• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2, who is buying it?

T-0800

I can't get enough of control at the moment and that's will only one map to play on. I love it and I'm playing by myself. Don't think I've seen anyone quit yet.

Thebonehead

Banned
I have 2700 Hours in Destiny 1. I'm in.

Man, That's a solid obsession. Like over a year playing it for 7 hours a day.

My Bungie.net profile says 8 hours on D1. 2 Hours of the beta has been enough to convince me that I'm still not feeling what the die-hard fans do.

Melchiah

Man, That's a solid obsession. Like over a year playing it for 7 hours a day.

My Bungie.net profile says 8 hours on D1. 2 Hours of the beta has been enough to convince me that I'm still not feeling what the die-hard fans do.

I have 611 hours on the first, all the way from the alpha, yet I still don't feel like the sequel is for me.

Had it on preorder as soon as it was available. The beta has confirmed I made the right choice. The pvp changes are fantastic (including ability Cool downs) hopefully pve can get a bit of a buff in the cool downs though.

Floex

Very underwhelmed by it all. I think it's time to start showing what's actually new in the game.

Hesitant so maybe.

Human 2.0

Neo Member
Although I played a bit of the Beta to see what it's like, I'd already kind of made my mind up after ROI. I was so disappointed by ROI, it was such a poor content light effort that made me come to the conclusion that my money was better spent elsewhere.

Hope those that do jump in have a blast though.

Definitely getting it for the PC. I hardly played the original on the PS4 but I thoroughly enjoyed what little I did. Unfortunately almost all my friends are PC gamers. Looking forward to all of us playing this together!

Havoc2049

I won't be. I played the shit out of the first one for a few months, but realized soon after finishing it that my taste in games had changed. Before it came out, I was convinced that Destiny would be my favourite game ever. It had everything that I was a sucker for: FPS, Bungie, loot, character customization, and an awesome setting. However, I couldn't help but feel super let down after finishing the campaign and I will never forget that feeling. Since then, I've been way more into story driven games or games that I can pick up and play for 30 minute sessions.

In the end though, the launch campaign ended up being like 10% of the game and even that content was slightly revised to make it better.

Between the expansions of The Dark Below, The House of Wolves, The Taken King, The Rise of Iron, and the PVP events of The Queens Wrath, Trials of Osiris and the Iron Banner and events such as The Festival of the Lost, Sparrow Racing League, Crimson Days and The Dawning, I thought Destiny had a ton of content.

zMiiChy-

Banned
It baffles me to see how many people are still hyped after the release of the beta. I guess I can't be optimistic if the beta is an example of what's to come later.

(Feels like they remade D1 with less content)

Angel_DvA

It baffles me to see how many people are still hyped after the release of the beta. I guess I can't be optimistic if the beta is an example of what's to come later.

Yeah it's fucking crazy, I can already see people doing the same Strike 30+ times to drop a weapon that will be useless in the next DLC two months later...

Spoo

Definitely getting it. First, on PS4, then probably PC if I feel the upgrade will be significant enough.

Destiny 2's PvP basically sealed the deal. Countdown is the team-based mode that scratches an itch Elimination couldn't in Destiny 1. Bungie had been taking the MP in Destiny in a direction that focused on primary gunplay, but the systems in D1 couldn't really sustain many of those changes. Here the focus seems clear, the balance is there, and with a few fixes and changes the PvP can really be an awesome step forward.

PvE seemed fine. Not drastically different, and missing a few of the powerful moments of D1 (that I assume will be fixed in the future, such as cooldown balancing). A lot we haven't seen, or don't know, so you kind of have to take it or leave it based on the beta which does just enough to instill confidence that it'll be a good time.

I do think people need to remember that Destiny is a living game. What we see day one will not be what we have 3 months in, 6 months, a year, and so on. Changes will be made, trust will be renewed, hearts will be broken... the beta is what it is, but it can never really represent what Destiny is when it's a game in your hands, much less the series as a whole. I know some people are disappointed with some changes. I know others are excited. Destiny is divisive, but the experience will change over time. I may not feel upset by some of the changes Destiny 2 brings, but I am upset on behalf of those other dedicated Destiny 1 players who wanted to see a different kind of game. I'm hoping that we get to meet halfway as the game evolves.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm there day one with bells on.

I'm confident they will listen regarding the supers/fixes suggested so far by the community, loving the new focus on story and since the Beta is bare bones, there will be so much stuff to discover in the first month or so: hyped!!

Also will double dip when PC drops, since my curiosity won't let me not do so.

You're judging a final release content level by a very limited Beta test.... seems a bit off really.

Jezbollah

I don't think I'll get it. Seems like PVE balance/enjoyment takes a back seat to PVP. After seeing that approach destroy The Division and the original Destiny to a large extent, I think I'll save myself the time and money on something else.

I'll pick it up on PC when it's on some kind of discount. No way I'm paying full price ever again on a Activision production with the name "Destiny" on it.

Nodnol

Day 1. Pre-ordered it and have enjoyed the Beta.

As a vanilla Destiny player who has only just realized what they did with TTK, I'm even more excited.

All I wanted from Destiny 2 was for Bungie to have learnt from their mistakes, in terms of narrative, player progression, loot etc, and everything they've revealed seems to have looked at those things. The Beta feels good, in my opinion, so it's full steam ahead the hype train.

I may possibly but it for the campaign, the PVP I just can't seem to gel with, the same for me with Halo the pase of character movement just doesn't seem to do it for me. Maybe the fact I constantly die and blame the speed lol.

I'm really undecided, I quit after TTK and being sick of having items I worked my ass off for nerfed to hell every patch, but the prospect of a looking for group type system, and "new" stuff appealed to me, but after the beta I just don't feel it.

The weapons don't have that kick that made the first one's gunplay feel epic, and PvP seems so lame now being only 4v4 and PvE definitely feels fucked over thanks to PVP "balance" as a past Hunter with an arsenal of various rare sniper rifles for various encounters I feel like both my class and favourite guns are all shit now and likely a poor slot choice.

The whole weapon slot layout seems stupid as fuck for PvE...

I donno maybe things will change before launch, but Bungie seems too keen on forcing their idea of fun on people, and the stupid thing is, even if it's a pile of shit it will sell millions with today's market.

After doing D1 beta and then getting the real game and being like wtf I beta tested most of the game already, really sucked so I'd also like to know exactly how much day 1 content we have.

Coxy100

Banned
Enjoyed the beta but it's basically more of the same for me. Convinced me not to buy - I can't be arsed with the grind again

Destiny was a great game and I'm sure this is more of the same.

But I shall leave this battle to other guardians :)

salfordgunstar

Neo Member
i really dont know, ive played the beta, enjoyed the intro mission, but i dont know if i can face the 100s of hours i will have to grind for that decent weapon, just to have it took away when then push the next dlc

I just cancelled my pre-order. I like Destiny, but I can't justify paying money on a game as formulaic as this one in a year where we still have some GOTY contenders to come.

I'm really undecided, I quit after TTK and being sick of having items I worked my ass off for nerfed to hell every patch, but the prospect of a looking for group type system, and "new" stuff appealed to me, but after the beta I just don't feel it.

The weapons don't have that kick that made the first one's gunplay feel epic, and PvP seems so lame now being only 4v4 and PvE definitely feels fucked over thanks to PVP "balance" as a past Hunter with an arsenal of various rare sniper rifles for various encounters I feel like both my class and favourite guns are all shit now and likely a poor slot choice.

The whole weapon slot layout seems stupid as fuck for PvE...

I donno maybe things will change before launch, but Bungie seems too keen on forcing their idea of fun on people, and the stupid thing is, even if it's a pile of shit it will sell millions with today's market.

After doing D1 beta and then getting the real game and being like wtf I beta tested most of the game already, really sucked so I'd also like to know exactly how much day 1 content we have.

Their idea of fun? Its always been their idea of fun...

Sinfamy

Played Destiny since the alpha.
Gonna wait to see some reviews before I buy. Need at least a 12 hour campaign of unique content before I jump in.

E-flux

I might buy it both on PC and PS4, played a lot of destiny and now some of my friends are buying it on pc and some on the ps4 so i need to get them both if i want to play with all of them. I'm also in the army at the moment so i won't have a lot of free time to play anyway so the amount of content in the beginning doesn't really concern me since if the beta is any indication, i'm still going to love the gameplay.

Gothos

Going HAM day one on PC for sure :) Never played Destiny 1, always wanted, but playing shooter on console is a no go for me so eagerly awaiting the PC release :)

Navid

For the PvE yes, not for that PvP trash.

I just cant stomach 30fps competitive peer to peer in 2017 anymore.
The FoV is a bigger issue for me in PvP than the 30fps to be honest... I can deal with it in the PvE because the enemies are simple and predictable but in PvP it feels like I'm playing with one eye shut.

Of course I would love both a higher FPs and FoV across the whole game on consoles, but right now if I had to chose I think I would go for a higher FoV.

Have it pre ordered, I wasn't blown away by the Beta, but who am I kidding, it's Destiny, I'll be inevitably sucked in by hype, so may as well just buy it now.

Have it preorded and found the beta to be a massive disappointment .

Loved the first one and this just feels like more of the same yet somehow movement / gunplay feels slower. Will wait and see just how much content it had closer to release .

I don't play the pvp content much so it needs to have lots of pve content which I hope they do .

Shwing

Yep, already have it pre-ordered on my PS4 Pro.
The Beta has only increased my anticipation for the game!

Alebelly

Beta underwhelmed me unfortunately. Though Im sure once I sink into the main game, just like the first game, i'll be back to making poor life choices just to further my game time. But, there are so many games coming out in and around October, many of which wont require me to make life changing decisions to play, I'm going to pass on Destiny2 at launch. Im a big fan, so Ill be playing irresponsibly at some point.

Ennosuke

I will buy it, because the story in the first minutes is already way better and the gunplay is amazing. Although I am really a Destiny noob, I dropped the first game after max level.

The more difficult question is, which platform?

Xbox One: Best Controller, Need more Games for my One, played the first one here.
PS4 Pro: Better graphics, earlier content, but I don't like the DS4.
PC: Best graphics, best controls? Although for Bungie games I never missed KB+M mouse. Don't know if I want to wait 2 more months.

Hasney

Based on the beta, hell no. I know some people wanted more story, but if it's as bad as those cutscenes, I'll just get annoyed and skip anyway.

The gun class and PVP changes are also annoying. Will check out the PC beta and see if it feels better with 100+ frames and a mouse because right now, I'm not seeing any gameplay improvements which is what I hoped for.

I am simply because I'm getting it at a good price and if I don't care much for it, can always sell it for about what I payed.

Playing the beta it's nice to jump back in to Destiny after so long. But I don't really wish to invest the time like I did in the original. It was a bit life sapping completing all the daily and weekly tasks and arranging Raid groups etc. All a bit too much really.

The Alpha and the Beta for Destiny were glorious. Some of the best fun I'd ever had for free. In fact, part of my disappointment with Destiny was that it couldn't live up to the potential that the beta implied. Maybe that's something the Destiny 2 Beta is trying to avoid but, man, it's really not working. This Beta is really, really bad. Not like they owe us anything but it has managed to smother what little excitement I had left for Destiny 2 that the reveal and E3 trailers didn't already kill.

I'm still hoping this is all just bad marketing and the game ends up being the Destiny we were promised but... well, I'll be waiting for reviews.

gatti-man

The Alpha and the Beta for Destiny were glorious. Some of the best fun I'd ever had for free. In fact, part of my disappointment with Destiny was that it couldn't live up to the potential that the beta implied. Maybe that's something the Destiny 2 Beta is trying to avoid but, man, it's really not working. This Beta is really, really bad. Not like they owe us anything but it has managed to smother what little excitement I had left for Destiny 2 that the reveal and E3 trailers didn't already kill.

I'm still hoping this is all just bad marketing and the game ends up being the Destiny we were promised but... well, I'll be waiting for reviews.

This is how I feel but I'm still keeping my preorder. I'm sure Bungie will make a game that I like. I may not LOVE it like I did D1 but I still think it's worth a day 1 purchase.

Thebonehead

Banned
Strangely, I played the first hour again, but this time with a pair of headphones on ( Which always helps with the immersion).

Second time around I was getting quite into it so back on the fence again.

Maybe I'll wait and get it on the Xbox One X - which will be a couple of months behind the release of D2.

Top Bottom