• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day of the Tentacle: SE will be shown at Indiecade tomorrow

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Full Throttle will most likely be the next one for them. Tim Schafer has confirmed that it's what they're trying to do, but nothing have been signed about it yet.

FT_comp_zpsdcc02f6b.gif

It's fake.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Me neither. Looks like they filtered the original backgrounds with Vector Magic.

This screen is just shameful: http://www.destructoid.com/day-of-the-tentacle-remastered-is-looking-slick-317194.phtml#&gid=1&pid=5

Why are the letters illegible? It's not like the resolution is too low, they just never bothered to fill in the blanks.

Still, happy to play the game again!

What should that text say when it was never meant to be legible? It was illegible scribble back then, and it's illegible scribble now.

RAIDEN1

With full throttle you would always have that nagging feeling of what might have been if a sequel ever got released that was a lot better when it came to longevity .....not saying fans wouldn't welcome it but it'd be so awesome if there was a game created now with that sort of art-style, humour and charm...and was a sequel of some sort...or even a prequel!

Radogol

What should that text say when it was never meant to be legible? It was illegible scribble back then, and it's illegible scribble now.

But it doesn't look like illegible scribble, it looks like weird lines that make no sense now that it's in HD.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
But it doesn't look like illegible scribble, it looks like weird lines that make no sense now that it's in HD.

I suggest you send Schafer a picture of how you would like it to be rectified before he embarasses himself and his family with this shameful adaptation. And tell him straighten the walls too.

TedHub

Banned
I suggest you send Schafer a picture of how you would like it to be rectified before he embarasses himself and his family with this shameful adaptation.

Come on, now. Save it for when someone's actually vehemently upset about this.

Shin-Ra

They deliberately made it a scribble as a stylish shorthand for text too small to read with the pixel resolution they had. There are a few shades of colour there suggesting it's a bit smoother and more detailed than the updated vectorised look though.

inm8num2

The new screens look great to me. They retain the wacky geometry and caricatures of the original despite losing the pixel charm. The artists' intentions seem to be preserved.

Shin-Ra

It's interesting how they vertically stretched the scenes slightly to fill the 16:9 window without verbs. It doesn't really show without a side-by-side comparison because of the wacky deformed art but a letterbox option for the updated graphics would be cool.

Radogol

Well, he did use the word shameful. I can't really tell anymore on the internet.

I'm a bit disappointed with how it looks but I'll buy the game regardless. Love the original.

Still, take a look at the Full Throttle mockup that has been posted in this thread. It keeps the art style but makes use of the higher resolution to add detail. The picture in the background becomes an actual picture as opposed to a collection of random pixels.

In fact, the outhouse screen from DOTT HD appears to do the same. Perhaps it's just this particular room that could have been upscaled with more care.

Full Throttle will most likely be the next one for them. Tim Schafer has confirmed that it's what they're trying to do, but nothing have been signed about it yet.

I would prefer MI 1-2 upported to PS4 and ported to PSV, as well as MI3 and 4. However, I will take any LA adventure game! Wasn't there a rumor about The Dig getting a remake as well? What happened there?

This might be a good a thread as any to ask this question, I saw that Grim Fandango is $5.99 on the playstation store, I don't have a PS4 yet, will probably get one eventually. I do have a psv, so if I buy Grim Fandango for PSV now, will I be able to unlock the PS4 version later (in a year or two)?

Yeah, the upres job doesn't quite look perfect, including those signs that look like a quick upscale job while other parts look like they got the appropriate level of attention (the characters, primarily), but I'm just happy to see the game again - that's overriding my desire to nitpick things right now.

It's interesting how they vertically stretched the scenes slightly to fit the full 16:9 window without verbs. It doesn't really show without a side-by-side comparison because of the wacky deformed art style but a letterbox option for the updated graphics would be cool.
Well, they'd kind of have to vertically stretch the scenes - 320x200 is 16:10, but games actually using it were designed for 4:3 monitors, so there's an inherent 1.2x vertical stretch in displaying it on an actual CRT monitor that the comparison screenshot doesn't account for.

Mifune

Mehmber
For some reason I feel like there is something bigger brewing between Double Fine and Sony. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Psychonauts remake.

ArjanN

Ech, I am not digging that new art.

Weird, because it basically looks exactly the same art-wise to me.

For some reason I feel like there is something bigger brewing between Double Fine and Sony. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Psychonauts remake.

Eh, that already got a re-release on Steam. IMO it's 99% likely it's going to be Full Throttle. Which would be the correct choice. :p

Yarbskoo

I'm a bit disappointed with how it looks but I'll buy the game regardless. Love the original.

Still, take a look at the Full Throttle mockup that has been posted in this thread. It keeps the art style but makes use of the higher resolution to add detail. The picture in the background becomes an actual picture as opposed to a collection of random pixels.

In fact, the outhouse screen from DOTT HD appears to do the same. Perhaps it's just this particular room that could have been upscaled with more care.

The Full Throttle fan art is done in a way that's similar to the Monkey Island 2 Special Edition.
ltxlJ6i.png

It seems for Day of the Tentacle they're going for as close as possible to the original as they can get while still having an HD resolution. This could be to save money, or it could be a response to the somewhat mixed reception of the new art for the Monkey Island Special Editions.
Or maybe it's a little of both.

TedHub

Banned
Weird, becasue it basically looks exactly the same art-wise to me.

The art's not the worst thing in the world, but some of the assets in these screenshots look suspiciously like they were put through an automated vectorization process to me. The "Keep Out" sign in this one looks especially suspect to me:

dott-remastered-000-noscale.jpg

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Looks like a faithful vectorisation of the original art with some fine detail revealed like Hoagie's belly button, shoe soles and the outhouse sign. The offscreen picture's not ideal to judge but I do prefer how the path stones blend in the original pixel art and the wooden outhouses look a bit more textured.

That's not so good. The environment does look largely auto-vectorised and finer details don't transition well unless manually updated.

It definitely is an auto-conversion with a little bit of manual finish. Nothing was redrawn (which is understandable, the amount of art would cost 10 million nowadays), but after Grim Fandango they know what sales to expect and that they can't afford a high budget. Instead it's the other way around, lowest possible budget. Sadly a lot of detail is lost in the process, it now has the flair of a flash game. Characters are especially bad, they look out of place.

jett

D-Member
Me neither. Looks like they filtered the original backgrounds with Vector Magic.

This screen is just shameful: http://www.destructoid.com/day-of-the-tentacle-remastered-is-looking-slick-317194.phtml#&gid=1&pid=5

Why are the letters illegible? It's not like the resolution is too low, they just never bothered to fill in the blanks.

Still, happy to play the game again!

DOTTComparison-noscale.jpg

I think it's pretty clear it has been redrawn with the intention of maintaing the original aesthetic as much as possible. It's not an upscale at all. As far as I'm concerned it's the best possible result.

I think it's pretty clear it has been redrawn with the intention of maintaing the original aesthetic as much as possible. It's not an upscale at all. As far as I'm concerned it's the best possible result.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. No need alter it in any unnecessary way, risk messing something up.

I feel like Fate of Atlantis would need that kind of treatment, though. That game would probably be a real struggle.

jett

D-Member
I think it's pretty clear it has been redrawn with the intention of maintaing the original aesthetic as much as possible. It's not an upscale at all. As far as I'm concerned it's the best possible result.

Exactly. No need alter it in any unnecessary way, risk messing something up.

I feel like Fate of Atlantis would need that kind of treatment, though. That game would probably be a real struggle.

The distinctive artstyle in DOTT helps a lot with a process of this sort. It really loooks pretty friggin' avantgarde for its time.The OG game still looks pretty fantastic, low-res and all.

Fate of Atlantis not really.

gpn

Looking good, my Vita is ready!

Day of the Tentacle was the first Lucasarts adventure not released on the Amiga, so I had to break down and get a PC to keep playing their games.

Does anybody still have their Lucasarts Adventurers? I miss the old days when we got manuals and stuff like this with our games.

The cover seems appropriate for the frenzy we're going through now.
dott1_zpsds4szxpi.jpg

dott2_zpsykkizsmi.jpg

dott3_zpssyvocubq.jpg

Hazelhurst

This is one of my all time favorite games. The last time I played and completed this game was on a hacked DS Lite using SCUMM. Soo good.

GAF never fails to amaze me to the degree at which they'll nitpick something.

This adaptation of DotT looks great to me. My nephew would never be able to get around the old PC version (I tried playing through MI with him and he couldn't get past the pixelation) but this is perfect. I look forward to playing through this again and introducing some new people to the game for whom PC gaming in general ≠ fun.

It definitely is an auto-conversion with a little bit of manual finish. Nothing was redrawn (which is understandable, the amount of art would cost 10 million nowadays), but after Grim Fandango they know what sales to expect and that they can't afford a high budget. Instead it's the other way around, lowest possible budget. Sadly a lot of detail is lost in the process, it now has the flair of a flash game. Characters are especially bad, they look out of place.

What detail has been lost in the process?

If anything, another poster's gripe with this remake was that it's too much identical to the original and that they should have added extra details (such as the text on the note above the washing machine).

Top Bottom