• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Michael Jordan as Darkseid

And Matt Reeves used to cosplay as Edward Nygma from Batman Forever
UhPCcMA.jpg

Boke1879

Seriously? Who cares if he acted with the others. He's a CG villain that pretty much only has to do a voice over.

I mean is that the cause for outrage?

GeeTeeCee

Even if you have a live action villain, when the time comes for the mandatory 3rd act fight scene they're going to be 95% CGI with a few close up reaction shots thrown in anyway.

I don't see the issue. Rocket Raccoon and Groot worked out just fine, and their principal actors were separate from the main cast too.

Even if you have a live action villain, when the time comes for the mandatory 3rd act fight scene they're going to be 95% CGI with a few close up reaction shots thrown in anyway.

I don't see the issue. Rocket Raccoon and Groot worked out just fine, and their principal actors were separate from the main cast too.

Maybe that's my problem. 3rd acts don't need to be that, imo. CBM or not. Yes, JL and all, but all movies so far were like that.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder Woman box office numbers breakdown... TLDR: She's fucking killing it

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...fice-nevertheless-she-persisted/#6b8870123f62

Some excerpts

The film has done so well, especially in North America, that I may have to pen a “Justice League doesn’t have to top Wonder Woman to be a hit” post in a few months. Having passed the domestic total of Deadpool ($363 million sans 3D and with an R-rating), it is the second-highest grossing comic book superhero movie ever without Batman, Iron Man or Spider-Man. And with a running total now ahead of Walt Disney and Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($368.7m versus $366m), Wonder Woman is all-but-sure to best the Marvel sequel to become the biggest domestic earner of the summer.

Heck, if it tops $410 million domestic, ahead of Spider-Man ($403m in 2002) and Iron Man 3 ($409m in 2013), it’ll be the third-biggest solo superhero movie ever behind Chris Nolan’s Dark Knight sequels. Now that’s no guarantee, as right now we seem to be looking at a $390m domestic total. But here’s the thing about the movie. It has continuously moved the goal post every day of its domestic release, from its $103.251m opening weekend (a whopping 2.71x multiplier, larger than any MCU movie) to its contentiously small weekend-to-weekend drops over the last six weeks.

Boke1879

I was indifferent about Ares. Don't think that fight sucked at all tbh. I thinkthe pre-release quotes about the 3rd act being disaster were overstated.

And clearly for WW no one gave a shit about it.

Penguin

I was indifferent about Ares. Don't think that fight sucked at all tbh. I thinkthe pre-release quotes about the 3rd act being disaster were overstated.

Honestly the goofiest part of Ares is he keeps the stache in his armored form

Because there is some good shit in it, too.
Steve Trevor.

If there's a CG villain, it has to be written/executed well. That's not a large leap of logic to make. We just have to hope that's the case for JL... and hope Wheedon can see any flaws and correct them.

But I do recognize the complaint about four CG villains so far... I do think it's time for a change-up. Don't think JL is the movie to do that though.

Ashhong

I didn't mind any of those fights =/ It's fucking superheroes with aliens and monsters. What else are they going to do? Marvel seems a bit easier to have non-CGI villains because their heroes are actually human.

ReiGun

We're hitting that point where "CG villain fight" is becoming an instant negative for some people. I do get it because a lot of these movies end that way. But also, for superheroes like Wonder Woman and The Avengers, it's kind of hard to do a smaller scale, more intimate affair.

J_Viper

We're hitting that point where "CG villain fight" is becoming an instant negative for some people. I do get it because a lot of these movies end that way. But also, for superheroes like Wonder Woman and The Avengers, it's kind of hard to do a smaller scale, more intimate affair.

The problem is the first Avengers pulled it off flawlessly, and any similarly huge closing set piece has failed to impress, even AoU. Hopefully Zackjoss will come through.

IconGrist

If you know someone as big as fucking Darkseid (size, not height) who can at least emote well (assuming voice over dialog) than I will gladly submit some of these movies don't need CGI villains. If not, it's best to just swallow that pill.

Ross61

Take with a grain of salt since it's both Screenrant and TheWrap but....

Prepare for another trip into the past of the DC Extended Universe — the first details about the setting for the sequel to “Wonder Woman” have emerged. TheWrap has confirmed that, like “Wonder Woman,” “Wonder Woman 2” will be a period piece, with Princess Diana facing off against the Soviet Union during the 1980s.

Screenrant, first reported the sequel’s setting.

DC Entertainment President Geoff Johns is currently developing “Wonder Woman 2’s” script with director Patty Jenkins, who is in talks to return.

Other details, including which characters from Wonder Woman lore may appear have not been revealed, but it’s notable that WB still has an option for Chris Pine, who played love interest Steve Trevor. Given that (Spoiler Alert) Trevor dies during the events of “Wonder Woman,” bringing him back might be a stretch, but then again the world in which it takes place features living gods from Greek mythology.
Source

Ninjimbo

If you know someone as big as fucking Darkseid (size, not height) who can at least emote well (assuming voice over dialog) than I will gladly submit some of these movies don't need CGI villains. If not, it's best to just swallow that pill.
*nods head in full agreement*

Since I want comic films to get weird and fantastical, CGI is pretty much needed. I made my peace with it.

Ashhong

Hasn't Patty said that WW2 would be set in modern times?

On the contrary, I could have sworn I read an interview saying it would also be in the past.

But it doesn't make sense with her "I swore off mankind a hundred years ago" thing

Actually, she says she swore them off at one point, but does that necessarily have to mean that she continued to swear them off until present time?

Its interesting thinking that if Wonder Woman swore off mankind for such a long period of time...that she witnessed the horrors of the genocide in WW2 and other atrocities.

Its a dark turn for such a hopeful character, but also strengthens how jaded she sounds in BvS.

Still, I want her portrayal in JL to be like how she was in WW. I don't care if that doesn't make sense. Its up to the writers to

giphy.gif

Ashhong

Well she's jaded in BvS, but that doesn't mean she has to be in JL. I don't think that would be an issue. Any further movies set before BvS though...in Patty we trust.

I'm still thinking they can make it like she was just saying "100 years ago, I swore off mankind because some bad shit went down..."

"...but then 10 years after some more shit went down and I had to help!"

Ninjimbo

Its interesting thinking that if Wonder Woman swore off mankind for such a long period of time...that she witnessed the horrors of the genocide in WW2 and other atrocities.

Its a dark turn for such a hopeful character, but also strengthens how jaded she sounds in BvS.

Still, I want her portrayal in JL to be like how she was in WW. I don't care if that doesn't make sense. Its up to the writers to

giphy.gif
I kind of want them to rid of the doe eyed naivety. That worked for an origin story but 100 years later should have a deeper effect on a person. I really like how she is in BvS: a seasoned veteran. She should be the one leading the team when Bruce ain't around.

Dead

well not really...yet

giphy.gif
The WW movie definitely informs her character in BvS pretty well already.

Seeing the look Diana gives Lois as she kneels over Clarks body (UC addition IIRC) and then depressingly lifts her head looking above is way more emotional when you know what happened with her and Steve.

Pachimari

Who can the Suicide Squad consist of in the sequel with Harley out in her own movie? I don't know anything about the group in the comics. I assume Deadshot, Killer Croc, Captain Boomerang, Katana, El Diablo and who else?

Top Bottom