• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2, who is buying it?

Clunker

I'm in. I was in before the beta, but was wavering on whether to do the full "game & first expacs" option until this week. After playing the beta for the solo mission, strike and a quick round of control, it was set in stone for me - locked in my preorder!

I didn't really read online reactions until yesterday, and I saw a metric ton of negative reactions, but it sounds like a totally different game to me - I play pretty casually, and I'm feeling all of the minor changes from D1, which I spent a huge amount of time (for me, anyway) on PS3 before starting over and building back up to raid-level on XB1.

For anyone who's on the fence, just play the open beta and ignore any online reactions - try it yourself.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'm still pretty divided, but for way different reasons than I would have thought a week ago. In D1, for me the PvP was trash, and PvE was awesome, though limited. In D2, the PvP has my attention in a big way, but the PvE is just so damn repetitive. The dual primary system works great in PvP, but it just sucks the life out of PvE. I just don't trust Bungie as a developer to maintain their PvP and not let it devolve like D1 did. This would be the first PvP FPS I've legitimately focused on since Halo 2, back when Live first opened. Not sure if I wanna take that gamble, or wait it out for a few months and play catch up.

Hzoltan69

Destiny is my GOAT, so I'll be buying this no matter what.
A bit conflicted between PS4 or PC, but I'll most likely choose the former, because that's where most of my friends will be.

Note to Bungie: I would double dip immediately if there was cross-save between PS4 and PC.

I'm on the fence. Liked the beta but is a very time consuming game and I won't be having much time when it launches, plus I don't have any friends to play with.

Marcoos

Not for me, too much time required in doing daily or weekly stuff to keep up and be able to do raids with others. I found if I left it too long I was falling behind others I would do raids with.

I'd rather use my gradually more limited gaming time playing a experiencing a variety of different games.

To be fair I did enjoy the first in terms of making new friends and having fun doing the raids. But it all got a bit all too consuming :(

Probably a no for me. Played the beta last night, didn't do much for me. Granted, I wasn't the biggest D1 dork but I played my fair share of it regardless. This feels too similar in some ways and what differences are there kinda suck.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know...

I played a lot of Destiny 1 (Alpha, Beta, final release and all expansions), and I'm concerned with what they are showing. I also just played the story mission from the beta and I'm very much underwhelmed.

Destiny 2 should've been an opportunity for Bungie to build upon and expand what was already there, but I don't feel that they are actually doing that.

Social spaces didn't change over the course of the story in Destiny 1, and it made them kind of boring and static. They say they've improved this in Destiny 2, but what we've seen from the Farm doesn't actually show us that. It just looks like another static social space with all the same things in it, only there's a goal for the ball now. Why not show those supposed improvements by showing us the Farm at two different points in the story? What changes should we expect? Just a changed animation loop? Show us!

In Destiny 1, acquiring high-end gear was basically waiting for them to pop up at the side of the screen after an activity. Have they looked at that at all? Is there perhaps a more quest-focused structure now (like Gjallarhorn in RoI or the Sleeper Simulant?), or a more structured approach to what weapons drop where (maybe an expansion on the strike-specific gear in 1?), or perhaps another way to work towards an Exotic piece of gear without being dependent on purely RNG at the end of an activity?

The story in Destiny 1 was a mess, and Destiny 2's story probably will be better by default, but why have we only been shown this one mission? Why is our Guardian awkwardly completely mute now? The focus on a single villain feels like it is going to constrain the story a whole lot. Oryx worked because he was set up in the lore and an expansion before he actually came along in his own expansion. This Cabal dude just shows up and does a 'look-I'm-the-villain'-speech. Who is he? Why should I care? Why do we need a big bad 'leader' of the Cabal to be our personal villain? Is Destiny 2 even going to address any of the actual questions left by Destiny 1? Questions about the Traveler? The time-travelling ladybot? What 'The Darkness' really means when the species classified under it clearly have different goals and aren't allies?
Also, how was this huge Cabal invasion somehow not noticed until their ships were literally right at the Tower? The Cabal weren't established to have access to mass-stealth technology that would enable an entire fleet to get from one end of the solar system to the other undetected. Why wasn't the Tower prepared for this anyway when we already knew about the distress signal? Does that distress signal from The Taken King even have anything to do with this? You'd think that this elite unit that as access to a device that can DISABLE THE TRAVELER would have been involved the second they actually found the Traveler on Earth, no? What about Rasputin? Did he not notice this either somehow? With all satellites destroyed, is Rasputin basically powerless now? Will Bungie answer any of these questions? Are they even going to bother telling us why the Cabal don't just blow up the Earth or the Traveler? Bungie's video on how this will be 'a story about what it means to be a Guardian without Light' doesn't inspire much faith in me.
All this focus on this singular villain does for me is bring up a lot of questions and concerns about the story as a whole.

Crucible in Destiny 1 was fun at 6v6, yet they for some reason decided to completely rework it to 4v4. Why? Why was this a change that was important to Bungie? And even then, why not just add 4v4 modes instead of taking 6v6 away?

Destiny 1 had issues with them getting started on post-launch stuff due to the way Destiny 1 was built. The first two expansions were small, and then they overhauled a lot of things with The Taken King. What will the post-launch for Destiny 2 look like? Are they going to be stuck fixing / changing things for a while? What's the expansion plan? Will we have more frequent events?

And what's up with Patrol? I've heard Bungie talk about improvements to Patrol, but the only thing I've seen so far is a quick montage that tells me basically nothing. Why are they not showing us this? Why exclude Patrol from the beta? Can I start a Strike now if I'm in Patrol with my friends at the place where the Strike would start, without a need for pulling up a menu and sitting through a loading screen?

What about Raids? Are they just going to launch with a single one again?

What's with the dual primary weapons? Why was that a thing that needed to change?

What's with Bungie showing us that Crucible map that looks identical to a location from the last Destiny 1 expansion?

Etc. etc. etc.

I like some of the things Bungie says, but I don't see those promises reflected in what I've seen and played so far. I mostly see change in places that didn't need it, and a lack of change in places that did need change.

Maybe they're holding everything back, but I very highly doubt that - especially with the rumors floating around that they basically rebooted this game halfway through development.

I'll be waiting for at least a week after reviews and then probably another half year to see what they are going to do in terms of post-launch before deciding if I want to pick it up.

Bigfroth

Played Destiny 1 for over 1000 hours, Played beta last night didn't really WOW me in any way, so I will definitely wait and see what impressions are after it goes live.

Thebonehead

Banned
Played the beta for an hour so far.

Not blown away.

I'll wait for the definitive edition with all the content from the PS4 to come out on the Xbox One X.
IN 2075

Playing with friends is the fun part about every co-op game, but the difference is, most co-op games are complete at launch. That sadly was not the case with Destiny and isn't the case with Destiny 2.

I'm not gonna play solo. i have friends to play it with. we just don't want to spend 120$+ on this game. We can get it for $30 when the complete edition arrives.

My favorite co-op games haven't been complete at launch. The first two Borderlands games immediately come to mind for me. Everything doesn't have to agree, but I think a lot of the fun in Destiny is discovering secrets and completing activities with the community while they are fresh. Like I never bought Rise Of Iron and I have zero desire to ever play it now.

Stillmatic

Destiny is my most played game ever. So only natural this thing is already pre-ordered. I'm going digital this time though!

kevin1025

Banned
After playing the beta, I'm going to wait for Black Friday deals. Plus by then the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X versions will have their differences known, so I'll know which to pick! But I'm definitely getting it, just not right at launch.

I ran through the mission and strike with a Warlock and tried running through the mission as a Titan but got bored halfway and stopped. I think I'm going to skip it.

SpokkX

Ok played through all beta content

- it is Destiny 1.5. More particle effects but otherwise VERY similar
- 30fps feels bad after Doom imo
- omg @the dialogue. It is even worse than the last game, talk about cringeworthy

Imo this should have been an expansion - no new gameplay in sight here. Really what COULD not have been done in destinty 1? The setpieces in the storymission? The strike - could have been d1

Played and was disappointed by d1 - will not get this since it seems to be too similar

Rad-

Not at full price. I was very disappointed with the first one. I was hoping for bigger changes to core gameplay for Destiny 2.

pantsmith

All over it. Granted I was in regardless, based on how good the progression from Vanilla to The Taken King to Rise of Iron has been, but what they've shown so far has been more then enough proof of concept for me to feel like they know exactly what they're doing.

Personal opinion: what I've seen in the beta has basically affirmed that the changes they've made (minus charge rates, which we're observing in the tiniest of samples out of context) are further refinements to what I already like, and that I can trust in Bungie's vision. PvP feels great, PvE feels (mostly) great too.

There really isn't another world as cool as Destiny's this gen, or a power fantasy that feels as awesome as my Guardian does. I'm basically glued to this series wherever it goes.

If they don't make changes to the final game based on the negative beta feedback I'm going to cancel my pre-order.

Not singling you out here, but the changes you think need to be made are based on the tiniest sliver of gameplay, removed from the context of the game itself... to say absolutely nothing of the fact that we're playing a build that has been ready and shown off a while ago. They are still actively working on balance and whatnot (I literally know a guy at Bungie who is working on it right now), so the final game is going to look and play similarly, but a lot of what we want changed probably already has.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
tenor.gif

The story in Destiny 1 was a mess, and Destiny 2's story probably will be better by default - SNIP

Barring any of the rest of this post, this section on the story is nitpicking. And hopefully being a bit intentionally obtuse.

Why is our Guardian awkwardly completely mute now?

They weren't exactly a bastion of exposition before were they?

The focus on a single villain feels like it is going to constrain the story a whole lot. Oryx worked because he was set up in the lore and an expansion before he actually came along in his own expansion. This Cabal dude just shows up and does a 'look-I'm-the-villain'-speech. Who is he? Why should I care? Why do we need a big bad 'leader' of the Cabal to be our personal villain?

The entirety of the Cabal presence in Destiny 1 is the build up to this. It's pretty implicitly and explicitly shown that most of the Cabal you faced were a sort of forward recon. The idea that focusing on a singular villain - like the vast majority of stories - would somehow make the story worse by constraining it is silly. The story needs to be constrained. Was Lord of the Rings too constrained despite its singular main villain? No, there were side-villians and various characters on both sides to make it interesting.

And then basically the entire spoiler part is comprised of things that I hope we wouldn't learn before the game is even out.

madquills

Neo Member
Absolutely loved D1 and poured hours into it.

Felt totally underwhelmed by the beta for D2. Barely used my super twice. Hate the new kinetic/energy system. Didn't get to use a sniper or shotgun once. Same old boring linear levels with 'platforming' to break them up. Cringe-worthy writing. Multiplayer was a 'spawn and die' grenade fest and everyone was a hunter.

Can't believe they managed to make things feel WORSE. Where is the innovation?

I'm out - unless the reviews somehow come up saying there are tonnes of surprises and stuff.

RIP my Destiny addiction.

Gonna get Uncharted the Lost Legacy in August, Destiny 2 in September, Forza 7 and GT Sport in October and then Xbox One X, Crackdown 3, and Call of Duty WW2 in november. The year was already filled with great games and the end of the year is no different. Honestly one of the best years in gaming for a long time.

Shady859

Keeping my vanilla version preorder but the beta was disappointing for me since I don't really like the PvP part of the game. Hoping they listen to players feedback and have a different weapons systems for PvE.

styl3s

If it's Destiny 1.5 with more story i won't and that's the vibe i got from the beta. When it comes and people beat it and i hear it's got a really long and good story, new interesting mechanics and a ton of variety then i will absolutely buy it but if it lacks variety and has a mediocre story than i have no interest because there are a ton of games that look more interesting coming out this year.

PSYGN

If felt like an expansion to me. Too much familiar from the enemies to the UI aesthetics. No, they don't have to change up everything but they could have rolled up a fresh coat of paint of something different to make it feel like home, yet different in a refreshing way. I'm still getting the game and am excited to play it.

I'm going to buy it, in fact I'm probably going to buy the game + the expansion pass. I'm not thrilled at the idea of spending £80 on a game, but I don't want the same thing to happen with Destiny 2 that happened with Destiny 1. I bought that game day 1 and really enjoyed it until the first expansion came out. For whatever reason I hesitated on buying the expansion and it seemed like in 5 minutes the game completely left me behind. It's shitty that the base game will be old hat a few months after launch and I know I'm supporting this model by purchasing the expansion pass. I really don't like Activision either...

So I'm buying it, but really don't feel great about it!

GhaleonEB

I have some very big worries, but I'm in. Bungie's support of D1 was remarkable and while I don't like everything they did, it was a fun ride. I want to strap in to this one from the beginning.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
As someone who played destiny for a very long time(Alpha to , but not as much as many others, I was dissapointed with initial showings of Destiny 2.

But after playing the beta, I preordered the Digital Delux Edition.

I trust Bungie will do some cool things with it, and it played just as well as always, looks a ton better (PS4 Pro) and promises to be some good fun with friends. Plus, hopefully it will have a nice Story.

Will admit the beta was shorter and less content rich than I expected though.

Top Bottom