• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney cuts ties with PewDiePie after he posts antisemetic videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why upload and publish the video?

That's the thing the bothers me the most, if he wants to apologize and say he didn't think they would do it then explain why you had to make the video instead of just referencing it.
And then make ANOTHER video with a joke just like that two weeks later.

Like god damn boy is millions of dollars not enough reason to think "shit maybe this is stupid and a horrible idea?"

He did several ones. I complained about them in the H3 OT and got called a SJW. Many of my friends stopped following H3 over those videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzz6gx09zLM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OG8tqbxLR0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjTc-EiwHqc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7E-NFJaAgk

Those videos really made me dislike him. He is so uninformed and it isn't even him playing up a persona. If he ever makes a video saying "Well you know what guys. Both sides were not the same." I would subscribe to him again but I don't want to support him living in his fantasy "both sides" world. I follow Youtubers that were just straight up and honest and said "I am not a fan of Hillary, she comes off as untrustworthy" cool sure whatever that's your opinion but I'm not about to have someone tell me that both sides are the same.

And then make ANOTHER video with a joke just like that two weeks later.

Like god damn boy is millions of dollars not enough reason to think "shit maybe this is stupid and a horrible idea?"

6e478c26252caf14ead2c0fbec49d29b.jpg

His management team talking about millions.

Antisemitism and many other forms of racism are making a serious comeback in this meme culture in which we live. It's pretty scary when kids look up to these people as role models and are taught this sort of behavior is acceptable or even cool.

What a scary world we live in.

Good for a company with a history like Disney's to take a stand against this sort of thing, even if it is a bit late.

How is ok for shows like South Park and Always Sunny to parody such topics but not an online entertainer such as PewDiePie?

I don't assume Matt and Trey are Nazis because of the shit Cartman does and the same goes for the Sunny cast. I don't even watch PewDiePie but it's a slippery slope to assume anyone who jokes about such topics support them.
People who are actually calling him a nazi are idiots, but those shows by and large get away with what they do because they understand the nuance of comedy well enough to toe the line.

When making a joke about Hitler, or Nazis, or the Holocaust, or any controversial issue the punchline can't just be something dumb like this. There isn't any deeper thought to be had. It's just a guy going "Wouldn't it be funny if we make some random guys say something terrible?!"

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
Yes, what he did was probably stupid. But I think people are missing something here. He doesn't think "Death to all Jews" is funny. He is shocked that the people actually did it. He didn't think they'd do it. Has no one heard of shock humour? It's literally what Louis CK created his brand around. I can't believe how sensitive GAF is getting. He clearly isn't serious here about these being his really thoughts. Maybe it's because I don't live in the USA but man is the internet getting touchy.

Kazerei

Banned
Good satire would involve actually lampooning Nazis. Simply regurgitating Nazi remarks while laughing is going to just look like you're ... well, regurgitating Nazi remarks.

Then why upload and publish the video?

That's the thing the bothers me the most, if he wants to apologize and say he didn't think they would do it then explain why you had to make the video instead of just referencing it.

Did he? I mean it's not like it was live or her had to upload it. Don't be gullible

Was he broadcasting live? If he uploaded after the fact, his actions show he didn't realize he had made a mistake.

He had a convincing surprised look to me. Maybe he didn't think it would be a big deal considering Disney has been relaxed with his content until now.

Yes, what he did was probably stupid. But I think people are missing something here. He doesn't think "Death to all Jews" is funny. He is shocked that the people actually did it. He didn't think they'd do it. Has no one heard of shock humour? It's literally what Louis CK created his brand around. I can't believe how sensitive GAF is getting. He clearly isn't serious here about these being his really thoughts. Maybe it's because I don't live in the USA but man is the internet getting touchy.

It wasn't just that. If it was just that and he went "sorry that was inappropriate" that's one thing.

Dude makes a Hitler did nothing wrong joke less than two full weeks after he made that initial one.

One is an accident, two is a pattern.

If you're comparing Louis CK to PewDiePie than you really can't lecture people about missing something

I dont live in the US but thats still not a joke...

Heck, Family Guy, South Park even use context and not just "lol, death to all jews." Thats not shock humour what Pewdiepie did. Thats tasteless 9gag/4chan/reddit "Hitler so funny", "Nazis so funny" bullshit.

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
We are not talking about that.

Yes a lot of people are saying it's PewDiPie's responsibility to watch or for the kids watching him. Hate to break it to you guys but kids only make up a portion of his viewers. A huge chunk of his viewers are 16-25. He doesn't have to stifle whatever he wants to make because kids happen to watch him. It's free speech.

But clearly he does think it's funny as he specifically chose that message in order to amuse his fanbase. He could've picked something else shocking that wasn't antisemetic.

The problem is that hatred and racism is an issue far from solved anywhere in the world, promoting it, even as a joke, since some people will always take it seriously, is never good.

Plus this is starting to become a pattern for him.

Mr. Kjellberg, who in late December was working out of an old Disney office outside London, has said the media takes his jokes out of context.

”What I just think—and I believe strongly in—is that it is 2017 now," he said in the Jan. 22 video that was taken down. ”We're going to have to start separating what is a joke, and what is actually problematic.

”Is a joke actually pure racism?" he said. ”Is something that would be considered a joke purely homophobic, or anti-Semitic and all these things? Context fucking matters."

I agree. Context absolutely matters. For example, telling an anti-semitic joke while you have business ties with Disney is worse than doing so when you don't.

Fucking dumbass.

Ethan, PhillyD, Boogie, and GradeAUnderA all came out with videos like that, and they all left my subscription list. I can admit I found their videos [very] entertaining at times but I couldn't listen to them after they hit me with that crap.

Now back to PewD he really has an obsession with Nazi themes for his videos. Like I mentioned before I am a fan of his darker humor but he has crossed the line with this video after already testing his limits in prior videos.

I'm surprised to hear that he is banned from Twitter now.

The "opinionated Youtube king" stuff is getting old. I felt like they were all capable of pulling that type of nonsense early on but I dont know why

Guess Who

Banned
Yes a lot of people are saying it's PewDiPie's responsibility to watch or for the kids watching him. Hate to break it to you guys but kids only make up a portion of his viewers. A huge chunk of his viewers are 16-25. He doesn't have to stifle whatever he wants to make because kids happen to watch him. It's free speech.

Repeat after me, folks:

Free speech doesn't mean people can't call you on your shit.
Free speech doesn't mean there are no consequences for the things you say.

Louis CK has very rarely said terrible things randomly for his jokes. And when he does he calls it out as terrible for the sake of being terrible. Most of the time his jokes about controversial topics have a far deeper meaning than simply saying something horrible.

He certainly isn't what I would call "Shock humor" nor did he build a career around it.

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
If you're comparing Louis CK to PewDiePie than you really can't lecture people about missing something

I didn't? I said PewDiPie's humour is shock humour, and a good chunk of comedians (including Louis CK's) are too. But clearly no one in this thread has a reading comprehension level above Grade 1 so I'm just going to leave this thread.

Teenagers are still kids. They do adult things, but have no life experience or context to make fully informed decisions.

I didn't? I said PewDiPie's humour is shock humour, and a good chunk of comedians (including Louis CK's) are too. But clearly no one in this thread has a reading comprehension level above Grade 1 so I'm just going to leave this thread.

No. People disagree with you. Seems Grade 1 is still better than kindergarden level where you cant even back up your arguments and leave the discussion.

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
But clearly he does think it's funny as he specifically chose that message in order to amuse his fanbase. He could've picked something else shocking that wasn't antisemetic.

The problem is that hatred and racism is an issue far from solved anywhere in the world, promoting it, even as a joke, since some people will always take it seriously, is never good.

Plus this is starting to become a pattern for him.

He picked something that he believed wouldn't get written. Something so terrible and horrible that no one would write it. And then they did, so he laughed because of how absurd it was. The joke isn't "lol nazis killed Jews", the joke is "holy shit these guys are insane they don't give a shit".

For someone making fun of someone elses reading abilities you're certainly pretty ironic by saying "I didn't compare them." and following that up with how you compared them.

He picked something that he believed wouldn't get written. Something so terrible and horrible that no one would write it. And then they did, so he laughed because of how absurd it was. The joke isn't "lol nazis killed Jews", the joke is "holy shit these guys are insane they don't give a shit".

2 weeks later he made a "Hitler didnt do anything wrong "joke".

And even then you dont hire people for fun to write "Death to all Jews" and see whether they do it or not...

I agree. Context absolutely matters. For example, telling an anti-semitic joke while you have business ties with Disney is worse than doing so when you don't.

Fucking dumbass.

His channel has always had swearing and inappropriate language. Business ties with Disney =/= he needs to be squeaky-clean, it's not like he's a Disney Channel star or anything.

Also PewDiePie doesn't need to work another day in his life if he doesn't want to, so I doubt he really gives a shit.

Randomizer

People who are actually calling him a nazi are idiots, but those shows by and large get away with what they do because they understand the nuance of comedy well enough to toe the line.

When making a joke about Hitler, or Nazis, or the Holocaust, or any controversial issue the punchline can't just be something dumb like this. There isn't any deeper thought to be had. It's just a guy going "Wouldn't it be funny if we make some random guys say something terrible?!"
I totally get and see your point there and definitely agree. But I still think the 'anti-semitism' claims are an over reaction.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
are you talking about his video making fun of news/drama channels? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiYEbLQM2dg

funny video too, yeah he's definitely a nazi/s

OK, that was actually a real funny parody.

PewDie should know better though, he's too big for this kind of stuff and you end up with pieces like the WSJ that take most of it all out of context or don't understand what he's making fun of.

You honestly believe that he really thought he couldn't get people to do it? A YouTube millionaire like pewdiepie couldn't throw his name out there and find someone to do it? Please, even if these guys wouldn't have, he would've found someone who would and put up a video with that message.

I totally get and see your point there and definitely agree. But I still think the 'anti-semitism' claims are an over reaction.

I wouldnt call him anti-semitic, but the problem is that he is using the modern internet humour about how "it wasnt that bad during Nazi Germany" thats somehow rampant on 4chan/reddit/9gag in the last few years and make "jokes" out of them, that arent really jokes.

Ponn

Banned

There is multiple instances besides just this one. Read the comments in his videos, i'm sure he does, he knows his audience and he is giving nods and winks to all of them. Youtube audience is just as toxic as places like Facebook and Twitter and these youtubers who are the new kind of celebs are completely inexperienced and falling for their own hype and clinging to the audience they get.

And finally, why did he send them the exact phrase "Death to all jews" if he wasn't secretly hoping they would do it for a reaction shot he was fishing for? Who thinks to themselves that using a phrase like 'death to all jews" in any context is ok to do? Shock humor is not an excuse, its shitty people using shitty low hanging fruit cultivating the worst audiences like Howard Stern and Tom Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom