• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

In memory of the neogaf DmC defense force (RIP in peace), lets break the bashing for a moment for some speculation.

Since Capcom seems pretty keen to acquire NT and make a franchise out of this, what do you think they had in mind for DmC2? Vergil obviously returns but what's the new premise now that the Fox News police state setting has been resolved.

nbthedude

Also, you're the one calling everything fischer price garbage. I don't remember anybody else bringing it up. Is it so upsetting to you that people enjoy skill oriented play and that there's a difference between low or medium depth games and stuff like the ones I mentioned above?

I was using the exact adjectives other had employed.

I don't have a problem with people that enjoy a type of skilled play that only a small minority of players can or do enjoy. But I don't like the fact that they completely dominate the conversation and define what a "fan" of this franchise is or what others are supposed to want or expect from it.

By your guys own admittance few people who played previous entries played them at that level. I know I never did and I still beat them and enjoyed them. And for me and most of the people who have enjoyed the previous entries, this game will likely be just as fun. But I feel like there is no room for our fun conversation for all the baying at the moon. That is actually one reason I hope someone makes a PC thread so I can have a place to talk about the game outside of this circus because I assume most of those outraged are probably playing on consoles.

DatDude

Banned
I've never played a DMC game in my life.

I'm a huge fan of Ninja Theory. I really loved Enslaved (even though it had shortcomings), and I really was fond of Heavenly Sword.

I'm a gamer who likes good narrative, and who likes a game that isn't generic (like some cod clone, or some generic fps that takes place in Jerkoffstan) and is creative with what there trying to do (I'm okay with generic combat..but I like unique settings, and unique themes).

Should this game be on my radar gaf based on the above?

zoukka

I'm a huge fan of Ninja Theory. I really loved Enslaved (even though it had shortcomings), and I really was fond of Heavenly Sword.

I'm a gamer who likes good narrative, and who likes a game that isn't generic (like some cod clone, or some generic fps that takes place in Jerkoffstan) and is creative with what there trying to do (I'm okay with generic combat..but I like unique settings, and unique themes).

Maybe.

Dahbomb

In memory of the neogaf DmC defense force (RIP in peace), lets break the bashing for a moment for some speculation.

Since Capcom seems pretty keen to acquire NT and make a franchise out of this, what do you think they had in mind for DmC2? Vergil obviously returns but what's the new premise now that the Fox News police state setting has been resolved.
I already made the FAQ post in memory of GAF DmC defense force (RIP in peace). Let's just hope the OT creator edits that in.

You know I asked myself that question and I really have no clue where they can take the new series from here. All I know is that they are going to need a new "gimmick" with the environments because they can't use that again... that much is pretty obvious from that ending.

Another thing is that the Sparda sword or his power is irrelevant in this universe. Dante/Vergil are stronger than Sparda because they are Nephilim. Maybe in the sequel they can have more Nephilim characters and show more of the Angel universe. That would be a good place to start for the sequel.

Yes.

nbthedude

But DmC is NOT more of an adventure game and if anything it's more linear than the previous DMC games. Your statement of interconnected arena fights is in fact what DmC exactly is. There is no real exploration or sense of adventure... you just go through corridor sequences (that are disguised by morphing environments which hardly impact you much).

The original DMC also had stellar enemy and boss designs... so far this game has neither. I saw one or two enemies that I actually liked the rest have been generic as hell almost on the same tier as DMC2.

If you are right then I would be bummed about that. Have you already played through the ga,e and can confirm that?

Beth Cyra

DmC will have better then generic/boring combat. And if you like their story telling, then it couldn't hurt to give it a shot. It looks to be a better game then either HS or Enslaved.

Dahbomb

If you are right then I would be bummed about that. Have you already played through the ga,e and can confirm that?
I have not played through the game but I have seen pretty much every video they have put out for the game plus read most of the reviews/previews. They all state that and in fact it was the reviewers who said the game is more linear than previous DMC games.

Thankfully there is no backtracking though.

For a sequel NT could up the ante and do settings in hell (demon)/heaven (angels), and in that sense they can make changes to Dante's DT and setting up a battle against Nelo Angelo

I was using the exact adjectives other had employed.

I don't have a problem with people that enjoy a type of skilled play that only a small minority of players can or do enjoy. But I don't like the fact that they completely dominate the conversation and define what a "fan" of this franchise is or what others are supposed to want or expect from it.

By your guys own admittance few people who played previous entries played them at that level. I know I never did and I still beat them and enjoyed them. And for me and most of the people who have enjoyed the previous entries, this game will likely be just as fun. But I feel like there is no room for our fun conversation for all the baying at the moon. That is actually one reason I hope someone makes a PC thread so I can have a place to talk about the game outside of this circus because I assume most of those outraged are probably playing on consoles.

The vast majority of people who care enough about the DMC series are those who care about the games having that level of depth. If you want to just talk about the game in mindlessly positive terms without any critical perspective I can suggest that you try gamefaqs.

As for your mention of a PC thread, I doubt one will be made, and even so, there's almost no chance of it being any different as I imagine a good many of us folks that are either disappointed or cautiously skeptical are getting the PC version. I mean, I know I am. I know Dahbomb is.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Sparda is still alive in this game's continuity so I would like to see him make a proper appearance. Put a bigger focus on the Angel/Nephilim aspect because right now that's a pointless change to the lore.

nbthedude

The vast majority of people who care enough about the DMC series are those who care about the games having that level of depth. If you want to just talk about the game in mindlessly positive terms without any critical perspective I can suggest that you try gamefaqs.

That is pretty much the exact type of attitude I was referring to in my post so thanks for validating my concerns, I guess.

Man, the fuck is with the weird convergence of the Nephilim throughout games this year? I don't think I ever heard the term before 2012 but suddenly they seemed to be everywhere.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I pre-purchased on steam, I was scared on how it would preform since it's using UE3. 360 may run it pretty solid but iono about ps3

Dahbomb

Sparda is still alive in this game's continuity so I would like to see him make a proper appearance. Put a bigger focus on the Angel/Nephilim aspect because right now that's a pointless change to the lore.
I don't think they can go forward with that anymore.

Man, the fuck is with the weird convergence of the Nephilim throughout games this year?
I saw it in 3 games last year. D3, Darksiders 2 and DmC.

Raonak

Banned
since he's meant to be half angel, do you think Donte will get an angel trigger or even fight angel enemies in future entries of this depressing reboot?

That is pretty much the exact type of attitude I was referring to in my post so thanks for validating my concerns, I guess.
I guess the difference is whether the game's combat is "good" or if it's "good enough". I think everyone except the exceptionally fanatical would agree with you on the first point, but many (myself included) would argue the second.
I already made the FAQ post in memory of GAF DmC defense force (RIP in peace). Let's just hope the OT creator edits that in.

You know I asked myself that question and I really have no clue where they can take the new series from here. All I know is that they are going to need a new "gimmick" with the environments because they can't use that again... that much is pretty obvious from that ending.

Another thing is that the Sparda sword or his power is irrelevant in this universe. Dante/Vergil are stronger than Sparda because they are Nephilim. Maybe in the sequel they can have more Nephilim characters and show more of the Angel universe. That would be a good place to start for the sequel.
Were angels ever in the original DMC continuity?

I suppose having Nephilim villains would be interesting, just so there would be more man-sized boss fights, or villains directly relevant to Dante's character. Blob bosses aren't particularly compelling, and according to reports that's what we're getting in this game.

Is it pretty common knowledge that you can "New Game+" a new playthrough without needing to beat the game? In other words, you can play and unlock 10 or so chapters on normal difficulty and then start a hard playthrough on the first chapter with all the moves you've unlocked so far. Been toying around with the review copy and I just noticed this.

Dahbomb

since he's meant to be half angel, do you think Donte will get an angel trigger or even fight angel enemies in future entries of this depressing reboot?
I actually thought that was happen in this game. In fact I thought originally that Quicksilver-ish DT was his Angel Trigger and he would get a real DT later on in the game.

The Angel side of the lore is not explored much at all.

Is it pretty common knowledge that you can "New Game+" a new playthrough without needing to beat the game? In other words, you can play and unlock 10 or so chapters on normal difficulty and then start a hard playthrough on the first chapter with all the moves you've unlocked so far. Been toying around with the review copy and I just noticed this.
Yes this is common knowledge. It's how it was in DMC3/DMC4.

Were angels ever in the original DMC continuity?
There wasn't even a god in the original DMC continuity nor was there a heaven. The whole DMC universe was very cynical... basically what humans perceived as heaven was actually hell. A lot of the Hellish areas in DMC look like Heaven. I always thought that was cool. Even Mundus presents himself as an angel and his palace is like this heavenly marbled place. What humans worshiped as a god was a demon as well. Dante is essentially the Jesus Christ of the series.

However people say that the whole Time Bangle/Eva being a witch Easter Egg in Bayonetta really throws the whole DMC lore into a loop. I don't put much stock into it but that would be cool to have just for a Bayonetta x DMC crossover.

Keasar

Played the demo, thought it looked nice, combat controlled nice, hated the new Dante (who is just being an ass), thought the combo system didnt work at all,

tumblr_lyhsnjCxyy1qfriu3o1_500.gif

Im out.

Riposte

So the conclusion is that this game is easy compared to previous DMCs?

I saw it in 3 games last year. D3, Darksiders 2 and DmC.

El Shaddai.

Resident Evil doesn't need a reboot. Frankly, no series does. The whole "reboot" phenomenon is among the worst marketing tricks around. Revivals don't count.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mechanically dense =/= deep (or good)

There is at least as much depth and skill to the combat in Chivalry as there is in any DMC game, and that game's combat is technically simpler than any of the games being discussed.

How mechanically dense a game is, or demanding of reflexes/frame counting a game is, is not a qualitative measure of it's gameplay. Don't let yourself wander into that argument.
The satisfaction from the depth comes from the intellectual and visceral thrill of discovering and exploring engaging game systems. I would argue that Chivalry's and DMC's depth come from a similar activity. Which is picking the combat systems apart in order to conquer increasingly skillful enemies. When that aspect is removed then all you have left is styling for styling's sake, which isn't as engaging unless there's some mechanical complexity.

Endo Punk

Once the game is out we should get proper answers from Capcom and NT. Right now it's all PR. Capcom wants to make NT look good so fans support DmC and NT doing the same. I am sure the ugly side will come out sometime after release. And no I really don't think DmC will get a sequel. I doubt the development went as smoothly as people think. Capcom probably ended up spending more than they thought they would. I am calling it now Capcom will not want to work with NT again .

SkylineRKR

But DmC is NOT more of an adventure game and if anything it's more linear than the previous DMC games. Your statement of interconnected arena fights is in fact what DmC exactly is. There is no real exploration or sense of adventure... you just go through corridor sequences (that are disguised by morphing environments which hardly impact you much).

The original DMC also had stellar enemy and boss designs... so far this game has neither. I saw one or two enemies that I actually liked the rest have been generic as hell almost on the same tier as DMC2.

Sounds like the demo. I got the same impression from that. You can't go back at all. Its just moving forward, doing some platform stuff and clear rooms. This combined with a much less challenging difficulty and broken ranking system certainly makes DmC a one way ticket thats probably not worth the full buck at all.

Riposte

The depth of Chivalry comes mainly from the fact you face human opponents. There is also depth in teamwork (which actually might come at the expense the depth you'd normally find from duels, since this can start to become too unpredictable with a certain number of opponents).

EDIT: I think NT wants to make original IP. Maybe they have a certain thing for Devil May Cry though.

Mechanically dense =/= deep (or good)

There is at least as much depth and skill to the combat in Chivalry as there is in any DMC game, and that game's combat is technically simpler than any of the games being discussed.

How mechanically dense a game is, or demanding of reflexes/frame counting a game is, is not a qualitative measure of it's gameplay. Don't let yourself wander into that argument.

Absolutely. DmC however is imitating the old style poorly.

nbthedude

I have not played through the game but I have seen pretty much every video they have put out for the game plus read most of the reviews/previews. They all state that and in fact it was the reviewers who said the game is more linear than previous DMC games.

Thankfully there is no backtracking though.

Sources? This got me to look at a few previews. Here are the bis related to level design in the most recent ones I could find:

IGN said:
Initially the level design looks a bit disappointingly-reminiscent of Shadows of the Damned, but it quickly becomes apparent that there's more to the game than this. Ninja Theory soon starts flexing its muscles. While it's not all staggeringly original, the style of the Limbo stages is dynamic, and atmosphere seeps from the environments. There are also familiar elements such as the odd European streets seen in earlier games (and in Bayonetta, for that matter).

Little touches such as the gorgeous lighting and floating platforms that rock and give way when you land on them elevate the level design above standard fare. And, while Dante looks a little too much like he got rejected from One Direction for being too hairless, seemingly inconsequential animations such as when he staggers after delivering a heavy blow put him on just the right side of 'believable' (as far as these things go).

1up said:
Many will remember that Bayonetta -- the slightly-gaudy-but-ultimately-amazing action game by former Devil May Cry director Hideki Kamiya -- had a similar idea called purgatorio, but Ninja Theory transforms the environment into a surrealist painting filled with floating debris and wild color tones. In fact, it's sometimes hard to believe this game came from Unreal Engine 3 -- a development tool usually associated with grey and brown surfaces and chiseled character models. If you've played Enslaved, this shouldn't come as a surprise, but the visual treatment is a welcome change from the gothic structures and extraneous architecture typically associated with Devil May Cry.

Zen

Banned
Once the game is out we should get proper answers from Capcom and NT. Right now it's all PR. Capcom wants to make NT look good so fans support DmC and NT doing the same. I am sure the ugly side will come out sometime after release. And no I really don't think DmC will get a sequel. I doubt the development went as smoothly as people think. Capcom probably ended up spending more than they thought they would. I am calling it now Capcom will not want to work with NT again .

Well, they've already been cited as saying that they do want to work with them again.

I really didn't get that experience at all when going through the demo. There were a few optional hallways, secret sub missions, and optional mini games that needed you to scour the environment to collect enough tokens to unlock; combined with the platformong, It wasn't DMC levels of exploration, but it seems a huge improvement over 3-4 level design.

Dahbomb

Sources? This got me to look at a few previews. Here are the bis related to level design in the most recent ones I could find:
None of the stuff you posted has anything to do with how the levels are actually designed mechanically or how open/linear they are. It's all describing how the environments LOOK (which I still say they look damn good in DmC for the most part).

It's late here and I am going to bed... I will try to find the preview in the morning.

Dahbomb

I really didn't get that experience at all when going through the demo. There were a few optional hallways, secret sub missions, and optional mini games that needed you to scour the environment to collect enough tokens to unlock; combined with the platformong, It wasn't DMC levels of exploration, but it seems a huge improvement over 3-4 level design.
All of that is present in previous games as well. Stuff like finding hidden red orbs spots, blue orb fragments, items and secret missions have always been in DMC games. I am talking about the path towards your main objective that is getting to the next area is very straightforward. They don't even give you a map to look in.

V_Arnold

The game is definitely more open than DMC4, the demo was specifically cut to make it look like it is not (and even there, there were a few secrets). From what I have played (just 3 hours in, replayed the first two levels several times and on m3), these levels have quite a bit of optional exploration to do -especially if you go back with the angel/demon grab skills already equipped.

All of that is present in previous games as well. Stuff like finding hidden red orbs spots, blue orb fragments, items and secret missions have always been in DMC games. I am talking about the path towards your main objective that is getting to the next area is very straightforward. They don't even give you a map to look in.

As I said above: it is not THAT straightforward. In some cases, less than in, say, DMC4, again :p This might get more linear on later level, will check back on it once I am there :D

V_Arnold

Also, fuck me, I just spent 20 minutes dying over and over on a traversal-type part of a mission. Why? Because I was not alerted that I got the angel dash (or was it automatically mine when I got the angel grab? o_O) and I tried going from one platform to another and then another and another without that plus dash....

It was painful. I thought it was a bug. Phew :p

Dahbomb

I was actually talking about DMC3 because that's what the preview mentioned. DMC4 should not be brought up in any talk of level designs.

V_Arnold can you confirm that style meter is the same as the demo?

BadAss2961

The game is definitely more open than DMC4, the demo was specifically cut to make it look like it is not (and even there, there were a few secrets). From what I have played (just 3 hours in, replayed the first two levels several times and on m3), these levels have quite a bit of optional exploration to do -especially if you go back with the angel/demon grab skills already equipped.

As I said above: it is not THAT straightforward. In some cases, less than in, say, DMC4, again :p This might get more linear on later level, will check back on it once I am there :D
Most Devil May Cry levels are built around areas with several rooms for you to explore and backtrack through. It's a particular way in which the games are designed, part of its Resident Evil roots.

Sure there's some exploring to be had within DmC's areas, but it doesn't seem to share the RE'ish design of the original games. Or does it?

V_Arnold

I was actually talking about DMC3 because that's what the preview mentioned. DMC4 should not be brought up in any talk of level designs.

V_Arnold can you confirm that style meter is the same as the demo?

I have yet to buy demon dodge, but once I do, I will try that instant SSS stuff if it is possible or not. All I know is that the individual style levels do indeed still stay up (so once I reach S or SS, it stays), while the levels itself decrease (from high S to bottom S, in this example, with a few seconds of inactivity or not varying the attacks enough.)

There has been no update yet for the game (I assume it goes up on release day?) so that might still change a bit.

Most Devil May Cry levels are built around areas with several rooms for you to explore and backtrack through. It's a particular way in which the games are designed, part of its Resident Evil roots.

Sure there's some exploring to be had within DmC's areas, but it doesn't seem to share the RE'ish design of the original games. Or does it?

I would say it is way more progression-oriented (with the morphing environments, you are often physically unable to walk back to some places), but it is not a linear hallway after linear hallway. Here's hoping it stays that way :D

Top Bottom