• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Beta Stage

Neo Member
Have any of you guys ever gotten that feeling where: you are excited to see a film come out, but It does not quite hit you until right before its release that it is actually happening? Because that just happened to me, GAF. God, November cannot come soon enough.T_T

Off Topic Time! I was bored last night (as I am prone to be at midnight) so I decided to watch a couple of the 40's Superman shorts and I just have one question: how does a nearly 80 year old cartoon have better animation than 90% of the stuff on TV today? It is mind boggling!

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Have any of you guys ever gotten that feeling where: you are excited to see a film come out, but It does not quite hit you until right before its release that it is actually happening? Because that just happened to me, GAF. God, November cannot come soon enough.T_T

Off Topic Time! I was bored last night (as I am prone to be at midnight) so I decided to watch a couple of the 40's Superman shorts and I just have one question: how does a nearly 80 year old cartoon have better animation than 90% of the stuff on TV today? It is mind boggling!
Because they spent like a million dollars per episode back in 1940 to rotoscope. It was insane for the time.

The Fleischers, looking for a way to reject the project without appearing uncooperative, agreed to do the series—but only at a (intentionally inflated) per-episode-budget number so exorbitantly high that Paramount would have to reject them, instead. They told Paramount that producing such a conceptually and technically complex series of cartoons would cost about $100,000 per short (in 1940s dollars, or $1,700,000 per short as of 2017); this was about four times the typical budget of a six-minute episode of the Fleischers' popular Popeye the Sailor cartoons of that period.[3] To the Fleischers' shock, instead of withdrawing its request, Paramount entered into negotiations with them, and got the per-episode budget lowered to $50,000.[4] Now the Fleischers were committed to a project they never wanted to do—with more financial and marketing support than they had ever received for the projects they had done

J_Viper

Except that he’s said multiple times that he does want to keep playing.

There’s a dozens of things to talk about until JL hits. You only seem concerned about posting pics of Ben and talking about replacements :)

You keep talking in absolutes yet with absolutely no proof. He clearly doesn't want to do it anymore? The only, and I mean ONLY, official word we have received on it is from Ben himself saying he loves Batman and that he will do it as long as they want him.
He's said that about directing the project too, but then...

Ashhong

He's said that about directing the project too, but then...

You're still cherry picking what you want to believe. Not every word out of his mouth is a lie. We can't assume the opposite of everything he says. He says he wants to be in it, what good comes from assuming the opposite

J_Viper

But then Live By Night bombed and cost WB tons of millions....

That's a bit different though.

From what I understand, getting Live by Night made was a bargaining chip to get Affleck on board BvS.

"Yeah, we'll let you make a $80 million prohibition flick if you sign this DCEU deal"

I mean, no company wants a bomb of that magnitude but I doubt it bothered WB that much.

You're still cherry picking what you want to believe. Not every word out of his mouth is a lie. We can't assume the opposite of everything he says. He says he wants to be in it, what good comes from assuming the opposite
Tell that to Zod's snapped neck

Ross61

That's a bit different though.

From what I understand, getting Live by Night made was a bargaining chip to get Affleck on board BvS.

"Yeah, we'll let you make a $80 million prohibition flick if you sign this DCEU deal"

I mean, no company wants a bomb of that magnitude but I doubt it bothered WB that much.

Tell that to Zod's snapped neck
There was nowhere that said they’d fund Live By Night to get him into DCEU. They funded it because he gave them a critical and award wining or financial hit before and WB is loyal to directors who do such. How you think Zack or others still keeps getting movies made by them?

Ahasverus

I would be down for that too. It would be the "Wind Waker" of superman games
We still kinda need the Ocarina of Time of Superman games tho.

He'll, I'd settle for the Hyrule Warriors of Superman games.

I believe in Rocksteady, even if AK was trash. I chalk such flop up to the fact tey were anxious to end their road with Batman to focus on the GOAT superhero.

J_Viper

There was nowhere that said they’d fund Live By Night to get him into DCEU. They funded it because he gave them a critical and award wining or financial hit before and WB is loyal to directors who do such. How you think Zack or others still keeps getting movies made by them?

I forget where I read that exactly, maybe a Forbes article?

Also, Zack gets projects because he gets things done on time.

Remember, MoS was a rush job that had to meet a deadline. That's why many promising directors turned it down.

Then BvS was ANOTHER rush to the finish line, so sticking with Snyder was the most efficient option.

Then BvS underwhelmed, but they couldn't replace Snyder on JL because the shooting dates have already been locked down

Literally every mistake made by WB is the result of poor planning

Ross61

I forget where I read that exactly, maybe a Forbes article?

Also, Zack gets projects because he gets things done on time.

Remember, MoS was a rush job that had to meet a deadline. That's why many promising directors turned it down.

Then BvS was ANOTHER rush to the finish line, so sticking with Snyder was the most efficient option.

Then BvS underwhelmed, but they couldn't replace Snyder on JL because the shooting dates have already been locked down

Literally every mistake made by WB is the result of poor planning
Zack is not a special case by WB. There are literally more directors that get their projects funded be because they did right by WB. Nolan, Affleck, Eastwood, the Wachowski’s and even fucking Todd Phillips. WB rewards good work.

And arguably the only mistake was choosing Snyder. I love the guy but he was not the guy for the job. The only reason they wanted MoS out was because of the the Superman rights issues. The were no amount of time that could’ve saved any of those films.

J_Viper

Zack is not a special case by WB. There are literally more directors that get their projects funded be because they did right by WB. Nolan, Affleck, Eastwood, the Wachowski’s and even fucking Todd Phillips. WB rewards good work.

And arguably the only mistake was choosing Snyder. I love the guy but he was not the guy for the job. The only reason they wanted MoS out was because of the the Superman rights issues. The were no amount of time that could’ve saved any of those films.

You're right, it's possible they would've eventually funded Live by Night, Batman or not, but I think they pushed it up the pipeline as part of their deal. They also gave him an 80 million dollar budget for a prohibition film, which is kind of nuts.

So, uh, did you guys know Devin Faraci was a DCEU fan? Because apparently, he was:

DKsGEvBV4AAbe8x.jpg

Sambrez_

BvS took a one year delay during production, can't remember why exactly but I rembember cleary where I was when I heard the news, because I was depressed.

IconGrist

BvS took a one year delay during production, can't remember why exactly but I rembember cleary where I was when I heard the news, because I was depressed.

The year delay was because WB had decided to try and map out what the DCEU was going to be and secure actor contracts. This was around the time Terrio was brought on board to treat Goyer's script.

J_Viper

I saw Henry Cavill at a grocery store in New York yesterday.

I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, "It's no problem, I love to meet my fans".

I was impressed, and all I could say was "I love Immortals", but he kept excitedly cutting me off with production anecdotes from the movie and giving me warm hand gestures. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle pleasantly as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw Henry waiting in line with just a few organic granola bars in his hand ready to pay.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "sir, did you find everything OK tonight?" At first he kept pretending that he was just a normal guy, but eventually let her know that the service was outstanding and that even he, an MTV Movie Award winning actor, was impressed.

When she started scanning the bars individually, Henry stopped her and told her she could just scan them in bulk "to prevent any line holdups" and then turned around and smiled at me. I think that's very considerate. After she scanned just one bar, quickly calculated the total, and put them in a bag and started to say the price, Henry simply handed the cashier a hundred dollar bill and told her to keep the change.

Yager

Banned

I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

I was impressed, and all I could say was "I love Immortals", but he kept excitedly cutting me off with production anecdotes from the movie and giving me warm hand gestures. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle pleasantly as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw Henry waiting in line with just a few organic granola bars in his hand ready to pay.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "sir, did you find everything OK tonight?" At first he kept pretending that he was just a normal guy, but eventually let her know that the service was outstanding and that even he, an MTV Movie Award winning actor, was impressed.

When she started scanning the bars individually, Henry stopped her and told her she could just scan them in bulk "to prevent any line holdups" and then turned around and smiled at me. I think that's very considerate. After she scanned just one bar, quickly calculated the total, and put them in a bag and started to say the price, Henry simply handed the cashier a hundred dollar bill and told her to keep the change.
i7q2w.jpg

Sambrez_

Damn, that's great !
I would have asked him how he feels about reuniting with Matthew Vaughn after Stardust ;)
But honestly I would have gone crazy on the inside and wouldn't bother him like you did.
Can't wait for Superman's comeback, he's already shopping!

Henry is very fond of selfies though

Yager

Banned
Damn, that's great !
I would have asked him how he feels about reuniting with Matthew Vaughn after Stardust ;)
But honestly I would have gone crazy on the inside and wouldn't bother him like you did.
Can't wait for Superman's comeback, he's already shopping!

Good thing he's nothing like Ben Affleck. I saw Ben Affleck at a grocery store in Barcelona yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, ”Oh, like you're doing now?"
I was taken aback, and all I could say was ”Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going ”huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen beers in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like ”Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the beers and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually ”to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each beer and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

strafer

Is this real or is it one of those parody posts?

Good thing he's nothing like Ben Affleck. I saw Ben Affleck at a grocery store in Barcelona yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen beers in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the beers and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each beer and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Fucking copypastas man

Top Bottom