• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detective GAF uncovers evidence of imminent Nintendo Direct as soon as next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeM86

Junichi Masuda is heavily against making kids pay extra for elements of the game beyond the price. This is a major thing and with Pokémon, they can levy an exception.

I'd be very surprised if it's not exempt.

Passose

Banned
Mario Kart is family friendly, do you think that will be free too?
No, but I think for pokemon, it should be online free, I don't think most people will easily accept a pokemon game that make them pay for online trading, battling and stuffs

Cerium

Junichi Masuda is heavily against making kids pay extra for elements of the game beyond the price. This is a major thing and with Pokémon, they can levy an exception.

You're not paying for extra Pokemon elements, you're paying Nintendo for their entire online service.

I really do hope Pokemon doesn't require pay online.
Seeing how I never pay for any online services on consoles.

Wishful thinking on my part tho

Cerium

I mean I get why people don't want to pay for it, I don't want to pay for it either.

But y'all are setting yourselves up for disappointment. To me the answer is pretty obvious.

How do you think it'll go for Nintendo if they approach third parties and tell them "Yeah our customers won't be able to play your game online without paying us money, but Pokemon is exempt, sucks to be you." Absurdity. It won't happen.

I'm sorry, but Pokémon is not an exception. You're paying for Nintendos online service for online gameplay for games on the Switch. You're not paying for Game Freaks online service. Nintendo is not about to take one of their biggest franchises and not leverage it to push online subscriptions. That would be such a huge business mistake.

Smash fans will pay for online. ARMS and Splatoon fans will pay for online. Maybe there will be exceptions for small games, but I would be completely surprised if they gave Pokémon an exemption from their online service. If Pokémon fans get an exception then I as a Smash fan better get exempt too.

They literally already charge for Pokémon storage.

Cerium

After years of being spoiled by free Nintendo online, I think this is simply people coming to terms with what it means to have a paid online service.

The first stage of grief.

Do you even need Pokemon Bank?

I always felt the games had ample storage on its own. Unless bank does more then just store Pokemon? I don't know, I never used it

JoeM86

Do you even need Pokemon Bank?

I always felt the games had ample storage on its own. Unless bank does more then just store Pokemon? I don't know, I never used it

No you don't. The games have 32 boxes of storage themselves. They didn't lock the in-game storage behind a paywall.

Cerium

But that's not within the game itself. The game still has its usual level of storage. It's not blocking stuff out unless you pay extra.

The game is irrelevant. The online service is the online service. It's really as simple as that.

But that's not within the game itself. The game still has its usual level of storage. It's not blocking stuff out unless you pay extra.
It's not just storage, though- it's transferring between generations, and it's the National Dex. The idea that they wouldn't charge for features out of the goodness of their hearts is simply not credible.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

They already make you pay to transfer your Pokemon across generations, so they are not opposed to it at all.

Cerium

It's not just storage, though- it's transferring between generations, and it's the National Dex. The idea that they wouldn't charge for features out of the goodness of their hearts is simply not credible.

More than that, it sets a precedent where you'll see Activision come to the table and say "If you want Call of Duty or Overwatch on Switch, we demand the same exception Pokemon is getting."

JoeM86

More than that, it sets a precedent where you'll see Activision come to the table and say "If you want Call of Duty or Overwatch on Switch, we demand the same exception Pokemon is getting."

Games have had exemptions for free online on XBL and PSN and that hasn't happened.

Neither of which are integral to the game

So you're all going insane over a empty space for a direct on Nintendo's website? I doubt pokemon stars is real and even if is there's no reason to have a direct about it.

I hope Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal get the VC treatment. Even though we already have the remakes so it wouldn't make sense. I still want it.

JoeM86

So you're all going insane over a empty space for a direct on Nintendo's website? I doubt pokemon stars is real and even if is there's no reason to have a direct about it.

Biggest video game franchise of all time lacks a reason to have a direct for it?

Ok

Like what? I bet you they don't compare to the size of Pokemon.

Well of course they don't, but that doesn't mean that the entire philosophy that Game Freak has will be negated. Come on now.

I'll be disappointed if they don't allow for basic online functions for free.

Cerium

Biggest video game franchise of all time lacks a reason to have a direct for it?

Ok
I'm genuinely curious about these Xbone and PS4 titles with free online multiplayer. Because I might buy them if they work as you say they do.

Frankly, I don't know how true this is given they put transferring pokemon behind a subscription paywall.

edit: Yep, people already on that subject, and I'm lttp as usual.

Typically exceptions have been F2P games with online components, I think.

Few games compare to the size of Pokémon.
Iirc MGSV, Watch Dogs and Dark Souls 3 have aspects where one player can enter another's game without psplus, and a general exemption for 'free to play' games

Haano

Frankly, I'd only pay for Nintendo Online if it works like PS Plus where they'd give out free VC games or something per month. There standards would have to be on par with the competitors otherwise no deal.

Plus, if paying for an online subscription does become a thing, it would also entice me away from the games that have a major online but minor offline aspect, like Splatoon. For example, why should I pay for a game and not have at least a week or two, or X hours of online time with it. I'm paying for the game, so I've paid for the developers to create the online service. Yes we haven't paid for it's maintenance, but there should be at least some leeway.

I'm genuinely curious about these Xbone and PS4 titles with free online multiplayer. Because I might buy them if they work as you say they do.
Well, Elder Scrolls Online has free multiplayer and no subscription required I believe. Same with Smite and Blacklight. DC Universe Online and Warframe too.

Passose

Banned
Frankly, I'd only pay for Nintendo Online if it works like PS Plus where they'd give out free VC games or something per month. There standards would have to be on par with the competitors otherwise no deal.

Plus, if paying for an online subscription does become a thing, it would also entice me away from the games that have a major online but minor offline aspect, like Splatoon. For example, why should I pay for a game and not have at least a week or two, or X hours of online time with it. I'm paying for the game, so I've paid for the developers to create the online service. Yes we haven't paid for it's maintenance, but there should be at least some leeway.
if it won't have free VC games but only charge you 20 bucks, will you still pay for it?

I'm personally doubting a direct. Its just run to speculate

But if Fire Emblem can get its own direct, then Pokemon can definitely get one.
Although that FE direct was for its mobile game so who knows.

Cerium

Well, Elder Scrolls Online has free multiplayer and no subscription required I believe. Same with Smite and Blacklight. DC Universe Online and Warframe too.

Googled the first title you named and you're wrong.

Do I need a PlayStation Plus membership to play The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited?

Yes. As with any standard multiplayer game on the PlayStation 4, both an internet connection and a PlayStation Plus membership are required to play The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited. However, ESO Plus membership is not required to play the game.
Pretty sure none of these exceptions are actually exceptions and Pokemon won't be either.

Forkball

Yeah, no one should get their hopes up about free Pokemon online. The paywall is going to happen. I'm expecting Stars to be Switch/3DS, so those who don't want to pay to play online can just use the 3DS version. By the time a new Pokemon gen hits the Switch, those who waited will be more willing to pay after they've seen what Nintendo has done with the service.

Honestly, paying to trade Pokemon online seems so... icky. ICKY. But times have changed. I remember back in the olden days, the thought of Nintendo charging for DLC Smash characters was blasphemous, but now people are chomping at the bit for them. The same will happen with Pokemon. I just hope Nintendo actually does something worthwhile with their online service.

Have any other Eurogamer rumours been proven correct yet to give some substance to the Stars one?
On Nintendo only? Because they were pretty accurate regarding the PS4 Pro, Switch, and various other games that werent revealed at the time of their articles.

Best game website by far.

Cerium

Slight correction: I'm reading that there is an exception for F2P games on PS4.

Obviously that wouldn't apply to Pokemon's situation. I mean I'm willing to avatar bet whatever on this. And I love my avatar.

KtSlime

If the online service is needed for trading that is fine. Either pay*, or go outside and trade with real people.

*I'm against paying for it fundamentally, however once one starts asking for money, they all will, it was bound to happen.

mclem

I believe Pokémon would be exempt due to Game Freak's views/policies regarding making kids pay extra.

I can see Nintendo letting standard online play for Pokémon (Battles, Battle Spot, Trades etc.) be free for people, but the more intricate stuff (GTS, Wonder Trade, New stuff etc.) perhaps be paywalled.

Trying to think if it'd be smart to just include a Bank subscription in with the online service subscription. Adds value, makes it appealing to Pokemon people, while still offering the main social services for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom