• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 (PC/XB1/PS4, Sep 8) CG reveal trailer, pre-orders, gameplay debut May 18th

Bry0

I don't know how anybody can play Destiny and think it is closer to WoW than Boarderlands or Diablo. Destiny is through-and-through a loot game.The guy in your avatar says as much himself.

Yeah, and I think the way gear progression works inched a bit closer to diablo in ttk than vanilla. That being said, I think it is pretty clear that Destiny is structured more like an MMO than a game like diablo. There is a lot of emphasis on doing group content to attain the "best" gear. Classes and sub-classes are designed around having a pretty specific role as well with gear that seems to enhance that role (saint 14), not a skill tree where you can mix and match to create builds around a skill (like skull grasp in diablo 3).
The game's structure is somewhere in between arpg and mmo, but I think a lot of major design decisions in destiny make it pretty clear they intended for it to lean more towards mmo. I assume the one exotic limit is to force you to choose your exotic situationally, and control power creep without having to make exotics weak, and keep people from blowing through all the content while decked out in exotics.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Two Words (apologies for wrong name) Playing over 3 years you get an inkling into how Destiny is performing and can see what they want

They want to make it more casual experience
They tried to go the hardcore route, but it wasn't in there best interests

They forced changes and dictated play to a certain way due to the molds they created
Community did fight back, certain things were kept other things changed
They saw there game and content getting ingested way too quickly
They adjusted TTK to favor prolonged fights
They didn't add perks that were meaningful cause even one of them could break their whole system down

They just wanted to leave old gen behind but we're caught in that bind
So they just went with what they had and tried there best to keep some balance going
Upgrading to a point literally got pointless until certain side grading options at least alleviated and brought choices into the mix

Going forward they want the players not to feel burdened down
That's why we are losing everything

Starting again, anew
From what we know through rumors and hints is they want the Shared online world to be more expanded upon
You're not bogged down by certain things such as going to orbit to pick certain modes or hubs to group up

They want to seamlessly make you the Guardian travel within the universe without getting that break/pause feeling of stop doing everything and go out somewhere else to start an activity

Gear-wise they'll most likely keep the progression they have and build upon it
We went from the original 7 slots to 10
Stats to reach Tier 12 gave you a small advantage
Then the perks on top added to it
They'll most likely see where it was the best for the community

Hopefully all Quality of Life changes carry over
Such as destination materials bonuses/purchases, bounties more streamlined, factions standing out more, refresh of markets
Then daily/weekly bonuses to keep people engaged and playing

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So, Destiny 2 is still pending rating. I bet Destiny 2 will be rated Mature. One of the reasons Grimoire was not in Destiny 1 was to salvage their T rating, and one of the biggest complaints in D1 was Grimoire not being in game. So it can go two ways: they neuter the Grimoire so they can put it in, or they go M and still add in Grimoire. I hope it's the latter.

I really have this feeling last gen really made them gut a lot of things
Grimorie being not in I wouldn't surprised was due to memory issues

Reason WotM expansion was only current gen
Iirc one of the Raid bosses couldn't even be put in due to memory issues if they kept last gen active
Hell just the Zamboni part of the Raid you can see the chugging and utter lag created due to headcount of enemies and other things going off

A lot of loot games have all of the things you just listed. I don't see how these are features that inherently make Destiny an MMO or for some reason make it so that the idea of multiple exotics equipped with drawbacks as somehow "against the way of Destiny".

My argument hasn't even been that Destiny isn't a lite MMO. I've been arguing that the two aren't mutually exclusive. I just don't get how so many people can try and deny that Destiny is a loot game. It plays like many other loot games and has many of the same tropes of loot games.

This just seems to be a lack of knowledge on your part. Every aspect of what you credit it being a loot game for, is something that's present in every MMO. What makes loot games and MMO's different are the Massively Multiplayer part and that gear in loot games are random while gear in MMO's stick to archetypes that either have completely fixed stats (i.e. the original design for Raid gear and Exotics in Destiny) or stats that fall within a range of possibilities specific to the archetype.

Gear in loot games plays a huge part in defining your build. This isn't true of MMO gear design. Gear in those games supports/enhances your build.

Foxxsoxx

I really hope they expand on subclasses drastically in D2. I want options on top of options for how to change up my playstyle. Also they really need to rethink making exotics mostly useless, it's so boring.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So, Destiny 2 is still pending rating. I bet Destiny 2 will be rated Mature. One of the reasons Grimoire was not in Destiny 1 was to salvage their T rating, and one of the biggest complaints in D1 was Grimoire not being in game. So it can go two ways: they neuter the Grimoire so they can put it in, or they go M and still add in Grimoire. I hope it's the latter.

This isn't remotely true.

Two Words

Two Words (apologies for wrong name) Playing over 3 years you get an inkling into how Destiny is performing and can see what they want

They want to make it more casual experience
They tried to go the hardcore route, but it wasn't in there best interests

They forced changes and dictated play to a certain way due to the molds they created
Community did fight back, certain things were kept other things changed
They saw there game and content getting ingested way too quickly
They adjusted TTK to favor prolonged fights
They didn't add perks that were meaningful cause even one of them could break their whole system down

They just wanted to leave old gen behind but we're caught in that bind
So they just went with what they had and tried there best to keep some balance going
Upgrading to a point literally got pointless until certain side grading options at least alleviated and brought choices into the mix

Going forward they want the players not to feel burdened down
That's why we are losing everything

Starting again, anew
From what we know through rumors and hints is they want the Shared online world to be more expanded upon
You're not bogged down by certain things such as going to orbit to pick certain modes or hubs to group up

They want to seamlessly make you the Guardian travel within the universe without getting that break/pause feeling of stop doing everything and go out somewhere else to start an activity

Gear-wise they'll most likely keep the progression they have and build upon it
We went from the original 7 slots to 10
Stats to reach Tier 12 gave you a small advantage
Then the perks on top added to it
They'll most likely see where it was the best for the community

Hopefully all Quality of Life changes carry over
Such as destination materials bonuses/purchases, bounties more streamlined, factions standing out more, refresh of markets
Then daily/weekly bonuses to keep people engaged and playing

I experienced a lot of what you're talking about first hand. The feeling I get from most people here is that they don't want Destiny 2 to change that much. It almost feels like they just want Destiny 2 to be a big expansion when it comes to the way the game actually plays. Personally, I want them to completely throw away the blueprint of gameplay from Destiny 1 and rethink things. That isn't saying that it needs to play totally different from Destiny 1. But I really hope they don't have the attitude that a lot of the components to Destiny's gameplay are sacred and unchangeable.

This just seems to be a lack of knowledge on your part. Every aspect of what you credit it being a loot game for, is something that's present in every MMO. What makes loot games and MMO's different are the Massively Multiplayer part and that gear in loot games are random while gear in MMO's stick to archetypes that either have completely fixed stats (i.e. the original design for Raid gear and Exotics in Destiny) or stats that fall within a range of possibilities specific to the archetype.

Gear in loot games plays a huge part in defining your build. This isn't true of MMO gear design. Gear in those games supports/enhances your build.

Loot games can have gear that has non-randomly generated perks. By your definition, Warframe isn't a loot game when it clearly is. I just don't get this denial that Destiny is a loot game. Its like people here act like that pigeonholes it into some sort of playstyle or something.

Bry0

Loot games can have gear that has non-randomly generated perks. By your definition, Warframe isn't a loot game when it clearly is. I just don't get this denial that Destiny is a loot game. Its like people here act like that pigeonholes it into some sort of playstyle or something.

I don't think he is saying Destiny is not a loot game, it's just that loot in destiny works to enhance your character in a fundamentally different way than it does in an arpg like diablo.
Loot is not quite as critical to your build as it is in diablo or POE.
Destiny kind of sits somewhere in between an arpg and an mmo as far as loot goes. At least in my opinion.

Two Words

I don't think he is saying Destiny is not a loot game, it's just that loot in destiny works to enhance your character in a fundamentally different way than it does in an arpg like diablo.
Destiny kind of sits somewhere in between an arpg and an mmo as far as loot goes. At least in my opinion.

I think there is a lot of playroom between what Destiny is today and what Diablo 3 is. I brought up the idea of exotics having specced drawbacks so that you could have multiple exotics equipped. Basically, make exotics really powerful, but have a cost associated with them. People respond saying that "isn't what Destiny is about". But it's not like them adding a bit more to the gear is going to make a piece of equipment in Destiny look like this:

Xbox_Multiplayer_458.jpg

Bold One

I don't think even Bungie know Destiny is. But it's potential is almost limitless, it's what gets us so excited.

Honestly, I am still holding out for a new class and new enemies instead of the same ones we've been fighting for 3 years. I know it's the Cabal's turn to shine and I'm happy for Gary and his mates, but I hate fighting the Cabal.

Wait. Was this confirmed? Where did you hear that from?

eggandI

Banned
Can you explain whats so different about destiny in this regard?

ZeoVGM

Banned
So did they announce raid matchmaking yet?

No, they haven't announced any actual details of the game features yet.

The hope is that there will be some sort of in-game LFG that can be used for Raids, as well as optional matchmaking for all other activities.

Absolutely no excuse not to with a sequel that's built from the ground up.

IHaveIce

Banned
No, it's accepting the game that Destiny is. And it's in my top 10 games of all time.

You don't like Destiny man. That's fine. We get it.
So because you like it it is free of any criticism how the game could be better and fill a bigger spot?

Allright

Tovarisc

I don't think it was memory issues. I believe the reasoning was that some Grimoire had adult themes, so to keep their T rating, they left Grimoire out. There's a high chance that Grimorie will be in-game for Destiny 2, so there's two scenarios that will play out: they'll either bitch out and nerf the Grimoire to fit their T rating, or they'll leave it as is and take the M rating.

Memory limited last-gen played big part in Destiny's development, e.g. stash size couldn't be increased because of it. Only after they dropped memory capped last-gen they were able to increase stash size for players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIp7vZuYzoA

Never forget.

For me, the bare minimum passing grade for Destiny 2 is for them to finally achieve the functional pitch they shared with Destiny's original gameplay reveal.

Seamless in-out co-op that feels cohesive, enemies that feel designed with the environment, the sense of space teased by the expanse of the first reveal, and a good cinematic story that's engaging.

Finally become legend, please.

Hikari

Neo Member

Never forget.

For me, the bare minimum passing grade for Destiny 2 is for them to finally achieve the functional pitch they shared with Destiny's original gameplay reveal.

Seamless in-out co-op that feels cohesive, enemies that feel designed with the environment, the sense of space teased by the expanse of the first reveal, and a good cinematic story that's engaging.

I just noticed that inside the Dreadnaught was shown at the end. It was a cutscene but you can tell thats where it takes place.

Tovarisc

Never forget.

What you mean with "enemies that feel designed with the environment"? Only humans are native to this solar system and even then only to planet Earth, other races and even humans on other planet will... look out of place in a way.

I just noticed that inside the Dreadnaught was shown at the end. It was a cutscene but you can tell thats where it takes place.

And cabal being main antagonist race was originally planned as DLC for D1.

Never forget.

Watching that made me realise how much I wanted the scout rifle frames to stay as the pulse rifle frames.

I think it will feel like a more seemless experience. Shinobi talked about how they were integrating that better so you arent left waiting doing nothing. Hoping monster designs are more diverse too and less reskins in expansions.

What you mean with "enemies that feel designed with the environment"? Only humans are native to this solar system and even then only to planet Earth, other races and even humans on other planet will... look out of place in a way.

I don't remember enemies in Destiny (vanilla) moving around the environment like they could pop out from anywhere. Maybe it's my memory playing tricks on me, but their positioning and appearances largely feel static unless they're designated mini-bosses.

I'd like to be able to, in spaces with a lot of high vents or metal railings, to see enemies jumping form railing to railing aiming to ambush me, etc.

I think it will feel like a more seemless experience. Shinobi talked about how they were integrating that better so you arent left waiting doing nothing. Hoping monster designs are more diverse too and less reskins in expansions.

I'm pretty confident too, but at the same time, I don't want D2 to simply be the fully realised vision of the D1 pitch. I'd like to be surprised as well, in more ways than one.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Destiny 2 will be a story teller and I hope I'm right
cuz Destiny 1 was like a D then ES .... tiny , so please give us the whole word this time

Still this game took almost my entire life time

Theorry

Watching that made me realise how much I wanted the scout rifle frames to stay as the pulse rifle frames.

Funny thing is. The whole prelease thing never got me hyped. Wasnt planning on buying it. Then i played the beta and the gameplay was great but still wasnt sold. Alot of buddies got the game so still got it just to play with them. But 3 years later its my most played game this gen and the memories this game created is crazy. Even tho it never became the game everybody thought it was gonna be but somehow that was a good thing for me.

Funny thing is. The whole prelease thing never got me hyped. Wasnt planning on buying it. Then i played the beta and the gameplay was great but still wasnt sold. Alot of buddies got the game so still got it just to play with them. But 3 years later its my most played game this gen and the memories this game created is crazy. Even tho it never became the game everybody thought it was gonna be but somehow that was a good thing for me.

It's the same for me. The game fell short of its vision even with TTK, but it's still a really, really fun game that's addictive and enjoyable.

If I look at games like Red Dead Redemption or TLOU and think how a sequel would feel for said games, I don't necessarily imagine there could be a quantum leap of improvements for the sequel given how rock-solid the execution of ideas are in the original game.

But for Destiny? The sky's the limit. Looking at how they talked about the game and the final product, it feels like they've only hit 50-60% of their intended vision, but even that was a really enjoyable game. The foundation to build on and iterate is immense and it is my hope that Bungie pushes the sequel-leap to its limit.

Got a source for that? Figured it was simply due to development upheaval and memory issues.

Coxy100

Banned

Never forget.

What I gleaned from that - is that Americans say 'sweet' a lot?

Also bosses weren't such bullet sponges then

Tovarisc

I don't remember enemies in Destiny (vanilla) moving around the environment like they could pop out from anywhere. Maybe it's my memory playing tricks on me, but their positioning and appearances largely feel static unless they're designated mini-bosses.

I'd like to be able to, in spaces with a lot of high vents or metal railings, to see enemies jumping form railing to railing aiming to ambush me, etc.

Ah, in that sense.

Will be interesting to see if they move away from MMO-like pack placement or if they use same design again. If they go MMO-like route again they should do more environmental storytelling to support more static mob placement, e.g. have Fallen actively scan and rip some broken tech apart for salvage.

TsuWave

3 years in now it feels so weird to see those scout frames shooting like pulses and pulse frames shooting like scouts. I wanna scratch my eye. lol at the handcannon being a secondary/special too.

Bold One

A lot changed from that 2013 footage.

Imagine being able to land anywhere in the Cosmodrome like that titan that joined them...

Bry0

Can you explain whats so different about destiny in this regard?

I think another user already put it really well.

There is much less stat variance in gear, skill choices, and more clearly defined and rigid roles in destiny than in something like grim dawn, poe, and diablo. Destiny was not design to be fps diablo, and it's gear progression reflects that.

I feel like we are saying what destiny was meant to to be and forget that destiny was severely impacted by dev issues and story changes. It was also handicapped by last gen. We have no idea if the base character mechanics will be expanded or not. They once stated all sorts of things would be impacted by how you play, yes, that has changed. We really don't know what they intend to do with destiny 2. We can't say that just because something was how it was in destiny, that'll be the same in destiny 2.

Bry0

I feel like we are saying what destiny was meant to to be and forget that destiny was severely impacted by dev issues and story changes. It was also handicapped by last gen. We have no idea if the base character mechanics will be expanded or not. They once stated all sorts of things would be impacted by how you play, yes, that has changed. We really don't know what they intend to do with destiny 2. We can't say that just because something was how it was in destiny, that'll be the same in destiny 2.

Yeah that is very true. I'm really excited to see what they change and do. Despite the original not being what they pitched it to be, I still adored the game. There is amazing potential in a sequel and I do hope they inch closer to the original vision. Not being shackled by last gen could mean good things for map size and weapon count too.

void666

Banned
Something i hope is that bungie can make patrol areas being fun on itself. Even if you don't have quests or bounties patrol should be worthwhile.

No, they haven't announced any actual details of the game features yet.

The hope is that there will be some sort of in-game LFG that can be used for Raids, as well as optional matchmaking for all other activities.

Absolutely no excuse not to with a sequel that's built from the ground up.

Raids should have matchmaking too. No excuse for that.

Dont like it? Dont use it.

First I've heard of this. Where does it come from?

Destiny is not a loot game. It is way too stingy with drops to be a loot game.

I hope Destiny 2 fixes this. Everything needs to be dropping useful, interesting gear all the time. And no 3 times a week for raid drops. Let me run every thing all the time.

No more three of coins, make exotics super rare drops.

Have crafting and re-rolling economies.

I'll grind all day long if there is Diablo 3 type of loot.

E92 M3

Destiny is not a loot game. It is way too stingy with drops to be a loot game.

I hope Destiny 2 fixes this. Everything needs to be dropping useful, interesting gear all the time. And no 3 times a week for raid drops. Let me run every thing all the time.

No more three of coins, make exotics super rare drops.

Have crafting and re-rolling economies.

I'll grind all day long if there is Diablo 3 type of loot.

Destiny is very GENEROUS now, but it would be a dream come true if it's like Diablo 3.

Mindlog

I don't like it when the goal is to get loot as opposed to using that loot.
I want to use my Necrochasm in arc strikes this week, but I don't want to kill a few dozen more ogres for the privilege of using the same gun again.

Stingy with loot drops? Maybe in year one, but it rains loot now in raids.

Actually became a complaint in WoTM, because it was so easy to get everything you never needed to re-run much.

Re-rolling should only ever be for armor.

Stingy with loot drops? Maybe in year one, but it rains loot now in raids.

Actually became a complaint in WoTM, because it was so easy to get everything you never needed to re-run much.

Re-rolling should only ever be for armor.
Sure you can get the raid set easily but that's it. You get no other loot. That applies only to WOTM (so maybe a good sign)

What I mean is raids should be a source of constant high level loot and/or rare crafting materials.

Sure you can get the raid set easily but that's it. You get no other loot. That applies only to WOTM (so maybe a good sign)

What I mean is raids should be a source of constant high level loot and/or rare crafting materials.
Ummm it always is? Raids, Trials, Forge, and packages are sources of high lvl loot.

They used to have ascendant shards and the like. Shit clogs up the inventory. Really could careless for crafting materials in destiny. Prefer their stream lined system right now.

Kyoufu

Ummm it always is? Raids, Trials, Forge, and packages are sources of high lvl loot.

They used to have ascendant shards and the like. Shit clogs up the inventory. Really could careless for crafting materials in destiny. Prefer their stream lined system right now.

I wouldn't mind a real crafting system in D2 to make our own weapons and armour.

Warframe is a third-person co-op action game. It has a bunch of hybrid systems thrown in but that's what it is at it's core.

It's starting to seem like any game that offers any kind of gear drop is a "loot game" to you, which would make almost any RPG a "loot game" by your standards.

Destiny is very GENEROUS now, but it would be a dream come true if it's like Diablo 3.

Destiny's drop rate has improved massively but that's because of the nature of infusion and they want as many people as possible to hit LL400 and play everything as the last hurrah for D1.

Instituting a Borderlands/Diablo-esque random loot generation would but a turn off for me, personally. I much prefer having a set number of equally viable builds rather than thousands of permutations of builds that have to be OP to make every single thing viable. Raids would be a mess of explosions and effects and would need to be filled with just waves of trash mobs to account for that. That stuff isn't fun for me. I much prefer a tightly tuned encounter that comes together when the group coordinates and executes a plan.

Top Bottom