• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cage: "The Dark Sorcerer is the minimum quality you can get on the PS4"

DieH@rd

Banned
dat power already causing the rlod

first casualty, salute.jpg

BWlbp1UIMAA43-m.jpg

It was not casualty, that was only overheating warning notice. After they opened the shitty box, console cooled down in few seconds, and the gaming was resumed [console did not shut down].

Beyond two souls doesn't look great.. Most parts from the demo could pass for a ps2 game.

So mr cage .. I call your hyperbolic bluff.

Character models are the best on anything, PC or otherwise...so I don't know what you are getting at. Environments are generally fantastic as well.

DeadcatXL

Banned
After Beyond, i'm very excited to see what QD will do with more power.

I also don't understand the whole "THERE'S NO GAME" thing. I have 40 other games in my library filled to the brim with gamey stuff, am i not allowed to enjoy something out of the box every now and then?

tusken77

Exciting times! David, I'd really like a game based on Kara's story, complete with Dark Sorcerer-quality visuals.

"Thanks"
ah5lgl.gif

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I think he is capable of writing a good story, but something falls apart quickly towards the end

The first scene in Farenheit was frigging awesome and I thought I was getting more of that. I thought I was getting more scenes in which what you did let to different outcomes and it was puzzle-esque since you has to think about how to get out of that situation.

Heavy Rain opening was also excellent. I thought we were getting a hard boiled detective story with branching story and interrogation trees.

"Some people were really impressed with the Dark Sorcerer but this is just the beginning, it's the minimum quality you can get on the console."

Nah. I doubt that there won't be any games that will look worse than that (and others that will look better of course).

Well when you make games with motion capturing and your games are mainly interactive movies with QTE it's no wonder his games can reach such high levels of graphics.

StuBurns

Banned
I think Heavy Rain looked really rough, it looked cheap, it had horrible tearing issues, and was just overall pretty messy, but Beyond is just incredible visually. By far the best of the generation. I have no doubt QD will over deliver graphically.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Like I said from the demo .. The games graphics were not impressive. Maybe they get better later but that's the. Impression the demo gave.

Good thing your opinion holds no weight when it comes to the merits of visuals and how to judge them.

StuBurns

Banned
I just googled it, because I only played the experiment bit of the demo. The other bit is the missions in the forest. In no possible way is comparing it to a PS2 game not trolling.

Is the bike in there?

Manu

Like I said from the demo .. The games graphics were not impressive. Maybe they get better later but that's the. Impression the demo gave.

You know Quantic Dream released a game for PS2, right? It looked like this:

531350_3693409383754_42747995_n.jpg

I dare you to find a Beyond screenshot that looks half as bad as that.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Have people really forgotten what PS2 and Xbox original games looked like?

Elios83

Really excited to see what they're going to do next. They certainly know how to make amazing graphics, The Dark Sorcerer demo is the most impressive looking next gen demo so far.
Cage said that their PS4 game would be really different from HR and Beyond, maybe it will be set in a fantasy world and focused on irony instead of drama?

I'm very curious what actual numbers are attached to that sentiment. What does David Cage regard as 'very small'?

Looks like this (Dark Sorcerer credits)
That's everybody who ever touched the demo, including the entire R&D crew. The main team was about 20 people working for a couple of months on it.

I just googled it, because I only played the experiment bit of the demo. The other bit is the missions in the forest. In no possible way is comparing it to a PS2 game not trolling.

Is the bike in there?
The bike is in there yes. The huge town fight as well. I hope he finds the PS2 game soon that looks that good.

Skeff

That's everybody who ever touched the demo, including the entire R&D crew. The main team was about 20 people working for a couple of months on it.

The bike is in there yes. The huge town fight as well. I hope he finds the PS2 game soon that looks that good.

Don't forget this is in the Demo:

Beyond-thumb.jpg

Ithil

Why is it exactly some people are incapable of seeing "David Cage" in a thread title without clicking on the thread to tell everyone about how they don't like his games?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Why is it exactly some people are incapable of seeing "David Cage" in a thread title without clicking on the thread to tell everyone about how they don't like his games?

It's annoying some lots of people haven't even played Beyond yet. I'm one of those ><

mclem

Still larger than any team I worked on. I'd generally go with around 4-5 programmers with maybe 6-7 artists, plus the production side.

Skeff

There might be some PS2 CG that looks kind of nearly as good, if he's lucky.

Not even close, FF12 cutscenes will be just about the best around, that clip exceeds Spirit within which was made on the giant box of duct taped together PS2's.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That would explain the quality of the materials and the skin then. I'm not trying to pick a fight here or anything like that; the game probably looks as good as you're going to get out this gen of hardware in terms of pure visuals, ignoring stuff like scale or control of environments. It's just that the disparity between the quality of the characters and the backdrops (and even their clothing tbh) stood out to me so much that at first I thought the people posting those images were being sarcastic. Some have mentioned that they're not the best screens though.
Ah, you have to see the game running. Don't rely on any screens. Clothing is one of the things that's consistently super-impressive about it. Not just the surface texture, which at least on main characters seems to never be 'just' flat texture, but the cloth physics as well, seen on a long dress that Jodie can wear in the game. I can also safely say that I've never seen denim look as good in any game I played.

It's annoying some lots of people haven't even played Beyond yet. I'm one of those ><
Do it. The people in this thread complaining about the writing are pretty funny. The writing in Beyond is really fine, not mindblowing or perfect, but alright. It completely trashes Heavy Rain. The problems many reviewers and some players have with it is game design, story structure and overall execution. But the writing itself is really not the culprit this time.

Still larger than any team I worked on. I'd generally go with around 4-5 programmers with maybe 6-7 artists, plus the production side.
Well I guess for him 20 people is small. That was about the size of his team when he did Omikron in 1997.

i-Lo

For their type of game, undoubtedly.

Personally, I think we are at a point now where character models look sufficiently good to form emotional links with if the writing is good enough. Personally, what I hope to see is BTS/uncharted 3-like character fidelity with commensurate facial animation in WRPGs.

I beat Beyond yesterday. Main things I noticed about the engine:

*High quality skin shader on characters
*High quality soft shadows on characters
*Good particle effects like rain & fire (these obviously look a lot better in the PS4 tech demo)
*Great looking environments most of the time (again the PS4 environments look even better due to RAM increase)

-Pop ups during horse riding segments
-jaggies
-poor quality environmental shadows every now and then
-unstable frame rate at times

When QD say this is a scaled down ver of the PS4 engine I totally believe them. Beyond pushed PS3 to it's limits and no where does it look like a PS2 game at all. Their PS4 engine is obviously mind blowing.

Ah, you have to see the game running. Don't rely on any screens. Clothing is one of the things that's consistently super-impressive about it. Not just the surface texture, which at least on main characters seems to never be 'just' flat texture, but the cloth physics as well, seen on a long dress that Jodie can wear in the game.
That dress was something else. Just walked around in circles with the camera pointed down for 2 minutes or something. Dem legs!

For their type of game, undoubtedly.

Personally, I think we are at a point now where character models look sufficiently good to form emotional links with if the writing is good enough. Personally, what I hope to see is BTS/uncharted 3-like character fidelity with commensurate facial animation in WRPGs.
Yeah there should be no excuse for some other genres now.

fvng

They're both drowning in the same melodramatic pool.

play a jrpg, then play Beyond and tell me which has better writing. It's not even the same league, much less the same ballpark.

I say this as a casual fan of jrpgs as well. I think this is part of why Beyond was so appealing to me, every conversation in that game felt natural.

Top Bottom