• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ HERO 2 |OT| Bobby Says Knock You Out

Sai-kun said:
i've got the points for it, but I haven't jumped in yet.

I reeaalllyyy wanna hear their remix of SOFI Needs a Ladder.
I'm trying to remember but I think you can at least hear a preview in their in-game store.

Belfast

I bought the first one when it went on sale at TRU last year, but I don't know if I can justify the second. Both games are a little too hip-hop heavy for me, when I'd prefer a more even balance with electronic music. Don't want to get burned twice.

Belfast said:
I bought the first one when it went on sale at TRU last year, but I don't know if I can justify the second. Both games are a little too hip-hop heavy for me, when I'd prefer a more even balance with electronic music. Don't want to get burned twice.
Yeah unfortunately there is a lot of hip hop in the 2nd one as well.

jax (old)

Banned
bought the turntable bundle today for $49 AUD at jbhifi. Just played 2 empire tracks and 2 free play ones. Not a bad game. I'm strugggling with the scratches (when I end my scratches, I tend to lose the beat). Still, not a bad buy at all.

Oni Jazar

I got this game for $20 thanks to the Toys-R-Us deal last weekend but I'm not really feeling it.

I really enjoy the mixes but Medium is too easy & boring for me and Hard is too difficult. Also the whole game play element feels so chaotic. I don't feel like I'm mixing up some phat beats in the way that you feel like a Rock God with GH/RB games. Turntables spin on their own, don't have buttons on them, require at least two to mix... The distance between the simulation and the real thing is just too far apart. It may as well be a game that just worked on regular controllers like Frequency/Amplitude.

Oni Jazar said:
I got this game for $20 thanks to the Toys-R-Us deal last weekend but I'm not really feeling it.

I really enjoy the mixes but Medium is too easy & boring for me and Hard is too difficult. Also the whole game play element feels so chaotic and I don't feel like I'm mixing up some phat beats in the way that you feel like a Rock God with GH/RB games. Turntables spin on their own, don't have buttons on them, require at least two to mix... The distance between the simulation and the real thing is just too far apart. It may as well be a game that just worked on regular controllers like Frequency/Amplitude.
Yeah the buttons on the platter are silly and gamey, but I think scratching and crossfading is something that wouldn't feel nearly as cool with a regular controller.

PwnCakes

Neo Member
I picked up DJ Hero 2 at TRU for $25 the other day, not a bad game at all. MUCH harder than Guitar Hero/Rock Band in my opinion.

jax (old)

Banned
PwnCakes said:
I picked up DJ Hero 2 at TRU for $25 the other day, not a bad game at all. MUCH harder than Guitar Hero/Rock Band in my opinion.

My hand does tend to slip off the scratch disc and I'll have to tap buttons and try and pull it back to where it should sit.

I think its pretty good. The tracks are kind of fun to 'mix'

but its activision so I'm glad I bought this @ bomba prices.

Jswanko

Just noticed Amazon has DJ Hero 2 with turntable for $25 right now, stand alone for $18.49. In case anyone has been waiting for it to get that low

Jswanko said:
Just noticed Amazon has DJ Hero 2 with turntable for $25 right now, stand alone for $18.49. In case anyone has been waiting for it to get that low

Tempting. Hoping I can find an amazing deal on the Party Bundle one day so I can get a Mic along with it, but Standalone <$20 is damn tempting itself.

Owensboro

Jswanko said:

Thanks for the heads up! I was waiting for Amazon to have a sale on this thing. Thanks to previous game credit I just picked it up for $6. That's hard to turn down.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Think the music packs will ever drop in price? I kinda want to get the classic trance anthems pack (loved a lot of those songs back in the day), but can't really justify 640 points for them.

djtiesto said:
Think the music packs will ever drop in price? I kinda want to get the classic trance anthems pack (loved a lot of those songs back in the day), but can't really justify 640 points for them.
I doubt it, Activision sucks balls when it comes to stuff like that.

I can personally vouch that that track pack is awesome, along with the free Tiesto pack it's the only one I bought.

Owensboro

I got this in the mail on Friday and finally had a chance to give it a try on Sunday and Monday. This is my first DJ Hero game, and so far it's a lot of fun. I'm having a lot of trouble being consistent on scratches (Playing on Medium) which angers me a lot. I always think I either hit the button or release it at the perfect time and always drop it somehow. I think I'm just losing the count and don't realize how many beats the scratch is supposed to last because it isn't any actual sort of note with tempo. I blame playing an instrument at some point.

Other then that though, I'm really digging the music in the game. I love the mixes when I know the two songs mixing real well, and I'm progressing through the game without any problem really. The only thing that almost made me throw the controller across the room was that first DJ battle in the first "Club" on Empire mode. I assume it's supposed to be optional, but I'm unfortunately a completion-ist and had to beat him. After trying for probably an hour and a half I just gave up and moved on feeling completely defeated. I was incredibly happy when I hit the first mandatory DJ battle and the guy wasn't hitting 80%+ on every section of music.

Quick question for everyone who is good at this game: How should I have the turntables? I'm right handed and have the mixer on the left. As for wheel placement, I originally started on the "outside" configuration but had a hard time getting grip for scratches. I have since then switched to "inside" configuration so I can keep my thumb on the raised part around the outer edge of the turntable. Is this the best configuration? Also, how in the heck are you supposed to have enough room to do the "Downward Scratch Only" that I did in the practice mode? Do you not need to move the board that much, or should I be standing up or something so my elbows have more range of motion?

I love the game, I just want to get better so I can try it on a harder difficulty. As it gets harder it gets more fun to play I imagine.

Owensboro said:

I'm a righty, I have the the mixer on the left, inside configuration. The downward scratches get a lot easier as you progress - it's just something you get the feel for. You really don't need to make a huge movement, just a slight downward scratch will work.

Sai-kun

Banned
I play with the fader on the left and turntable on the right, buttons on the outside. I don't understand how people play with it on the inside D:

Shiggy

So NeoGAF was right after all, great game, I even think it's better than Guitar Hero.

I first started with DJ Hero 1 and then went over to DJ Hero 2. The latter has some vastly improved UI!

But both games must've sold like shit, nobody's playing online (at least not with me).

Shiggy said:
So NeoGAF was right after all, great game, I even think it's better than Guitar Hero.

I first started with DJ Hero 1 and then went over to DJ Hero 2. The latter has some vastly improved UI!

But both games must've sold like shit, nobody's playing online (at least not with me).
Yeah I kind of stopped playing online, too many quitters. Glad you liked the game though, I'm looking forward to whatever FSG does next.

Top Bottom