• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V NG |OT| You forget a thousand things every day, make sure Chicago is one of 'em

Fjordson

I know this is a little off-topic, but RIP to Edgar Froese, founding member of Tangerine Dream =[ did some amazing work for GTA V and definitely a musical legend.

GTA 3 is one of my favorite games of all time, but you know as you grow and progress your tastes change. I was 15 or 16 when it first came out.

So yeah I enjoyed GTA 4 but the open world games that followed, mainly saints row made me feel like I didn't like open world games anymore. I disliked the DLC, hated watch dogs so my interest in 5 was nonexistent.

Well I picked this up on Tuesday and I am reminded y rockstar is the king. Saints Row and all these open world clones don't have the detail, the humor, the dialogue. Like early on being Franklin and you're towing cars for the crackhead chick. Saints Row always feels like how a suit and tie thinks My people speak. Rockstar blew that scene out the water with just the little nods. "I told you I quit Franklin, I may base every now and again but I'm done." She kept saying shit to this effect repeatedly.

I keep thinking how do they know?. Unfortunately I grew up in a less than surburban neighborhood and every dope fiend says they quit and they still using in the same sentence. How does a dev, not even based in the US able to do urban dialogue and devs right up the street can't.

Now I'm not shitting on the saints row games. They're just not for me (I will shit on WD, eff that game). I'm sure the story takes an odd turn or your stuck doing missions for someone u want to kill cause that's rockstar (I'm looking at you RDR & that piece of shit I had to work for in Mexico) but damn, you don't encounter this level of quality everyday.

Ugh I am reminded of why it's a waste of time and money to upgrade vehicles. Michaels car just got reset back to its default, all the cosmetic changes and upgrades I put into it are inexplicably gone. I thought they fixed this shit, but I guess not.

I know this is a little off-topic, but RIP to Edgar Froese, founding member of Tangerine Dream =[ did some amazing work for GTA V and definitely a musical legend.
Bummer. They did some great stuff.

ElRenoRaven

You know. I do have to say Rockstar knocked it out of the park again. Finally picked up the Xbone version the last weekend and haven't stopped playing it since. The voice acting, characters, etc are all damn good. I'm glad they don't rush these games out yearly like other developers do their franchises. The love they put into them really shows.

Fjordson

I keep thinking how do they know?. Unfortunately I grew up in a less than surburban neighborhood and every dope fiend says they quit and they still using in the same sentence. How does a dev, not even based in the US able to do urban dialogue and devs right up the street can't.

Now I'm not shitting on the saints row games. They're just not for me (I will shit on WD, eff that game). I'm sure the story takes an odd turn or your stuck doing missions for someone u want to kill cause that's rockstar (I'm looking at you RDR & that piece of shit I had to work for in Mexico) but damn, you don't encounter this level of quality everyday.
Yeah, one of the many things that make Rockstar's games so good. Whether it's a particular setting or a time period or a type of character and their dialogue, R* makes them feel right and feel accurate. Very rare that that stuff feels forced or phony in their games.

Fjordson

Hey brehs, how exactly does the special content for veteran players work? Like the railgun and stuff. I'm guessing I'll be able to link the PS4 version to my social club account when I boot it up? Since the account has all my 360 progress logged (beat the story, like 80% completion overall).

my perfect Military Hardware ambush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6oxq7CO21E

-no HUD/Minimap (no checking location of military convoy -- I memorized the route and time)

-and perfectly timed 'hit' where, as I begin driving, the military convoy begins to pass, I trigger the explosions and just as the jeeps explode, my ramming vehicle hits the driver door of the barracks truck and I head shot the driver with a basic non-automatic pistol)

-other small ideas like panning the camera to make it look more cinematic
-when I plant the bombs I make sure no cars drive-by

-and, just as I drive off, the sun rises in the desert

took me close to 80 tries to get everything perfect... i did it on ps3 as well and i've probably done this 'ambush' over 150 times now. it's my favorite 'hit' in the game.

Hey brehs, how exactly does the special content for veteran players work? Like the railgun and stuff. I'm guessing I'll be able to link the PS4 version to my social club account when I boot it up? Since the account has all my 360 progress logged (beat the story, like 80% completion overall).
Pretty sure you can link them now, online, in the social club. The railgun just appears at Ammunation at a certain point in the story. A lot of the other stuff is scattered around the world pretty haphazardly or is an unlock for a ton of side story/collection nonsense (like the for the Kraken sub where you have to photograph a bajillion animals as Franklin).

Fjordson

Pretty sure you can link them now, online, in the social club. The railgun just appears at Ammunation at a certain point in the story. A lot of the other stuff is scattered around the world pretty haphazardly or is an unlock for a ton of side story/collection nonsense (like the for the Kraken sub where you have to photograph a bajillion animals as Franklin).
Oh okay. So if I see the Railgun in AmmuNation out of stock that means I got the returning players stuff? I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be unlocked from the jump, even though I got a "Welcome back to Los Santos" notification after beating the first Franklin mission.

Also, all these new control options are pretty amazing. With the deadzone and acceleration stuff. Last time I played the PS4 version was back in November before all this was added. Good stuff from R*.

my perfect Military Hardware ambush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6oxq7CO21E

-no HUD/Minimap (no checking location of military convoy -- I memorized the route and time)

-and perfectly timed 'hit' where, as I begin driving, the military convoy begins to pass, I trigger the explosions and just as the jeeps explode, my ramming vehicle hits the driver door of the barracks truck and I head shot the driver with a basic non-automatic pistol)

-other small ideas like panning the camera to make it look more cinematic
-when I plant the bombs I make sure no cars drive-by

-and, just as I drive off, the sun rises in the desert

took me close to 80 tries to get everything perfect... i did it on ps3 as well and i've probably done this 'ambush' over 150 times now. it's my favorite 'hit' in the game.
Holy shit, this is impressive dedication. Looks awesome man.

Oh okay. So if I see the Railgun in AmmuNation out of stock that means I got the returning players stuff? I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be unlocked from the jump, even though I got a "Welcome back to Los Santos" notification after beating the first Franklin mission.

Also, all these new control options are pretty amazing. With the deadzone and acceleration stuff. Last time I played the PS4 version was back in November before all this was added. Good stuff from R*.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it'll eventually unlock. That message means it shows you as having the old version so you should be good.

Fjordson

Yeah I'm pretty sure it'll eventually unlock. That message means it shows you as having the old version so you should be good.
Ah okay. Wish they were just unlocked from the start since it's theoretically for people who have already played the game, but I'll take it.

What are the bike controls again? I am trying to beat Mary Ann as Franklin and she gets way far ahead. I am mashing X and holding forward, and I have max stamina.

Edit: ah you're supposed to hold X not mash it, I got it

RedAssedApe

Banned
man how do you guys have so much money lol...then again i bought 0 properties and lost basically all of the money i put into FRUIT stocks...

I thought heists were on the 27th?
No. No dates for heists have been given, outside of saying they will be available once the PC version hits. They could likely be released before that, but no date is set.
Someone help me. I have beaten this game before and I can't for the life of me figure this out. The FIB mission you need some masks and a car. I got the masks and I have a car, problem is the area to mark it never shows up on my phone. I have googled a ton of areas that supposedly worked and parked there and nothing works. What is the issue here?
If it's the mission I am thinking of, you need to get in an appropriate vehicle to use as a getaway. Once you found it, go to a secluded location. I think you then have to call someone, perhaps one of the two people you aren't playing as, or even Lester, and there is an option I believe to mark the getaway location/spot/car or whatever.

Picked this up and it's currently installing. can't wait to jump back in.

Hopefully my online progress from PS3 transfers over properly as I've heard some people have had issues.

Fjordson

First person combat is pretty great, but something weird is happening when I'm sprinting in FP mode. It's like the character I'm controlling will start to constantly try and turn to the side. So I have to keep adjusting the stick just to run straight instead of just holding the stick straight up. If that makes sense.

Not sure if I have to fiddle with the settings or if my controller is messed up. Though it doesn't happen in the normal third-person view.

First person combat is pretty great, but something weird is happening when I'm sprinting in FP mode. It's like the character I'm controlling will start to constantly try and turn to the side. So I have to keep adjusting the stick just to run straight instead of just holding the stick straight up. If that makes sense.

Not sure if I have to fiddle with the settings or if my controller is messed up. Though it doesn't happen in the normal third-person view.

Which stick, the right one? If so, try increasing your deadzone slightly, it sounds to me like you're getting 'stick drift'.

Fjordson

Which stick, the right one? If so, try increasing your deadzone slightly, it sounds to me like you're getting 'stick drift'.
Oops, you're right, the right stick. I'm holding the left stick up to run straight, but yeah, it's acting as if I'm pushing my right stick to the side to turn my character when I'm not.

But I'll look at the dead zone settings when I get home. Thanks.

Oops, you're right, the right stick. I'm holding the left stick up to run straight, but yeah, it's acting as if I'm pushing my right stick to the side to turn my character when I'm not.

But I'll look at the dead zone settings when I get home. Thanks.
When you sprint in FP mode, the left stick turns your character as well. You don't strafe. The same sort of applies with swimming underwater, holding x is all that is needed, the left stick does all the directional aiming.

FP mode in general has a few "quirks" about it that are different from third person. Another swimming example- in third person you can press a button to dive underwater. First person doesn't have this. It's definitely odd, and takes a little getting used to.

Bessy67

I can't seem to access the Bawsaq stock market. It just keeps saying "The market is down for maintenance". Is there any way to force it back up? I've already tried sleeping for a couple days.

So, I've noticed the controller speaker conversations also come through the TV.
Is that normal?
I swear it used to just be the controller on the PS4 version.

the only option in the menus is to turn it off or turn the volume up.

So, I've noticed the controller speaker conversations also come through the TV.
Is that normal?
I swear it used to just be the controller on the PS4 version.

the only option in the menus is to turn it off or turn the volume up.
I believe that is a PS4 setting that can be toggled. Hold the PS button, and then adjust devices, or something in the device options in the menus.

Fjordson

When you sprint in FP mode, the left stick turns your character as well. You don't strafe. The same sort of applies with swimming underwater, holding x is all that is needed, the left stick does all the directional aiming.
Ah, you're right. Once I start sprinting the left stick turns instead of strafes. Kinda weird, but at least I know why it was doing that now :lol

Wazzy

Banned
I started this about a week or so ago and I've been having a blast. This is the first GTA game I think I'll actually finish due to the missions and characters being so much more interesting.

I'm about to start the
Garbage Truck/body suits Heist
which I hope is fun. Also fuck the torture part. Uncomfortable and gross.

Tunavi

Banned
I hated the character sluggishness of the ps360 version

they fucking nailed the FPS mode, you move so much faster and have so much control over the character

hell yeah

I hated the character sluggishness of the ps360 version

they fucking nailed the FPS mode, you move so much faster and have so much control over the character

hell yeah
It's weird when you get into a safe house though. In FPS you walk at a crawl and pushing the left stick does nothing; in TPS you can push in the left stick to jog.

Symphonia

Banned
Just loaded the game up on PS4, and it appeared all data had been erased, single-player and online. It gave me the option to calibrate brightness, etc then gave me the usual T&Cs when going online. I shit myself for a while but, when it loaded, everything was all there. And my single-player save is intact. Has this happened to anyone else?

Just loaded the game up on PS4, and it appeared all data had been erased, single-player and online. It gave me the option to calibrate brightness, etc then gave me the usual T&Cs when going online. I shit myself for a while but, when it loaded, everything was all there. And my single-player save is intact. Has this happened to anyone else?
Known, recurring bug. Apparently it can be exacerbated to be an actual issue if you use Remote Play.

Fjordson

I'm really liking all the new content R* added. It's not a whole lot, but it's fun to stumble onto it. I just got the special "Duke O' Death" car and I love all the stock cars you win from the races. With the sponsor logos all over them :lol

I decided to buy the PS4 version two days ago even though I have completed it on the PS3. It honestly feels like an entirely different game, especially with the first person view, which just immerses you into the game even more.

The level of detail is absolutely astonishing and the higher resolution and upgraded textures actually makes every single thing readable. Funny transcripts, commercials and posters etc.

Two days passed and I have only done 4 story missions. This is going to be such a long ass ride once again, but at least I'll be doing it in 1080p and enjoying the view of San Andreas once more with 'Creedence Clearwater Revival' helping me out.

Yeah R2 barely registers in GTA now. :( it's happening to two friends as well.

It's definitely a controller issue. I called Sony and sent it in to get repaired/replaced.

I also bought a new one the same night, the white one and it works flawlessly.

-----

On another note. Is it common to get booted from the game when you connect or disconnect from the internet? Last night during the PSN outage it disconnected and reconnected a few times and each time it did, it would exit the game and reboot into a brand new story.

AmyS

I decided to buy the PS4 version two days ago even though I have completed it on the PS3. It honestly feels like an entirely different game, especially with the first person view, which just immerses you into the game even more.

The level of detail is absolutely astonishing and the higher resolution and upgraded textures actually makes every single thing readable. Funny transcripts, commercials and posters etc.

Two days passed and I have only done 4 story missions. This is going to be such a long ass ride once again, but at least I'll be doing it in 1080p and enjoying the view of San Andreas once more with 'Creedence Clearwater Revival' helping me out.

It's great isn't it?

Bought the PS3 version last November a few weeks before buying the PS4 version (you're welcome Take Two and Rockstar) . I don't have a gaming PC but maybe I'll be able to get a reasonable desktop rig much later in the year with Windows 10 and one of the upcoming new graphics cards.

Knowing that the PC version supports 4K resolution, 60 FPS, triple screen support and Nvidia 3D Vision...I mean gawd. For those that can afford such a setup I'd imagine the PC version could feel like, yet again, an entirely different game.

all you triple and quad SLI/CrossFire X owners, you are so damn lucky!

Moozo

PS4 people, is it worth attempting 100%/platinum? I've already had a couple of glitched trophies and read that the 100% one might be bugged too. Has anyone who's tried it had issues?

JJDubz

It's great isn't it?

Bought the PS3 version last November a few weeks before buying the PS4 version (you're welcome Take Two and Rockstar) . I don't have a gaming PC but maybe I'll be able to get a reasonable desktop rig much later in the year with Windows 10 and one of the upcoming new graphics cards.

Knowing that the PC version supports 4K resolution, 60 FPS, triple screen support and Nvidia 3D Vision...I mean gawd. For those that can afford such a setup I'd imagine the PC version could feel like, yet again, an entirely different game.

all you triple and quad SLI/CrossFire X owners, you are so damn lucky!

When it was postponed beyond the next gen releases I figured they were putting rift support in for the first person mode. Would be one hell of a good reason for the postponement and I'm still keeping to my hope of that being the reason for the delay.

Elitist1945

Finally finished the game (as in, completed the main story). Took me 1 1/2 years, across 3 different platforms, but I did it. Chose
Option 3

Tigress

Finally finished the game (as in, completed the main story). Took me 1 1/2 years, across 3 different platforms, but I did it. Chose
Option 3

Same here! I just finished it yesterday and I started it the day after the game came out. I also chose option 3. I'm going to go back and try the other two but I wanted the option I wanted to choose first.

Damn fucking long credits though.

Matush

PS4 people, is it worth attempting 100%/platinum? I've already had a couple of glitched trophies and read that the 100% one might be bugged too. Has anyone who's tried it had issues?
It's very glitchy and it's advised to play offline, couple of my trophies didn't unlock until I started the game offline.

Fjordson

Still playing this on PS4. Been putting off story missions for a few days now doing side stuff and gaming the stock market a bit for cash (I know you're supposed to wait until the end of the game to do all that, but whatever).

Bought a blue Zentorno for Michael. Thing looks awesome and is incredibly quick. Never used this before in my 70+ hours on 360 though, is it new for the current gen versions?

Oooh lmao damn that was rough.

I love driving like that as Franklin. Going between total control using the slow mo ability and then constantly on the brink of losing control going like 120 in normal speed.

Top Bottom