• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 (PC/XB1/PS4, Sep 8) CG reveal trailer, pre-orders, gameplay debut May 18th

Two Words

Guys, if they shared that information in a Gamestop email, this isn't a leak. They told Gamestop employees this so that they can tell customers when the DLC will be out so that they can buy the DLC.

Lebneney

Banned
PC is going to be a giant question mark until we see how this game plays. I don't think Destiny 1 would work well on PC. But that game was designed for a console experience. So we'll see how Destiny 2 is designed around PC.
Yeah my only thing was that I was going to preorder it as to have it ready from now, but we'll see about that.

Being optimistic another big advantage on PC is higher resolution and framerate. Destiny will feel amazing at 1440 and 60fps.

However, I stick with the advice of "play where your friends are."

I agree that if it can run really nicely, then I would have no problem to getting it on PC. I had original Destiny and made a few friends on PS4, but I think they've either disabled their account or something because they aren't there anymore. Plus I stopped playing Destiny around a year into it, so maybe the PSN or Steam friends thing isn't as relevant to me. I'll ask my IRL friends and see what they're doing.

Perineum

I do hope Grimoire returns, but advanced.

I would like to see an in game way to access and see it all. Also, it would be nice if key parts of it, or completing a certain chunk of some, let's you see a video cut scene with dialogue or something. Not just text I read online on Bungie's website.

It was early December 2014 I believe.
When people were killing Crota with an exotic cord pull

The cheese was real back then. I remember those raids with my friends and I was always the designated "cord puller" and I never did that. I'd always just toggle the network off on my PS4 and then toggle it back on.

We had 2 dedicated snipers with ice breakers to get the wizards off the sword runner. Good fucking times. I got Hawkmoon as a drop on Crota's End back when it was a mini sniper.

Kyoufu

Destiny 2 needs some "OMG GJALLARHORN!!!" loot drop reaction moments of its own​. Nothing since Year 1 made players freak out the way they did when a Gjallarhorn or even Fatebringer would drop.

Make loot drops feel special again, Bungie.

Also get rid of Three of Coins.

Toli08

That gamespot leak makes me question something. Are they saying that Competitive multiplayer is coming with the first expansion? As in we won't have pvp in the stand alone game?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Destiny 2 needs some "OMG GJALLARHORN!!!" loot drop reaction moments of its own​. Nothing since Year 1 made players freak out the way they did when a Gjallarhorn or even Fatebringer would drop.

Make loot drops feel special again, Bungie.

Also get rid of Three of Coins.

Those Exotics getting butchered in the long run, hurt so fucking much

Such a stupid stat of the Time to Kill being referenced across the board to bring those nerfs
Made almost 3/4ths of the exotics useless, just collected and vaulted or dismantled until buffed and gotten back from the kiosk

There was something special about Year 1 exotics
Felt like a powerful weapon in your hands
Now, most run Legendaries that perform better than exotics, only situational or raid/strike specific encounters

Magwik

Banned
That gamespot leak makes me question something. Are they saying that Competitive multiplayer is coming with the first expansion? As in we won't have pvp in the stand alone game?
Trials of Osiris are a different section or type of PvP

Kyoufu

Nope, Bungie's blurb lists PVP, Story, Strikes and new modes coming with the base game.

Such a stupid stat of the Time to Kill being referenced across the board to bring those nerfs
Made almost 3/4ths of the exotics useless, just collected and vaulted or dismantled until buffed and gotten back from the kiosk

Now, most run Legendaries that perform better than exotics, only situational or raid/strike specific encounters

Yep, agreed, but even legendaries in year 2 felt boring and weak. They were basically infusion fodder. I hope they don't make that mistake again.

GraveRobberX

No

Osiris and Rasputin will be storyline based
Remember we've never met Osiris, he's been toying with dark arts and getting lost in time with Vex shenanigans

Don't take Trials of Osiris as PvP locked behind an expansion
The head figure needs rescuing, guess who will be rescuing him...
Same for Rasputin, Darkness trying their damndest to fuck with it, Rasputin needs us, so the enemy of my enemy is my friend

Two Words

I feel like what they should do to exotics is ditch the limitation of slotting only one of them, but have all exotics have a drawback. So a weapon or piece of armor should have great abilities, but also have something that makes you have to pay a cost for it. An easy example would be exotic gauntlets that make you reload faster, but any ammo still in the magazine when you reload is lost. Let exotic gear have parts of it that make them feel very powerful and unique, but let the drawbacks also keep you from just depending on them.

Toli08

No

Osiris and Rasputin will be storyline based
Remember we've never met Osiris, he's been toying with dark arts and getting lost in time with Vex shenanigans

Don't take Trials of Osiris as PvP locked behind an expansion
The head figure needs rescuing, guess who will be rescuing him...
Same for Rasputin, Darkness trying their damndest to fuck with it, Rasputin needs us, so the enemy of my enemy is my friend

Ok good. It just caught me by surprise that there was that blurb of competitive multiplayer under the expansion. Figured there is no way they would release the game without a pvp mode. Just needed to make sure.

I wouldn't mind drawbacks to exotics. But anything with ammo loss would be a big turn off. Nothing ruins the flow of a raid run then when you have to hear. Gotta wait 4mins for some heavy.

GraveRobberX

I feel like what they should do to exotics is ditch the limitation of slotting only one of them, but have all exotics have a drawback. So a weapon or piece of armor should have great abilities, but also have something that makes you have to pay a cost for it. An easy example would be exotic gauntlets that make you reload faster, but any ammo still in the magazine when you reload is lost. Let exotic gear have parts of it that make them feel very powerful and unique, but let the drawbacks also keep you from just depending on them.

I don't think this will be the route worth investing in
Looks good on paper, but adding cons to gear that are suppose to be top tier, just feels wrong to me

I mean I can see uncommon, rare, legendaries have drawbacks, exotic should be the thing that is literally that, an exotic, a piece of such craftsmanship that it's a huge net benefit to any other piece slotted in

You want your stand out gear pieces to be sought out, chased after, cause in the long run, the benefits can alter gameplay
Can you imagine say Gjallarhorn had like yeah you can do damage on an obscene level with wolfpacks but if brought into raid does 50% less damage, it would really not be the sought magical weapon people dreamed of getting

That's the problem with Bungie they really don't like overpowered weapons. Or at least they don't like people sticking to one weapon setup.

Personally I think that's fighting a losing battle and will and it has frustrate the community.

Toli08

If anything they should make exotics feel more special. I know hard light wasn't a favorite for a lot of people. But, the gun was so different then anything else in the game. It was so fun to use when just fooling around in the crucible. They need to make sure each exotic weapon feels special and different then any other weapon.

Two Words

I wouldn't mind drawbacks to exotics. But anything with ammo loss would be a big turn off. Nothing ruins the flow of a raid run then when you have to hear. Gotta wait 4mins for some heavy.

Well the fix for that example would be to try and reload only on empty magazines.

I don't think this will be the route worth investing in
Looks good on paper, but adding cons to gear that are suppose to be top tier, just feels wrong to me

I mean I can see uncommon, rare, legendaries have drawbacks, exotic should be the thing that is literally that, an exotic, a piece of such craftsmanship that it's a huge net benefit to any other piece slotted in

You want your stand out gear pieces to be sought out, chased after, cause in the long run, the benefits can alter gameplay
Can you imagine say Gjallarhorn had like yeah you can do damage on an obscene level with wolfpacks but if brought into raid does 50% less damage, it would really not be the sought magical weapon people dreamed of getting

A drawback like that would be kinda lame if it was just a "it sucks in these activities". Why not instead, they have a rocket launcher that does ridiculous damage, but it doesn't fire in a straight line? Instead it has an arc and has to be fired more like a mortor? Maybe a very powerful scout rifle that slightly damages you when you miss?

GraveRobberX

Ok good. It just caught me by surprise that there was that blurb of competitive multiplayer under the expansion. Figured there is no way they would release the game without a pvp mode. Just needed to make sure.

Most likely that is new a new mode or returning mode remixed in some way

Every expansion has introduced a new mode into PvP
We will get the basics of PvP, wondering if all kids carry over or some do, some go back o getting fixed/adjusted and reintroduced

Maybe Trials will get fleshed out more in the expansion that has the name to it
They can build upon it

Three years of Destiny and all data the Bungie loves to gather, must play into their timeline on how things should be fitting in

I mean Destiny 2 right off the bat is Cabal vs Us, we'll get the other Darkness factions to crash the party, but you know the main theme revolving around D2 at the start is Cabal and their Empire
Osiris most likely has us dealing with Hive/Vex
Rasputin Hive/Fallen
Then when next years Destiny 2 TTK releases mostly will be Taken based due to unfinished business from one
(I'm just guessing here, don't take this is as legit)

So there are things already they could build upon or start from scratch, it's just wait and see till the 18th of May and how some of the game plays and if story lore tidbits given

Well the fix for that example would be to try and reload only on empty magazines.

A drawback like that would be kinda lame if it was just a "it sucks in these activities". Why not instead, they have a rocket launcher that does ridiculous damage, but it doesn't fire in a straight line? Instead it has an arc and has to be fired more like a mortor? Maybe a very powerful scout rifle that slightly damages you when you miss?
Technically they already have an exotic that hurts you. Called the Touch of Malice. Pretty neat weapon and take a bit to earn it.
Annnd they nerfed it of course :D

Idk at the end of the day. Having to account for exotics that have faults while in the chaos of a raid might be too much. Malice was a tad easier to work with before the nerf.
Includng pvp as well last thing people would want is something like let's say bones of eao in exchange for extra jump lowers movement speed. Meh

GraveRobberX

They can, but what we've seen Bungie do over these 3 years, they've tried to plateau the landscape if anything becomes to much of a good thing
Meta speak or just overall usage

Drawbacks are in some exotics, like Proximity detonation from Gjallar (Year 1) or Touch of Malice (Year 2)
Most were used situational
Bungie created the monster and has been trying it's best to put it back in the closet with weapons and armor going overkill then getting nerfed to hell and back
Same for powers and classe, they overpower then crank it down, not underpower and crank up

Two Words

Technically they already have an exotic that hurts you. Called the Touch of Malice. Pretty neat weapon and take a bit to earn it.
Annnd they nerfed it of course :D

Yeah, I was thinking of that gun, but punish poor performance instead. Exotics having drawbacks so that you can have more than 1 equipped would be a great way to diversify builds because you could try to min/max through gear. Right now, only having 1 exotic equipped for weapons and armor doesn't allow for much diversity.

sinkfla87

It was early December 2014 I believe.
When people were killing Crota with an exotic cord pull

I remember we were raiding and needed a 6th so we found a guy on LFG. We were stuck at Crota and this random kid jumps in telling us about the cord pull method. We thought he was full of shit but when he proved himself to be true our fucking minds were blown. That kid will always be the GOAT to me.

Two Words

They can, but what we've seen Bungie do over these 3 years, they've tried to plateau the landscape if anything becomes to much of a good thing
Meta speak or just overall usage

Drawbacks are in some exotics, like Proximity detonation from Gjallar (Year 1) or Touch of Malice (Year 2)
Most were used situational
Bungie created the monster and has been trying it's best to put it back in the closet with weapons and armor going overkill then getting nerfed to hell and back
Same for powers and classe, they overpower then crank it down, not underpower and crank up

Destiny's #1 problem since launch hasn't been its story or its excessive grind requirements. It's biggest problem has been that Bungie wants you to play it the way that they envisioned it, and they will kill anything emergent within the game that becomes a distraction to that. It often feels like they build raid mechanics and classes and gear in a certain way where they want us to play in a minimal set of ways. It is probably a lot easier to balance that way, but it gets pretty dull. As a loot game, it needs to embrace the fact that stuff is going to get overpowered at times. That's not a big deal on the PvE side. Just introduce tougher challenges. Nobody enjoys being nerfed, and they need to stop chopping down gear.

Part of the issue imo is how pvp and pve are tied together. Mythoclast was OP as fuck in pvp...well gotta nerf it then. But fuck you pve players.

Feel like a broken record, but I'm sick of nerfs. Bungie hasn't learned in 3 years how to deal with this shite. Maybe they figured something else in this new destiny idk.

GraveRobberX

Yeah, I was thinking of that gun, but punish poor performance instead. Exotics having drawbacks so that you can have more than 1 equipped would be a great way to diversify builds because you could try to min/max through gear. Right now, only having 1 exotic equipped for weapons and armor doesn't allow for much diversity.

The point was 1 exotic on each side was suppose to give you the extra push
Give you an extra ability missing from your arsenal due to certain choices you made

If you were a Defender Titan, it was real good to have Saint Helm-14
For Raid sometimes Glasshouse made it better for survivability

One piece on your Armor side made things change up
Having extra exotics slotted in just because now there are drawbacks doesn't really create new combos or get diversity builds going
Just creates now of a shoehorning least problematic gear into slots and getting on with it

Earlier in the thread some poster was like why we can't create different hybrid classes from base class and use gear to create a huge swath of playable classes
No light level or gear score, just add gear/weapons onto class to fit certain molds, such as a Glass Canon or Pure Tank or Health Mage
For that to work, Dsstiny as a whole would have to shift their foundation from what it is to become something completely different

Even exotics with drawbacks feels like a big fundamental shift and adding more pieces of exotics on top of that just adds more problem then solution

Destiny's #1 problem since launch hasn't been its story or its excessive grind requirements. It's biggest problem has been that Bungie wants you to play it the way that they envisioned it, and they will kill anything emergent within the game that becomes a distraction to that. It often feels like they build raid mechanics and classes and gear in a certain way where they want us to play in a minimal set of ways. It is probably a lot easier to balance that way, but it gets pretty dull. As a loot game, it needs to embrace the fact that stuff is going to get overpowered at times. That's not a big deal on the PvE side. Just introduce tougher challenges. Nobody enjoys being nerfed, and they need to stop chopping down gear.

Destiny is not and was never supposed to be Diablo/Borderlands/Path of Exile. You keep saying it needs to be that when it doesn't. It's much, much closer to WoW and it was always designed to be that way. That means classes will have narrower builds than games like the previously mentioned and that's intentional. It's a good thing for people who like MMO-esque games. Maybe just accept that this isn't the game that you want it to be instead of repeatedly demanding that it become what you want.

GraveRobberX

And winter 2017 is like a 9 day window.

Umm... Winter 2017 can be from December 20th to March 20th
Not 9 days
It's not like January 1st 2018, Winter 2017 quarter magically becomes Winter 2018 quarter

They gave themselves time
Either it will launch at the end of December or they have all of January, February, and 2/3rds of March to get it out
Same for Spring 2018, could be March, April, May, hell even June!
Nothing is set in stone
It's when they get it done and no plan changes or some delay to cover their asses

Two Words

The point was 1 exotic on each side was suppose to give you the extra push
Give you an extra ability missing from your arsenal due to certain choices you made

If you were a Defender Titan, it was real good to have Saint Helm-14
For Raid sometimes Glasshouse made it better for survivability

One piece on your Armor side made things change up
Having extra exotics slotted in just because now there are drawbacks doesn't really create new combos or get diversity builds going
Just creates now of a shoehorning least problematic gear into slots and getting on with it

Earlier in the thread some poster was like why we can't create different hybrid classes from base class and use gear to create a huge swath of playable classes
No light level or gear score, just add gear/weapons onto class to fit certain molds, such as a Glass Canon or Pure Tank or Health Mage
For that to work, Dsstiny as a whole would have to shift their foundation from what it is to become something completely different

Even exotics with drawbacks feels like a big fundamental shift and adding more pieces of exotics on top of that just adds more problem then solution
I'm that poster you were referring to. I don't see how exotics having drawbacks couldn't be used to diversify builds. Exotics could potentially be specced to do a lot of things. Frankly, I wish we could equip more than 1 exotic. I get the argument from Bungie that if they did that, you'd only wear exotics and all legendary gear would be useless. That's a fair point, but legendary gear is not holding up its end of the bargain at this point. There really isn't anything "legendary" about legendary gear. They have a couple more perks over rare, but the perks are typically meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Exotics having drawbacks is something they could do to allow guardians to spec their build in a certain way. I'm going in with the attitude that there will be A LOT more gear/exotics in Destiny 2. Like, they need to really just let them pour. If there is a large pool of exotics, then allowing you to equip multiple exotics at the cost of drawbacks would allow you to experience more of the loot and allow them to create more diverse gear that lets you build your character a certain way. It's not the only way Destiny could go, but it is one way they could incorporate more diverse builds in Destiny 2.

Destiny is not and was never supposed to be Diablo/Borderlands/Path of Exile. You keep saying it needs to be that when it doesn't. It's much, much closer to WoW and it was always designed to be that way. That means classes will have narrower builds than games like the previously mentioned and that's intentional. It's a good thing for people who like MMO-esque games. Maybe just accept that this isn't the game that you want it to be instead of repeatedly demanding that it become what you want.

I don't know how anybody can play Destiny and think it is closer to WoW than Boarderlands or Diablo. Destiny is through-and-through a loot game.The guy in your avatar says as much himself.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Two Worlds wants Destiny to be a different game. That's really all there is to it at this point.

Two Words

Two Worlds wants Destiny to be a different game. That's really all there is to it at this point.

This is just blindly dismissing the game that Destiny is. Destiny is closer to games like Borderlands, Diablo and Warframe than World of Warcraft. Hell, Bungie talked to the Diablo 3 team for assistance when making The Taken King.

GraveRobberX

Two Worlds I see what you want, but for the 3 years the dedicated who have played this see Bungie not going this route

I even joke we Beta tested 3 years of Destiny just so Destiny 2 hopefully takes all that data of them nerfing, buffing, nerfing again
Using community feedback of certain things getting streamlined
Getting content to at least match what they're trying to sell you on
Then Quality of Life updates just to make your daily investment not feel like a chore

From Day 1 Alpha till today, I can say to you Bungie and Destiny as whole is not going in the direction you're looking for
You can request it, you have a right to do so, hell if they add it in, great for you, others will have to adjust

At the moment I'm seeing Bungie really trying to line up everything and fire off with a bang and not stop
Hoping they've learned from their mistakes and see them try to appease the community at large who still plays their game day in day out

If anything Destiny most likely will be more gear intuitive with more random perks and abilities
More stuff thrown at you to accomplish just to gear up to reach certain thresholds

I wouldn't be surprised if they go a little more WoW lite in the tier based gear progression
Gating content to at least respectable levels rather than just letting everything get steamrolled instantly

They want people to make progress but in stepping stones, not like Year 1 where everyone hit cap within a day and started the real grind of loot cave for legendaries to get Nightfall access then eventually VoG a week later
Then cockblocking the whole community with Forever29 and the % Damage for being underleveled

Two Words

My name isn't Two Worlds, btw.

No, it's accepting the game that Destiny is. And it's in my top 10 games of all time.

You don't like Destiny man. That's fine. We get it.
You're kinda proving my point by literally disregarding the rest of my post.

Two Worlds I see what you want, but for the 3 years the dedicated who have played this see Bungie not going this route

I even joke we Beta tested 3 years of Destiny just so Destiny 2 hopefully takes all that data of them nerfing, buffing, nerfing again
Using community feedback of certain things getting streamlined
Getting content to at least match what they're trying to sell you on
Then Quality of Life updates just to make your daily investment not feel like a chore

From Day 1 Alpha till today, I can say to you Bungie and Destiny as whole is not going in the direction you're looking for
You can request it, you have a right to do so, hell if they add it in, great for you, others will have to adjust

At the moment I'm seeing Bungie really trying to line up everything and fire off with a bang and not stop
Hoping they've learned from their mistakes and see them try to appease the community at large who still plays their game day in day out

If anything Destiny most likely will be more gear intuitive with more random perks and abilities
More stuff thrown at you to accomplish just to gear up to reach certain thresholds

I wouldn't be surprised if they go a little more WoW lite in the tier based gear progression
Gating content to at least respectable levels rather than just letting everything get steamrolled instantly

They want people to make progress but in stepping stones, not like Year 1 where everyone hit cap within a day and started the real grind of loot cave for legendaries to get Nightfall access then eventually VoG a week later
Then cockblocking the whole community with Forever29 and the % Damage for being underleveled

Some people in this thread act like they know what people at Bungie are thinking in a way that I don't get. I hear a lot of "That isn't what Destiny is supposed to be" and these claims are often unsubstantiated. There isn't some dogma we can turn to and see what Destiny must be. Destiny is a loot game with light MMO mechanics. That is as much as Bungie has always described the game.

Maybe Bungie has a different vision for Destiny 2, I don't know. But I don't get how others hear can act like they DO know. What we've been hearing for 3 years is that Destiny was plagued with development issues that hurt it in many ways. Really, we don't know what Bungie's full vision of Destiny was, but we know that it wasn't the end result of what we've been playing these past 3 years.

And I don't see how what I was saying is mutually exclusive to what you were saying about Destiny having MMO progressions. I haven't played MMOs very much, but I would imagine the experience would be very boring if it didn't have the ability to build your characters a certain way with skills and gear.

Lothars

This is just blindly dismissing the game that Destiny is. Destiny is closer to games like Borderlands, Diablo and Warframe than World of Warcraft. Hell, Bungie talked to the Diablo 3 team for assistance when making The Taken King.
No its accepting what destiny is and not wanting it to be something that it's not. I think equipping multiple exotics like your saying with drawbacks and the such would be a huge negative and a determint to the game.

Two Words

No its accepting what destiny is and not wanting it to be something that it's not. I think equipping multiple exotics like your saying with drawbacks and the such would be a huge negative and a determint to the game.

There isn't anything about Destiny that inherently MUST only let you equip one exotic at a time. If you don't like the idea, that is fine. But it is silly to act like it is somehow absolutely against what makes Destiny "Destiny". It is a way that Bungie could go with Destiny. Maybe they will. Maybe they won't.

Frankly, I often hear these "Idea X is not what game Y is supposed to be about" as ways to baselessly disregard an idea as not viable.

I don't know how anybody can play Destiny and think it is closer to WoW than Boarderlands or Diablo. Destiny is through-and-through a loot game.The guy in your avatar says as much himself.

Raids, Dungeons, each class has 3 skill trees, gear and weapons comes in specific archetypes with specific parameters of what they can do, Gear Score limiting what activities you can do, etc...

WoW and Diablo share certain elements in their DNA, primarily due to both being Blizzard games, but Destiny's core design borrows a lot more from WoW's execution than it does from Diablo's.

Bungie talked to the Diablo team because of similarities in the two products in regards to having a big release with a backlash and they have the same publisher. Diablo won back fans, so Bungie sought advice on that front.

The only thing that they reportedly discussed was drop rates. Something that Luke Smith had already been talking about adjusting.

Two Words

Raids, Dungeons, each class has 3 skill trees, gear and weapons comes in specific archetypes with specific parameters of what they can do, Gear Score limiting what activities you can do, etc...

WoW and Diablo share certain elements in their DNA, primarily due to both being Blizzard games, but Destiny's core design borrows a lot more from WoW's execution than it does from Diablo's.

Bungie talked to the Diablo team because of similarities in the two products in regards to having a big release with a backlash and they have the same publisher. Diablo won back fans, so Bungie sought advice on that front.

The only thing that they reportedly discussed was drop rates. Something that Luke Smith had already been talking about adjusting.
A lot of loot games have all of the things you just listed. I don't see how these are features that inherently make Destiny an MMO or for some reason make it so that the idea of multiple exotics equipped with drawbacks as somehow "against the way of Destiny".

My argument hasn't even been that Destiny isn't a lite MMO. I've been arguing that the two aren't mutually exclusive. I just don't get how so many people can try and deny that Destiny is a loot game. It plays like many other loot games and has many of the same tropes of loot games.

Top Bottom