• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Nothing could be worse than This so I'm completely ok with this game's story was long as the gameplay is good enough.

You know I never played the originals that much, except DMC3. I've played the DmC demo a far bit and am excited for the full version on tuesday. That said, that scene isn't serious. That scene was in the original? Damn, games have come a long way.

Beth Cyra

I think that's one of the reasons for the reboot though. Dante's only viable challenges are Vergil and Mundus and both are dead/sealed away in the original continuity.

Itsuno probably had no idea what to do with him.

I can see this, but at the same time if we are really going to use that as the arguement then the majority of stories are just as pointless because no matter what the odds the player is going to win.

It could have worked if they had taken the idea of Jobs, and doing them. Just because Dante is immortal doesn't mean those he would help are or that you as the player would be fast enough to get them done.

Loved DMC4 dante. He really did feel like a grown up version of DMC3 dante. when he's first introduced he seems all serious and junk, but then you play as him, and realise he's as over the top as ever.

that Shakespeare scene always gets me.

and for all the shit DMC4 gets, it had the best combat in the series imo. just wish bloody palace didn't have that time limit, blitz still fuck me up if im not prepared.

Word. Especially if I fuck up the timing on the Fullhouse RG block loop to remove his shield. That's how I know the fight is gonna go south. DMC4 is underrated. I wish they did a DMC4se/greatest hits. Give Nero some more moves and devil arms and bring Vergil back somehow lol. Can you imagine Vergil in DMC4's engine? Holy shit.

DMC4 Dante was perfectDonte is really artistically weak in comparison to where he needed a smoking habit just have an interesting design. :/
Is this your honest analysis of the design process?

The old Dante had the generic Japanese cocky anti-hero personality (when he didn't have the generic Japanese brooding anti-hero personality) , the generic shaggy white hair, the generic huge sword, and the generic trench coat. I would probably guess him if shown his silhouette, but I could be easily fooled into making that guess by the silhouettes of hundreds of other video game characters.

Whatever new Dante is or isn't (and it's "Dante", "Donte" is as lame as "M$"), he sure as hell isn't a step backward in concept design.

Dahbomb

Having a big sword, shaggy hair and a trenchcoat makes you generic?

I thought generic was the balding 30 year old male guy that is featured in so many current gen games.

And where are these hundreds of video game characters that look like Dante?

G-Fex

DMC2 being bored with everything makes a lot of sense.

That's why he doesn't put effort in swinging his sword or shooting his guns as quickly as he used to. He's not scared of some doofus in a fur coat with infected tanks and helicopters. He's casually taking his time in going through it.

I thought generic was the balding 30 year old male guy that is featured in so many current gen games.
I think you're playing a game of telephone with the meme you're repeating. It's "bald" as in shaved head. Not balding. Many games, being shooters, have a military theme and thus the shaved head. I'm in favor of more balding heroes though.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
DMC4 Dante is best Dante. Something about the way in which he just constantly outclasses everyone in the room and knows it is perfect for his character... and then he shows up to attack a cult that claims to worship his dad cause they are all going demon style and he's just like "sup?" the entire time... fuckin ace.

Nothing better than him at the end with Nero "Time to wake up kid! You're missin out on all the fun!"

Straight baller. Someone wanna fill me in on
how Donte ends up with white hair in that terrible spoiled ending?

Dahbomb

I think you're playing a game of telephone with the meme you're repeating. It's "bald" as in shaved head. Not balding. I'm in favor of more balding heroes though.
Nah I was talking about the characters with some hair enough to tell their hair color.

In favor of more bald characters? Oh boy....

Akainu

DMC4 Dante is best Dante. Something about the way in which he just constantly outclasses everyone in the room and knows it is perfect for his character... and then he shows up to attack a cult that claims to worship his dad cause they are all going demon style and he's just like "sup?" the entire time... fuckin ace.

Nothing better than him at the end with Nero "Time to wake up kid! You're missin out on all the fun!"

It was always going to be a matter of him unlocking his full power I don't think that is any surprise. If it isn't I'll be shocked.

And people need to cut out this Donte stuff.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Am I the only one who would be okay with a fresh villain? DMC4 Dante getting taken down a peg? I don't need things to fall into the Dragon Ball Z pattern of A NEW WARRIOR IS INTENT ON DESTROYING EARTH ONLY GOKU [DANTE] CAN STOP HIM, but I would be fine with the introduction of some new antagonists.

or just give me a Sparda game

It's hard to make a new villain that fits the lore of the game. You can't make a demon more powerful than Mundus just by virtue of who Mundus is. Capcom probably regretted Vergil being dead hence DmC.

I can see this, but at the same time if we are really going to use that as the arguement then the majority of stories are just as pointless because no matter what the odds the player is going to win.

It could have worked if they had taken the idea of Jobs, and doing them. Just because Dante is immortal doesn't mean those he would help are or that you as the player would be fast enough to get them done.

Open world DMC was definitely the way to go. Or the aforementioned Sparda game which I've always wanted. From a character standpoint, Sparda would be an interesting guy to follow.

Beth Cyra

Someone earlier said that was actually an Alt costume, though him having that in his normal outfit might happen as well.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Being a 25 year old Caucasian male with short brown hair is about as generic as you can get.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Is this your honest analysis of the design process?

The old Dante had the generic Japanese cocky anti-hero personality (when he didn't have the generic Japanese brooding anti-hero personality) , the generic shaggy white hair, the generic huge sword, and the generic trench coat. I would probably guess him if shown his silhouette, but I could be easily fooled into making that guess by the silhouettes of hundreds of other video game characters.
inaccurately describing a character and then prefixing everything with generic? ok

Beth Cyra

See you're getting it mixed up again. I said I was in favor of "balding" heroes.

Still waiting for you to point out characters like Dante. If they are so generic then we should have alot, but I can't think very many that could be described in the same way as Dante.

zoukka

Dante's original design was good. He's like the modern and more arrogant version of Vampire Hunter D. There was little bullshit in the first game (besides THE scene of course) and whole atmosphere was dark, scary and gothic. This was reflected on Dante.

It's funny that the DMC4 Dante is closer to the first one than the teen-Dante of DMC3. I remember hating him in DMC3 and so did all of my friends who were fans of the game. Then years rolled by and we learned to tolerate the shirtless little asshole.

Still waiting for you to point out characters like Dante. If they are so generic then we should have alot, but I can't think very many that could be described in the same way as Dante.
Waiting for me to do something i was never challenged to do? If you won't agree without proof that giant swords/white hair/trenchcoat aren't horses beaten into a fine red mist, have at it yourself.

I think the fact that the completely retarded criticism I was addressing hasn't been defended means my purpose here is done. Any number of valid criticisms can be levied at DmC, whether I agree with them or not. Acting as if there is also some regression in artistic integrity with this game (in regard to main character design) is just sour grapes. If you don't like it, fine, but it isn't shit on any scale that places original Dante on a pedestal.

Akainu

It's funny that the DMC4 Dante is closer to the first one than the teen-Dante of DMC3. I remember hating him in DMC3 and so did all of my friends who were fans of the game. Then years rolled by and we learned to tolerate the shirtless little asshole.
I know my memory isn't that fuzzy.

Beth Cyra

Waiting for me to do something i was never challenged to do? If you won't agree without proof that giant swords/white hair/trenchcoat aren't horses beaten into a fine red mist, have at it yourself.

I think the fact that the completely retarded criticism I was addressing hasn't been defended means my purpose here is done. Any number of valid criticisms can be levied at DmC, whether I agree with them or not. Acting as if there is also some regression in artistic integrity is just sour grapes.

Never challeneged to do.....

I just glad NT got away from Virginia slim smoking Dante. That was the first time I was legitimately enraged by a video game announcement.

Oh and I would love a sparda game if they can't come up with a enemy for Dante. Nero really needs to have a second game too. I know it's implied that he is Vergil's son but can't they flesh out his story. It's like dude just came out of nowhere.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
It was always going to be a matter of him unlocking his full power I don't think that is any surprise. If it isn't I'll be shocked.

And people need to cut out this Donte stuff.

Donte for the simple fact that I don't have to write a description every time i wanna say Dante with a specific game in mind.

But yes.. that would be my guess but then you have to think .. well in DT his hair is white.. so why isn't he DTing all the time... or maybe he is and it's just SSDonte. That's why i was hoping for some clarification. Alt costume sounds the most realistic to me.

And for all who have said it ... the Sparda game is what NEEDS to be made. Playing as Dad in DMC1 was fuuuuuuuuuuckin sick. Your demonic, horned and winged shadow on the ground while you adjust your monocle. Perfect.

[edit] Made by Platinum games... naturally.

Akainu

Go even younger. I want The Parent Trap starring Dante and Vergil.
Sure as long as they never meet. I like the idea of Vergil game after Mundus turns Vergil into his puppet warrior.

But yes.. that would be my guess but then you have to think .. well in DT his hair is white.. so why isn't he DTing all the time... or maybe he is and it's just SSDonte. That's why i was hoping for some clarification. Alt costume sounds the most realistic to me.
I think of it like a manga Trigun thing. If you never read it.
Vash's hair turns black the more he uses his power.
Just the opposite in this. It turns white when using the dt but the more he uses it the more permanent it becomes. It'd be cool if it turns white more and more as you play the game though.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Sure as long as they never meet. I like the idea of Vergil game after Mundus turns Vergil into his puppet warrior.

I have always wanted even a BP option to play as Dark Knight Vergil. One of the best enemy designs in the last/this generation hands down. Also.. i wish Trish didn't have a freakin monopoly on the Sparda sword and in fact... if NT wanted to have a sword that could change shape and function they should have worked THAT into their game. Would have been great fanservice and made sense instead of just looking like a Nariko hand me down.

nbthedude

CAUTION:]
]

You could akin it to Fisher Price: My First Stylish Action Game

]

But isnt. Unless games like God of War, Anarchy Reins, Lollipop Chainsaw, Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, X-men Origins: Wolverine Never Dead, Madworld, No More Heroes, Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, Sword of the Berserk, and dozens of others are also "fisher price game." If they are, then I guess I am a considered a "fischer price" gamer now.

The hyperbolic outrage about this game is absurd. Maybe it is a step back in terms of depth from previous entries for the sake of going in a new direction and reaching out to a new audience. But this doesn't make it a fucking Farmville clone.

So it may not reach the pinnacle of the top tier of the genre in terms of combo mechanics. That still doesn't make it trash. Most of the people bitching have probaby played and enjoyed numerous games that have less depth than this game, games like those listed above.

I don't know when this youtube combo videos cult overtook all discussion of this entire series but it has gotten pretty old. I have enjoyed this series. I really enjoyed the 1st and 4th games in particular. Moreover, I like this genre of game in general and not every game in the genre should have to be something combo obssessed youtubers can jerk off to in order to be considered good.

Is Arkham Asylum suddenly shit for soccer moms now because it doesn't have frame cancels into reversal-whatever-the-fucks? Is No More Heroes?

Risette

A Good Citizen
But isnt. Unless games like God of War, Anarchy Reins, Lollipop Chainsaw, Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, X-men Origins: Wolverine Never Dead, Madworld, No More Heroes, Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, Sword of the Berserk, and dozens of others are also "fisher price game."
I hate to break it to you, but...

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So it may not reach the pinnacle of the top tier of the genre in terms of combo mechanics. That still doesn't make it trash. Most of the people bitching have probaby played and enjoyed numerous games that have less depth than this game, games like the listed above.

But it was one of the only lasting series out there that catered specifically to those who DID want that extremely high skill focused end game. I think that's where a lot of the disconnect between people who aren't hyped and those who are is... it's not that any game that doesn't push you to the 1% of player skill is instant garbage and not worth the time it's just that DMC was one of the last games (definitely the only long standing series) that focused on that aspect of the gameplay specifically.

What the fack am i gonna put into my PS3 to show up all my casual friends now? ... DMC4. that's what.

Beth Cyra

But isnt. Unless games like God of War, Anarchy Reins, Lollipop Chainsaw, Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, X-men Origins: Wolverine Never Dead, Madworld, No More Heroes, Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, Sword of the Berserk, and dozens of others are also "fisher price game."

The hyperbolic outrage about this game is absurd. Maybe it is a step back in terms of depth from previous entries for the sake of going in a new direction and reaching out to a new audience. But this doesn't make it a fucking Farmville clone.

So it may not reach the pinnacle of the top tier of the genre in terms of combo mechanics. That still doesn't make it trash. Most of the people bitching have probaby played and enjoyed numerous games that have less depth than this game, games like the listed above.

I don't know when this youtube combo videos cult overtook all discussion of this series but it has gotten pretty old. I have enjoyed this series. I really enjoyed the 1st and 4th games in particular. Moreover, I like this genre of game and not every game in the genre should have to be something combo obssessed youtubers can jerk off to in order to be considered good.

Is Arkham Asylum suddenly shit for soccer mons now because it doesn't have frame cancels? Is No More Heroes?

That is exactly what these games are.

Wolverine and Batman are fun games, but they are not in depth action combo games by any stretch. They are beatem ups that have a few combos but as far as action games go they are as basic as you get.

Same sure as hell goes for Heavenly Sword and Enslaved. It's the very reason DMC fans were so pissed that this was the dev team Capcom gave the series to because of how shallow their combat is.

Is No More Heroes?

No More Heroes actually is retroactively shit to me for having an excellent world and characters but so much wasted potential in gameplay.

If only you could take DMC4/3 and skin it over with NMH's graphics, setting, story, characters...my god.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Devil May Cry outsourced to

...Platinum Games

jizz.gif

Top Bottom