• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Boke1879

Yeah onscreen credit. Sure. But how many comments am I going to be reading about Whedon salvaging the project? I feel like this is a narrative that's already forming and if JL ends up being a hit, what's stopping people from crediting Whedon instead of Snyder?

I don't know what happened with Rogue One's reception, but were people crediting Edwards or Gilroy for its success?

I think with Rogue One people were just hyped after seeing it. Don't think people really gave anyone credit so to speak.

But that said. Who cares if you see someone be it here, reviewer etc. Give Whedon a nod. You can't let that bother you.

a916

LOqmXr56_zps9945166d.jpg~original

It just works man.

God damn, Kal's long lost twin brother

Ninjimbo

I think with Rogue One people were just hyped after seeing it. Don't think people really gave anyone credit so to speak.

But that said. Who cares if you see someone be it here, reviewer etc. Give Whedon a nod. You can't let that bother you.
Oh it's going to bother me. Big time. It already bugs me that Snyder gets eviscerated for putting out the best capeflick of all time. Imagine him getting no credit for putting out a crowd pleaser like JL looks to be. Imma go nuts.

Boke1879

I have no issues with what I read. if Whedon wants more character moments/dialogue I'm all for it. If he wants to add more connective tissue. Great.

It's not his first rodeo doing this.

Yeah onscreen credit. Sure. But how many comments am I going to be reading about Whedon salvaging the project? I feel like this is a narrative that's already forming and if JL ends up being a hit, what's stopping people from crediting Whedon instead of Snyder?

I don't know what happened with Rogue One's reception, but were people crediting Edwards or Gilroy for its success?
That narrative probably formed the second Whedon came on board tbh. It might strangely help the movie's reception where the Snyder detractors believe the movie's changed for the better when the changes made might not be very monumental. I do believe that Whedon will get more credit if the movie ends up being successful though.

If I could use a sports analogy, a coach who takes over for a fired one always gets credit if the team finds success after the swap even if you see the team dynamic really hasn't changed.

edit: should correct fired to replaced by unforeseen circumstances to be more fair

Boke1879

That narrative probably formed the second Whedon came on board tbh. It might strangely help the movie's reception where the Snyder detractors believe the movie's changed for the better when the changes made might not be very monumental. I do believe that Whedon will get more credit if the movie ends up being successful though.

If I could use a sports analogy, a coach who takes over for a fired one always gets credit if the team finds success after the swap even if you see the team dynamic really hasn't changed.

Pretty much this.

edit: should correct fired to replaced by unforeseen circumstances to be more fair
Sure, Snyder wasn't fired though. That analogy doesn't feel right here.

Boke1879

Its an honest question, also if you think WB a billionarie conglomerate cares for that stuff you are being naive.

It's been said WB is pretty loyal. They've worked with Snyder for a while. I mean after BvS they could have easily fired him before starting JL.

He came out and said he needed some personal time. I believe that.

Now I hope I don't sound insensitive saying this. But this does allow WB to go in a different direction after this movie is out.

I'm sure Snyder is standing on the balcony of his 5,000 square foot home, shaking his fist in the direction of the Warner Bros backlot, screaming: "They color corrected my Wonder Woman shot. YOU MOTHER FUCKERS!!!"

Its an honest question, also if you think WB a billionarie conglomerate cares for that stuff you are being naive.
You are wrong here. She commited suicide in March and he kept working on it. You show the proof that he got fired or just keep silent.

Edit: Also what Boke said.

Dead

well not really...yet
Should be noted the film is being produced by Snyder's Crual and Unusual studio. I very much doubt there is leeway in their contract to straight up fire Snyder.

The most probable outcome is it is a combination of Snyder's personal loss and his willlingess to compromise with the studio in order to maintain good relations.

He realizes his personal vision is at odds with what the general public wants and he wants to deliver a movie that will appeal to the fan base, as he is a fan himself, hence going to Whedon to ask for help in order to bring to the movie what he himself is not capable of doing on his own... his sensibilities will always lean to the darker stuff, that's just who he is as a creator. Had to be said that Snyder is credited solely for Story Credit, so whatever Terrio has written is based in his original outline. I have no doubt that if it weren't for his loss he would be in charge of these reshoots himself while working closely with Joss in order to make the movie that he thinks will please the fans the most.

His words were very candid, he said he doesn't care what the media will make of what's happening and he laid out in his own words what is taking place, it's just only now that the rags are sensationalizing the story as they always do.

No one credits anyone there, because they mostly just enjoy the film. Hell, most folks don't know Gilroy did the reshoots.

Folks may know more about this since A) this is Joss Whedon and B) the jury's still out on how well Whedon can ape Snyder's style, meaning to may be easier to see his pickup scenes.

In the wash, it doesn't matter. The average person won't care. Snyder's name is going on it. I wouldn't worry about it.

You know this how?

They wont say "we just fired the director"

Snyder is still high in the WB-DC space. He kept working after his daughter die. Their statements on the matter pretty much track.

I need to just stop clicking on Gal Gadot threads in OT.

I mean, it's one of those things where she said one dumb thing years ago, but it's like, people twist it to stay willfully ignorant about times she's spoken about peace. There's some sketchiness to those types but everybody has their tolerances for how they feel about divorcing actors from characters, and that's totally fair. But if you're the type of person who'd run up to an 11-year-old girl, telling her not to idolize a fictional character because of something dumb the actor said on social media, that's just kinda pathetic.

Ashhong

No one credits anyone there, because they mostly just enjoy the film. Hell, most folks don't know Gilroy did the reshoots.

Folks may know more about this since A) this is Joss Whedon and B) the jury's still out on how well Whedon can ape Snyder's style, meaning to may be easier to see his pickup scenes.

In the wash, it doesn't matter. The average person won't care. Snyder's name is going on it. I wouldn't worry about it.

I think this picture pretty much sums up what Ninjimbo is talking about. It probably shouldn't matter, but reading this kind of junk still irks me.

8FvDvb5.png

In fairness, I'm sure you'll see the opposite as well where negative aspects are attributed to Joss. Maybe to a much smaller degree, but it's just one of those things that'll surround this movie. A little like the situation around Ant-Man.

Ninjimbo

Well, when I'm talking about credit, I'm not taking the average person into account. I'm taking into account my fellow movie geeks and water cooler people who are interested in the topic. Zack has been treated pretty badly over the years for making pretty "okay" movies at worst. Last year it all went to shit when BvS came out and things got really out of control with people taking shots at him and at his family. Things went more than a little too far. What's worse is that he probably made the best film of his career and it went by unnoticed largely because WB decided to release a butchered version of the film. That, and most people simply weren't ready for it.

So, just as a fan of his work, I want to see him stop being everybody's punching bag and go to example for everything wrong with Hollywood filmmaking. If JL is the movie that endears him back to our little circle of elitist movie jerks, I'd be happy. Don't give Whedon credit for polishing it up.

ReiGun

What's more likely: Cyborg saying "Booyah!" or Aquaman saying "Outrageous!"?

Also, I continue to be tickled at just how salty people are Cyborg is in this movie. Mainly because for all the bitching from old dudes online, there's probably a ton of kids who are hyped as hell to see him in live action.

What's more likely: Cyborg saying "Booyah!" or Aquaman saying "Outrageous!"?

Also, I continue to be tickled at just how salty people are Cyborg is in this movie. Mainly because for all the bitching from old dudes online, there's probably a ton of kids who are hyped as hell to see him in live action.

My 10 year old is one. Loved TTGO so he loves Cyborg. My old ass just doesn't think he's founding member of the league material.

I know Cyborg existed before the cartoons but my main exposure is from the cartoons. Khary Payton's portrayal of Cyborg is as representative of the character as much as Kevin Conroy/Batman, Mark Hamill/Joker, Clancy Brown/Lex Luthor to me.

Mariolee

I know Cyborg existed before the cartoons but my main exposure is from the cartoons. Khary Payton's portrayal of Cyborg is as representative of the character as much as Kevin Conroy/Batman, Mark Hamill/Joker, Clancy Brown/Lex Luthor to me.

This. I was really hoping he'd have a lot more fun with the character like in Teen Titans but he feels really mopey. Like I thought Cyborg and The Flash in this movie would have the relationship Cyborg and Beast Boy had in Teen Titans. Seems like Aqua Man will take over the dudebro role tho.

Top Bottom