• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: PUBG performs badly on Xbox One - and X

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
These posts scare me.

Do you think your X is special? The game falls to single digit FPS on your X just like everyone else’s.

See, I love games just as much as everyone else, but I hate fanboyism. You can love a game and still recognize it’s flaws. PUBG is a wonderful game but has clear objective performance failures on console

Then why is it I haven’t seen it happen while in gameplay? In the lobby or while the game initially loads up in plane maybe it’ll happen, but from the moment I jump until the end of the game it stays smooth and nowhere near single digits, so no , I’m not making this up and this isn’t fanboyism either. Game is perfectly fine on the X.

Now on the OG One and the S it might be another story...

Senua

Then why is it I haven’t seen it happen while in gameplay? In the lobby or while the game initially loads up in plane maybe it’ll happen, but from the moment I jump until the end of the game it stays smooth and nowhere near single digits, so no , I’m not making this up and this isn’t fanboyism either. Game is perfectly fine on the X.

Now on the OG One and the S it might be another story...
You probably have high tolerance to frame rate drops.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
You probably have high tolerance to frame rate drops.

Game isn’t perfectly smooth, but it’s easily between 24-30fps, which definitely makes gunfights harder, but doesn’t make the game unplayable! I honestly feel like they’ll be able to get a locked 30fps soon enough.

The devs should be looking into dynamic resolution maybe to make sure it stays at 30fps at all times. Game doesn’t need to be native 4k all the time imo.

YoshiMax

These posts scare me.

Do you think your X is special? The game falls to single digit FPS on your X just like everyone else’s.

See, I love games just as much as everyone else, but I hate fanboyism. You can love a game and still recognize it’s flaws. PUBG is a wonderful game but has clear objective performance failures on console

Doesn’t fall to single digits on X. Seeing this everywhere people who aren’t actually playing the game desperate to express concern for the million plus Xbox owners enjoying it.

BigLee74

Seen it all now. The Last Word comes in with his normal pish, gets countered by somebody that actually plays the game, who then gets accused of rampant fanboyism.

Why was TLWs ban not permanent? The guy just lives to shit up Xbox threads.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
That video is hard to watch, I can only imagine how hard it is to play.

Yes the game needs work, should not be to long.
Like DF said wait until next year, unless you want to brave its current incarnation.

Lort

Banned
PUBG is super fun! So glad its released now so i can play with my buddies over xmas. It will be better in future but it won't be a really big difference .. the game is just as cludgy on pc even with more fps, but pc people pretend its not for some odd reason. Its a mod and it feels like it, its not and never will be a AAA title .. its struggling to be AA but its still fun.

Id love if EA released a Battlefield Frostbite version .. that would kill.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
PUBG is super fun! So glad its released now so i can play with my buddies over xmas. It will be better in future but it won't be a really big difference .. the game is just as cludgy on pc even with more fps, but pc people pretend its not for some odd reason. Its a mod and it feels like it, its not and never will be a AAA title .. its struggling to be AA but its still fun.

Id love if EA released a Battlefield Frostbite version .. that would kill.

I think its only a matter of time before activision, EA , take 2 etc copy PUBG but actually make it run and play flawlessly.

I think a telented DEV could copy and make a better PUBG in a year.

Or like fortnite take an existing game and add a battle royale mode.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think its only a matter of time before activision, EA , take 2 etc copy PUBG but actually make it run and play flawlessly.

I think a telented DEV could copy and make a better PUBG in a year.

Or like fortnite take an existing game and add a battle royale mode.

I totally agree with this its only a matter of time before this game is done right and Playerunknown only has so much time left.

And before anyone says it dont give me people are ripping off his idea.

Sure they are and I am glad companies take existing ideas and make them better.

Where would we be if no one could have ever copied the first TDM mode or Capture the Flag etc.

Seems like DICE could take the Battlefield version of Frostbite and scale the graphics back a bit and be good to go. I'm liking PUBG so far but I do thing a AAA competitor will come along and trounce it (at least on console) if they don't get it up to speed.

Calibos

Seems like DICE could take the Battlefield version of Frostbite and scale the graphics back a bit and be good to go. I'm liking PUBG so far but I do thing a AAA competitor will come along and trounce it (at least on console) if they don't get it up to speed.

Been thinking this for a while. They already have 64 player matches with Balistics, Destruction and massive maps running at 60fps(near) on console...It's a no brainer to me. I'm just a peasant though...

Onikaan

It's the constant crashing that makes me weep. I can deal with jankie controls and poor frames per second, but crashing every game is awful. I feel like I'm walking a tight rope and at any second I can fall. It might happen at the start, or at the end, but it's coming.

The games intense enough without the surprise crash.

Lort

Banned
It's the constant crashing that makes me weep. I can deal with jankie controls and poor frames per second, but crashing every game is awful. I feel like I'm walking a tight rope and at any second I can fall. It might happen at the start, or at the end, but it's coming.

The games intense enough without the surprise crash.

Ive never had a crash? U running on stock xbox and an external drive?

Onikaan

Ive never had a crash? U running on stock xbox and an external drive?

OG Xbox, but no external. Was going to get an external SSD to help with load times.

All my buddies crash too but not as often as me. I think my Xbox is on the way out... It's a noisey old thing.

thelastword

Banned
Doesn't fall to single digits on X. Seeing this everywhere people who aren't actually playing the game desperate to express concern for the million plus Xbox owners enjoying it.
It does......

tWxkOrC.jpg

This thread is not about preventing you from enjoying your game. This thread just deals with objective facts and analysis. I think the PUBG OP is a better place for the million plus having a tonne of fun...

Calibos said:
Yup, still rough.

Yup, still having a hell of a fun time.
Case in point, I don't think this is the purpose of this thread. It's to break down the technical aspects and performance of the game. The fact that PUBG is an awful performer just happens to be factual and unprecedented for this title...

Game isn't perfectly smooth, but it's easily between 24-30fps, which definitely makes gunfights harder, but doesn't make the game unplayable! I honestly feel like they'll be able to get a locked 30fps soon enough.

The devs should be looking into dynamic resolution maybe to make sure it stays at 30fps at all times. Game doesn't need to be native 4k all the time imo.
I could see where this is coming from, because even DF, which is supposed to do a technical analysis is delving into "this is fun despite it's many issues" etc....This is from Tom Morgam BTW, who had a big issue with TLOU remastered falling to 55fps in the bloater fight, but he is having a tonne of fun with a game that drops everytime another player is on screen. Massive input lag and aiming issues, many instances where performance is worse on X than on vanilla XBOX ONE, (he's playing on the X btw) framerate falling to the teens by the bridge on th X...etc....

So how does this game perform when we have not one, but a measly 8 players on screen out of the 100, you think it holds up? Richard and Morgan are talking how this game holds 30fps, but it only does that when they're going through barren forests with no other players in site. If they even drive through too fast it dips......Now we're hearing talk of reduced blur/effects, which was probably done to improve framerate and yet, the patch also came with more rubber banding, worse netcode, all affecting response time on console on top of the poor framerate....I mean, it's ok to like the game and play, but to present this experience as having fun, from a tech site, is all kinds of wrong.....

That input is worse than I even imagined. 130-150ms according to DF. That’s Killzone 2 territory right there.

Wew. That’s rough, really damn rough. Hopefully they can sort that out soon because nobody deserves that kinda suffering in a competitive game.

Grinchy

Banned
That input is worse than I even imagined. 130-150ms according to DF. That’s Killzone 2 territory right there.

Wew. That’s rough, really damn rough. Hopefully they can sort that out soon because nobody deserves that kinda suffering in a competitive game.

Yep, that was exactly my guess on what it was, too. And they said it can get even worse than that as the framerate dips lower.

"I don't have any input lag" - lol

B-Ri

I feel like this game looks and plays like Socom on the PS2.

Played a couple matches, interesting concept. Maybe it’ll grow on me but I’m not the type to play with randoms, mostly friends

petrus91

There's a bug that some people have been experiencing, including myself, that seems to not get the update automatically to the 0.5.25.9 version.
In fact, if you look closely, DF comparison seems actually to be misleading as the two versions they are playing are not the same.
In the latest update, guns icons are moved right aside the map on bottom right corner of the screen (DF X1 icons are not up to date) and equipment shows right above the health bar (which again, don't show in DF X1 comparison). The are running these test to two different versions of the game actually.

Talking about myself, I've been experiencing some more troubles with 0.5.25.9: rubber banding, crashes, unrensponsiveness on controls, etc.

Senua

Yep, that was exactly my guess on what it was, too. And they said it can get even worse than that as the framerate dips lower.

"I don't have any input lag" - lol

Some people have magic consoles, just like some people have a magic version of HZD that's GOTY worthy.

Calibos

It does......

tWxkOrC.jpg

This thread is not about preventing you from enjoying your game. This thread just deals with objective facts and analysis. I think the PUBG OP is a better place for the million plus having a tonne of fun...

Case in point, I don't think this is the purpose of this thread. It's to break down the technical aspects and performance of the game. The fact that PUBG is an awful performer just happens to be factual and unrpecedented for this ttile...

I could see where this is coming from, because even DF, which is supposed to do a technical analysis is delving into "this is fun despite it's many issues" etc....This is from Tom Morgam BTW, who had a big issue with TLOU remastered falling to 55fps in the bloater fight, but he is having a tonne of fun with a game that drops everytime another player is on screen. Massive input lag and aiming issues, many instances where performance is worse on X than on vanilla XBOX ONE, (he's playing on the X btw) framerate falling to the teens by the bridge on th X...etc....

So how does this game perform when we have not one, but a measly 8 players on screen out of the 100, you think it holds up? Richard and Morgan are talking how this game holds 30fps, but it only does that when they're going through barren forests with no other players in site. If they even drive through too fast it dips......Now we're hearing talk of reduced blur/effects, which was probably done to improve frameratre and yet, the patch also came with more rubber banding, worse netcode, all affecting response time on console on top of the poor framerate....I mean, it's ok to like the game and play, but to present this experience as having fun, from a tech site, is all kinds of wrong.....

Unprecedented? Come on...Have you been playing this game since it's PC early access? Or any of the other early access games on Xbox? You really are hardcore against anything Xbox even when you try to hide.

Also, the technical issues have been analyzed and discussed for a week here. Are we going to do this every week when an incremental patch hits? This game is early early access on Xbox...we can all agree that it's in rough shape...but it is playable and fun.

Not Drake

This is from Tom Morgam BTW, who had a big issue with TLOU remastered falling to 55fps in the bloater fight, but he is having a tonne of fun with a game that drops everytime another player is on screen. Massive input lag and aiming issues, many instances where performance is worse on X than on vanilla XBOX ONE, (he's playing on the X btw) framerate falling to the teens by the bridge on th X...etc....

Bruh. This is an early access release and looking at the dev's output they're working really hard to fix existing issues and push as many updates as possible in a short time. Game drops a lot of frames in certain scenarios, but let's not act the initial uniteractive stage of every match matters at all. I say give them time

Seen it all now. The Last Word comes in with his normal pish, gets countered by somebody that actually plays the game, who then gets accused of rampant fanboyism.

Why was TLWs ban not permanent? The guy just lives to shit up Xbox threads.

Rinse and Repeat..GAF in the nutshell former or current, same ol' @$!#%.

BibiMaghoo

Some people have magic consoles, just like some people have a magic version of HZD that's GOTY worthy.

While I make no comment on different peoples experiences, it is worth noting that actually it is quite easy for the same consoles to have different levels of performance. Both PS4 and XBO have a system to defrag HDD's on the fly with disc installations, but this does not work 100% and with user added files compounds the problem. My XBO and your XBO can easily perform differently when running from a drive. People playing on an XBX shouldn't have this problem as they are presumably new enough to not have files all over the place but it is possible.

Blam

Like I give a fuck, enjoy picking at the remains of this corpse.

Why do you people always come here to stir shit?

On topic:

The game is bound to run like shit in the opening sequence. It's loading assets in for the entire area as it flies over, and not to count the 100 people inside the plane, and the map being as huge as it is obviously takes a toll as well.

Fortnite doesn't need to worry about this since it's probably got a much lower poly count for nearly everything in the game. PUBG is frankly working much harder to load higher quality assets, and a shitload of weapons, and all that crap right off the bat.

Fortnite goes around this by just putting it in chests, but then what's the point.

I haven't played a lot (maybe 25 total rounds) but I can say that I haven't had a crash yet. Hoping that trend continues.

Talking again about potential competitors, PUBG's gameplay (shooting and movement, not inventory) remind me of Ghost Recon 1 & 2, along with GRAW & GRAW 2 mp. I wonder if Ubi is having any thoughts about fielding a competitor. Wildlands is a beautiful game that I wouldn't think could scale but for the next installment could they split development like GRAW where the single player/coop is one team and multi is another, with a different/modified engine? I remember being pissed for a just a little bit about the difference between the graphics in the single vs multi in GRAW but quickly got over it because it was so good.

Blam

I haven't played a lot (maybe 25 total rounds) but I can say that I haven't had a crash yet. Hoping that trend continues.

Talking again about potential competitors, PUBG's gameplay (shooting and movement, not inventory) remind me of Ghost Recon 1 & 2, along with GRAW & GRAW 2 mp. I wonder if Ubi is having any thoughts about fielding a competitor. Wildlands is a beautiful game that I wouldn't think could scale but for the next installment could they split development like GRAW where the single player/coop is one team and multi is another, with a different/modified engine? I remember being pissed for a just a little bit about the difference between the graphics in the single vs multi in GRAW but quickly got over it because it was so good.

Ubisoft can do it right they did it with the Division. The survival dlc was perfect for the division. They can easily take their IP and do something fun with it especially wildlands.

Yeah, I"m totally off topic here, but if Ubi made a battle royal mode in Ghost Recon that tech (big map, big player count) would open up sooooo many potential game mode variants. I gotta stop thinking about it because it's gonna make me want a game that will probably never exist.

Top Bottom