• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

You won't even play Vergil's Downfall?
That's not even out yet. I will be there day 0.
How does a 'noob' such as myself become good at this game?
Key to getting SSS ranks is easy. First thing you have to do is just get all the Lost Souls, Keys and Doors. After that you don't have to worry about completing missions on time, just use Air Glide low to the ground to cover distance fast and link it with Angel dodge. After that it's just a matter of minimizing getting hit and maintaining style ranks. Don't get hit, dodge often and use demon dodge first then link it with angel dodge.

It boils down to figuring out the best strategy for beating particular enemy types. It's like a puzzle and once you have figured out the puzzle the game becomes much easier. You also need to be familiar with your weapons and which one is good for what type of enemies. Even the firearms.

I think I know what I am going to do now. I am going to make enemy tactics video. Anyone got any ideas for capturing videos?

Gbraga

Key to getting SSS ranks is easy. First thing you have to do is just get all the Lost Souls, Keys and Doors. After that you don't have to worry about completing missions on time, just use Air Glide low to the ground to cover distance fast and link it with Angel dodge. After that it's just a matter of minimizing getting hit and maintaining style ranks. Don't get hit, dodge often and use demon dodge first then link it with angel dodge.

It boils down to figuring out the best strategy for beating particular enemy types. It's like a puzzle and once you have figured out the puzzle the game becomes much easier. You also need to be familiar with your weapons and which one is good for what type of enemies. Even the firearms.

I think I know what I am going to do now. I am going to make enemy tactics video. Anyone got any ideas for capturing videos?

Try Dxtory, then you can tell me if it's good! You can also try to update your Fraps, some older versions won't let you make videos bigger than 4GB, maybe that's what's limiting you?

Dahbomb

I just tried Dxtory and it tanks my framerate faster than Fraps does. I was getting 17FPS at times. Can't do combos at that framerate, can't do shit at that framerate.

teokrazia

Oh, I though I could go with 4xMSAA+4xSGSSAA, but my sweet point between IQ and performances is with both at 2x.

For the rest, I'm really enjoying the game so far.
Considering that the last thing of Ninja Theory I've tried was that collage of rubbish known as Enslaved (demo), I have to congrat myself with this team.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I just tried Dxtory and it tanks my framerate faster than Fraps does. I was getting 17FPS at times. Can't do combos at that framerate, can't do shit at that framerate.
Try OBS maybe? It's for streaming but there is an option to record to HDD and it's pretty damn lightweight.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
SSS every mission up to 9 on DmD so far. Game is so easy, barely any challenge outside the tedium of witches and colour-coded enemies. Nothing like the assfucking I got in DMC3 normal before everything about that game "clicked" after Cerberus.
Game just isn't balanced for higher difficulties. Demon Dodge + Overdrive/Stomp/Trinity Smash still destroy just about everything in your way, bosses included. By the time you hit DMD, Demon Dodge has basically become a reflex.

How the hell do you do around the world Streak?

I have uploaded all the backstory graffiti images. This is the best I could do (some potential NSFW images here):

Big thanks, Dahbomb.

jett

D-Member
I don't know what I can do in the game anymore.

Have beaten DMD mode (with all S or higher ranks, no plan on going for SSS it's more tedious than skillful), 100% completion in all missions, all secret missions beaten, all skills unlocked and health/DT bar all at maximum. I tried playing Heaven of Hell and I turned it off after beating the first mission. They give you 3 golden orbs so you can basically survive 3 hits every enemy encounter so it dilutes the challenge (so technically it's not even one hit kill mode it's 3 hit kill mode). Use up these golden orbs don't count against your item used per level penalty. This coupled with Super Dante means that even Hell or Hell is still a joke.

I think I am done with the game.

I feel the same. I have to be honest, the combat has much less mileage than I originally though.

Dahbomb

Enemies are balanced for higher difficulties, bosses are not. I am 95% sure DMD bosses have the same health as SoS bosses, they definitely have the same AI. I know because the
Mundus Spawn fight actually has 3 phases but you can damage Lilith
in 2 phases enough that you can deplete her life before reaching the 3rd phase of the fight (which is the hardest one). I was able to do this on both SoS and DMD mode but just barely on both. The difference is that you take more damage. Enemies on the other hand generally come in tougher waves, have more health and of course do more damage along with attacking and blocking more. The vast majority of your deaths are going to come from enemy encounters where you came into the fight with low health. That's what happened to me because I usually get to a fight with low health because I usually die on the platforming segments a lot (because you can't control camera while moving around if you have all your keys mapped to keyboard).

Also the nerf on demon dodge and all forms of dodge is noticeable. I got one shotted by
Mundus' double fist attack
on DMD mode because I didn't time the dodge well enough.

And I am now firmly in the camp of Snake Eyes owning Dreamrunners. Before this I didn't see the benefit of Parrying his attacks much because he usually recovered fast and Demon Dodge into Whip was generally more efficient. Snake Eyes can guard break him if you charge it enough and that leads into more combo opportunities. You can even use the j./\ for air combos against him so you can position him where you want and then dodge his counter attack. This works extremely well for double Dreamrunners as well. The Flush into double Parry is not a reliable strategy against Dreamrunner on DMD mode... it's just combo/swag video stuff at this point. I still use Rebellion + Kablooey for Dreamrunner combos and throw in a Showdown in there.

Gbraga

How the hell do you do around the world Streak?[/url]

Auto-lock does it, you just do Streak to go under the character. Prop, lvl 0 Ricoshot Cancel, Streak was the setup I used. It's the same as cross under Trillion Stabs, but Streak and Snake Eye go around the world, around the world *-*

It's cool if you can do Snake Eye aiming away from the enemy, so when you release it he'll go around the world and then hit the enemy from behind, it's pretty sick.

Dahbomb

There's a better image of Sparda in the game where he is held down by 2 Dreks.
Auto-lock does it, you just do Streak to go under the character. Prop, lvl 0 Ricoshot Cancel, Streak was the setup I used. It's the same as cross under Trillion Stabs, but Streak and Snake Eye go around the world, around the world *-*

It's cool if you can do Snake Eye aiming away from the enemy, so when you release it he'll go around the world and then hit the enemy from behind, it's pretty sick.
I can do it with Trillion Stab and Snake Eyes but not Streak. When I do it Streak he ends up going way past the enemy and doesn't auto correct back.

Gbraga

I can do it with Trillion Stab and Snake Eyes but not Streak. When I do it Streak he ends up going way past the enemy and doesn't auto correct back.

Try the setup I mentioned, it never fails, you probably have the enemy too high in the air for Streak to auto correct.

Anteater

I took a break after getting tired of pressing select too much to skip cutscenes and watching the zooming into dante's iris scene like 50 times.

Some missions are ok and I replayed those ones I liked a few times, but the rest are quite a chore.

I always skip the factory mission, I just don't feel like walking down the stupid corridor, do a bunch of platforming to fight 2 color coded rats and the shitty poison floor area just so you could fight a terrible boss with unskippable cutscenes every 5 hits.

That bloody palace thing needs to come out already.

Dahbomb

Man the difference between final boss on DMD in DMC3 compared to final boss in DmC...

Let's just say I beat the final boss in DMD with SSS rank without dying once and never got below 50% health the first time I fought him. In DMC3 I had lost count of my number of deaths to the final boss on DMD and took me months of practice to get SS rank on him (highest in DMC3, requires that you don't get touched).

I would've liked to see the pull disabled in the final boss fight for a more honest fight. It just didn't seem fair.

liezryou

I'm starting to feel a little guilty for not playing this game. I really like Ninja Theory, and now I'm listening to the Bombcast.....

Still, can't do it for full price. First Steam sale I'm all over it though.

You might want to head over to the buy/trade/sale thread. People are selling DMC steam keys/gifts for <25$ (Legit, no gray market as per site rules).

Veelk

Banned
How the hell do you do around the world Streak?

I have uploaded all the backstory graffiti images. This is the best I could do (some potential NSFW images here):

You, sir, are awesome. I appreciate the effort. If the concept art for other graffiti images throughout the game show up, do those as well if you can.

Edit:

I like how even in his toddler years, Vergil gave no shit.

Man the difference between final boss on DMD in DMC3 compared to final boss in DmC...

Let's just say I beat the final boss in DMD with SSS rank without dying once and never got below 50% health the first time I fought him. In DMC3 I had lost count of my number of deaths to the final boss on DMD and took me months of practice to get SS rank on him (highest in DMC3, requires that you don't get touched).

I would've liked to see the pull disabled in the final boss fight for a more honest fight. It just didn't seem fair.

I don't think we'll see a boss that regenerates 75% of his health from DT and then kills you with spiral swords ever again. Today's gamers would have their arteries burst from the blood pressure, there's just too much salt.

That said,
Vergil in this game never felt intimidating. I just couldn't take him seriously after he was shooting spiral swords out like Spiderman in that one cutscene

Veelk

Banned
That said,
Vergil in this game never felt intimidating. I just couldn't take him seriously after he was shooting spiral swords out like Spiderman in that one cutscene

I'm not sure what's wrong with that. I thought it was a cool way of emphasizing his shots.

What makes him intimidating is how he was helpless game. You always had to save his ass. It's even confirmed by both Dante and Vergil that, of the two of them, Dante is stronger. Then becomes an enemy and we're suppose to see him as a threat? lol

Dahbomb

End boss spoilers:

Vergil without his Spiral Swords formation isn't as big of a threat. Him without a real Devil Trigger is even less so. Having super armor, faster speed, damage and regenerating health on top of circling himself with swords so that he can't be harmed is what made him terrifying. DmC Vergil has nothing of the sorts, his Summoned Swords are a joke as a boss fight and his Devil Trigger is just there to give YOU Devil Trigger. Plus he doesn't even teleport up to you to do sword combos and mix you up by coming above you. This is also why Nelo Angelo 3 is such a step up in difficulty over the previous two, the complex Spiral Sword formations had you on the defensive and you really had to be aware of when he's about to do it so you can prevent him doing so. Even with my vast DMC1 experience I cannot reliably dodge all his sword formations in DMC1.

What really makes the fight super easy is the Demon pull. Any time Vergil jumps up to toss his Round Trip, does Rapid Slash or any one of his moves with recovery you can be anywhere and you can just easily snatch him during his recovery for a combo. I mean his recovery is already way higher than his DMC3 counter part and we never had Demon pull back then.

Carbonox

I just noticed in one of those graffiti shots which I never realised before...Sparda is wearing an Adidas hoody?...

iH94gDUnvMA0B.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm not sure what's wrong with that. I thought it was a cool way of emphasizing his shots.

What makes him intimidating is how he was helpless game. You always had to save his ass. It's even confirmed by both Dante and Vergil that, of the two of them, Dante is stronger. Then becomes an enemy and we're suppose to see him as a threat? lol

It's especially hilarious during the car scenes. If you do nothing, he just dies in his Vergilmobile. He's like a kitten stuck in a tree.

Endo Punk

When Dante kicked his arse Vergil should have said "But... I have a bigger dick...." That would of totally redeemed the fight and the game.

KevinCow

Banned
I wish this game wasn't called Devil May Cry so we could talk about how it's pretty easily the best western action game yet instead of complaining that it's not DMC3. Which is shocking coming from Ninja Theory, whose past couple games had like half a second of input lag, constant framerate drops, and screen tearing out the ass.

Whatever they do with the series from here, I hope they keep the launcher button and dodge button.

Endo Punk

I wish this game wasn't called Devil May Cry so we could talk about how it's pretty easily the best western action game yet instead of complaining that it's not DMC3. Which is shocking coming from Ninja Theory, whose past couple games had like half a second of input lag, constant framerate drops, and screen tearing out the ass.

Whatever they do with the series from here, I hope they keep the launcher button and dodge button.

Still prefer God of War for western action/adventure game and I'd say Darksiders 2 also has pretty damn good combat. DmC doesn't 'easily' win anything.

Carbonox

Totally forgot about the Vergil-mobile. Made me laugh every time I replayed that mission, especially the giant V inside. :lol

What a clusterfuck.

Can't believe it's only been a couple of weeks since release (and since I Platinum'd it). Feels like it was ages ago.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Serious question: Couldn't they have simply made Stinger and Streak and whatever equivalent <toward, toward input> simply forward+launcher on the controller? That still requires no lock-on, and it's not difficult for a beginner to wrap their head around.

Totally forgot about the Vergil-mobile. Made me laugh every time I replayed that mission, especially the giant V inside. :lol

What a clusterfuck.

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned it. It's so stupid.

Serious question: Couldn't they have simply made Stinger and Streak and whatever equivalent <toward, toward input> simply forward+launcher on the controller? That still requires no lock-on, and it's not difficult for a beginner to wrap their head around.

I think the reason they changed the controls in the first place was to get away from "your stick must be neutral to do this" which confuses people... I guess?

Mike M

Nick N
no

but fuck knows who the fuck that is. It is never explained.

Just another thing that NT put in because it was "cool" not because it made sense.

What? Of course the statue is Sparda (or at least a statue of Sparda). How could you think otherwise? It's not even ambiguous, the crazy hair and chains imagery are pretty prevalent in the graffiti when they talk about him.

http://s12.postimage.org/5i2xy3q0t/DMC_Devil_May_Cry_2013_02_07_11_26_00_12.png

http://s12.postimage.org/yxqzq2o3h/DMC_Devil_May_Cry_2013_02_07_11_26_06_42.png

Top Bottom