• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cage: "The Dark Sorcerer is the minimum quality you can get on the PS4"

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
After seeing Beyond, it'd be almost foolish not to trust him on this.

"Everything else" looks pretty damn amazing at this game at many times. Not all the time, but when it does it's incredible to look at. It's to my knowledge, the first game on the market that uses physically correct shaders for everything in the scene. Which is the kind of thing that teams like Guerrilla and Crytek have been implementing in their upcoming next gen games. It also has some of the best looking particle effects I've seen. The rain in the hunted scene, as well just about everything else in that scene, is mind blowingly good looking.
That would explain the quality of the materials and the skin then. I'm not trying to pick a fight here or anything like that; the game probably looks as good as you're going to get out this gen of hardware in terms of pure visuals, ignoring stuff like scale or control of environments. It's just that the disparity between the quality of the characters and the backdrops (and even their clothing tbh) stood out to me so much that at first I thought the people posting those images were being sarcastic. Some have mentioned that they're not the best screens though.

Ishan

The character models look really good, especially the faces/skin, but I have to say everything else looks pretty damn far away from 'photorealism' or 'best graphics ever'.

isnt this some of trick used where they know people focus on characters so they super detail them and go lower on the background ... also some people mentioned the kara demo but beyond def went further than the original ps3 demo by qd ... actress it was called iirc .... and yes some people do make a valid point that their games are more interactive movies ... its very naive to say that statement is ignorant because ai/gameplay details/physics etc do take up resources ... having said that tho qd does have great tech ... and they do their area of interactive storytelling as they call it well ... not for everyone but certainly impressive for what they are trying to achive.

xJavonta

Banned
I just finished Beyond and all I thought throughout the entire game was I wonder what crazy looking shit he'll make on the PS4.

Nizz

Really, at times Beyond is the best looking game I've played. Comes astonishingly close to photorealism at a few points. A PS4 version with some more AA would look next-gen, they really outdid themselves.
How much of a chance is there for a PS4 port of Beyond? I've slowed down buying current gen games to save money for the PS4 and at least one game for it plus a PS+ membership.

DieH@rd

Banned
E3 trailer of Order 1886 was realtime on PS4, and it could easily pass as a high quality CGI made for some currentgen game. The only place it showed that is realtime was few moments of noticeable aliasing and shimmering.

Nextgen games are gonna be awesome, and I cant wait for a next game from Quantic Dream.

karasu

GAF is so funny...puts up with shitty melodramatic JRPGs with incomprehensible stories then proceeds to give David Cage shit for his last 3 games. Beyond and Heavy Rain are Citizen Kane compared to the typical story found in a jrpg. (I'm only picking on JRPGs because they are notorious for being the worst offenders)

They're both drowning in the same melodramatic pool.

fresquito

Indeed, his writing isn't always terrible or even bad, it's good sometimes, he just needs to pay a lot more attention to it if his games are going to based on the writing.

No one really gets a pass as far as writing in this industry though. So many bad writers.
Not a Portal 1+2 player, I see.

Tabular

Banned
small team? small resources?

Not a single indie game will have that level of graphics, I don't know what he means by "small" there, but I can guarantee The Dark Sorcerer demo is not the minimum the PS4 will offer. This is pure PR.

French is his first language. Pretty sure he means Dark Sorcerer is minimum they (Quantic Dream) will achieve.
"The mimimum quality."

This is dumb people speak. David Cage is dumb.

No. This is a small error a person makes when trying his best to conduct an interview in his second language. Sheesh.

Edit: he said 'can' get. Not will get.

"Some people were really impressed with the Dark Sorcerer but this is just the beginning, it's the minimum quality you can get on the console.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I platinumed Heavy Rain. It wasn't even close to the Audition.

Even Beyond, the footage being shown in TV spots doesn't come close to Kara.

I think some are seeing what they want to see. Final games never look anything like controlled, minimal tech demos. This goes for all consoles.
This is a joke right? The audition>Heavy Rain>Kara>Beyond all have considerably large jumps in graphical quality.
I'd say Heavy Rains character loading screen only comes close to Beyond.

dat power already causing the rlod

first casualty, salute.jpg

BWlbp1UIMAA43-m.jpg

This is a joke right? The audition>Heavy Rain>Kara>Beyond all have considerably large jumps in graphical quality.
I'd say Heavy Rains character loading screen only comes close to Beyond.

I was surprised by how bad* the Audition video looks when I watched it again last year. It was surpassed a long time ago as devs figured out the current gen consoles. Heavy Rain looks much better than it, and Beyond is in a different ballpark (so far, 2 hours in)

*by 2013 standards

So far QD have shown that their tech demos are realistic, makes me very excited for whatever game they make from the Dark Sorceror engine

Famassu

If the leap from this tech demo to their next game is as big as going from their early PS3 tech demo to Heavy Rain and then the game after that is as big a leap as Beyond is over Heavy Rain, minds... no, heads will blow up of sheer awesomeness of the graphics.

It's just that the disparity between the quality of the characters and the backdrops (and even their clothing tbh) stood out to me so much that at first I thought the people posting those images were being sarcastic. Some have mentioned that they're not the best screens though.
Yeah there are some other scenes which look incredible overall. Heavy spoilers though, so we can't post them, which is quite frustrating.

Don't they also tend to work on a small scale as well? As in, taking the entirety of a large area that a game would normally render and condensing it into a really small space so it looks good. At least that's what I hear.
This was true for Heavy Rain. Beyond has some pretty big environments as well, so it's not necessarily an engine limitation.

The graphics should be amazing when all you have to do is process controller inputs and not a fully dynamic 'game' environment.
The only thing that is missing really is AI. Would take some resources, but since you design the level accordingly to the number of AI agents, it should still be possible.

I hope his next game isn't a comedy. His old demos were kinda serious and the games to result from them were kinda serious. Very loose connection but it has me worried his PS4 title will be silly.

OmegaDL50

Just seeing Beyond push the PS3 to the limit makes me think what the maximum of the PS4 can do.

To add onto this post and put this into perspective. Look at a launch title such as Genji or Ridge Racer 7 for the PS3 and compare them to Beyond Two Souls or Gran Turismo 6.

The games look like they come from two different console generations. Case in point Genji itself looking like a very late PS2 title

http://www.game-savers.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/genji-days-of-the-blade-screenshot-_14.jpg

Beyond Two Souls is 7 years into the refinement and knowledge of what Sony devs got out of the PS3's hardware.

So looking at games like Knack, Drive Club, and Killzone Shadow Fall implied to be released at system launch in 2013.

So just imagine what we'll get in another 6 to 7 years around 2019 or 2020. (depending the PS4's gen lasts as long as the PS3 did)

Zabant

dat power already causing the rlod

first casualty, salute.jpg

BWlbp1UIMAA43-m.jpg

I have seen that light before, I think it was when no HDMI cable was hooked up and the console was turned on. It's probably just a general all purpose error signifier, though that does not rule out overheating.

Edit: found the story, it was a self shut down to avoid overheating, console resumed working after it had cooled down. It's no wonder sitting in an unventilated perspex box.

New thread regarding this here

mclem

"It was done with a very small team, a very small amount of time and small resources. Now we have a full team and we hope to make something really impressive."

I'm very curious what actual numbers are attached to that sentiment. What does David Cage regard as 'very small'?

E-phonk

Banned
Is it me or is QD the only dev house to get human eyes right? No seriously, I can't think of any other game that has the sheen just right. Human eyes are not perfect spheres and do not reflect light uniformly...they get it right.

Heh, a friend of mine who doesn't play a lot of video games came by yesterday and one of the first things he said was: this is the first time I see 3D characters without freaky eyes.

I platinumed Heavy Rain. It wasn't even close to the Audition.

Even Beyond, the footage being shown in TV spots doesn't come close to Kara.

I think some are seeing what they want to see. Final games never look anything like controlled, minimal tech demos. This goes for all consoles.
You are wrong then. Beyond especially is in another ballpark than Kara. You have to see it in person of course.

Get the writing sorted David, the tech means nothing without a good story

Beyond has a pretty good story, tbh.
And the writing is as good as the vast majority of video games. The acting, on the other hand, blows away 99% of other games.
Beyond can be criticized for iffy game design and linearity, but not for the quality of its presentation.
QD's PS4 project will look phenomenal.

Beyond looks amazing, but I wonder if the QTE heavy style of gameplay allows it to be so pretty. If Beyond was a normal action shooter, and had to implement scores of enemies attacking you at the same time, etc. The graphical fidelity would suffer for it.

'The Mission' chapter says hi.
That has MGS4 style open warfare environments with lots of shit going on, and still looks amazing.

Beyond is, no question, the best looking game on the PS3. It's nothing short of a miracle what they've managed to achieve on such aging hardware. It's going to be kind of scary what Quantic Dream will conjure up on the PS4 with their next game.

I just hope their next project isn't a crushing bore like Ellen Page and Ghost Pal turned out to be.

Ishan

I have seen that light before, I think it was when no HDMI cable was hooked up and the console was turned on. It's probably just a general all purpose error signifier, though that does not rule out overheating.

Edit: found the story, it was a self shut down to avoid overheating, console resumed working after it had cooled down. It's no wonder sitting in an unventilated perspex box.

New thread regarding this here

this. original post was misleading ... overheated opened enclosed back to normal in two ...

Alej

Banned
When you see what PS3 can do with Beyond... It makes you think PS4 is the most we can expect of rasterization. I know someone will say PC, but look at Beyond, seriously, it is mindblowing at times. Even The Last of Us didn't achieve this on me, and god it was beautiful (but with bad IQ and some dated things).

Is it me or is QD the only dev house to get human eyes right? No seriously, I can't think of any other game that has the sheen just right. Human eyes are not perfect spheres and do not reflect light uniformly...they get it right.
There are others. But character eyes are something that's stood out for me as a pet peeve amongst next gen games, and how poorly they're done a lot of the time. Vacant thousand yard stares on everyone.

Ellen Page actually looks like she's looking at stuff in those shots.

pixlexic

Banned
Beyond two souls doesn't look great.. Most parts from the demo could pass for a ps2 game.

So mr cage .. I call your hyperbolic bluff.

Raydeen

David Cage confirms everyone's biggest next gen fear.

Why use any of that processing power for the actual game / AI when you can blow it all on chasing Hollywood.

Watch as the AI in games on PS4 / XB1 get dumber and dumber. And the number of enemies on screen dwindles to 2 or 3 rendered to the sub-atomic level, bump scattered with translucent skin uncanny valley dolls waiting to be knocked down with a one button QTE.

Skeff

Beyond two souls doesn't look great.. Most parts from the demo could pass for a ps2 game.

So mr cage .. I call your hyperbole bluff.

seriously? are you actually being serious? Beyond could be nominated as having the best graphics of the generation and your saying it looks like a PS2 game? you know the PS2 wasn't really strong enough to make toy story right?

pixlexic

Banned
seriously? are you actually being serious? Beyond could be nominated as having the best graphics of the generation and your saying it looks like a PS2 game? you know the PS2 wasn't really strong enough to make toy story right?

Like I said from the demo .. The games graphics were not impressive. Maybe they get better later but that's the. Impression the demo gave.

Top Bottom