off and see what's up in a bit. Thinking about hitting her up tomorrow to see where she's at.

Worth it to try again?

*I try to be understanding about these things w/ people in general because its not fair to expect everyone to have as much free time as I do, or that they're as willing to ditch a commitment to do something.

Let it go, she'd make time if she was really interested.

(if that sounded harsh I apologize)

edit: your post implies you've tried asking her out before, yes?

Hylian7

ive been away from this thread forever, did you and the girl you're seeing agree that you would see only each other? is she your girlfriend?

Not yet, but regardless I feel awkward myself seeing more than one woman at a time. I know, I know, I'll get a lot of flak for that.

To sum it up though, I have a date with this girl on Thursday that will consist of watching movies at my place. The best part? Staying in was her idea.

mcrae

Not yet, but regardless I feel awkward myself seeing more than one woman at a time. I know, I know, I'll get a lot of flak for that.

To sum it up though, I have a date with this girl on Thursday that will consist of watching movies at my place. The best part? Staying in was her idea.

yeah i just read your replies while you replied to my post, lol. i think that in general you invest yourself into a girl far too much, far too early, and take things too seriously.

the reason you'll get flak for that is twofold, one that you shouldnt put all your eggs into one basket just because if you diversify you'll expand your social skills/dating skills much faster, and in general have more fun more often, and have a better chance of meeting girls you click with.

the other is that you act completely different when you feel like you have no other options. this is huger than you may think

DominoKid

Let it go, she'd make time if she was really interested.

(if that sounded harsh I apologize)

edit: your post implies you've tried asking her out before, yes?

I've asked her out three times before over the course of...a month or so?
Usually something like "We should do/go _____ on _____"
I actually had her on the hook once but it was during midterm week but she's a stresser about school (I'm sooooooo not lol. Fuck a midterm) so I could understand that.
2nd time I asked her out she already had plans to visit her girls at another school that weekend.
3rd time I asked her out she gave me some answer I thought was complete bullshit but a mutual friend of ours cosigned it because she had the same commitment.

So...?

I've asked her out three times before over the course of...a month or so?
Usually something like "We should do/go _____ on _____"
I actually had her on the hook once but it was during midterm week but she's a stresser about school (I'm sooooooo not lol. Fuck a midterm) so I could understand that.
2nd time I asked her out she already had plans to visit her girls at another school that weekend.
3rd time I asked her out she gave me some answer I thought was complete bullshit but a mutual friend of ours cosigned it because she had the same commitment.

So...?

After three times, if you ask again (and you should probably wait a bit or you'll seem clingy) you should just ask her to tell you something to do together. Or nothing, she knows you are interested. Depends on how you think she is.

DominoKid

After three times, if you ask again (and you should probably wait a bit or you'll seem clingy) you should just ask her to tell you something to do together. Or nothing, she knows you are interested. Depends on how you think she is.

Yeah thats why i mentioned earlier that i chilled on her for 2 weeks.
Thinking I'll give her one more shot and be on with it if she's not down.

CAW

Thanks to the people who replied a bunch of pages back to my posts. Sorry I didn't respond.

How can I be less serious in an early relationship? Ex: I've been talking to this girl for awhile and we've always been flirtful and playful when talking on the phone or chatting. We kinda got close and then I stopped talking to her because she got back with her ex. About three months pass and she starts texting me again. Apparently she's on the outs with her ex and this time she broke up with him.

So we pickup where we left off last time and then go even farther this time by hanging out more and then she spends the night and we have sex a bunch of times (same night). She leaves the next morning to go home and kisses me goodbye. I feel great!

I should have just taken it for what it was, rebound sex, or us just having fun but I always have to overanalyze shit and try to get serious. Anyway, so we continue to chat for the next couple days but then I noticed like she's not talking as much and she doesn't want to hangout. So I just jump in and assume something is wrong and I ask her what's up and she tells me she's starting to miss her ex. She said she wants to be with me but she's just not ready yet as she needs to get over this guy because she's in love with him. She said she doesn't want to be with me until she's 100% which I understand.

She's pretty honest too and I believe her. But I continue to press and now I think about her all the time and....ugh. I pretty got a bit angry with her last night and said some stupid shit that I feel like she's just dumping me off and whatnot. Then I realized how foolish I was acting and apologized.

Anyway, my main question is: how do I not be like this?? How can I play it cool? I seem to have some kind of chemical imbalance where I think I'm in love and then when I'm not talking to her I feel depressed. The only cure is to not talk to her and just let time go by until I just don't care anymore which is easier said then done.

I've always been like this too and it's meant a shitty love life for me. I'm 32 now and I've had some bad past relationships because of this. I need help or something. Why do feelings like this just rush in? And why can't I control them? They seem to just flood my mind and I know this must be a chemical imbalance because there's no way this is natural.

I did a bit of research and picked up some 5-HTP, which is over the counter 'mood control' apparently.

I don't want to be "that guy" and even though I've prob already done enough damage with this girl I still feel there's a chance with her IF I can just be cool and give her her space. And even if not with her, I'd like to get back into dating in general and not go through the same issues.

I just had a female that I have been dating for a 3 weeks tell me that she is going to dinner with another guy just like I was one of her girlfriends. I guess people really do date more than one person at a time. I guess I'm just old school

I just had a female that I have been dating for a 3 weeks tell me that she is going to dinner with another guy just like I was one of her girlfriends. I guess people really do date more than one person at a time. I guess I'm just old school
Maybe you shouldnt refer to women as 'females'. Female is a term which is used to describe a gender, not a person. You are basically reducing the woman you were dating to nothing more than her genitals.

So I figured I'd give you guys an update, but I also need help with this current relationship I'm in. I've been dating this same girl since early February, we're not serious and it will most likely still only go on until late May when she leaves the area. There is a possibility she might stay and if that happens I'm torn between two things. Which requires some explanation, so here goes.

At the start of the relationship we were very intimate, we weren't having sex all the time, but there was stuff from making out, to a beej, to an old-fashioned. It was great. Well, she has gotten an internship and a job here so she has very little time off. We were still doing stuff then, but it had gone down from where we were at the start. Fast-forward over the last few weeks and stuff has gone REALLY cold, like no real intimacy whatsoever. We haven't had sex in over a month. Again I'm not looking to bang every chance we get, but at least some making out would be nice. She has ended every time we've gone out with a kiss goodnight and she has done some unexpected stuff that shows me she still digs me. There is chemistry there when we hang out, but it doesn't always feel like a sexual chemistry. But, last night was a bit weird and maybe I fucked it. I'm just looking for some insight.

So there are two bars next to each other that play good music and at one last night was a band we had both enjoyed. We had no plans to meet up or anything as she had work and a tutoring session. I figured I would roll down there see what the scene was like, and MAYBE she would be there. So I go and she is there having a good time. Just dancing like she enjoys, not with guys even, just having a good time. She even said "I figured I might see you here." when I showed up. But, it felt like she was avoiding me most of the night. Maybe she was just wanting to dance by herself, and maybe I didn't read it right, but aren't you supposed to on some songs dance with the guy you're dating? Sure I might not know how to swing dance like she does, but I can dance a little and not look like a fool if it is the right song.

So to sum up last night I decided to bounce early and I left her there. But here is the key thing about what got me truly thinking about this, there was no kiss goodbye. Just a smile and her saying "Alright, bye".

Now I realize that a couple things could be happening. She might just be tired most of the time from work and her internship so she doesn't have the energy to be intimate. The fact that she is leaving in May might be cause her to put space between us so the departure doesn't hit as hard as it would if we were any deeper than we already are. But, from the lack of intimacy that has developed over the last month, to her criticism of things I enjoy (I can't even talk to her about certain film or television genres because I know I would be wasting breath.), to the fact she may very well be leaving in May I'm thinking about killing this thing now.

Good friends say they see a real connection between us and we seem like a fantastic match. So here is the question GAF. Do I kill this now, or do I try and reignite some intimacy in a final "hail-mary". I of course am going to talk to her first about it and just see what her feelings are. But, should I be prepared for the worst?

TL; DR: Lack of intimacy over the last month and major cooling off has caused me to question current relationship. Do I kill it now, or do I try and reignite some passion?

Christ, this entire post makes me feel like I'm 45 and asking for marriage advice.

Hylian7

So I confirmed with the girl for my place tomorrow. She asked if she could bring her books because she's going to try to get some studying done during all the movie-watching. I'm sure some would see this as a bad sign, but keep this in mind:

1. She's in the Honors College, and is still wanting the distraction while she studies.
2. I originally had an idea of dinner and a movie (as in theatre), but she still wanted to see me, despite having to study.

Of course I plan on distracting her from studying. On top of that, I was going to have a test on Friday (so studying Thursday night) and it got postponed. It's like the stars have aligned or something.

Cubsfan23

Banned
So I figured I'd give you guys an update, but I also need help with this current relationship I'm in. I've been dating this same girl since early February, we're not serious and it will most likely still only go on until late May when she leaves the area. There is a possibility she might stay and if that happens I'm torn between two things. Which requires some explanation, so here goes.

At the start of the relationship we were very intimate, we weren't having sex all the time, but there was stuff from making out, to a beej, to an old-fashioned. It was great. Well, she has gotten an internship and a job here so she has very little time off. We were still doing stuff then, but it had gone down from where we were at the start. Fast-forward over the last few weeks and stuff has gone REALLY cold, like no real intimacy whatsoever. We haven't had sex in over a month. Again I'm not looking to bang every chance we get, but at least some making out would be nice. She has ended every time we've gone out with a kiss goodnight and she has done some unexpected stuff that shows me she still digs me. There is chemistry there when we hang out, but it doesn't always feel like a sexual chemistry. But, last night was a bit weird and maybe I fucked it. I'm just looking for some insight.

So there are two bars next to each other that play good music and at one last night was a band we had both enjoyed. We had no plans to meet up or anything as she had work and a tutoring session. I figured I would roll down there see what the scene was like, and MAYBE she would be there. So I go and she is there having a good time. Just dancing like she enjoys, not with guys even, just having a good time. She even said "I figured I might see you here." when I showed up. But, it felt like she was avoiding me most of the night. Maybe she was just wanting to dance by herself, and maybe I didn't read it right, but aren't you supposed to on some songs dance with the guy you're dating? Sure I might not know how to swing dance like she does, but I can dance a little and not look like a fool if it is the right song.

So to sum up last night I decided to bounce early and I left her there. But here is the key thing about what got me truly thinking about this, there was no kiss goodbye. Just a smile and her saying "Alright, bye".

Now I realize that a couple things could be happening. She might just be tired most of the time from work and her internship so she doesn't have the energy to be intimate. The fact that she is leaving in May might be cause her to put space between us so the departure doesn't hit as hard as it would if we were any deeper than we already are. But, from the lack of intimacy that has developed over the last month, to her criticism of things I enjoy (I can't even talk to her about certain film or television genres because I know I would be wasting breath.), to the fact she may very well be leaving in May I'm thinking about killing this thing now.

Good friends say they see a real connection between us and we seem like a fantastic match. So here is the question GAF. Do I kill this now, or do I try and reignite some intimacy in a final "hail-mary". I of course am going to talk to her first about it and just see what her feelings are. But, should I be prepared for the worst?

TL; DR: Lack of intimacy over the last month and major cooling off has caused me to question current relationship. Do I kill it now, or do I try and reignite some passion?

Christ, this entire post makes me feel like I'm 45 and asking for marriage advice.

always bail out when the sex stops

Cubsfan23

Banned
Thanks to the people who replied a bunch of pages back to my posts. Sorry I didn't respond.

How can I be less serious in an early relationship?

Only hang out once a week

the only communication you have with her is when you two are gonna hook up again. Don't do the 2 hour text/phone convos

that's it.

Only hang out once a week

the only communication you have with her is when you two are gonna hook up again. Don't do the 2 hour text/phone convos

that's it.

I agree, dont go texting/whatsapping/chatting/whatever all day every day with her. You wont have anything to talk about once you see each other, because you already know everything that happened to her.

low-G

Believe you're worth it.

Just reading this even helped me today with a very minor problem. I say it to myself a lot but I can still forget sometimes. Believe you can live your dreams and believe that you're worth it.

I'm really tempted to catch up on all the stuff I've missed in this thread while at PAX... soon...

Chinner

Banned
xQb63.jpg

Izick

Hi guys.

Good for you man!

The last part is tough though. It's hard to believe you're worth it if you get contrary vibes from members of the other sex. (or same sex if you're gay I suppose)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom