• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney cuts ties with PewDiePie after he posts antisemetic videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignoring that being part of Gamergate isn't something you can just go "oops my bad" on, you should also take a look at his current antics like openly retweeting Infowars and joining streams with the likes of Sargon of Akkad.

Jontron is still with GamerGate. The GG in that post was Game Grumps.

Maker is Disney? I thought Polaris was Disney?

Or is Maker Polaris?

Anyway Pewdiepie is trash for this, but he became popular on the back of rape and r*tard jokes so it's not that surprising

Pewds was part of Polaris which was owned by Maker, then Disney bought Maker and pewdiepie was roped into it.

I highly doubt he cares about losing his ties to them.

Megalo

You can make jokes about anything but not everybody will like it. This is how jokes work.

It's ok to find this unfunny or even to be offended by it, that does not make him a bad person

The joke is he's getting people to say outrageous stuff. It's the definition of satire. You don't have to like it but the point of the video was not "Jews are scum". It's the absurdity of paying somebody to hold up a sign saying it and them doing it.

I see. The goal isn't anti-Semitism. The goal is to laugh at poor foreigners that don't speak English.

How is ok for shows like South Park and Always Sunny to parody such topics but not an online entertainer such as PewDiePie?

I don't assume Matt and Trey are Nazis because of the shit Cartman does and the same goes for the Sunny cast. I don't even watch PewDiePie but it's a slippery slope to assume anyone who jokes about such topics support them.

I dont' think you understand what parody is. Paying so that some people hold up a sign that says "DEATH TO ALL JEWS", as a punchline, is not parody.

It was a terrible joke, but this article and post are completely taking it out of context to push an agenda which many gaffers are falling for. I don't like the guy but he's not antisemitic, and if you want the full context he posted a video response days after the event explaining his thoughts. Tbh this is a really bad thread.

I don't think there is much of an agenda to push. The guy has an obsession with Nazi humor and finds it hilarious. I think subtle dark humor is extremely funny and clever when executed well.

I watch PewD's video. I like most of his stuff. But it is clear he doesn't know when to stop and this is no longer a joke or funny after his past actions.

You can make jokes about anything but not everybody will like it. This is how jokes work.

It's ok to find this unfunny or even to be offended by it, that does not make him a bad person

Some people will think he's a bad guy based on these sorts of actions, some will not. That's how people's opinions work.

100%

It's because of h3h3

I felt like Pewd improved in quality since collaborating with h3h3 but then when h3h3 turned out to be a piece of shit, I'm not surprised that he ended up being a bad influence.

No, these sorts of edgy jokes were never funny, regardless of who you are or who your friends are.
Wait, what did h3h3 do?

It's fuckin HARD keeping up with this youtube drama

Jombie

Better question is: Why did he think it was a good idea to pay people to hold up a sign reading "Death to all Jews". And then edit the video. And then upload it.

He's an idiot :\

That's another issue, not only is he an idiot but taking advantage of people who clearly just wanted to get paid for something. This stuff is very nasty.

jtb

Banned

Sure, it does.

It's indefensible.

nynt9

Vinnk

Yes a lot of people are saying it's PewDiPie's responsibility to watch or for the kids watching him. Hate to break it to you guys but kids only make up a portion of his viewers. A huge chunk of his viewers are 16-25. He doesn't have to stifle whatever he wants to make because kids happen to watch him. It's free speech.

And he has the right to it. Everyone does. But Disney also has the right to take away his sponsorship.

He is no martyr to the free speech cause. He needs those ads to keep rolling.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
100%

It's because of h3h3

I felt like Pewd improved in quality since collaborating with h3h3 but then when h3h3 turned out to be a piece of shit, I'm not surprised that he ended up being a bad influence.

No, these sorts of edgy jokes were never funny, regardless of who you are or who your friends are.

Yeah, I'm sure it was that known antisemite piece of shit h3h3 putting him up to these stunts. What are you on about?

I'm not saying he's a bad person, but anti-Semitic jokes normalize anti-Semitism which results in actual bad things happening. PDP is likely poorly informed and immature.

Pewds was part of Polaris which was owned by Maker, then Disney bought Maker and pewdiepie was roped into it.

I highly doubt he cares about losing his ties to them.
Ohhh. That whole thing confused me. I always associate Polaris with ATVs anyway 🤷🏽*♀️
I mean, his whole channel is about 'those damn SJWs destroying everything' isn't it?
I really only see his videos when there's a thread about them here, like that call out video about the fine bros and the one about csgo lotto

That's a bummer tho
To quote myself:
Oh, gross. That's disappointing

I just unsubscribed from the idiot's channel. I rarely watched his videos to begin with. I don't want to have anything to do with an idiot that post antisemitic shit even if he's joking or not.

Pennywise

In his mind it's "just a joke," but the problem is the 10% of kids who take this shit seriously. I bet the mosque shooter read a lot of jokes on the internet too.

And he was old enough to distinguish, so that's hardly something that pushed him into the corner.
Not really the smartest connection you can make.

Moosichu

no, sounds like a nazi piece of shit to me.

I don't think comparing Trump to Nazism is meant to be a ringing endorsement of either.

He's been an idiot, lives in a privileged bubble, and unfunny. Not a Nazi though.

He does deserve everything that's coming to him though. Normalising this stuff is not ok.

Vamphuntr

What an awful person. I fail to see how it's funny in the first place. Moreover he apparently had 9 videos with stuff like that according to the WSJ so it's more a pattern than a mistake. No idea what that website is to order stuff like that but it seems the perfect way for rich assholes like him to abuse desperate people.

more coming?

2017-02-13.jpg

Alienfan

Wait, what did h3h3 do?

It's fuckin HARD keeping up with this youtube drama

I'll take a guess and say it has something to do with him making videos like "MTV hates white people" and "Buzzfeed hates men", while failing to acknowledge or report serious forms of oppression. He's not a complete shit head, he called John Tron out, but he sure knows how to cater towards his young, white conservative audience

Mega

Banned
I see. The goal isn't anti-Semitism. The goal is to laugh at poor foreigners that don't speak English.

I'm not defending it but he was clearly attempting generalized absurd/outrage humor. "Can I get these people to do this crazy thing? Let's see."

Serious question: terrible sense of humor aside, do people think he's a genuine Jew-hating Neo Nazi? The kind who wants an all white nation and push "inferiors" into ghettoes and ovens? Or is it more plausible that he's an idiot edgelord who overestimated his ability to be cutting edge and funny?

Yukinari

Feel like a lot of people have been cutting ties with Polaris either because they wanna go independent or because they just dont care for political correctness anymore.

Not that you should be doing this stuff if you work for Disney but im seeing it a lot. The comparisons to H3H3 are unfair honestly.

-Ryn

Banned
Sure are shit if it was his family that ended up in a concentration camp he wouldn't be making jokes like that. That's the problem here.

My guess is everyone here who sees no issue with this sort of repeated thing at all likely has no personal connections to what happened either.
Glad to know you can speak for every Jew who had a family member in concentration camps.

True Fire

And he was old enough to distinguish, so that's hardly something that pushed him into the corner.
Not really the smartest connection you can make.

It's not about pushing someone into a corner. It's about slowly leading people into the corner as they grow up on YouTube, reddit, and 4chan and become desensitized to racism, misogyny, and bigotry. The internet has made a mockery out of every group besides straight white men, and if you criticize them you're a SJW. Internet celebs are a really terrible influence on young people.

I'm not defending it but he was clearly attempting generalized absurd/outrage humor. "Can I get these people to do this crazy thing? Let's see."

Serious question: terrible sense of humor aside, do people think he's a genuine Jew-hating Neo Nazi? The kind who wants an all white nation and push "inferiors" into ghettoes and ovens? Or is it more plausible that he's an idiot edgelord who overestimated his ability to be cutting edge and funny?

I think that thing 2 has a long and demonstrable history at this point of turning into thing 1 at the drop of the hat, so you might as well treat 'em the same. They might as well be.

Ponn

Banned

Is not being a white nationalist but doing jokes and memes that play up to that crowd really that much better?

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, I'm sure it was that known antisemite piece of shit h3h3 putting him up to these stunts. What are you on about?

h3h3 fucking loves making such jokes that Pewds never went to. Pewds used to say slurs in his old videos but wouldn't actively try to be edgy by making them/pretending that it's okay to be offended by shit. These dudes hung out a lot and would collab on jokes and they got edgier and edgier, if you allow me to

Like, h3h3 would joking "blame Hila for 9/11" and random shit like that. He'd find any excuse to make a Louis C.K. like joke about black people, all because he wanted to drive in the anti-SJW theme.

I mean, just look at PewDiePie's videos post-Leafy and h3h3's fame. It's constant social edgy bullshit

--

like, i mean fuck, anyone remember Evalion?

jtb

Banned

Frankly, it's a distinction without a difference. What, you think there are IQ tests you need to pass to gain membership to the KKK?

Judge someone by their actions. Well, the actions are pretty fucked up.

aadiboy

100%

It's because of h3h3

h3h3 is Jewish tho

So saying "Hitler did nothing wrong" as a joke is also clever satire?

And come on. Like some other poster would have said. He even edited the video, submitted it. And if they wouldnt have done it, who knows? Maybe he would have found someone else to do it.

Saying hitler did nothing wrong isn't especially clever satire, no. But if you're intending to show how people will do anything for money and you pay someone next to nothing to say something outrageous, yeah that's satire. I don't understand how anyone can look at that video and think the take away message is that pewdiepie actually hates Jews as opposed to he acknowledges openly wishing death on all Jews to be an outrageously absurd stance and finds dark comedy in people being willing to say it for money.

Feel like a lot of people have been cutting ties with Polaris either because they wanna go independent or because they just dont care for political correctness anymore.

Not that you should be doing this stuff if you work for Disney but im seeing it a lot. The comparisons to H3H3 are unfair honestly.

Is H3H3 really considered worse? I though from his reception from most places I visit online that people did not view his actions as bad.

It's not about pushing someone into a corner. It's about slowly leading people into the corner as they grow up on YouTube, reddit, and 4chan and become desensitized to racism, misogyny, and bigotry. The internet has made a mockery out of every group besides straight white men, and if you criticize them you're a SJW. Internet celebs are a really terrible influence on young people.

I agree 100% with this post. You have children growing up with the main references they have to the holocaust is through "jokes" from people online.

h3h3 is Jewish tho

So?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom