• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

And gawd damn the Amazons

tumblr_n2q7szQyWw1qci23co1_250.gif

Woo!

EDIT:

And if Robin Wright couldn't be any more bae.....whew.

tumblr_n2q7szQyWw1qci23co1_250.gif

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I know we're all in a little bubble on this forum and our views are a little skewed into just how much awareness this movie has with the general public, but man would it awesome if this movie opened huge to like 130 mil.

I know we're all in a little bubble on this forum and our views are a little skewed into just how much awareness this movie has with the general public, but man would it awesome if this movie opened huge to like 130 mil.

Who knows. Speaking for myself, of the past two years of early comic movie screenings, acknowledging it may skew options, I'd say Wonder Woman is the most I enjoyed along with Civil War. Suicide Squad I really didn't like. BvS I liked but was lukewarm on until UC. GOTG2 around the same as BvS TC. Logan I didn't see early but I'd put it above all those.

Dead

well not really...yet
Came upon a neat interview with Clay Enos, whos the on set photographer of all of Snyder's movies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtNZ_asrJhk

Kinda neat as he pretty much calls out how a lot of the deeper dives into BvS' themes, allusions, etc, etc are on point, as all the socio-political stuff, the media, etc, etc is 100% intentional on both Zack and Terrio's part.It's always a shame to see people call out how people read too much into the movie when all that stuff is is really there, plain as day to be honest.

"Zack storyboards every single frame of the movie himself, if something is there, re-occurring or otherwise, it is most likely intentional" to paraphrase him.

Ninjimbo

So guys, I want to know how serious this movie is. I'm seeing comparisons to Batman Begins and I loved how that movie it treated the world and the characters. Yeah, it had tender moments and some light stuff in it, but on the whole you felt the stakes.

I basically don't want it to be too goofy like Donner's Superman film. I know Patti loves it to bits, but that movie felt way too lighthearted for me.

All I wanna know is, will this movie make all the little girls leaving the theater feel awesome and like they can do anything they put their mind to?

Yes.

Guess it's an open secret

It's the 5% of the movie didn't care for

Yes...

That said, it's about average for the genre these days. Much better than the likes of Enchantress and Ronan. Maybe closer to Red Skull or under. And far below the good and great baddies of comic movies.
Although there is an interesting hook with Ares that I liked.

Is it filled with comic art or is it like the new mcu one and is a mini mo gage of clips from the films.

Comic art of Batman, Superman, WW, Flash, GL, and the main crew.

ReiGun

Home. Letting the hype die down a bit to be more objective.

....It's still so good. So, so good. It has its issues - namely the third act is a little messy and I would have liked more time on the island - but hot damn. This is Wonder Woman. Top to bottom. Patty and Gal managed to capture the spirit of the character in a way we so rarely see. Gal Gadot has, in my eyes, put herself in the same tier as Chris Evans' Cap as a perfect page to screen translation of a character that could have gone so wrong.

But what really impressed me was the relationship between Steve and Diana. Now, y'all know ya boy is a hardcore Wonder Woman stan. But Steve has never really been my bag. I always thought he was a good idea for a character, and much prefer him as a love interest to Diana over Bats or Supes, but that potential has never been realized. But damn it, Chris Pine made that character sing. Diana and Steve are the emotional backbone of the movie and you really come to care about them. And trust me, any Wonder Woman fan knows how hard it can be to care about Steve Trevor.

On the humor, yes, this movie is much more light hearted than BvS or MoS. But don't go in expecting Guardians of the Galaxy. The humor is used wisely and at just the right moments. The movie never undercuts its tension. It takes itself seriously, but not too seriously.

And the action. Whew. Brehs. So much damn fun. Wonder Woman >>>> Faora. It can't be debated anymore. In fact, throw all the Kryptonians in the trash. Even Clark. Amazons run this shit now. #ThemysciraSet

Again, being fair, the third act doesn't quite come together. It's still not bad, but it's plauged by what feel like pacing issues and one of the weaker action segments. Also, the movie scratches the surface of some social issues I wish could have gotten a little more time, but I also understand they can only do so much. And yes, Ares was pretty meh. I would argue he wasn't really the point - the movie is much more about Diana being faced with the horrors of man's world - but if you want a really memorable villain ala Loki or The Joker, you're going to have to wait for the sequel and hope Circe/Cheetah/whoever steal the show.

All in all, Wonder Woman is the DC movie everyone has been waiting for since The Dark Knight. I'm not gonna get into bashing the other DCEU films because I know people enjoy them and I don't want to start that debate. But I really would be lying to you if I said the previous DCEU movies even touch this one.

All that's left to do now is hope enough people agree with me that this one opens the floodgates for female led superhero movies.

I thought it was very good as well, but I did think the third act had some problems.
I think my favorite scene might be the No Man's Land scene.
This gif was me through that entire scene
161t2o.gif

3N16MA

Banned
I will use some of these impressions in the Spoiler OT. Probably wont be a regular OT as they seem to be redundant with all the other review/impression threads.

zero_suit

And the action. Whew. Brehs. So much damn fun. Wonder Woman >>>> Faora. It can't be debated anymore. In fact, throw all the Kryptonians in the trash. Even Clark. Amazons run this shit now. #ThemscryiaSet

All in all, Wonder Woman is the DC movie everyone has been waiting for since The Dark Knight.

June 2nd needs to hurry up.

ReiGun

Best I can tell you duckroll is that the Ares fight is pretty legit. If nothing else, he does feel like a real threat. The clash between Diana and him has some great moments. The character himself just isn't all that memorable or standout. Especially not compared to the strong characterization of Diana and Steve.

Boke1879

Gotta agree. Outside of like Joker and Loki. What villains have really stood out.

Listen I love GotG, but whatever the hell that last battle with Ronin was, was stupid as fuck. Didn't drag down the movie for me at all.

That said. If the action holds up, a fun movie to watch. I can see WOM doing this movie real solid.

I have faith in Black Panther. Aquaman I have a good feeling about.

But Warners best announce a Wonder Woman sequel by SDCC in July. Bring Patty back and give her a bigger budget:

Gotta agree. Outside of like Joker and Loki. What villains have really stood out.

Listen I love GotG, but whatever the hell that last battle with Ronin was, was stupid as fuck. Didn't drag down the movie for me at all.

That said. If the action holds up, a fun movie to watch. I can see WOM doing this movie real solid.

June is stacked as fuck, WB shouldve relased the movie in March tbh as i said awhile ago

duckroll

Best I can tell you duckroll is that the Ares fight is pretty legit. If nothing else, he does feel like a real threat. The clash between Diana and him has some great moments. The character himself just isn't all that memorable or standout. Especially not compared to the strong characterization of Diana and Steve.

This isn't really an action thing. I guess ultimately I wanted something that maybe the movie isn't. I didn't want Wonder Woman done Captain America The First Avenger style. I don't mind the setting of WW1 as a period backdrop, but what I really want out of Wonder Woman is fantasy. Big fantasy, monsters, gods, things far beyond the world of man. I was hoping that the WW1 backdrop was just a means to show that the war is just one layer.

I was hoping the behind the facade of a WW1 historical movie, we would actually see stuff like this instead:

I want a Wonder Woman movie with Ares in full black armor riding dragons and giant fire breathing dogs and what not. :(

Raimi's and Burton's.

Ross61

This isn't really an action thing. I guess ultimately I wanted something that maybe the movie isn't. I didn't want Wonder Woman done Captain America The First Avenger style. I don't mind the setting of WW1 as a period backdrop, but what I really want out of Wonder Woman is fantasy. Big fantasy, monsters, gods, things far beyond the world of man. I was hoping that the WW1 backdrop was just a means to show that the war is just one layer.

I was hoping the behind the facade of a WW1 historical movie, we would actually see stuff like this instead:

I want a Wonder Woman movie with Ares in full black armor riding dragons and giant fire breathing dogs and what not. :(
Is that from the Finch run?
Yuck

ReiGun

The final fight does get fairly fantastical, but yeah. I see what you're saying. The fantasy is there, but not as prominent.

Hopefully the sequel uses Circe and delivers on that.

Top Bottom