• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEVASTATION 2011 | Gaming tournament & convention | October 6-9

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Satyamdas said:
No, you are reading emotion into something that isn't there. I was actually laughing as I typed that post. I'm honestly amazed that so many people still buy into the whole "Viper can only be played by .0001% of the population" nonsense. Do you think Oni is banned, too?
Bananas and ketchup. Not bad.

kitzkozan said:
Wong has the hunger back for SFIV, should make for an interesting Season's beating VI AE tournament. :)

I wish him luck in beating Mago, Momochi, Tokido, Uryo, Poongko, etc.

He should just focus on winning the last MVC3 major.

Spiderjericho said:
Man, remember during Vanilla days when Viper was winning tournaments?

Or during the Super days when Viper was mauling tournaments?

Or now during the AE days with Viper obliterating the tournament?

Hmm...Rufus though, never ever consistent. Marn, Wong, Ortiz, Floe didn't go to him for the wins. They wanted a low-tier character.

It doesn't matter how much the character has won, it's about how bullshit the character is. And it probably doesn't get anymore bullshit then Viper.

-Safe burn kicks the leave her positive on block
-Ultra with tons of ways to land(if you notice, Viper lands her ultra more then any other character in this game at high level play)
-So many escape options on wake up(notice how people who play this character never blocks?

There is more but that's just some of the things I wanted to point out. When I see Rufus, I'm like "Lets go". When I see Viper I'm already angry because if the person I'm playing is half way decent, I know all the BS I'm going to have to put up with. Is she the most BS character, that's hard to say. It's close between her, Seth, and Yun right now but she's definitely a contender.

I have to say it's interesting to see all the viper salt right now. This time last year, people praised anyone who went far with the character.

Daigo put Viper in his top 5 in Super and people thought he was crazy for thinking that way.

Rice-Eater said:
It doesn't matter how much the character has won, it's about how bullshit the character is. And it probably doesn't get anymore bullshit then Viper.

But with that same argument, she would be winning more tournaments and more players would've been crying about her during the Super and Vanilla days. But instead they were complaining about Ryu, Sagat, Rufus, etc.

Is she a good character, sure. But like Find said, it's a matter of matchups. America lacks a Viper army. Probably because of the cost of entry.

Remember when F.Champ put America on blast last year in that interview after SoCal Regionals? He basically said there wasn't any good Akumas.

It's the same for Viper.

And right now, Yun, Yang, Fei Long are the more b.s. characters.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
white dude picks characters in white
black dude picks characters in black

race war all up ins

A Pretty Panda said:
So what japanese players are going to Season's Beatings next week?

Momochi, Uryo, Tokido, and Mago. There will also be another US vs the World 5v5. Wolfkrone is the Captain of Team World, no idea who will be on that team. But Team World on the other hand, I have a pretty good idea. I think it'll be safe to say Team World will consist of those 4 Japanese players and Poongko. That's pretty fucking stacked, I don't think USA has a chance, especially if the format is like last year.

Rice-Eater said:

-Safe burn kicks the leave her positive on block
-Ultra with tons of ways to land(if you notice, Viper lands her ultra more then any other character in this game at high level play)
-So many escape options on wake up(notice how people who play this character never blocks?

There is more but that's just some of the things I wanted to point out. When I see Rufus, I'm like "Lets go". When I see Viper I'm already angry because if the person I'm playing is half way decent, I know all the BS I'm going to have to put up with. Is she the most BS character, that's hard to say. It's close between her, Seth, and Yun right now but she's definitely a contender.

I wish I still had super Cammy :( The one time I played marn's viper i mauled him so bad. Cammy was one of the few characters that could just fuck Viper any way she wanted.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
People seem to respect Japanese Vipers more so I'd say it also has to do with the person using her. You have Mr.Personality Wolfy and The goofiest looking and at times arrogant Middle Eastern American.

The FGC also has it's groupies just like any other.

Beth Cyra

Spiderjericho said:
But with that same argument, she would be winning more tournaments and more players would've been crying about her during the Super and Vanilla days. But instead they were complaining about Ryu, Sagat, Rufus, etc.

Is she a good character, sure. But like Find said, it's a matter of matchups. America lacks a Viper army. Probably because of the cost of entry.

Remember when F.Champ put America on blast last year in that interview after SoCal Regionals? He basically said there wasn't any good Akumas.

It's the same for Viper.

And right now, Yun, Yang, Fei Long are the more b.s. characters.
Yes but right now Yun and Yang are winning just as many tournaments as Viper, very few yet we have no problem calling them out even if they aren't winning.

Lets not forget that no Yang's were in Evo top 8, and probably the best Yun in the world got beaten by both a Viper and Seth.

Same with Godsgarden with Fudo taking it again with Fei. Hasn't stopped us from calling Yun on some BS.

TruePrime said:
Lets not forget that no Yang's were in Evo top 8, and probably the best Yun in the world got beaten by both a Viper and Seth.

Same with Godsgarden with Fudo taking it again with Fei. Hasn't stopped us from calling Yun on some BS.

Kazunko didn't come to Evo. ;)

And he lost to two great players, who happen to be on a hot streak as of late (Latif SBO qual, Peaceful Jay Stream...Poongko Shadowloo Showdown).

So are we going to say Seth is broken because Poongko won SS, got 3rd at Evo, etc?

And Yang is a perfect example. No one plays him really. Rom, Floe, Wong, Yipes are probably the only notable Yang players.

Wallach

Kadey said:
People seem to respect Japanese Vipers more so I'd say it also has to do with the person using her. You have Mr.Personality Wolfy and The goofiest looking and at times arrogant Middle Eastern American.

The FGC also has it's groupies just like any other.

I don't think so. Japan fuckin' hates Viper just the same.

Satyamdas

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
I have to say it's interesting to see all the viper salt right now. This time last year, people praised anyone who went far with the character.

Daigo put Viper in his top 5 in Super and people thought he was crazy for thinking that way.
Mago: "Fuck Viper!"
Tokido: "Viper scrub!"
Mike Ross: "Viper is the cheapest character in the game!"

Viper salt isn't anything new. It's just that with Latif and Wolfkrone dominating lately you have no choice but to hear about Viper. So you will of course also hear people who hate the character pipe up too.

I have the feeling those who questioned Daigo putting her in Top 5 in Super hadn't played any worthwhile Vipers. People who have been dealing with good Vipers for a while now have hated on her for just as long.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Wallach said:
I don't think so. Japan fuckin' hates Viper just the same.

I'm not talking about Japan. Japan hates the whole game as a whole.

Uryo and Cabbage are much more respected as Viper players than any other.

Arde5643

FindMyFarms said:
Well, you just went from GF to beggining of top 8, peeps are just on a comedown.
The start of top 8 in AE was better though - Viscant v Noel was just ehhh.... Bs wolverine/akuma against even bigger bs Phoenix.

Chrisis v Fanatiq was pretty good.

Top Bottom