• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Gbraga

There's a video of a guy who got full stacks on Dreamrunner in one combo using enemy step and that enemy has the lowest combo time in the game.

I don't think you can get full stacks without using enemy step but you can get a couple of sticks in there and you can probably finish her in two combos this way.

If you JC one shot into another you can get all 6 stacks easily and the Dreamrunner does absolutely nothing, he ALWAYS waits for you to finish if you JC your shots.

Jintor

So is dealing with these super-armoured assholes with chainsaws/sawblades just a pain in the ass for everyone or am I a poor player? They're goddamn the basic level grunts on son of sparda and they're just no fun to fight at all

Dahbomb

So is dealing with these super-armoured assholes with chainsaws/sawblades just a pain in the ass for everyone or am I a poor player? They're goddamn the basic level grunts on son of sparda and they're just no fun to fight at all
You mean the guys that charge at you with the Chainsaw or the big guys that throw saw at you?

Chainsaw guys get owned by Overdrive from a distance and once they aren't armored you just pull them in, launch and do a long air combo on them and use Buy In to get other enemies in as well.

The Butcher you stand far from him and he will throw his saws. Parry it with Pop and get close to him do Eryx fully charged launcher. Do long air combo on him then when he falls do more charged Erxy attacks.

Overdrive is your best friend.

learn to use it and use it often

alternatively, launch them and do not let them touch the ground. Use a combo of roulette spin, Rebelion pause combos and Aqulia aerial Buy In.

Dont forget demon pull too.

or failing all that, just jump cancel fireworks or shot gun. Its really not hard and it has a huge window

Launch> Jump on enemy, shoot with shotgun > Jump> Shoot with shotgun> Jump

rinse and repeat till dead.

Jeez, deleted my save file by mistake on pc, motionjoy just went bananas and just deleted my file, smh, I had to be at least 70% done with the game.

Mike M

Nick N
Alright, just watched the entirety of the video. Man, I'm far from high level, but that was just downright *awful* playing.

What difficulty level was that? Those tyrants on levels 8 and 10 never got super armor.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

The chainsaw demons get stopped in their tracks by Round Trip, even when they have their "armor" on. Made those encounters a lot easier on SoS when I realized that.

Dahbomb

Man the stats collected in this game are insane.

Apparently I don't have any EXTREME AIR KILL STREAK even though I have 56 air kills. I guess I need to kill 3 or more enemies all in the air or something. I really think I have done this like numerous times.

Don't have an AWESOME DEVIL TRIGGER KILL STREAK either. I have pretty much all the rest of the various Style point bonuses though.

I have spent more time in SSS rank (about 1 hour) than SS, S rank and A rank.

Attacks performed without repetition: 31, 295
Attacks performed with minor repetition: 14, 364
Attacks performed with major repetition: 4, 781

As far as my damage dealt per weapon... it goes Arbiter > Rebellion > Eryx > Osiris > Aquila

Finished this last night, and enjoyed it for the most part. I probably prefer Enslaved overall, despite its many, many issues, but DmC was an admirable reboot in many ways, just falling short of greatness; certainly, it's Ninja Theory's most accomplished game in terms of bringing all the various elements together to make a cohesive whole. Still, it wasn't without its problems, and my main bone of contention was that the combat was mostly served up as a series of slightly unsatisfying vignettes; there's a rhythm and flow to the combat, and once you're in the swing of things, slicing and dicing, it's a wonderful feeling, but it always ends far too quickly, and then you're onto the platforms bits, which are essentially the parts of the game that get in the way of the main course. I would have much preferred it if the monster waves were more punishing, more frequent, and, more importantly, lasted longer.

The story was ok, it didn't really live up to the potential of taking a number of relevant social issues and weaving a supernatural demons vs. angels story around them. Clearly, at times the writing tried way too hard, but consequently, Dante came off as rather witless, with none of his barbs ever really hitting the mark. A better script would have given Dante a sharper tongue, rather than resorting to his various "fuck yous". And he clearly should have ripped the piss out of Virgil's ridiculous fedora. A more sardonic, drier Dante would have worked much better.

Loved the visuals, the design and even though the boss fights weren't anything special mechanically, they were fun, due in part to the inventive visual flair. I hope Ninja Theory get another stab at the series, as this was a solid effort, and there's plenty they could get iterate to create something really special next time around.

Anteater

I spent the most time at rank B... feels bad man

0 extreme air kill streak, no triple parry :(
0 multishot and 50hit devil trigger aerial comb, no amazing devil trigger kill streak

attacks performed without repetition is surprisingly higher than minor and major, consider I like mashing dat axe

I love these stats stuff

Some of the enemies under misc concept art are cool as hell, they didn't use a lot of these

Anteater

I usually just stay in the air when the chainsaw dudes are around, when they're underneath me I just use Rake to pull them up. They're pretty harmless most of the time since they can't hit you in the air and they're always underneath you, lol.

Hm, seems strange to have the stages just advance automatically now, if indeed that is how it works (rather than just jumping into a portal when ready).

It seems it works still the same way to some extend. But now the loading happens before you step into the portal. Unlike DMC4 where the loading happen when you hit the portal.

Korigama

DarҖaoZ;47327969 said:
It seems it works still the same way to some extend. But now the loading happens before you step into the portal. Unlike DMC4 where the loading happen when you hit the portal.
Yeah, I see it now, my mistake. It advances to the next numbered stage on its own, but the counter stops and doesn't begin again until stepping into a portal that warps in the new enemies for that stage.

V_Arnold

Ninja Theory made two (god awful) games and wasted other companies money on bad new IP - which is fine, whatever. Ultimately that hurts no one but those companies (and people with good taste who happen upon these bad games). The point where they started destroying established franchises is when they became mustache twirling villains.

You are delusional. Enslaved is a good game. It is not a good action game, but luckily, that is not its goal. DmC is a great action game, no matter what standards you use*

*Except for the "if it is at the level of DMC3/DMC4 combat, it is good, otherwise it is horseshit standard.

Anteater

I just noticed I could map my gun switching to down on dpad..

Wish I could map whip separate from the guns so I could charge my gun while I whip.

Guess I'll map rainstorm on my unused button.

Dahbomb

I did some theory crafting on the stats and based on the stats you can easily figure out the following (well not easily the process is still a bit tedious):

All Enemy and Boss Hit Points
Exact Damage value of moves
Exact Style points of moves (although you can figure this out just by looking at the style meter)
Style to Damage ratio on moves/weapons (if there is some difference, I am thinking in this game style/damage ratio is proportional)
HP/Damage difference in between difficulties
Damage boost % provided by DT
Damage boost % provided by Demon Dodge
Difference in damage, hits and style gained from "perfect" versions of moves

A lot of these values would be very handy in coming up with combos. If I were still as active as I was in the DMC1/DMC3 days I would try to figure out these values myself and put them up for the community. I hope someone dedicated enough to the game can figure out these stats and put them up somewhere.

You are delusional. Enslaved is a good game. It is not a good action game, but luckily, that is not its goal. DmC is a great action game, no matter what standards you use*

*Except for the "if it is at the level of DMC3/DMC4 combat, it is good, otherwise it is horseshit standard.

Enslaved is an awful, brain dead game. Everything it tries to do it fails miserably. It doesn't try much either, which makes it even more amazing. I guess I kind of liked it more than Heavenly Sword because Enslaved at least had the decency to know that it sucked, Heavenly Sword shot for the sky and ended up landing in the bottom of the ocean.

V_Arnold

Enslaved is an awful, brain dead game. Everything it tries to do it fails miserably. It doesn't try much either, which makes it even more amazing. I guess I kind of liked it more than Heavenly Sword because Enslaved at least had the decency to know that it sucked, Heavenly Sword shot for the sky and ended up landing in the bottom of the ocean.

Enslaved is a journey, not really a game. It has great atmosphere, some nice dialogues, a messed up (in a good AND a bad way) ending, and some amazing variety in the levels. I can easily see parts of it as something inspiring several DmC zones.

The combat is bad, yep. Luckily, the game is not really about that :D

iavi

I've arrived. Good lord.

My new gaming rig is finished; 3570k/OC'd 7950

Forcing all the extra bells and whistles while maintaining a ridiculously smooth 60fps. I wasn't even using the HD texture packs before. The character models are so much more detailed wtf.

This game.

Dahbomb

The worst secret mission in the game is that collect 20 checkpoint bull shit. I actually rage quit at that. It especially sucks on keyboard because it's impossible to control the camera while playing and in platforming sections it leads to cheap deaths. Tomorrow I am going to map all the platforming buttons to my mouse buttons so I can clear that secret mission and get all my secret missions completed.

Thank god for secret missions being replayable from the menu, I don't want to go through an entire mission just to get to that area. One of the best things DmC has added to the franchise.

Deitus

The worst secret mission in the game is that collect 20 checkpoint bull shit. I actually rage quit at that. It especially sucks on keyboard because it's impossible to control the camera while playing and in platforming sections it leads to cheap deaths. Tomorrow I am going to map all the platforming buttons to my mouse buttons so I can clear that secret mission and get all my secret missions completed.

Thank god for secret missions being replayable from the menu, I don't want to go through an entire mission just to get to that area. One of the best things DmC has added to the franchise.

Why are you playing this on keyboard... still?

Dahbomb

Why are you playing this on keyboard... still?
Because I can. And I have let my friend borrow my controller since he let me play the game early on his console.

The game is very playable on keyboard in terms of the combat. The camera is actually really good for combat but you need to move it around during platforming and exploration which ends up being a pain sometimes.

I mean I have beaten the game on DMD mode and didn't get one rank below S. I didn't die once on any boss before the Mundus one. So the controls are fine. Its not like Dark Souls on KB/M now that is awful.

Deitus

Because I can. And I have let my friend borrow my controller since he let me play the game early on his console.

The game is very playable on keyboard in terms of the combat. The camera is actually really good for combat but you need to move it around during platforming and exploration which ends up being a pain sometimes.

Fair enough. To me the idea of playing a DMC game on a keyboard sounds.... wrong. But to each their own.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to chime in that I'm really enjoying this game and to thank you all for the helpful posts in here. Not a big 3D action game buff at all (the only major ones I've played were DMC1 and NG/Sigma) but I'm currently working my way through the missions on SoS.

Doesn't hurt that the PC version looks fantastic and runs amazingly. NT really pulled out the stops with their environment design on this one and I'm glad that the game was ported so we can enjoy the eyecandy properly. :p

jett

D-Member

That mission is probably one of the most fun for me, lulz. I have no issues on a controller. I still can't believe you're playing with a keyboard.

Lijik

Oh and doing the double tap moves sucks on KB but thankfully you don't use those moves that often.

I havent had much a problem pulling off the doubletap moves, though sometimes I do find myself relying on using the jump as a dodge more often than I'd like because my fingers arent in a position to hit the dodge key quick enough at times

Fair enough. To me the idea of playing a DMC game on a keyboard sounds.... wrong. But to each their own.
The mouse/keyboard controls in this game are smooth as butter, its not at all like the shitty experience that one would have playing the pc versions DMC3/4 with just the keyboard. I played a bit of Spiderman Shatter Dimensions the other day, and the mouse/keyboard controls in that game felt bad enough that I had to stop and plug in a controller. Never felt that way in DmC even with the dodge issue. I didnt even mind them during the platforming stuff personally.

Facism

I'm surprised at how decent the music is in the game. I usually hate dubshyte, it's the Jeremy Kyle, jobless, benefit-scrounging, special-brew drinking, coke-sniffing, run-out-on-his-kids chav of music.

It's nice and subtle in the game. Still not a fan of the combichrist stuff. It's just pop-metal crap.
Meshuggah-driven soundtrack LIVING TEH DREAM :<

My favourite secret missions are the "BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF EVERYTHING QUICKTIME BLAD" ones. Basically mini-BPs :D

n0n44m

try

0x080000C1

I'm running 4x SGSSAA , took fps down from 400 to 120 on my 670 SLI ... which is perfect with the 120 Hz monitor :)

trying some SweetFX now

mr stroke

Just finished the game and really blown away. I haven't cared for any of the DMC games but this was fantastic. Solid graphics, cheese story, and amazing combat. Only complaint would be the lame final boss, otherwise this was a solid 9/10.

Great game, I hope Ninja Theory gets a chance at DMC 2.

Dahbomb

I am 90% sure that a Witch plus 6 Harpies is the worst configuration in the game. Mostly because these enemies are capable of attacking you from off screen.

If they put out some cheap ass configurations for BP with DMD scaling then BP isn't going to be that easy at all.

Calmine

Just finished too, fucking awesome game. Really enjoyed it. Had some of the best art design of today's games. I do hope Ninja Theory can make the next one.

Also they're based in Cambridge UK which is like less than an our hour drive from where I live.

Top Bottom