• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detective GAF uncovers evidence of imminent Nintendo Direct as soon as next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know. They just have a bad rep after how many often there were long patches without big games on the Wii-U. I think it'd be smart for them to directly address that and give a few early teases to reassure people they learned and this time will be different. If they release most their big franchise games (Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Kart, Pokémon) and they mostly take 3+ years to develop that gives me personal concern they'll blow their wad upfront to build hype and then run out of ammo in 2018 and 2019. Not saying they will, just saying the onus is on them to communicate why it won't be that way.

Nintendo has plenty of IP that they can leverage in 2018-2019 outside of those mentioned above. They have:

- Star Fox
- Metroid
- Kirby
- Fire Emblem
- Pikmin
- Mario (2D platformer)
- Animal Crossing
- Donkey Kong
- Zelda (isometric)
- Luigi's Mansion
- Plenty of others that I haven't thought of

Between those IP, potential new an experimental games (ARMS, Captain Toad) and third party support Nintendo could very easily have a solid lineup for Switch in the coming years. It's also worth noting that releasing games like Zelda BoTW, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Smash, etc... in year one doesn't mean that everyone will buy those titles in year one. In short, I think there's little reason to worry.

Now it makes sense why we didn't get E3 news today. They planned to have previews for Hey Pikmin and the 2DSXL.

That should be it now. They got their previews of the 2DSXL out of the way. Next week is E3 week!

sinonobu

Banned
Gamexplain released Miitopia preview, which means today is new 2ds xl + launch titles preview day.

Next week is for E3 and (hopefully) Pokemon Stars!

Passose

Banned
Now it makes sense why we didn't get E3 news today. They planned to have previews for Hey Pikmin and the 2DSXL.

That should be it now. They got their previews of the 2DSXL out of the way. Next week is E3 week!
and Miitopia also, basically kids games for summer

jonno394

Nintendo has plenty of IP that they can leverage in 2018-2019 outside of those mentioned above. They have:

- Star Fox
- Metroid
- Kirby
- Fire Emblem
- Pikmin
- Mario (2D platformer)
- Animal Crossing
- Donkey Kong
- Zelda (isometric)
- Luigi's Mansion

Between those IP, potential new an experimental games (ARMS, Captain Toad) and third party support Nintendo could very easily have a solid lineup for Switch in the coming years. It's also worth noting that releasing games like Zelda BoTW, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Smash, etc... in year one doesn't mean that everyone will buy those titles in year one. In short, I think there's little reason to worry.

I've bolded what I think we'll see in 2018, adding in Smash and Mario Maker as well.

I've italicised what I think we'll see in 2019.

A nice spread of titles and plenty of room for other smaller stuff too.

Nia

This post feels familiar to me for some reason. Reminds me of a bygone era of desperation.

I've bolded what I think we'll see in 2018, adding in Smash and Mario Maker as well.

God would I love to see your bolded list in 2018, especially Luigi's Mansion! I'm confident we'll see Animal Crossing in 2018 though. They've been talking about that mobile game for far too long for it to be delayed until 2019.

mattmanp

- Star Fox
- Metroid
- Kirby
- Fire Emblem
- Pikmin
- Mario (2D platformer)
- Animal Crossing
- Donkey Kong
- Zelda (isometric)
- Luigi's Mansion

They had all those franchises when they had the Wii-U also. Is there potential? Absolutely. I'm just saying Nintendo has to show the non-diehard fans that are aware of those complaints (I.e. a close friend of mine sold his for a PS4 after one of those long droughts) that the pacing will be better. Just because they own the franchises doesn't mean they're currently using them. Nintendo needs to earn back some trust.

They had all those franchises when they had the Wii-U also. Is there potential? Absolutely. I'm just saying Nintendo has to show the non-diehard fans that are aware of those complaints (I.e. a close friend of mine sold his for a PS4 after one of those long droughts) that the pacing will be better. Just because they own the franchises doesn't mean they're currently using them. Nintendo needs to earn back some trust.

They had two platforms to support before. Now, they have all their teams on one (at least, once their last 3DS titles come out this year).

Fire Emblem is coming to the Switch. And don't compare the Wii U. Nintendo had to support two systems in the Wii U and 3DS. The 3DS got lots more of those franchises because money wise it made more sense. Plus, the Wii U was the first time they did HD and it took them a long time to get used to it Miyamoto said.

Nintendo had to see early that the Wii U just wasn't going to succeed so why would you waste money on development for games that won't sell well? Now they've combined their handheld and console teams. The Switches is a vision of handheld and console combined. There's plenty of reason to be optimistic those franchise will come, especially with the Switch selling well.

They had two platforms to support before. Now, they have all their teams on one (at least, once their last 3DS titles come out this year).

Actually I'm pretty sure none of their first party teams are working on any 3DS games even now. I'm quite confident we're going to be very impressed by the amount of titles coming in 2018 and 2019, especially considering Mario Odyssey was already "considerably finished" in January, and who knows what else has been finished for a while (my money's on MK8D for starters).

mattmanp

Fire Emblem is coming to the Switch. And don't compare the Wii U. Nintendo had to support two systems in the Wii U and 3DS. The 3DS got lots more of those franchises because money wise it made more sense. Plus, the Wii U was the first time they did HD and it took them a long time to get used to it Miyamoto said.

Nintendo had to see early that the Wii U just wasn't going to succeed so why would you waste money on development for games that won't sell well? Now they've combined their handheld and console teams. The Switches is a vision of handheld and console combined. There's plenty of reason to be optimistic those franchise will come, especially with the Switch selling well.

I am just trying to stay cautiously optimistic. Also hasn't Nintendo said 3DS is not going away? If it stays then they'll still have 2 platforms.

I'm also not happy with how VR is panning out since I early adopted there so that's another source of precaution for me, lol.

Passose

Banned
Actually I'm pretty sure none of their first party teams are working on any 3DS games even now. I'm quite confident we're going to be very impressed by the amount of titles coming in 2018 and 2019, especially considering Mario Odyssey was already "considerably finished" in January, and who knows what else has been finished for a while (my money's on MK8D for starters).
by mid 2018, we will know that whether Japanese third parties will jump to the console or just stick with traditional home consoles

AdanVC

A new Direct? Nah son, we just had a Direct less than a month ago so it must be only their E3 announcement video.

jonno394

I am just trying to stay cautiously optimistic. Also hasn't Nintendo said 3DS is not going away? If it stays then they'll still have 2 platforms.

I'm also not happy with how VR is panning out since I early adopted there so that's another source of precaution for me, lol.

3ds is staying but by the looks of it, "Nintendo" support is going to be limited to ports/remake (yoshi, fire emblem, mario luigi superstar saga) or what might be seen a smaller titles/by their smaller studios or even partners so not eating to the resources of their Main guys (pikmin, kirby)

Banned
They're announcing the Bayonetta collection for Switch with special Bayonetta themed joycon.

cYwJEUh.jpg

I definitely agree that they'll soon need to start building confidence for 2018. I was just pointing out that they have plenty of IP to work even after having a big debut this year.

For me personally, they've already regained that trust based on year one alone. I don't blame you and others for not being 100% sold yet, but that's up to Nintendo to ease your worries. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a big blowout for 2018 at E3 though, I'm expecting a few new announcements but I think they'll save the rest for fall.

Sounds about right and sounds pretty exciting, but I would say Animal Crossing is definitely a 2018 title. It was meant to come out relatively closely to the mobile game, and regardless of how much progress has been made on that, I'm pretty sure Nintendo would have started development on the next AC ahead of time. I also think we'll get Pokken in 2018, maybe in place of Smash?

I think Kirby could make sense for 2019, too.

Anyways, I agree with the sentiment that Nintendo will be fine in 2018 and 2019 with the IPs they have, and they'll have new ones like ARMS, too. They also have Pokemon and it's pseudo-annual release schedule, so there should be nothing to worry about for the future of the Switch.

Sounds about right and sounds pretty exciting, but I would say Animal Crossing is definitely a 2018 title. It was meant to come out relatively closely to the mobile game, and regardless of how much progress has been made on that, I'm pretty sure Nintendo would have started development on the next AC ahead of time. I also think we'll get Pokken in 2018, maybe in place of Smash?

I think Kirby could make sense for 2019, too.

Anyways, I agree with the sentiment that Nintendo will be fine in 2018 and 2019 with the IPs they have, and they'll have new ones like ARMS, too. They also have Pokemon and it's pseudo-annual release schedule, so there should be nothing to worry about for the future of the Switch.

Yeah, I have no doubt that we're getting Animal Crossing next year. New Leaf came out in 2012 for god's sake! Happy Home Designer was 2015 but it certainly didn't require the same amount of resources that New Leaf did.

Neiteio

They're announcing the Bayonetta collection for Switch with special Bayonetta themed joycon.

cYwJEUh.jpg
OH LAWD

The THINGS this picture makes me FEEL

(Could we get an edit where the gold moon is replaced by the dark moon, though? Would look better)

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I could see it looking roughly like this:

Smash 4- February
Fire Emblem- March
Pikmin- April
Metroid (3rd party collab)- May
Mario Maker- August
Luigi's Mansion(Retro Studios)- October
Animal Crossing- November

I expect more surprises and unknown things but I could see them doing something rough like this.

Atheerios

We should know about the Direct and/or a new main Pokémon game this week. If nothing happens before Thursday, then don't expect a new mainline Pokémon game this year nor a Direct before E3.

JoeM86

We should know about the Direct and/or a new main Pokémon game this week. If nothing happens before Thursday, then don't expect a new mainline Pokémon game this year nor a Direct before E3.

11 years ago this week we got the first info of DP
9 years ago this week, Platinum got revealed
8 years ago tomorrow, HGSS got revealed
7 years ago this week, we got the first real info on BW
4 years ago this week, we got the first real info on XY
3 years ago today, ORAS was revealed
1 year ago this week, we got the first real info on Sun/Moon

Only game that subverts this pattern is Black 2/White 2, which had info in May but not first info since it was out in June.

jonno394

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I could see it looking roughly like this:

Smash 4- February
Fire Emblem- March
Pikmin- April
Metroid (3rd party collab)- May
Mario Maker- August
Luigi's Mansion(Retro Studios)- October
Animal Crossing- November

I expect more surprises and unknown things but I could see them doing something rough like this.

Luigi by retro eh? That could be interesting.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo Co., Ltd. should be back to full capacity next week (starting May 08) following the Golden Week featuring Constitution Memorial Day, Greenery Day and Childrens Day. At the very least I think it's not too far-fetched to expect some news on Nintendo's plans for E3 2017 in the coming week, hopefully a new Nintendo Direct broadcast will premiere as well.

Rösti;235990222 said:
Nintendo Co., Ltd. should be back to full capacity next week (starting May 08) following the Golden Week featuring Constitution Memorial Day, Greenery Day and Childrens Day. At the very least I think it's not too far-fetched to expect some news on Nintendo's plans for E3 2017 in the coming week, hopefully a new Nintendo Direct broadcast will premiere as well.

Man this could be a busy week Rost. I better clear up my schedule 👨*💼

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Monday:
c8ZwEoV.gif

Wednesday:
giphy.gif

Friday:
tumblr_m69kyjeQTU1qia4qx.gif

It's honestly crazy that people thought was going to be a direct last week. Last week was Golden Week a Japanese holiday. The chance of them doing a big direct blowout was slim-none.

I still expect a direct this month though as ARMS hasn't had it's own direct to itself andit comes out in June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom