• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cage: "The Dark Sorcerer is the minimum quality you can get on the PS4"

DAMN. It seems like Sony is up for the challenge. Not sure about the other companies. Makes me question my XBox One preorder.

Yours,

Franck

Now we just need a video game to put in there.

getthefuckout4bu4x.gif

Satchel

Banned
Rewatch them. Heavy Rain looks better than The Audition and Beyond looks considerably better than Kara.

I platinumed Heavy Rain. It wasn't even close to the Audition.

Even Beyond, the footage being shown in TV spots doesn't come close to Kara.

I think some are seeing what they want to see. Final games never look anything like controlled, minimal tech demos. This goes for all consoles.

I think some are seeing what they want to see. Final games never look anything like controlled, minimal tech demos. This goes for all consoles.

No way... You must have watched a different audition cause the one I watched didnt age well. AT all

belmonkey

It's not that hard when you make games that are basically interactive movies.

Don't they also tend to work on a small scale as well? As in, taking the entirety of a large area that a game would normally render and condensing it into a really small space so it looks good. At least that's what I hear.

killatopak

I was wondering. How do you get these shots? Do you search them out? Or screenshot from your PS3(if that's even possible)?
The latest CFW's enable screenshots in every game. You basically just hit the PS button and navigate to photo, then hit save screenshot. Previously it was a developer by developer thing. These are some shots I took straight from the PS3 with the 16:9 rendering trick.
iQvWSTY622DUc.png

itFcmBb355d00.png

Perkel

Banned
They always delivered better looking final game than their tech demo.

It is true to

Fahrenheit
Heavy Rain
Beyond

belmonkey

The graphics should be amazing when all you have to do is process controller inputs and not a fully dynamic 'game' environment.

Or putting the entirety of the assets into a space the size of a mortal combat level.

That being said though, Beyond looks amazing for a PS3 game.

DBT85

Not sure I've ever seen anyone have this opinion of their tech demos compared to their games.

In my opinion, you are wrong.

N.Domixis

Banned
Hopefully he adds more actual gameplay, quantic dream are the only Sony Devs that I dislike. Heavy rain was alright but beyond is just not as great. I want to play my games not watch them, he just need s to balance qte with gameplay a bit better. IMHO.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
After playing Beyond I obviously believe him:

You are not allowed to say such a thing.

Well this is how Beyond looks on my PS3

10283337694_74355c367d_o.png

10178564986_11fefe664b_o.png

So I wouldn't expect anything less from them.

Huh? What makes you think he's speaking for everyone?

The character models look really good, especially the faces/skin, but I have to say everything else looks pretty damn far away from 'photorealism' or 'best graphics ever'.

rekameohs

Banned
Is it me or is QD the only dev house to get human eyes right? No seriously, I can't think of any other game that has the sheen just right. Human eyes are not perfect spheres and do not reflect light uniformly...they get it right.

I felt like Naughty Dog really got eyes right in Uncharted 3. They were a just a bit off in Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, but U3 was a damn fine looking game when it came to its characters.

FranXico

Am I the only one who gets these Molyneux vibes whenever I read quotes from Cage?

Not a dig at the games he designs, they're fine. Just the amount of hyperbole he throws out.

Domino792

Am I the only one who gets these Molyneux vibes whenever I read quotes from Cage?

Not a dig at the games he designs, they're fine. Just the amount of hyperbole he throws out.

Sure a lot of what he says can be hyperbole. But Quantic Dream games always look better than their tech demos, so i would trust him on this one.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
After seeing Beyond, it'd be almost foolish not to trust him on this.

The character models look really good, especially the faces/skin, but I have to say everything else looks pretty damn far away from 'photorealism' or 'best graphics ever'.
"Everything else" looks pretty damn amazing at this game at many times. Not all the time, but when it does it's incredible to look at. It's to my knowledge, the first game on the market that uses physically correct shaders for everything in the scene. Which is the kind of thing that teams like Guerrilla and Crytek have been implementing in their upcoming next gen games. It also has some of the best looking particle effects I've seen. The rain in the hunted scene, as well just about everything else in that scene, is mind blowingly good looking.

fvng

Hire a few, and a new director too. His direction comes out of a Lifetime movie.

GAF is so funny...puts up with shitty melodramatic JRPGs with incomprehensible stories then proceeds to give David Cage shit for his last 3 games. Beyond and Heavy Rain are Citizen Kane compared to the typical story found in a jrpg. (I'm only picking on JRPGs because they are notorious for being the worst offenders)

Even Beyond, the footage being shown in TV spots doesn't come close to Kara..

Your memory has failed you. Their tech demos have been exceeded by their retail products each time. The Audtion in particular looks pretty poor compared to heavy rain.

Sorc3r3r

Graphics graphics graphics.

LOL

In the case of Quantic Dream, game graphic is very central to their vision.

You can't, or better it becomes very hard, to convoy a certain kind of emotions to the final user with cartoonish graphic.
The believability of characters and envrionements, their lifelikeness and homogeneity will get a boost going next gen and this will be very beneficial for them, and their take on videogames.

When i was young i tried to convince people about the almighty power of the dreamcast with the Shenmue passport. Cage took this "argument" to a whole new level.

get the camera close, pretend it´s a game.

Top Bottom