• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day of the Tentacle: SE will be shown at Indiecade tomorrow

jett

D-Member
First (off-screen) screenshot:

CSBUKa3XIAAoHgI.jpg

Looks pretty much perfect as far as you can tell from that shot. As close to the original as you can get. Full screen play screen as well.

I hope we'll get a trailer or a gameplay video - really curious to see how the animation turned out.

9406397_orig.jpg

Seems DF has done the best possible job, nice.

Lucreto

They haven't (thankfully, those original voices are what the characters should sound like). They have found the original sound files which means they'll be of a higher quality now though.

They also rerecorded (parts of) the soundtrack with actual instruments, and hopefully they used the Sydney orchestra again for the main theme and some other big pieces, just like with Grim.

I meant get the original voice actors back and redo the lines with the updated recording equipment but it the original recordings are up to par all it good.

eso76

Maniac Mansion is one of my favourite games of all times, and yet I'm ashamed to admit I never played dott.

Had no idea this was a thing; tbh I think a game like this would work better on psvita or even mobile (come at me!), but this will do !

ckohler

Maniac Mansion is one of my favourite games of all times, and yet I'm ashamed to admit I never played dott.

Had no idea this was a thing; tbh I think a game like this would work better on psvita or even mobile (come at me!), but this will do !

DOTT is better than Maniac Mansion, imo. Lots of callbacks and recurring characters to the first game which you'll probably enjoy. The original DOTT game even had the full Maniac Mansion game hidden in it that you could play.

This remastered version is coming out for PSVita as well as PS4, Windows, OSX and Linux.

I think it'll be similar to how it was handled in the Monkey Special editions, with the verb bar being there in classic mode, and the new mode having a verb 'coin' (think Monkey 3, or Full Throttle) with all the actions with unique responses when holding the mouse button.

The MI:SE interface was pretty clunky I thought

I honestly prefer it that way. Easy to use and it just looks a lot better when the entire screen is filled with pretty art. I think the verb bar was phased out of those games for a reason really. Not that much easier to use.

Personally I thought the verb coin going from 9 to 3 was an oversimplification.

The move from 14 to 9 made sense, but going beyond that just makes things too easy. Broken Age even got rid of on hover descriptions...

An option to turn it on would please everyone of course.

yes please

Yarbskoo

First (off-screen) screenshot:

CSBUKa3XIAAoHgI.jpg

Looks pretty much perfect as far as you can tell from that shot. As close to the original as you can get. Full screen play screen as well.

I hope we'll get a trailer or a gameplay video - really curious to see how the animation turned out.

That looks about as good as I could've hoped for. I didn't dislike the Monkey Island Special Editions, but I usually prefer remasters to be as close to the original as possible.

I do think the pixelated version has some charm to it. Probably nostalgia.

I wouldn't mind if they remastered Hit the Road in a similar way.

Boem

Personally I thought the verb coin going from 9 to 3 was an oversimplification.

Yeah I was thinking of Monkey 2, not Monkey 1. That one didn't work so well.

I do agree with what they did in Monkey 2 SE, where they just showed the verbs for each specific hot spot that had unique responses (beyond: I can't do that). So not just the things that lead to solutions, also all the extra jokes, leaving out all the non-reaction verbs. I never thought that, in the old games, the strength of the puzzles was in figuring out you had to use 'use' instead of 'turn on' when both those choices made sense, for example. I think the actual puzzles in the games always were smarter than that, and when they started limiting the choices in later games their puzzle design changed with it - for the better I think. Also it's just a lot cleaner, which I really like.

But still, that's just my opinion - I'd be happy with that but I can see how others would just want all the verbs at all times.

Firebrand

I hope all the verbs are still in there... and they havent simplified it with 3-4 actions etc.

Looks good though from that shot, not "Flash" nor crappy paint over like Monkey Island SE.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I hope all the verbs are still in there... and they havent simplified it with 3-4 actions etc.

Looks good though from that shot, not "Flash" nor crappy paint over like Monkey Island SE.

Yeah the first MI SE looked kind of..bad. LeChuck's Revenge, luckily, looked *a lot* better. Shame neither of them got the attention this remake is getting though, it looks lovely

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
CSCI3UFVEAAELY0.jpg

characters are HUGE on screen, love it

Kinyou

Looking good. Very faithful visual update.

Full Throttle will most likely be the next one for them. Tim Schafer has confirmed that it's what they're trying to do, but nothing have been signed about it yet.
I hope that happens. Full Throttle has been on my list for a long time

Mr Swine

Banned
Hnnnnggg, hhhhhnnnngggggg, hhhnnnngggggggggggg

Yes yes yes! In my VEINS!

I cannot wait for this to co e out! It looks so much better than the MI remakes

Other than the pictures from IndieCade attendees, any actual news? On the Double Fine website last night they stated that they were going to "properly announce it" today, and nothing yet...
:(

M.Steiner

Just saw these over on Destructoid.

Sure, everything has been redrawn to today's standards, but so much of that original art's style is preserved. Along with the updated artwork, Day of the Tentacle is also getting remastered audio and some currently unknown "special features" added to it.
More pics at the link. Looks great!

I never really enjoyed adventure games as I found them boring and frustrating to play.

But I LOVED this game, it was just too darn fun and interesting. So for other people to experience it will be awesome.

Day of the Tentacle: SE [OT] That was fun.

harSon

Banned
Looks fucking amazing. Can't wait to see it in motion :)

Day of the Tentacle was always my favorite of LucasArt's click and point adventure games.

Shin-Ra

Looks like a faithful vectorisation of the original art with some fine detail revealed like Hoagie's belly button, shoe soles and the outhouse sign. The offscreen picture's not ideal to judge but I do prefer how the path stones blend in the original pixel art and the wooden outhouses look a bit more textured.

Me neither. Looks like they filtered the original backgrounds with Vector Magic.

This screen is just shameful: http://www.destructoid.com/day-of-the-tentacle-remastered-is-looking-slick-317194.phtml#&gid=1&pid=5

Why are the letters illegible? It's not like the resolution is too low, they just never bothered to fill in the blanks.

Still, happy to play the game again!
That's not so good. The environment does look largely auto-vectorised and finer details don't transition well unless manually updated.

Top Bottom