• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cameron's Brexit Poison Chalice and Potential Way to Stop Brexit

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungFa

The whole country seemed to be governd by man children who have the grace of prepubescent teenagers, unable to take responsibility for anything they do.

I
That's really not how it should work though, have a vote to leave, leave for a while for the consensus to change, then say oh look now the people don't want to leave so we wont, that's just a bollocks idea and sets up another set of issues with our voting system.

Do we get to do that each time at an election, have a couple of months of shit then go, actually we got it wrong, all change.

It's not how it should work, but if a government was elected with a 52:48 majority and lost a few votes to rebels after a few months, then they would face a vote of no confidence and a new general election.
Not to mention that no government would survive if literally all of it's manifesto pledges were discovered to be lies.

The referendum was incredibly tight, so it's hard for people to claim that it provides a mandate for a fundamental change that will affect us for the rest of our lives.

I think we're totally fucked, but I hate how everyone is saying that "the will of the people" is to leave, when most leavers were voting for tighter immigration controls and repatriation of legal authority - which will absolutely not happen under a single-market deal.

It's not how it should work, but if a government was elected with a 52:48 majority and lost a few votes to rebels after a few months, then they would face a vote of no confidence and a new general election.
Not to mention that no government would survive if literally all of it's manifesto pledges were discovered to be lies.

The referendum was incredibly tight, so it's hard for people to claim that it provides a mandate for a fundamental change that will affect us for the rest of our lives.

I think we're totally fucked, but I hate how everyone is saying that "the will of the people" is to leave, when most leavers were voting for tighter immigration controls and repatriation of legal authority - which will absolutely not happen under a single-market deal.

This.

BKSmash

Great democracy you got there, letting the people vote and then doing everything in your power to turn it around. Just accept the result and stand by it
,regardless of how stupid it might be.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Great democracy you got there, letting the people vote and then doing everything in your power to turn it around. Just accept the result and stand by it

This is not the swiss. This referendum is not binding.

Vagabundo

Really with the way it turned out there should be a snap election all parties can stake out a position and the electorate can choose whose position they want.

After 2008 I wish that Ireland had a snap election, but really we would have went with ant-austerity and probably fucked ourselves.. Still.

Maledict

It's so stupid when people say this. we know already from before the referendum that had remain won, UKIP would continue. Nigel Farage himself said in May that if the result was 52 Remain - 48 leave, he would expect a second referendum very shortly afterwards.

So how come when Leave won we all have to shut up, smile and join together in unity and aren't allowed to use the levels of democracy we have to stop it? Because leave sure as hell would have!

Hasney

SZIS8bO.gif

No. The side that loses doesn't just go away. UKIP were calling for a second referendum before the results of this one even!

It's so stupid when people say this. we know already from before the referendum that had remain won, UKIP would continue. Nigel Farage himself said in May that if the result was 52 Remain - 48 leave, he would expect a second referendum very shortly afterwards.

So how come when Leave won we all have to shut up, smile and join together in unity and aren't allowed to use the levels of democracy we have to stop it? Because leave sure as hell would have!

So you want to stoop to his level? Not exactly something worth admitting.

Rodelero

This widely accepted point of view is patently ridiculous. Obviously a great deal of respect must be held for the will of the people, but it is patently and blindingly stupid to feel that we should always do what a referendum says regardless of circumstances. The circumstances surrounding this referendum, both in terms of the consequences very few Leave voters were aware of, the absolute lies spread by the Leave campaign, the complete lack of plan held by the Leave campaign, suggests to me that this is ABSOLUTELY the time you should ignore the 'will of the people'.

It's less than a 4% margin, it's time to be realistic, this isn't some massive resounding "We want to leave Europe", it's a resounding indication that the country is split down the middle.

Hagi

I think you would have to stoop a lot lower than that to reach that cunts level.

It's hard to get a read on where this is going to lead the UK or more specifically Scotland when the folk in London are running around like headless chickens with no discernible gameplay.

Maledict

Huh?

I wouldn't expect Nigel Farage to go away if he lost. Why would he? I would expect him to keep banging the drum and campaigning for another EU referendum. I'd hope he would be utterly ignored, but it's his right to keep pushing for another. Same as mine!

Zelias

Banned
It's a nice theory but it does hinge on the mediocre hamfaced hamfucker being a savvy enough political operator to pull off a David Xanatos-esque masterstroke. That's one hell of a stretch for what is almost certainly a final act of spite in this battle of Eton boys writ large.

Crispy75

Increasingly this is feeling like Britain is trying to get a better deal with the Eu like it's negotiating with its cable TV provider.

"I want to leave your service, it's too expensive and my mind is made up!"

A few days later someone phones up from the cable company and offers them a 50% reduction to stay.

They then remain exactly where they are with a better deal.

Except there's only one provider, and when they call back, they'll say "Sorry, your price has gone up 50%, we've dropped that channel you like and btw there's no other way to get Game of Thrones, so you'll either pay or suffer, bitch."

Sianos

Increasingly this is feeling like Britain is trying to get a better deal with the Eu like it's negotiating with its cable TV provider.

"I want to leave your service, it's too expensive and my mind is made up!"

A few days later someone phones up from the cable company and offers them a 50% reduction to stay.

They then remain exactly where they are with a better deal.

I think you've solved the mystery of what the hell the Leave politicians who drank the Kool-Aid were thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom