• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

jackdoe

It’s not exactly counter factual to a lot of his Superman work. Secret Origin, for example. There is definitely a little hyperbole from the author of the article, sure. Either way, I don’t think they’re similarities are all that strong some ‘dark’ stuff or not.
Johns writes some pretty dark and violent stuff (especially his Green Lantern output), but his writing isn't cynical which is a very big difference from Zack Snyder's output.

All seven people who watch Supergirl are used to trash though.

I can't recall anyone outside of CW fans who were enamored with that version of him, surely not to the level the Vulture writer claims it is.

Entertainment Weekly: Will The CW spin off Superman next?
However, at the top of the season, Supergirl did introduce Superman (Tyler Hoechlin) into the world of CW shows, leaving the possibility open for more. While Hoechlin's portrayal was lauded for being joyfully less brooding than what viewers have seen since Henry Cavill took up the cape, CW President Mark Pedowitz tells EW there are currently no plans for a Superman spinoff.

Nerdist: DEAR CW: IT'S TIME FOR A NEW SUPERMAN TV SERIES
Right now, the only other live-action Superman is Henry Cavill in the DC Extended Universe. That version of the character is a bit dark and morose, which doesn't always sit well with Superman fans. Hoechlin's light-hearted performance was like a breath of fresh air, and the dual Flashes have already proven that the film and TV universes can go their separate ways without cannibalizing each other.

Syfy Wire: SUPERGIRL'S VERSION OF SUPERMAN NEEDS TO BE THE CW'S NEXT DC SPINOFF
Instead, they accidentally went and introduced a live-action version of Superman that has instantly been accepted as a much better version of the character than what Zack Snyder is doing in his big-budget blockbusters Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. You know, the movies Warner Bros. and DC are pinning all their hopes and dreams on.

Forbes' Favorite Scott Mendelson: 'Supergirl' Gives Us A Classic Man Of Steel By Letting Superman Be Superman
But what strikes me about Hoechlin's portrayal of the Man of Steel isn't that he's one of the very best live-action Superman depictions we've ever seen, or even that the producers managed to bring in Superman without remotely taking the focus away from Melissa Benoist's (still delightful) Supergirl. I realized that the utterly confident, entirely aspirational, and downright heroic Superman isn't just a contrast to the current movie version but a contrast to how the character has been portrayed in live-action for the last twenty years.
Supergirl gave us a Superman that we need/deserve right now, and it did so without making its title character any less impressive.

AVCLUB: Supergirl's second season premiere takes the show to new heights
Tyler Hoechlin is pitch-perfect as both the Man Of Steel and mild-manner reporter Clark Kent. If anything he's even more boyish and goodhearted than Christopher Reeve's iconic take on the character, and Hoechlin is certainly a breath of fresh air for those not so fond of Henry Cavill's more dour turn in the Zack Snyder films.

Hollywood Reporter: Critic's Notebook: 'Supergirl' Makes a Smooth Landing at The CW (and Introduces Superman) - Which doesn't list a preference, but notes why folks may prefer one to the other.
Hoechlin plays Superman/Clark as both hunky and clumsy enough to be a match with our expectations of the dual role, and he brings back the innocent lightness that the character had in the Christopher Reeve (and even Brandon Routh) incarnation that just never interested Zack Snyder. And that, by the way, is perfectly fine. If you like what Snyder has done on the big screen with Superman, what Hoechlin is doing has no connection to what Henry Cavill has been doing, and there's no reason why these interpretations can't exist simultaneously. It's a Kryptonian partnership and not a mentorship, which is good.

It was not a rare sentiment and I only stuck with bigger sites above. Now, this is before the latter part of the season pissed away some of that goodwill with some nonsense plotting, but during the season premiere, it was a pretty noticeable turn. So yeah, that statement is nothing without solid basis, regardless of how you personally feel about our cinematic Supermen.

IconGrist

I didn't see his later appearance, what did Hoechlin's Superman do that soured people?

Supergirl beat him in a one on one fight. He was being mind-controlled at the time so naturally people assumed he was fighting it and holding back. Then he blatantly says he wasn't holding back (basically implying that Superman with his many years of experience in battle aren't enough to beat an amateur Supergirl). Then congratulates her for sacrificing a relationship with her love interest in order to save the world because if he had to choose between Lois and the rest of the world he'd choose Lois.

It was pretty bad. Made Superman look like the inferior hero in order to make Supergirl look good. It was highly unnecessary and pretty disrespectful of Superman's legacy.

J_Viper

Entertainment Weekly: Will The CW spin off Superman next?

Nerdist: DEAR CW: IT’S TIME FOR A NEW SUPERMAN TV SERIES

Syfy Wire: SUPERGIRL'S VERSION OF SUPERMAN NEEDS TO BE THE CW’S NEXT DC SPINOFF

Forbes' Favorite Scott Mendelson: 'Supergirl' Gives Us A Classic Man Of Steel By Letting Superman Be Superman

AVCLUB: Supergirl’s second season premiere takes the show to new heights

Hollywood Reporter: Critic's Notebook: 'Supergirl' Makes a Smooth Landing at The CW (and Introduces Superman) - Which doesn't list a preference, but notes why folks may prefer one to the other.

It was not a rare sentiment and I only stuck with bigger sites above. Now, this is before the latter part of the season pissed away some of that goodwill with some nonsense plotting, but during the season premiere, it was a pretty noticeable turn. So yeah, that statement is nothing without solid basis, regardless of how you personally feel about our cinematic Supermen.
>syfy
>nerdist
>av club
4114706-1897100456-22882.jpg

I understand though, thanks for the links.

I do realize that certain subsection of the internet, the same types of places that bitch about Snyder's work, enjoyed Ho' Chillin's Superman, but I just can't fathom how anyone else can. He's terrible.

Superman can be more than a cornball.

The thing is that Supergirl's Superman is a Flanderized version of the character. He's cheery, but there isn't a shred of depth to him. He's almost a cartoon half of the time. Superman can get pissed. Superman can get sad. Superman, in his best stories, is not infallable. I still point to the animated series as my favorite incarnation of the character, but I will take Cavill over Hoechlin any day of the week.

I'm also extremely tired of people overstating how 'dark' DCEU Supes is. You'd think he was Dr. Manhattan the way people describe him.

Maddocks

They want that Superman because they have seen so little of him. They took the Donner universe superman and put him in a tv show, that is it. Because they didn't need or want to build him up and why would they? he is only a cameo character used to build up the main character. That was his role and he performed it perfectly. Turn that 4-5 episodes of him into a 24 episode series and it will crumble big time. Vancouver only has so much space!

The thing is that Supergirl's Superman is a Flanderized version of the character. He's cheery, but there isn't a shred of depth to him. He's almost a cartoon half of the time. Superman can get pissed. Superman can get sad. Superman, in his best stories, is not infallable. I still point to the animated series as my favorite incarnation of the character, but I will take Cavill over Hoechlin any day of the week.

I mean, you're comparing a character with 30 minutes of total screentime in a show where he's a guest star at most to one who received two films worth of characterization as the main character or three seasons of the same. Of course he's a Flanderization.

The question we tend to sidestep (and seemingly avoid) is why some point to that brief Flanderization and go "This is what I want." This is why I brought up Star Trek Discovery vs. The Orville. I really enjoyed the former, but I understand why others point to the Orville's lighter, more hopeful universe and say "I want Star Trek to be like this".

They want that Superman because they have seen so little of him. They took the Donner universe superman and put him in a tv show, that is it. Because they didn't need or want to build him up and why would they? he is only a cameo character used to build up the main character. That was his role and he performed it perfectly. Turn that 4-5 episodes of him into a 24 episode series and it will crumble big time. Vancouver only has so much space!

See, this is closer to engaging with why folks may have prefer the skeleton of CW's Superman.

That author basically made:

>Superman dark (Tyler hoechlin over Henry Cavill) ouch!
>SS dark lol
>johns brought Whedon when it's basically was Snyder's decision
>change their course after JL was already a known fact that JL will be his last movie
>lol he also bashed johns and Diane over GL 2011
>'Citing unnamed source familiar with making' is we see all the time
>probably the only legit news were the statements from Diane and johns that he made this editorial piece revolve around

Neophant

My biggest complaint with Hoechlin's portrayal of Superman in Supergirl was:

1. Acting really douchy to Hank / Martian Manhunter when they meet each other at the DEO headquarters.

2. Completely ignoring Winn's comments and admiration, making the fanboy look like a goofball (when throughout the show he's been seen as level-headed and thoughtful) and...

3. Smiling really creepily when he's fighting Metallo and his goons in the first episode.

I'm all for different and nostalgic versions of the superhero characters people have known and loved, but there's no way the guy we saw in Supergirl should be anywhere near seen as the examplar the way he was described in that article.

Effect

My biggest complaint with Hoechlin's portrayal of Superman in Supergirl was:

1. Acting really douchy to Hank / Martian Manhunter when they meet each other at the DEO headquarters.

2. Completely ignoring Winn's comments and admiration, making the fanboy look like a goofball (when throughout the show he's been seen as level-headed and thoughtful) and...

3. Smiling really creepily when he's fighting Metallo and his goons in the first episode.

I'm all for different and nostalgic versions of the superhero characters people have known and loved, but there's no way the guy we saw in Supergirl should be anywhere near seen as the examplar the way he was described in that article.

I actually liked that he and Hank had issues with each other. I was worried they would just be copying the Reeves version until that showed up. Him being a copy of Reeves' Superman is annoying but overall I didn't have any issue with him.

My issue in general has to do with Supergirl's writing in which I feel has improved in many areas but gotten worse in others. I had a fear with them introducing him into the show that eventually he would become a victim of the writing to showcase how great Supergirl is when there is no need to do that. People were concerned about him overshadowing. Yeah that was a concern but cutting him down was another concern that I don't think people really thought about until ti happen. It happens twice. The end of season 1 and in season 2.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I've spent my entire afternoon watching the all the bonus features on BvS, SS, and about to start Wonder Woman... The amount of work these people put in to make this shit happen for us is just mind blowing. Makes me even more upset when these movies get panned by critics and made fun of.

This is getting my hyped for JL though. Side note, finally got to see the JL trailer on the big screen last night when I saw Kingsmen, and damn, seeing it in LIEMAX makes it feel so much more epic and cool.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
People need to learn how to read and understand stuff... It's really not that hard. No where did DC or Johns say that the future DC movies wouldn't be connected. They said that SOME of the new movies (ie the Joker movie) would be stand-alones that have no connection to the main line movies. Movies like WW2, Flash, SS2, etc would still be in the same universe, but that they learned their lessons and won't be trying to always tell a connected story from one to another. They'll get to be their own thing with glimpses of other characters and shout outs to events which happened previously to help world build.

IconGrist

I had basically asked for this when they started saying they were going to do a connected universe. To do it like the way the DCAU movies are handled. There is one line of continuity but there are also standalone movies that take no part even if they sometimes share actors. Why wouldn't you do that? Seems like such a waste to wait like 15 years or so for there to be a Kingdom Come movie that makes sense within the DCEU. Just do one now and keep the DCEU going on its own.

Ashhong

What the hell didn't we already go over this exact same bullshit when Reeves made that comment about Batman? Literally the same exact thing

Ashhong

Can't wait to see how that plays in the movie. Also, they're already almost about to wrap? Goddamn. They must really need a lot of time for the water CGI and stuff

Loxley

So apparently the non-DCEU Superman films are getting an updated blu-ray box set release in a few weeks for $129.99, at least according to this Amazon page.

Soar to New Hi-Def Heights with the Complete Movie Collection in Breathtaking Blu-ray Clarity and Sound! INCLUDES: Superman The Movie Superman The Movie: Expanded Edition Superman II Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut Superman III Superman IV: The Quest for Peace Superman Returns ALL FOR THE FIRST TIME IN DTS-HD 5.1 MASTER AUDIO DELUXE 8-DISC SET WITH OVER 20 HOURS OF BONUS FEATURES! FEATURING THE FEATURE-LENGTH YOU WILL BELIEVE: THE CINEMATIC SAGA OF SUPERMAN, LOOK, UP IN THE SKY! THE AMAZING STORY OF SUPERMAN AND MORE FUN AND INFORMATIVE DOCUMENTARIES AND TV SPECIALS, GEORGE REEVES IN SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE-MEN, THE COMPLETE FLEISCHER/FAMOUS STUDIOS 1940S SUPERMAN CARTOONS, FILMMAKER COMMENTARIES, RARE TV PILOT, FEATURETTES, ARCHIVAL FOOTAGE AND MUCH, MUCH MORE!

DELUXE 8-DISC SET WITH OVER 20 HOURS OF BONUS FEATURES!

Disc #1 · Superman: The Movie, Original Theatrical · Commentary by Ilya Salkind and Pierre Spengler (Original Theatrical Version) · The Making of Superman: The Movie [1978 TV special] · Superman and the Mole-Men [1951 feature] · Warner Bros. Cartoons Super-Rabbit [1943 WB cartoon] Snafuperman [1944 WB cartoon] Stupor Duck [1956 WB cartoon] · Trailers

Disc #2 · Superman: The Movie, Expanded Edition · Commentary by Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz (Extended Version) · Taking Flight: The Development of Superman · Making Superman: Filming the Legend · The Magic Behind the Cape · Screen Tests Superman Lois Lane with Optional Commentary Ursa · A Selection of Restored Scenes · Additional Music Cues Main Titles Alternate Main Titles The Council's Decision The Krypton Quake More Mugger/Introducing Otis Air Force One Can You Read My Mind (Pop Version) · Music Only Track (Donner Cut)

Disc #3 · Superman II, Original Theatrical · Commentary by Ilya Salkind and Pierre Spengler (Original Theatrical Version) · The Making of Superman II [1980 TV special] · Deleted Scene · First Flight: The Fleischer Superman Series · Fleischer Studios' Superman Superman The Mechanical Monsters Billion Dollar Limited The Arctic Giant The Bulleteers The Magnetic Telescope Electric Earthquake Volcano Terror on the Midway · Theatrical Trailer

Disc #4 · Superman II - The Richard Donner Cut · Commentary by Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz (Donner Cut) · Introduction by Richard Donner · Superman II: Restoring the Vision · Deleted Scenes · Famous Studios' Superman Japoteurs Showdown Eleventh Hour Destruction, Inc The Mummy Strikes Jungle Drums The Underground World Secret Agent

Disc #5 · Superman III Theatrical Version · Commentary by Iilya Salkind and Pierre Spengler · The Making of Superman III (1983 TV Special) · Deleted Scenes · Theatrical Trailer

Disc #6 · Superman IV The Quest For Peace Theatrical Version · Commentary by Mark Rosenthal · Superman 50th Anniversary Special (1988 TV Special) · Deleted Scenes · Theatrical Trailer

Disc #7 · Superman Returns · Requiem for Krypton: Making Superman Returns Pt. 1 Secret Origins and First Issues: Crystallizing Superman Pt. 2 The Crystal Method: Designing Superman Pt. 3 An Affinity for Beachfront Property: Shooting Superman- Superman on the Farm Pt. 4 An Affinity for Beachfront Property: Shooting Superman- Superman in the City Pt. 5 An Affinity for Beachfront Property: Shooting Superman- Superman in Peril Pt. 6 The Joy of Lex: Menacing Superman Pt. 7 He's Always Around: Wrapping Superman · Resurrecting Jor-El · Deleted Scenes including the never-before-seen original opening to Superman Returns · Bryan Singer's Journals – Video production journals · Trailers

Disc #8 Additional Bonus Material · Look, Up in the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman [Hi-Def] · You Will Believe: The Cinematic Saga of Superman Pt. 1- Origin Pt. 2- Vision Pt. 3- Ascent Pt. 4- Crisis Pt. 5- Redemption · The Science of Superman [Hi-Def] · The Mythology of Superman · The Heart of a Hero: A Tribute to Christopher Reeve · The Adventures of Superpup [1958 TV pilot]

I believe the previous box set didn't include stuff like the Fleischer cartoons and the un-aired Superpup pilot, so that's pretty cool.

dear god Gadot looks perfect as Wonder Woman.

that last shot of batman beside flash looks good too. and although it looks pretty crap in motion, that still of aquaman riding a parademon is Metal as fuck.

Sambrez_

Can't. Wait.

I dreamt about it last night,

I was at the premiere, but there was not a lot of people, only half of the room full, they kept the light on during the projection and it was like in 4:3 ratio, very small size, low quality.
The film started in french (I'm french but always watch in english with english sub or none, and it happened at a Man of Steel screening back in the day, it was in french and the room shouted because it was supposed to be in english), so it was really awkward, like everthing turns to shit.

These rumors are starting to affect my unconscious.

Theorry

2-image-hatsupjlarm3930-1-productimagenowatermark.jpg

Last year Henry Cavill teased a black suit for Superman in Justice League, and now thanks to an official piece of movie merchandise we know that’s exactly what we’re going to get.

Superhero Stuff just listed an official “Superman Black Armor Justice League 39Thirty Fitted Hat” by New Era, but their product description is filled with some pretty big spoilers. Read on if you choose…

Based on Superman’s newly-resurrected appearance in the hit film, ‘Justice League.’

Our Superman Black Armor Justice League 39Thirty Fitted Hat is based on Superman’s costume post-death:

A black variation of the Superman suit adorned during his time in the regeneration matrix, a Kryptonian chamber that reversed the previously lethal effects of his protracted punch-em-up with Doomsday.

In the film Justice League, it seems Superman’s cinematic resurrection will parallel the hit comic story, considering he returns in a stylish black costume soon after a very tense fight with Doomsday.

Top Bottom