• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney cuts ties with PewDiePie after he posts antisemetic videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not defending it but he was clearly attempting generalized absurd/outrage humor. "Can I get these people to do this crazy thing? Let's see."

Serious question: terrible sense of humor aside, do people think he's a genuine Jew-hating Neo Nazi? The kind who wants an all white nation and push "inferiors" into ghettoes and ovens? Or is it more plausible that he's an idiot edgelord who overestimated his ability to be cutting edge and funny?
He's not racist, just an idiot. Yet again it's a thin line between the two.

Mister X

Neo Member
Why do people feel obligated to like this guy? Is it just because of how many followers he has? Or is there enjoyment in getting your eardrums blown out from the loud and annoying sounds he makes?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
h3h3 fucking loves making such jokes that Pewds never went to. Pewds used to say slurs in his old videos but wouldn't actively try to be edgy by making them/pretending that it's okay to be offended by shit. These dudes hung out a lot and would collab on jokes and they got edgier and edgier, if you allow me to

Like, h3h3 would joking "blame Hila for 9/11" and random shit like that. He'd find any excuse to make a Louis C.K. like joke about black people, all because he wanted to drive in the anti-SJW theme.

I mean, just look at PewDiePie's videos post-Leafy and h3h3's fame. It's constant social edgy bullshit

--

like, i mean fuck, anyone remember Evalion?

Yeah, must've been h3h3 brainwashing him with antisemitic rhetoric. h3h3 documented his trip to Israel and married an Israeli as a long con. It's all obvious now.

Saying hitler did nothing wrong isn't especially clever satire, no. But if you're intending to show how people will do anything for money and you pay someone next to nothing to say something outrageous, yeah that's satire. I don't understand how anyone can look at that video and think the take away message is that pewdiepie actually hates Jews as opposed to he acknowledges openly wishing death on all Jews to be an outrageously absurd stance and finds dark comedy in people being willing to say it for money.

sat·ire
ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/
noun
the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

How is this satire? What is being exposed or criticized? They provide a service. It is not satire if a jackass requests a sign that contains a reference I do not know.

Christhor

Dude had a deal with Disney, damn.

And now he is untouchable by any big name sponsor.

To be fair, you don't actually need to be in a network. It's mostly to help you gain an audience and Pewds is the biggest youtuber out there. He'll be fine, there's plenty of youtubers who live off of youtube without being part of a network.

Why do people feel obligated to like this guy? Is it just because of how many followers he has? Or is there enjoyment in getting your eardrums blown out from the loud and annoying sounds he makes?

I think most of us were just indifferent towards him at a time when everyone mainly hated him cuz he made lots of money doing scare cams.

sat·ire
ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/
noun
the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

Yeah. Getting uneducated people to say stupid exaggerated shit for money is exposing stupidity.

Man what a fucking bummer. I always respected him for growing the fuck up and admitting some of his edgy humor just wasn't funny or cool, then he has to go and do shit like this.

What an ass. I'll be waiting for the predictable non-apologetic "apology" video where where a young skinny white dude whines about how difficult his life is and how people have it out for him.

Varth

I remember PewDiePie threads on this board where people who said they didn't like the guy were referred to as haters.

Huh.

They still are. Anyone criticizing him is envious of his hot italian wife.

Never understood how her being italian is a plus, but I guess its me being italian.

Miletius

I'm not defending it but he was clearly attempting generalized absurd/outrage humor. "Can I get these people to do this crazy thing? Let's see."

Serious question: terrible sense of humor aside, do people think he's a genuine Jew-hating Neo Nazi? The kind who wants an all white nation and push "inferiors" into ghettoes and ovens? Or is it more plausible that he's an idiot edgelord who overestimated his ability to be cutting edge and funny?

I doubt he is actually a Nazi sympathizer IRL. But I guess the idea of the Holocaust being a punchline really rubs me the wrong way. Maybe that is political correctness.

We are living in a climate (at least in the US), where white nationalists have been emboldened by recent events. A major plank of that platform is Nazism. I wouldn't want my theoretical kids laughing about killing all the Jews. Since kids are Pewdepie's main audience perhaps he should know better.

dubq

How very Aryan of him. The faster this sack of shit fades from relevance, the better.

Edit: it doesn't matter if it was a joke or a prank or whatever.. fuck him for trying to normalize this shit as acceptable humor.

Christhor

Yeah, must've been h3h3 brainwashing him with antisemitic rhetoric. h3h3 documented his trip to Israel and married an Israeli as a long con. It's all obvious now.

The real long con Ethan did was make sure his parents were jewish. He's really going all the way with this con.

That is not stupidity. Your post is stupidity.

Being uneducated and not knowing the reference to a phrase that someone is requesting from a service you provide is not exposing stupidity.

The conceit that you will hold up signs you don't know the meaning of in exchange for money is stupid.

If someone handed me a sign in Arabic and told me to hold it up for a camera guess what? I wouldn't. Cos that's fucking stupid.

Varth

How very Aryan of him. The faster this sack of shit fades from relevance, the better.

Edit: it doesn't matter if it was a joke or a prank or whatever.. fuck him for trying to normalize this shit as acceptable humor.

Aaand we're done.

Randomizer

They still are. Anyone criticizing him is envious of his hot italian wife.

Never understood how her being italian is a plus, but I guess its me being italian.
It's just a descriptor, like how most articles mention that PewDiePie is Swedish.

Randomizer

The conceit that you will hold up signs you don't know the meaning of in exchange for money is stupid.

If someone handed me a sign in Arabic and told me to hold it up for a camera guess what? I wouldn't. Cos that's fucking stupid.
Kind of like all those idiots with random Chinese and Japanese words as tattoos.

Or because you do not provide a service to hold up signs for money in good faith that the person just wants to send a message to someone else.

If I have a bakery and if a Spanish speaking individual asks me to decorate the cake with "Trujillo es Dios" I would not assume foul play. There is nothing stupid about expecting decency from people when you have ran your shop long before some jackass decided to make a "joke."

Saying hitler did nothing wrong isn't especially clever satire, no. But if you're intending to show how people will do anything for money and you pay someone next to nothing to say something outrageous, yeah that's satire.I don't understand how anyone can look at that video and think the take away message is that pewdiepie actually hates Jews as opposed to he acknowledges openly wishing death on all Jews to be an outrageously absurd stance and finds dark comedy in people being willing to say it for money.

I cannot stand pewdiepie for the singular fact that I hate his content, I find his voice annoying, his jokes unfunny and the jump cuts, my god, but I don't see how someone could actually think he's serious about this, I mean I hate pewdiepie probably more than anyone in this thread and even I can clearly see that he is joking (although in bad taste as usual).

Also just because H3 defended jontron on twitter doesn't mean you have to blame him for pewdiepie own actions, he's a grown man for god sake (even though he doesn't act like one). I don't see how this video or any of his in the last 6 months have been any different from the shitty videos he made 2 years ago, pewdiepie has always been like this.

Exactly how I feel. It doesn't matter if it was a joke or not it's still fucked up.

Nepenthe

Satire exposes a problem by highlighting the stupidity or follies of people or institutions, of which not knowing a language isn't actually a problem. If this is how low the bar is, then every single fucking practical joke would fall under satire.

What he did was a stupid-ass joke that included anti-Semetic language. He wasn't being satirical, he was being a loser.

Christhor

Well Pewdiepie probably has enough money for the rest of his life. But this was a shit thing to do, good on Disney

The truth is that he'll probably be making more money now, since he doesn't have to pay a network to do nothing for him. The contracts they sign are usually close to impossible to get out of, so he could have wanted out too, lol.

Mega

Banned
Is not being a white nationalist but doing jokes and memes that play up to that crowd really that much better?

Which crowd? Someone earlier said he's pandering to his audience of alt righters...!!! His audience is almost entirely adolescents and tweens who don't know what any of this is. At most he's irresponsible for influencing young minds that are not (yet) racists.

Frankly, it's a distinction without a difference. What, you think there are IQ tests you need to pass to gain membership to the KKK?

Judge someone by their actions. Well, the actions are pretty fucked up.

I'm saying PDP is the type who wouldn't join the KKK or Nazis because he factually finds them to be disgusting and terrible. His poor humor isn't meant as an indicator that he supports them in any way and he hasn't demonstrated any hatred of minorities.

He's not racist, just an idiot. Yet again it's a thin line between the two.

Yeah, I agree that it can be but I personally don't think it's a line he crossed nor intended to cross.

I doubt he is actually a Nazi sympathizer IRL. But I guess the idea of the Holocaust being a punchline really rubs me the wrong way. Maybe that is political correctness.

We are living in a climate (at least in the US), where white nationalists have been emboldened by recent events. A major plank of that platform is Nazism. I wouldn't want my theoretical kids laughing about killing all the Jews. Since kids are Pewdepie's main audience perhaps he should know better.

Agreed. I think that's his primary crime here.

lastplace09

Neo Member
Yes--it was a joke, but people get "freedom of speech" and "freedom of consequence" mixed up constantly.

If you are going to make a joke about something very sensitive like that...be prepared to pay the price for it.

Sorry, but there is NO room for any more hate speech of any kind right now.

Also--Disney is allowed to make or break ties with anyone they want for any reason. This is as good of a reason as any.

Vinnk

Is he a Nazi? Does he believe in that ideology? I seriously doubt it. Does he know how hurtful his "jokes" could be taken? I really don't think he wants to hurt or offend anyone. I detect no malice. Same with the rape jokes he used to make. I never for a moment though he was a rapist or advocated rape.

But ignorance does exonerate.

When we normalize horrible things, they grow to be perceived as less horrible. And when we no longer find vile things to be vile we tolerate them a lot more.

He wants to make these "jokes". Go right ahead, but Disney is absolutely correct to not compensate him for doing it.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d5LVjmrjm0

He was ordering shit off fiver (.com) and 'ordered' these guys to make a sign that said "Death to all Jews"

The regret on his face is priceless. I watched the full video, the video purposely cut off his apology (it happen a few seconds after that). Still, it would make more sense not to upload this part in the first place. I had a few good laughs at this episode.

Comedians often feature holocaust jokes and whatnot. Jimmy Car in the UK does it quite frequently, presumably a few others, I don't watch much stand up.

It's not illegal (racism and prejudice is illegal in the UK) and I think most people see these jokes as harmless. But I don't get it, his 'joke', just said 'death to all jews', and other nonsense, it's not even a joke. There's no punchline there, it's just offensive.

The difference is that Jimmy makes these jokes with acknowledgement of the tragedy that the Jewish people faces, he never once jokes about anything that could be construed as he himself, hating Jewish people. He trivialises tragedy but doesn't express any hate.

It's a bit weird where people draw the line really, but PewDiePie's remarks are really weird here. Why would he show this content on his channel? Whichever way you spin what he featured on his channel, it's obvious anti-semnitism, it's not a joke, and in the UK at least it would be against the law.

Arcia

Banned
Honestly, I'm surprised Disney ever even was onboard with Pewdiepie. I don't know about his newer content, but his old videos used to be incredibly inappropriate for kids to watch. Like him constantly screaming about wanting to rape people in his videos. Specifically I remember that being highlighted in this video: https://youtu.be/FFbVKL-Meo0

Some people have told me that he "cleaned up" his image a bit and stopped making constant rape jokes, though again I don't watch his garbage so I can't confirm that. But hearing that he is also now inserting nazi references doesn't surprise me. This dude always seemed vile.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Do people really think losing the backing of a corp like disney is "not a big deal"?

I figure this will probably not HELP in anyway at all towards his goals (if he had any)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom