• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

J_Viper

More from Big Ben regarding his casting

“My status remains what it always is,” the star explains. “I’ve done the two movies. I’ve always intended on doing a third if Warners wants to make it. Certainly, if the Batphone rings, I will answer.”

He blames some of the reports on his decision to step down from directorial duties on The Batman, which occurred in January of this year. “It’s such a big job, in terms of the stunts and the suit and the action and the character. Trying to do that, and direct, would probably be too much. Something would be compromised. I think it came off, optically, to the broader world, like lack of interest or enthusiasm. When in fact I love this character.”

Affleck also broadcast his support for the studio’s choice of director for The Batman. “I think getting Matt Reeves to come in and do it is really, really exciting,” he says.

Rumors have swirled that the War for the Planet of the Apes filmmaker wants to use The Batman as a springboard to a trilogy. Says Affleck, “Matt hasn’t really unveiled his full vision yet. He wanted to wait until Apes came out, and he was obviously consumed with that. So I’m looking forward to hearing what his story is.”

“I’d love to do it as long as they’ll have me,” he concludes. “Eventually it’ll be somebody else, and I’m sure they’ll get somebody great. But while I’m doing it, I’m going to do the best job I can, and really appreciate how lucky I am.”

Source:

http://ew.com/movies/2017/07/22/ben...l&xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Most of those rumors were BS. Patty Jenkins talked about how aggravating it was to read nonsense people were spreading and having to stop herself from commenting on it.

But even so WW has done far better than I expected it to. That it might end up the biggest domestic superhero movie this year is kinda crazy, especially when it's the lowest budget after Logan.

I mean, it might end up the highest grossing domestic superhero origin, finally topping Spider-Man's run after 15 years.
Yeah, it was all crap. I hope those guys who spread it owned up to it.

Ashhong

Someone on reddit created a high res version of this with no text using all the variations of the poster released.

wnN1A4m.jpg

Can someone photoshop Batman's eyes to be white?

I don't know, not definitive enough for me. Dude is a proven liar!

Ashhong

No I agree, the black eyes make him look more menacing. But the white would have made it more iconic looking. I think it would work just as well =P

Gal needs to look tougher though

One thing DC is still killing all competition with is the sheer presence and displays of strength when using their superpowers.

Diana busting through that door was dope.

trailer itself is eh. like on paper this and Infinity War should be so hype but after watching all 3 trailers I honestly think Thor 3 looks like the most fun movie to watch out of them.

still i'm looking forward to this because it's the justice league. and the roster and cast is flames except for cyborg. momoa looks like such a bro as aquaman I love that.

I have my concerns with Thor Ragnarok, too, but I could see liking it most out of the three for Cate Blanchett hamming it up as Hela and Taika potentially surprising me. For now Black Panther is the one I'm really looking forward to.

That said, I'll be there day one for JL and Avengers Infinity War. Both kinda seem like clusterfucks of CGI battles filmed on sound stages, but whatever. Snyder makes cool looking superhero battles and the Russos are no slouch if they can recapture the Civil War airport scene.

Thor is going to be good because they have a great director and lots of actors with great comedic timing. The skits he made with him are proof enough, tbh.

So The Batman is the third film on his contract. Intriguing.

Reeves will save the Batfleck.

Lets be real. Nothing will be definitive until The Batman starts shooting and Ben in is int hat costume or not.

I mean, even the rumor was post-The Batman replacement. Which is the end of his three-film deal. Just depends on if he and WB want to keep going. I suspect Justice League will factor into that.

J_Viper

I think it's totally possible for Ragnarok to turn out better than JL. That was an excellent trailer.

So The Batman is the third film on his contract. Intriguing.

Reeves will save the Batfleck.

I mean, even the rumor was post-The Batman replacement. Which is the end of his three-film deal. Just depends on if he and WB want to keep going. I suspect Justice League will factor into that.

That's what I'm wondering

Is it possible for a post-Flashpoint JL sequel to have a new actor cast as Batman? Would a JL2 even need Batman when they have WW to lead the pack?

Honestly, we don't deserve Jeremy Irons and J.K. Simmons.

Like holy crap man. Everytime I look at this cast in the DCEU I am like goddamn. Then I think about their output and cry myself to sleep.

Loxley

Like holy crap man. Everytime I look at this cast in the DCEU I am like goddamn. Then I think about their output and cry myself to sleep.

DC films have almost always been blessed with amazing casts. There are times I have to remind myself that there was a Superman film that had Gene Hackman, Glenn Ford, and Marlon-Freaking-Brando.

Jeremy Irons is at the point of his career where he'll do anything for money, I mean his last movie was Assassin's Creed. If he didn't sign up as Alfred, he would have signed up as a side character in some other franchise. I'm sure he doesn't care as long as he's receving a paycheck. I bet both of them are enjoying being part of a big budget movie.

While I think the lightning can be toned down for The Flash, I really love the look and effects of his speed. How the space around him distorts, the sparks when he takes off, the smoke from his armor when he stops, and the noise it makes when he takes off.

Jeremy Irons is at the point of his career where he'll do anything for money, I mean his last movie was Assassin's Creed. If he didn't sign up as Alfred, he would have signed up as a side character in some other franchise. I'm sure he doesn't care as long as he's receving a paycheck. I bet both of them are enjoying being part of a big budget movie.

Does it matter if Irons cares when he delivers a stellar performance? I don't know why you brought that up.

a916

Yeah, I think that if he just gets in a Batman role that's critically praised, it will lift his spirits and make him want to do more.

Also, it'll be a lot less stress since Reeves is handling everything that Affleck was supposed to do save for the acting. I still think he's done and this is just PR...

Does it matter if Irons cares when he delivers a stellar performance? I don't know why you brought that up.
I just mean that starring in these movies aren't really beneath them. Cheer up man lol, maybe you'll end up liking JL more than all the previous entries. You weren't big on what they unveiled yesterday?

Ashhong

I really think you guys are wrong about this one. All the rumors and memes of sad Affleck have clouded your minds. The dude could not sound more excited to be Batman, and no it's not the same as him dropping out of directing. Think about how big of a job that would have been.

I also want to point out, the THR rumor makes no mention of what Ben wants. It specifically says WB wants him out. If that's the case, well, nothing I can say. But I really really don't think it's Ben that wants out, especially due to the movies reception.

That being said, who knows at this point lol

I really think you guys are wrong about this one. All the rumors and memes of sad Affleck have clouded your minds. The dude could not sound more excited to be Batman, and no it's not the same as him dropping out of directing. Think about how big of a job that would have been.

I also want to point out, the THR rumor makes no mention of what Ben wants. It specifically says WB wants him out. If that's the case, well, nothing I can say. But I really really don't think it's Ben that wants out, especially due to the movies reception.

I mean, what's there to be wrong about? It's a report. It's plausible, especially given its a THR report. Don't believe it completely, don't disbelieve it completely. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hollywood is business. Things change. I'm never sure of anything, otherwise, we'd have a Flash film from Seth Grahame-Smith or Rick Famuyiwa, a Batman film written and directed by Affleck, or any other number of changes unrelated to the DC Extended Universe or Warner Bros.

My statement has always been this: Just because Affleck says he's on, doesn't mean it's true, for various reasons folk have already pointed to. That has little to do with where anyone lands on these rumors or statements.

https://twitter.com/BatmanNewsCom/status/889275537042100230

Momoa continues being an amazing dude. He's comforting a kid over Supes being dead.

Momoa has been amazing since Stargate. Glad he's getting the lead roles now.

I'm happy they're letting Momoa play Arthur Curry as himself. He's been boxed into to playing a certain type of quiet brute and there was the worry he'd play Aquaman that way. From what we've seen, that ain't so; his Aquaman is bro and metal. Surfing on parademons and all.

Apparently he's like that in the Aquaman footage they didn't release. I'm disappointed nobody got a picture of Black Manta.

I really doubt it would be WB who wants him out to be honest....for all the problems BvS had, Affleck's performance wasn't one. A lot of people liked his Batman, and any criticism the character gets it's usually how he was written, which goes beyond the actor's control.

Either way, I'm counting on him to star in Reeve's Batman at least, considering he's still bound by his contract for one more movie I think . After that one it's done, we'll see....

shingi70

Banned
People are gonna be disappointed when flashpoint doesn't recon anything.

No Cyborg movie on hr docket was disappointing. I like Fisher and want hikmto get a solo or lead man in a Titans movie.

People are gonna be disappointed when flashpoint doesn't recon anything.

No Cyborg movie on hr docket was disappointing. I like Fisher and want hikmto get a solo or lead man in a Titans movie.

I agree, people are putting too much faith on the Flashpoint movie as if it will solve all the problems people have with the DCEU.

I predict it will be as faithfull as Civil War was to its original comic

And Ray deserves his solo movie for sure, his love for the character really shows.

DC films have almost always been blessed with amazing casts. There are times I have to remind myself that there was a Superman film that had Gene Hackman, Glenn Ford, and Marlon-Freaking-Brando.

Yeah man. Marlon Brando alone is the highest bar for other actors so getting him in a Superman movie is/was a really big deal

Anyways kinda meh on these big teamup movies after seeing both Avengers. This looks like it has better action and characters I like more but at the end of the day it seems like the same thing.

Really happy with all the characters and casting tho aside from Cyborg. Aquaman looks like such a bro

I hope he we start to hear more concrete news about Batman soon. I think Reeves left alone has the potential to make a top 5 CBM easy. Wonder if he uses the joker too

Anyways kinda meh on these big teamup movies after seeing both Avengers. This looks like it has better action and characters I like more but at the end of the day it seems like the same thing.

I mean, there's only so much you can do in a team-up film when you're juggling that many characters. Even huge ensemble films like Seven Samurai only broadly sketch out the characters beyond the two or three leads. Avengers and Justice League partially work because the legwork, for good or for ill, was done in preceding films.

Part of me feels bad for Ray Fisher, but at the same time Cyborg is the first time I'll see the guy in a role. It's hard to have expectations when he's an unknown. Doesn't help that Cyborg seems dour in what we've seen so far.

I mean, there's only so much you can do in a team-up film when you're juggling that many characters. Even huge ensemble films like Seven Samurai only broadly sketch out the characters beyond the two or three leads. Avengers and Justice League partially work because the legwork, for good or for ill, was done in preceding films.

Oh I'm definitely not against ensemble movies. Love stuff like Seven Samurai and Oceans Eleven

It's just the Avengers has already soured me on the big superhero movie team up films. Although that's thanks to Whedon

And while I am digging these trailers it feels fairly similar to those movies. With the same big brute and his henchman and massive action scenes etc. That's just how it goes tho, it's hard to really switch a story like this up

It lives or dies on their interactions and downtime imo. I hope Aquaman and Flash get a lot of time for dat banter

Edit: Justin Lin would be amazing for a justice league movie actually cuz I think that dude made the best action ensemble movie of the decade with fast 5

Ross61

It kinda ironic how several OT posters were clamoring for the universe to be rebooted and pointed at Flashpoint but now that Flashpoint has been announced it's now,"Flashpoint this soon?! Lmao this universe is a mess!".

So fickle.

Shouldn't have even announced that in the slate until they were sure about it and had a director and/or writers lined up

It just puts the casting of Ben Affleck in doubt for a while now until Batman is finally in production.

Also do we know for sure that it is replacing the flash solo? There's a few movies not on that list that actually are happening like Gotham city sirens

IconGrist

It kinda ironic how several OT posters were clamoring for the universe to be rebooted and pointed at Flashpoint but now that Flashpoint has been announced it's now,"Flashpoint this soon?! Lmao this universe is a mess!".

So fickle.

Glad that wasn't just me who noticed that, lol.

Ashhong

I mean, what's there to be wrong about? It's a report. It's plausible, especially given its a THR report. Don't believe it completely, don't disbelieve it completely. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hollywood is business. Things change. I'm never sure of anything, otherwise, we'd have a Flash film from Seth Grahame-Smith or Rick Famuyiwa, a Batman film written and directed by Affleck, or any other number of changes unrelated to the DC Extended Universe or Warner Bros.

My statement has always been this: Just because Affleck says he's on, doesn't mean it's true, for various reasons folk have already pointed to. That has little to do with where anyone lands on these rumors or statements.

Momoa has been amazing since Stargate. Glad he's getting the lead roles now.

tI'm alking about people saying Ben wants out and how it depends on how JL does. The report doesn't even make one mention of that. Like you said though, nothing is ever certain.

So fickle.

I mean, you're always going to a handful of boring weirdos who'll hate on everything sight unseen. Ain't worth getting bothered by. The vast majority of posters are open minded about these things and have actual personalities.

Thing about Flashpoint is, the door is there to reboot some stuff but it's essentially a story like Back to the Future. We're at a point where titles don't reflect the source material. From Days of Futures Past to Civil War to Logan to Age of Ultron and so on. So it's wait and see.

Maddocks

With Shazam getting its director, I do hope we start getting casting news very soon.

Then we have the other big casting news we need to see...Justice League Dark, Green Lantern Corps...

Top Bottom