• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 seemingly accidentally confirmed for Bethesda conference on Twitch

Lakitu

st5fu
My favourite looking mission is the Boyle Estate. Loved it, especially from an aesthetics point of view.

Hope they do some really cool stuff with Dishonored 2.

Mr. Tibbs

I wonder if Viktor Antonov is still involved or he's only doing Battlecry now.

That would be super sad. It seems Dishonored's art director, Sebastian Mitton, is still in Lyon, so that's something.

I think the level designer behind Lady Boyle's Last Party, Anthony Huso (Purah), is working on the Crytek project in Austin.

Bold One

I just finished the game yesterday, was really contemplating doing an LTTP for it,

there is so much I want to discuss...

Truly the gods smiled upon me

Wiktor

I mean the issue is that in the game you had all these powers, and the VAST majority were all "bad" to use, instead of offering the player "good" ways to use their powers it was mostly "look but don't touch" instead with no alternatives.

yeah...it sucks so much when the game actually gives you freedom of choosing a play style. Terrible really. ;)

Seriously, most of the complains stem from the fact that people didn't want to choose how to play. Their either somehow got into their heads that it's supposed to be stealth game, so they stuck with that. Or they solely wanted a the most cookie cuter ending.
This game is built on freedom of choice when it comes to gameplay. And the fact that it's gameplay choices that affect storyline only make it much better, as those actually change how the game looks and how the story progresses. Which is so much better and more natural than fake narrative dialogue choices, not to mention it helps to make each playthrough feel quite different.

Think what are you asking for...you wanted to slaughter through the whole game, leaving hundreds of bodies around and then have all that carnage have zero effect on how the gameworld and story changed? You wanted, after all those massacres be able to just pick a dialogue option and have the game pretend you did nothing wrong?

Jb

No but they speak PERFECT french. Not Quebec french.

Only Arkane (Dishonored) is a french studio working for bethesda ATM

Exactly. They're not going on stage just to say "Hey guys, we're happy to be here. Doesn't Fallout 4 look rad? Alright, have a good E3!"

Loved the first Dishonored and I am looking forward to the sequel. It was the closest we got to a proper Thief sequel. But no surprise here.

Dishonoured 2: Now With a U

Nintendo's 'big third-party partnership' confirmed!

yeah...it sucks so much when the game actually gives you freedom of choosing a play style. Terrible really. ;)

Preach it! That freedom is what I loved most about Dishonored. That game was such a breath of fresh air compared to all the aggressively linear, hand-holding, QTE-ridden, press-Y-to-look-at-thing games that were coming out around that time. Dishonored just dumps you in a level and leaves it up to you to work things out. I turned off the entire HUD as soon as I started it up, so I was making my way through levels solely by exploring, listening to guard chatter, reading every book and note I found; it was such a great experience. I absolutely loved uncovering all the alternate non-lethal takedown methods for all the primary targets.

Gawd, I'm hyped through the roof for Dishonored 2.

Were people just sitting on Bethesda's Twitch channel or something? How do you catch that?

I heard it, I was watching dansgaming and then got a notification that bethesda went online (I use BetterTwitchTV chrome/ff extension that also gives you desktop notifications if a channel goes online).

Or you can use the iOS push notifications/email notifications. That's how people caught it.

An accidental open mic broadcasting live to Bethesda’s Twitch stream picked up a discussion about Dishonored 2 being presented during the company’s E3 press conference. Ooops.

Hilarious if it's not a some elaborate troll.

eso76

Only played the first few minutes of the first, which I got with games with gold.
Booted expecting a forgettable, generic fps with stealth elements but you realize right away the game has its special appeal and a lot of character. It reminded me of bioshock.
For some reason, though, I never played past those few minutes and it's sitting there.
Might have to join the party

Seanspeed

Banned
Dishonored was a proper surprise and truly one of the greatest games of last generation. I also really loved the art style and thought it was a gorgeous experience. I cant wait to play a next-gen sequel.

I also think that this one has the potential to do a lot better than the first game, in terms of sales. I mean, I hear it didn't do too awesome, despite high critical reception, and I think it simply took people a while to really catch on to what a brilliant creation it was. Now that most people know, it seems like this should hopefully sell well out of the gates.

ttech10

When the game design impacts you not being able to play the game using the actual tools they provide and lessens the "fun" out of it, that to me is poor design.

There are many ways they could have designed the game and powers to allow people to play both ways while still maintaing those choices and story elements.

Look at Infamous for a prime example. You have good/bad powers, but both allow you to play agressively if you wish.

They could have easily had more powers or tied story elements to actual choices you make in the narrative rather then giving you a lot of powers and then saying "Here's a bunch of neat tools to use.....but if you use them you'll get a terrible ending!

It'd be like if Half Life 2 punished you for using the gravity gun or such. Give you awesome 'fun" gameplay tools and then punish you while not actually offering "alternatives" to things to play how you want while still maintaining that choice that Infamous or others allow.

I mean the issue is that in the game you had all these powers, and the VAST majority were all "bad" to use, instead of offering the player "good" ways to use their powers it was mostly "look but don't touch" instead with no alternatives.

Your argument really falls apart in the last bit. There are three powers that are strictly meant for killing. Meanwhile seven can be used in a non-lethal playthrough. At the same time, there are three that are strictly non-lethal, and thus seven that can be used for killing. The game is giving you an equal amount of powers for good/evil, you're just choosing to use them more for evil than for good.

And to add, killing in Dishonored just doesn't make sense. You were framed for murder so in order to prove your innocence you're going to murder hundreds of people in brutal ways? Okay, crazy guy who thinks being vengeful is the correct path, don't be surprised when your little lady pal picks up on that or when the city is going to hell because you're killing everyone and making it an even more awful place to be. The game really is great at adapting to your previous choices, and the changes it applies make total sense.

Dyna

Excited, but also kind of bummed that this leaked. Not like it was the best kept secret, but still, would've been nice to see it revealed live.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
ljrXIYn.jpg

The existence of something can be seemingly affirmed, but there is no "seemingly confirmed."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, chalk me up with the "punished for killing is the point" crowd. Numerous abilities were neutral in their base use, so it's not like playing pure non-lethal stealth regressed you to a limited set of skills. That and the non-lethal variants for targets usually required more involvement than simply offing them.

The game just didn't pat you on the back for massacring. And I mean, it doesn't have to. I think it's fine if that was detrimental to your experience but that was also largely the point. The Outsider drills this into you on several occasions, either mocking you for your insatiable use of the powers he's given you to mass murder everyone, or expressing surprise at your resilience. He empowers you to effortlessly kill and the challenge on your end is whether or not you'll succumb to that.

If you don't like the consequences for doing so, such as a bleaker ending, that's really your problem. "It's bad design that the game didn't give me a happy ending when I murdered everyone". It's really not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I also think that this one has the potential to do a lot better than the first game, in terms of sales. I mean, I hear it didn't do too awesome, despite high critical reception, and I think it simply took people a while to really catch on to what a brilliant creation it was. Now that most people know, it seems like this should hopefully sell well out of the gates.

Yeah, the original is sitting at around 2.2m on the PC according to SteamSpy (RU app + ROW app -- the free weekend for the latter was almost a year ago now), so first-month sales should be a lot stronger.

Truant

Dishonored is one of the best games of the last generation. And this is purely by world building, level design and gameplay.

My only real issue with it was the story itself. The game was begging for a Ken Levine-quality story.

Dishonored is one of the best games of the last generation. And this is purely by world building, level design and gameplay.

My only real issue with it was the story itself. The game was begging for a Ken Levine-quality story.

HAHAHA.

good joke mate

Bold One

Having finished it for the 1st time yesterday, I was left with one feeling

This is what Bioshock Infinite should have been

Curious what kind of aesthetic they'll go with for world this time. Dunwall had the obvious industrial-era London with a layer of technology on top of that with the whale oil/tesla stuff. But the game had all those books describing many other locations and cultures in the world, and it seems like the developers have hinted at wanting to explore those locations in the future which I think would be cool.

As neat of a setting as it was, I'd be disappointed if the sequel takes place exclusively in Dunwall again.

The one thing I wish is for these types of games, like Dishonored, where they say "oh, you can play it how you want! Go in fast, or stealthy, then they make the basically good ending only for stealth players. Would not hamper them in such a way, don't tie the endings to one-playstyle and then handicap the others.

I enjoyed Dishonored, but I felt like I "HAD" to play it stealthly and all of these "cool" toys that they give you to play with, the powers an dcombat moves, I had to ignore most of those because I didn't want a bad ending.

If you want to tie the ending of a game to something do it through story choices and other elements that any playstyle has a chance to choose an dmake such choices.

I just wnat all playstyles to feel free to play how they want without feeling like it's being punished.

I feel exactly the same, it doesn't help that Dishonored was honestly on of the more boring games to play ghost. Offensive skills were fun but they punished you for it.

Sotha_Sil

No one should be surprised, but awesome nonetheless. I really don't see any of the other conferences topping Bethesda for me right now:

Fallout 4
Doom
Dishonored: DE
Dishonored 2
TES:O news
Battlecry (meh)

Maybe Prey 2 by Arkane Austin? Teasers for MachineGames and Tango Gameworks? Maybe an outside collaboration? It's an guns-action-heavy lineup of sequels, but exciting nonetheless.

CHC

Oh my god my eyes roll so hard at people who thought playing non-lethal was boring. You have SOOOO many tools throughout the levels, if the only use you can think of for them is "killing dudes".... well that's not the game being boring, my friend.

Also the only "punishment" you get for killing guys was a darker ending and people's lower opinion of you. If killing is your thing, then levels with more guards, more rats, and more chaos should have been right up your alley.

CHC

Curious what kind of aesthetic they'll go with for world this time. Dunwall had the obvious industrial-era London with a layer of technology on top of that with the whale oil/tesla stuff. But the game had all those books describing many other locations and cultures in the world, and it seems like the developers have hinted at wanting to explore those locations in the future which I think would be cool.

As neat of a setting as it was, I'd be disappointed if the sequel takes place exclusively in Dunwall again.

I sincerely hope it's a Deus Ex 1 globe-trotting-on-the-run-from-powerful-enemies kinda thing. I would love a variety of locations (though for taking place only in one city the variety in the first game was pretty incredible). Also a few parts of the game in neutral turf with limited NPC interaction would be just great. Same kind of mechanics as the Hound Pits but bigger. Again, like Deus Ex. Walking around safe sections of the city and talking to people before infiltrating would be very cool.

Zolo

Yeah, chalk me up with the "punished for killing is the point" crowd. Numerous abilities were neutral in their base use, so it's not like playing pure non-lethal stealth regressed you to a limited set of skills. That and the non-lethal variants for targets usually required more involvement than simply offing them.

The game just didn't pat you on the back for massacring. And I mean, it doesn't have to. I think it's fine if that was detrimental to your experience but that was also largely the point. The Outsider drills this into you on several occasions, either mocking you for your insatiable use of the powers he's given you to mass murder everyone, or expressing surprise at your resilience. He empowers you to effortlessly kill and the challenge on your end is whether or not you'll succumb to that.

If you don't like the consequences for doing so, such as a bleaker ending, that's really your problem. "It's bad design that the game didn't give me a happy ending when I murdered everyone". It's really not.

I actually liked the ending where you save Emily in a high chaos path better than the low chaos path. Also, high chaos got a better last level which is much more important than a 2-minute cutscene.

No one should be surprised, but awesome nonetheless. I really don't see any of the other conferences topping Bethesda for me right now:

Fallout 4
Doom
Dishonored: DE
Dishonored 2
TES:O news
Battlecry (meh)

Maybe Prey 2 by Arkane Austin? Teasers for MachineGames and Tango Gameworks? Maybe an outside collaboration? It's an guns-action-heavy lineup of sequels, but exciting nonetheless.

I can see all of that - including Arkane Austin's Prey 2 (albeit maybe under a different name) - but you definitely won't see any teases from MachineGames or Tango. Tango's just wrapped up The Evil Within's season pass and they're only one team. Same for MachineGames and Wolfenstein: The New Blood.

They'll have started pre-production on their next games, but obviously, way too soon to show anythng.

I would put it past Bethesda announcing another acquisition among the likes of id, Arkane or Tango, though.

I hope it keeps the same open linear design of the levels and gets rid of the hub. The first game was tons of fun and had a very nice aesthetic. Depending on how good the reveal is, I can see myself anticipating this more than Fallout.

So many people thinking this is fake, lol. This is as real as it gets. Hyped for more Dishonored, truly one of the best games of last generation.

Top Bottom