• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

BadAss2961

DC rethinks it's Universe: http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/dc-wonder-woman-movie-strategy-universe.html

Very interesting interview with Geoff and Diane.
The editor mostly chimes in here. Making the universe thus far out to be a total failure, and adding juice to small quotes that aren't all that suggestive.

Still hate this hope and optimism campaign I keep seeing from Johns and Berg though. Sounds so fucking forced.
A thing that I absolutely hate about the article is how it says that Geoff Johns' view of superheroes is completely different and totally incompatible with what Zack Snyder has done in Man of Steel and Batman V Superman, which should read as absolutely counter-factual to anyone that's got even the slightest familiarity with Johns' body of work. Their storytelling style, the way they challenge their characters with extremely dark shit to make their triumph over it and their inherent goodness shine that much brighter, it's the same school of thought that leads to the muder of Ted Kord in Infinite Crisis and Superman killing Zod.

There's a temptation to constantly paint the DCEU as in need of redeeming, and I feel like it gets in the way of looking at things as they are, which is intensely frustrating.

Yup.

Ross61

gJN1oswj_o.jpg

BRUv1ZGE_o.jpg

A8LymyDV_o.jpg

0zk32zGO_o.jpg

1E1GVXfb_o.jpg

Ahasverus

Can't help but laugh at that writer implying Supergirl's rendition of Superman is some huge hit
This too, it sounded like uch an asspull. Not only Supergirl is a bland, unremarkable show, but its Superman is the literal definition of charisma black hole. Horrible costume, horrible writing, and let's be honest here, he's not Superan material.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Can't help but laugh at that writer implying Supergirl's rendition of Superman is some huge hit

I mean, perhaps the writer was visiting NeoGAF threads about the show.

Because it they all end up like that thread about the article did, I could understand him thinking that version of Superman is a huge hit.

For reasons.

Tabby

Just goes to show people don't care if Superman is an untrustworthy ass who doesnt act like Superman, if he's smiling and cracks jokes people praise it.
It's stupid.

I really hope after the movie is out, they release all of this promotional stuff with Superman in it. I really want the Alex Ross inspired SDCC art with Superman included.

Bleepey

Just goes to show people don't care if Superman is an untrustworthy ass who doesnt act like Superman, if he's smiling and cracks jokes people praise it.
It's stupid.

I don't watch Supergirl. But tell me more. Also I have been saying this for ages.

Dead

well not really...yet
A thing that I absolutely hate about the article is how it says that Geoff Johns' view of superheroes is completely different and totally incompatible with what Zack Snyder has done in Man of Steel and Batman V Superman, which should read as absolutely counter-factual to anyone that's got even the slightest familiarity with Johns' body of work. Their storytelling style, the way they challenge their characters with extremely dark shit to make their triumph over it and their inherent goodness shine that much brighter, it's the same school of thought that leads to the muder of Ted Kord in Infinite Crisis and Superman killing Zod.

There's a temptation to constantly paint the DCEU as in need of redeeming, and I feel like it gets in the way of looking at things as they are, which is intensely frustrating.
I thought the exact same thing to be honest.

a916

I really hope after the movie is out, they release all of this promotional stuff with Superman in it. I really want the Alex Ross inspired SDCC art with Superman included.

They should just release ONLY Superman posters from when the movie drops to even it out.

I've come to this community with upsetting news.

You've been living a lie for three OTs.

Folks can throw up alternate thread names!

This too, it sounded like uch an asspull. Not only Supergirl is a bland, unremarkable show, but its Superman is the literal definition of charisma black hole. Horrible costume, horrible writing, and let's be honest here, he's not Superan material.

When he debuted, he was by and larged, loved. He was also pointed at as what folks wanted from Superman. (See currently: Star Trek Discovery and The Orville.)

Ninjimbo

You can't have a DC movie without a negative hype cycle. All aboard the doom train.

Seriously tho, I'm waffling on this movie a lot. One day I'm hyped for it and on another day I'm completely meh towards it. I don't know where to set my expectations especially after Snyder left.

Part of me wants the movie to be a crowd pleaser just so that I won't have to endure all the doom speculation. But the other part of me wants something that finishes what MoS and BvS put in motion. A film somewhere along those lines.

So how are all of you riding the JL wave?

And what are you doing to past the time until then?

Dead

well not really...yet
tbh I'm just expecting something as safe as possible at this point. I'm not expecting any of the interesting undercurrents that Snyder and Terrio were weaving into BvS to show up anymore.

If anything it's for the best since I'm assuming from the start of filming adjustments were being made, so it was never going to live up to what w as being set up. Better to have something safe be delivered than something butchered like the BvS theatrical cut.

I wish we could get a graphic novel adaptation of the full uncompromised story that Snyder and Terrio were going to tell from BvS through JL. That would be neat.

Vyer

It’s not exactly counter factual to a lot of his Superman work. Secret Origin, for example. There is definitely a little hyperbole from the author of the article, sure. Either way, I don’t think they’re similarities are all that strong some ‘dark’ stuff or not.

So how are all of you riding the JL wave?

And what are you doing to past the time until then?

I'm not exactly feeling the hype yet, but I will be as we get closer.

I was never in a Whedon/Snyder camp per se, as I liked both director's previous works.

So if this means that JL "at best" it's a by the numbers Whedon movie and "at worst" a divisive Snyder movie...It would be a win/win situation for me regardless.

Just wanna see these characters I love kicking behinds.

But I will not kid myself even for a second that critics will enjoy it in any way shape or form.

Can't wait for GAF's Celebration Review Thread

J_Viper

When he debuted, he was by and larged, loved. He was also pointed at as what folks wanted from Superman

All seven people who watch Supergirl are used to trash though.

I can't recall anyone outside of CW fans who were enamored with that version of him, surely not to the level the Vulture writer claims it is.

I'm not exactly feeling the hype yet, but I will be as we get closer.

This is what I'm feeling too.

The last trailer was a miss for me. I'm hoping this last one really brings it.

Either way, the GAF
and /tv
thread is going to be a fucking ride

Top Bottom