• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

El Maybe is claiming Affleck's Batman would've been The Game (Fincher's movie with Michael Douglas) with Deathstroke messing with Bruce the entire movie. Which if anything reads more like Riddler, Hush, or Bane than Deathstroke. But who knows. It's El Maybe claiming this, and Reeves is doing his thing.

El Maybe is claiming Affleck's Batman would've been The Game (Fincher's movie with Michael Douglas) with Deathstroke messing with Bruce the entire movie. Which if anything reads more like Riddler, Hush, or Bane than Deathstroke. But who knows. It's El Maybe claiming this, and Reeves is doing his thing.

That... That doesn't sound like a great idea.

Bleepey

Shit that sounds awesome. It's like Arkham origins

It's still fucked up, and not even the most fucked up thing that happen in that book. I still love it tho.

Oh, it's not CLOSE to the most fucked-up thing that happens in that book. If they used Priest's Deathstroke as a template, or made the character come out like that independently, the plot above would totally work.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Ayer Tweeted this about an hour ago

DJ4iPy6V4AAXRmD.jpg:large

Ross61

You're gonna be really mad when he ends up directing it.
Hey, I'd love for him to get another chance and prove himself even though I would prefer a female director. But trade rumors are looking like DC/WB wants the guy gone, and the exec that kept hiring him was replaced last year. He's basically free, we could've had GCS ready for 2018 or 19 but it's been nothing on that front.

Ninjimbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-k-tQxJv8o

Have you guys seen this video? It gives another perspective to BvS that I didn't even think about.
First time I've seen it, but it's something that a lot of people talk about. The brilliance of BvS is in the details: the citizens witnessing the destruction of Metropolis, the mother of the killed inmate, the media montage discussing Superman's role in society. Basically, BvS has top tier world building, and like the video says, the film benefits tremendously from it. Certain moments gain more impact because of the added context and the framing of those events.

This video also reminds me why I think BvS and CW shouldn't even be compared. They handle similar plot points too differently to warrant a comparison. They have different goals.

Bleepey

First time I've seen it, but it's something that a lot of people talk about. The brilliance of BvS is in the details: the citizens witnessing the destruction of Metropolis, the mother of the killed inmate, the media montage discussing Superman's role in society. Basically, BvS has top tier world building, and like the video says, the film benefits tremendously from it. Certain moments gain more impact because of the added context and the framing of those events.

This video also reminds me why I think BvS and CW shouldn't even be compared. They handle similar plot points too differently to warrant a comparison. They have different goals.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this? I do think the two films are worth comparing to each other. IMO, the reason people criticise BVS a lot more than CW is because 1) tone 2) the MCU is more of a blank canvas and 3) DCEU deconstructing 4) theatrical cut.

I would've loved to see that personally

J_Viper

This could have been in post-production right now

god damn it all

Ninjimbo

Can you elaborate a bit more on this? I do think the two films are worth comparing to each other. IMO, the reason people criticise BVS a lot more than CW is because 1) tone 2) the MCU is more of a blank canvas and 3) DCEU deconstructing 4) theatrical cut.
I think the video outlines it better than I can, but I'll try. Basically, I think the two films, while sharing some story beats and some themes, have different purposes. BvS is just the second in a line of films that are supposed to be setting up a universe and CW is like 11th film in an already established film universe. BvS is all introductions and CW is about wrapping up and advancing its storylines.

I think when you view them like that, it's kinda hard to really compare them. The video states it best with how CW puts the focus on its characters because the story is really all about them. BvS puts the focus on everyone else rather than its primary character (Superman). As a result one film feels smaller and more personal while the other feels like a sweeping epic.

I think there's more to BvS that separates it from CW than just tone. Deconstruction is also part of it like you said.

Those are just some of things that run through my mind.

The latest of people reading into Twitter happenings,

Chris McKay, Nightwing's director, started following Finn Wittrock. Then Finn Wittrock liked a photo of himself as Nightwing,

Now, Chris McKay follows about 2000 people. And actors often like photoshops of them as their next paycheck vehicle. So, make of that what you will.

J_Viper

I admire McKay's passion, but dude is counting his chickens before they hatch

I don't see Nightwing starting production for a good long while, if it ends up being made at all

Ross61

I admire McKay's passion, but dude is counting his chickens before they hatch

I don't see Nightwing starting production for a good long while, if it ends up being made at all

He's already signed on and working actively working on the script with the writer. It'll probably be dated at 2020. It's getting made, WB ain't passing on that Nightwing/Batfamily money.

But I doubt Nightwing has been cast yet.

Neophant

I still think Nightwing is going to end up being something exclusive that'll be released on the DC streaming service coming out next year...just don't see it as some sort of big budget theatrical release. It can and should still be part of the DCEU, but unless the movie has big names attached or if the story can allow for something with spectacle and fare, I just don't see it being released if all the marketing is going to be "Remember Batman had a sidekick? Well he's all grown up".

Nightwing doesn't need to be a $150M blockbuster. It'd be nice if WB let these DC properties work at lower budgets, how Fox is handling some of their Marvel properties.

If you look at John Wick 2, Baby Driver, The Accountant, yeah, they're not making $500M but at ~$40M budgets they manage to be successful. And you never know if it ends up like Deadpool and there's a huge return on a modest investment.

So looking at it that way, they don't need a huge production cycle and they can slot it in whenever. It could be September/October 2018 or like February 2019.

Bleepey

I think the video outlines it better than I can, but I'll try. Basically, I think the two films, while sharing some story beats and some themes, have different purposes. BvS is just the second in a line of films that are supposed to be setting up a universe and CW is like 11th film in an already established film universe. BvS is all introductions and CW is about wrapping up and advancing its storylines.

I think when you view them like that, it's kinda hard to really compare them. The video states it best with how CW puts the focus on its characters because the story is really all about them. BvS puts the focus on everyone else rather than its primary character (Superman). As a result one film feels smaller and more personal while the other feels like a sweeping epic.

I think there's more to BvS that separates it from CW than just tone. Deconstruction is also part of it like you said.

Those are just some of things that run through my mind.

OK, I can see what you mean but I disagree. Here's a Fun article!:

https://hiddenremote.com/2016/06/13/batman-v-superman-actually-better-movie-civil-war/

Sambrez_

‘Shazam’ Filming In Toronto Between February & May Of Next Year

https://heroichollywood.com/shazam-filming-toronto-february-may/

Last month, director David Sandberg confirmed he would be moving right into pre-production work on Shazam after his latest film titled Annabelle: Creation. Now, What’s Filming has revealed that principal photography on the DC film is scheduled to take place in Toronto, Ontario between February and May of 2018.

Dedicated to informing readers on the latest film and television productions filming in Canadian cities, What’s Filming currently lists Shazam as scheduled to film in Toronto from February 5 to May 4 of 2018. Last week, the working title for Shazam was revealed to be Franklin, a possible reference to Benjamin Franklin, who first proposed the kite experiment in 1752.

I hope we get casting news soon.

Penguin

We're just 2 months out from Justice League and it doesn't feel like the hype monster has started yet

Wonder if we'll get articles about DC not caring about JL as well...

The latest of people reading into Twitter happenings,

Chris McKay, Nightwing's director, started following Finn Wittrock. Then Finn Wittrock liked a photo of himself as Nightwing,

I would want hotter, but close enough. TV Nightwing is hot, but a bit young in my opinion.

Wonder if we'll get articles about DC not caring about JL as well...

You get articles about everything. Here's Mendelson arguing that a third Hulk movie - What? - wasn't happening because Homecoming was going to perform as well as Amazing. Which is not what happened.

People are going to write takes on stuff. SEE: "TFA is the worst SW film and a copy!" "Civil War is the worst Marvel film ever!" "Every movie should be Logan!" You'll survive.

Penguin

I would want hotter, but close enough. TV Nightwing is hot, but a bit young in my opinion.

You get articles about everything. Here's Mendelson arguing that a third Hulk movie - What? - wasn't happening because Homecoming was going to perform as well as Amazing. Which is not what happened.

People are going to write takes on stuff. SEE: "TFA is the worst SW film and a copy!" "Civil War is the worst Marvel film ever!" "Every movie should be Logan!" You'll survive.

Ha I think you took me a bit more seriously than intended

It was tongue-in-cheek reference to the whole WW marketing article/thread

a916

I also feel like there's a lot of hand waiving because oh hey, airport scene is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-k-tQxJv8o

Have you guys seen this video? It gives another perspective to BvS that I didn't even think about.

So who's making that "Superman is a better Black Panther than Black Panther" thread? /s

Ahasverus

I'd be sad for the Batfleck movie if the new one wasn't made by the guy who made the best trilogy in recent cinema out of a whacky property.

I could see TV Dick being Robin and Movie Dick being Nightwing.

Finn Wittrock certainly looks the part of Nightwing Dick. I've only seen him in The Big Short and have no strong opinion on the casting one way or the other.

Bleepey

I also feel like there's a lot of hand waiving because oh hey, airport scene is amazing.

So who's making that "Superman is a better Black Panther than Black Panther" thread? /s
The airport is this fun cool action scene that makes like no sense.

1)contrived reason to fight in an empty location. What is this BVS?!
Check
2) they still fought even though Cap told them they were being played.
Check
3) they never try to stop fighting throughout the fight. They claim to not wanna hurt each other but buildings are toppled on each other, explosive projectiles thrown and cars dropped on each other!
Check
4)they stop fighting because the Vision who was shown using lasers that can take down buildings, was shocked to find that the laser he intended to use to destroy Falcon's jet pack (which would probably have killed him if it hit him, or brought him crashing down to earth if it only hit his jet pack). I'm sorry "turn him into a glider" makes no sense considering no one was able to catch War Machine when he was higher up and Falcon would have hit the ground hard if only his jet pack was hit considering he was closer to the ground)
5) oh and Tony feels the best way to get contrition for inadvertently causing the death of a young man at the prime of his life with so much potential, is to find an even younger man and have him play fight with assassins, mutants, explosives and flying cars. It might have been ok if he gave him a spare damn near invulnerable iron man suit but whatever

I don't know what Reeves has in mind, but I love any story where batman is constantly outwitted by a villain, it sure sounds that's what was gonna happen with Ben's script.

A missed opportunity I say.

And I will light a candle everyday until the Nightwing movie enters in production. Dick deserves the silver screen. #TeamRichard

I'd be sad for the Batfleck movie if the new one wasn't made by the guy who made the best trilogy in recent cinema out of a whacky property.

I think Matt Reeves is an upgrade over Affleck. Ignoring his Live by Night misfire (guy had personal issues going on during the production), and while I enjoyed his three others, he's been gradually less interesting in each subsequent film. If he managed to hit the highs of Gone Baby Gone again, that's another story.

And I do like that pitch of being The Game with Batman. Reeves is also interested in a mystery/detective Batman story, so I'm optimistic.

Ninjimbo

Seriously, a Batman movie modeled after The Game would be pretty dope. I like The Game despite how crazy it gets. I feel like a Batman film done in that style would be a breath of fresh air. For as many Batman films we have, I don't think any of them take the detective side of Batman seriously. Nolan and Burton certainly didn't. And Snyder didn't even care lol.

Top Bottom