• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

a916

Lol, only WB can get an actor as the Batman... and barely get two films out him...

This is bordering on embarrassing. I loved BVS and MOS and WW.... but just Flashpoint this all and get someone who's willing to actually be the Batman...

Y'all are being weird about this. So is the Hollywood Reporter article, tbh. Moving away from Affleck doesn't mean that he's never gonna be putting on the costume again.

Transitioning to a different actor doesn't require a reboot, Flashpoint event, or even an unexplained recast. They can hand off the cowl on camera to another character.

Dick Bats is gonna be the end game of all this, mark my words.

jackdoe

Y'all are being weird about this. So is the Hollywood Reporter article, tbh. Moving away from Affleck doesn't mean that he's never gonna be putting on the costume again.

Transitioning to a different actor doesn't require a reboot, Flashpoint event, or even an unexplained recast. They can hand off the cowl on camera to another character.

Dick Bats is gonna be the end game of all this, mark my words.
I want Dick Bats. And I want Bucky Cap. Hopefully we get both for a repeat of history.

a916

I like this, I like this a lot.

The first Batman movie and we're already phasing out Bruce Wayne... this sounds so god damn terrible.

Cast someone who can play Batman and and ignore Affleck... Dick Grayson running around as Batman means no Nightwing, and no Bruce Wayne... so disappointing hearing this.

Cheebo

Banned
Fuck Hollywood Reporter for dropping this now. They will harass him at CC.
Since when are reporters supposed to care how it impacts a studio or an actor? You report what you have when you have it and trust the source. Period. That is the only thing that matters. Reporters aren't supposed to be fans or act like
fans.

Video Games are the only media form where the journalists care how their reporting impacts those they are reporting on, and that is nothing to be proud of. Should a NYTimes worry they are upsetting Trump when reporting on Russia? Of course not. Same applies to all types of reporters.

You don't work for WB, it makes no difference to you when this is reported my man. Let the Hollywood Reporter do their job as top class media reporters.

Boke1879

Also good news about Shazam. Rock doesn't need to be in the first movie. You can have him in a sequel. Dude isn't even a big box office draw.

Honestly it could be a blessing in disguise, for Affleck and the DCEU. He has his personal problems to sort out. WB is loyal to its talent and will want to keep him happy for when he's ready to work again. Holding him to a contract and not having him committed to the role maybe isn't the best. So we'll see.

As said in the other thread, giving Matt Reeves as much space to define his Batman is for the best, too.

a916

This is the less-bad story of the day. They wanted to do Shazam! ASAP and Dwayne's schedule just wouldn't allow for that. At least he's still on for the Black Adam solo film

I don't understand why they are in such a rush... especially without The Rock.

What's so big about Shazam that it has to leap frog everyone else?

Honestly it could be a blessing in disguise, for Affleck and the DCEU. He has his personal problems to sort out. WB is loyal to its talent and will want to keep him happy for when he's ready to work again. Holding him to a contract and not having him committed to the role maybe isn't the best. So we'll see.

As said in the other thread, giving Matt Reeves as much space to define his Batman is for the best, too.

It's a giant L for WB. They aren't even 2 movies in with Batman and are planning on ushering him out. Imagine if RDJ stepped out after IM2

The first Batman movie and we're already phasing out Bruce Wayne... this sounds so god damn terrible.

Cast someone who can play Batman and and ignore Affleck... Dick Grayson running around as Batman means no Nightwing, and no Bruce Wayne... so disappointing hearing this.

I don't get it. Why is this terrible? Dick was Batman for ages and widely adored in the role. Why do we believe audiences will think differently?

And this'll be the third movie with Batman in it as a major character in this continuity.

a916

I don't get it. Why is this terrible? Dick was Batman for ages and widely adored in the role. Why do we believe audiences will think differently?

And this'll be the third movie with Batman in it as a major character in this continuity.

A Batman without Bruce Wayne is not muh Batman.... not to mention it takes away from the character I want to see most in the Batfamily, Nightwing.

Raptor

I like this, I like this a lot.

I don't understand why they are in such a rush... especially without The Rock.

What's so big about Shazam that it has to leap frog everyone else?

It's a giant L for WB. They aren't even 2 movies in with Batman and are planning on ushering him out. Imagine if RDJ stepped out after IM2

Obviously not on the same level as the goddamn Batman, but Edward Norton was recast after his Hulk and Terrance Howard as Rhodes.

A Batman without Bruce Wayne is not muh Batman.... not to mention it takes away from the character I want to see most in the Batfamily, Nightwing.

I just don't see it, honestly. If comic fans could accept the change, the most stiff-necked and ridiculous group of people on earth, general audiences will be able to roll with it. Especially if Dick is well executed prior to the transition.

While I lean more towards the possibility that Warner Bros will probably try to recast Affleck first, I'd love to see DickBat on the big screen. Especially if he's the main protagonist of the Reeves trilogy.

As for Chris McKay's Nightwing film, I threw this idea out there in the main thread...

Actually thinking more on it... What if WB make their cake and eat it too?

Have Batfleck pass the mantle down to Dick Grayson for the Reeves Batman trilogy and then introduce Tim Drake as the new Nightwing. It'd be a divergence from the comics, but honestly I think a "Tim as Nightwing" film is more likely to sell than a "Red Robin" film would.

a916

I just don't see it, honestly. If comic fans could accept the change, the most stiff-necked and ridiculous group of people on earth, general audiences will be able to roll with it. Especially if Dick is well executed prior to the transition.

Oh I'm speaking for my self only right now, I really don't want them writing out the Bruce Wayne character this early into the formation of the JL.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
they'll probably just recast him. Marvel already did it with Hulk when it went from Ed Norton to Mark Ruffalo, nothing was missed.

While I lean more towards the possibility that Warner Bros will probably try to recast Affleck first, I'd love to see DickBat on the big screen. Especially if he's the main protagonist of the Reeves trilogy.

As for Chris McKay's Nightwing film, I threw this idea out there in the main thread...

This is how I see it going down if they don't wholly recast Affleck like nothing happened (sorry, Flashpoint isn't being wasted on addressing one cast member bowing out of the universe).

This is how I see it going down if they don't wholly recast Affleck like nothing happened (sorry, Flashpoint isn't being wasted on addressing one cast member bowing out of the universe).

Agreed. I feel like it's either going to be a straightforward recast for Bruce or they're going to go with DickBat. I just don't see them trying something as bonkers as Flashpoint only to usher out Affleck and smooth over any retcons for the DCEU Bruce, especially prior to the Reeves film.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
they are not going to go with DickBat guys, they'll just recast him.

Bruce Wayne is too big to not have in a DC Cinematic Universe.

Superman's coffin is spacious

IY2Sm6C.jpg

a916

Flashpoint would be a way to reboot everything and go with the Johns plan... it would be an easy copout for them. Flash to the 90s or so, after WW1.

Recast. Don't give him his worthy movie. Honestly, not really in the mood to watch a movie with an actor receiven 20M+ and then leaving, nah. Bye Ben.

I know you had it rough man, but you could have quit way earlier.

Maddocks

We might see a dick bats for a movie, but that's never long term. WB would want to keep it Bruce Wayne forever and while they might dabble in it once, I don't see them doing it long term. it's even hard to imagine them doing it just once too.

bryanee

I'd recast him if he wants out. I'd do it before The Batman as well, get the new guy in asap. No need for Dick or any Flaspoint shit this early.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, this whole news day just depressed the shit out of me today. Was so looking forward to tomorrow and all the announcements. No Rock in Shazam and Ben might not even be in "The Batman", garbage tier all around.

I'd recast him if he wants out. I'd do it before The Batman as well, get the new guy in asap. No need for Dick or any Flaspoint shit this early.

Actually, re-reading that Hollywood Reporter article again, I noticed this...

But a source with knowledge of the situation says that the studio is working on plans to usher out Affleck’s Batman — gracefully, addressing the change in some shape or form in one of the upcoming DC films.

So if that's true, then yeah, I'd say that almost definitely means a straight recast is out and it's either between DickBat or Flashpoint.

You don't "gracefully address a change" in an upcoming film if it's just a basic recast. That implies either Bruce is changing in some very distinct way beyond just not being played by Ben Affleck anymore or it's someone else who will be donning the cowl.

Actually, re-reading that Hollywood Reporter article again, I noticed this...

So if that's true, then yeah, I'd say that almost definitely means a straight recast is out and it's either between DickBat or Flashpoint.

You don't "gracefully address a change" in an upcoming film if it's just a basic recast. That implies either Bruce is changing in some very distinct way beyond just not being played by Ben Affleck anymore or it's someone else who will be donning the cowl.

Graceful would also imply not turning the entire cinematic universe on its head with a Flashpoint event.

Pachimari

They should use the Flashpoint and build the DCEU around the Young Justice and make the core of said universe be the Gotham Academy. Hire up and coming 20 year olds and make them sign 7-picture deals. Maybe hire Matt Damon as Green Arrow as this godly and ancient superhero these Young Justice kids look up to. Hire Jake Gyllenhaal as Jimmy Olson as the point of view for the audience. There's huge potential in this, probably a $700 million franchise in Green Arrow alone. Bigger universal appeal than let's say a Man of Steel 2 since he isn't well known in Europe. Don't title the movies after Batgirl, Robin, Kid Flash or any of them either, but title the movies after events. Worth a smashing $1 billion cinematic universe franchise.

Theorry

Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Entertainment are developing a live-action film pitting Harley Quinn against The Joker, Screen Rant has learned. This project is set within the DCEU and is addition to the Suicide Squad sequel (Jaume Collet-Serra is reportedly in the running to direct) and the in-development Gotham City Sirens which sees Margot Robbie’s Quinn in another feature directed by David Ayer.

Both Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) and The Joker (Jared Leto) were first introduced in 2016’s Suicide Squad directed by Ayer, and both stars are attached to return for Harley Quinn vs The Joker.

The project is described as a spinoff and Geoff Johns is set to produce. No story details or production dates have been set as of yet, but it’s possible we learn more during the Warner Bros. panel at San Diego’s Comic-Con International tomorrow where they kick off the big day in the convention center’s Hall H.

http://screenrant.com/harley-quinn-vs-joker-movie-spinoff/

Pachimari

I love the sound of that. The more Harley Quinn movies the happier I am! And it sounds more interesting than both GCS and SS2. But I'll believe it when they announce it.

Top Bottom